Solid Defense (Creating a low block) question

Hi guys!

Just finished a season in the MLS playing a 4231, with quite sucess, winning the Supporters Shield. But still conceding a few, and I am the type to love a hard thought 1-0, 2-0 win over 3-1 etc. 
My tactic this year was:
         GK
FBs CD BPD FBa

DLPs  CMd/BWMd                 Flexible - Control

Wa  APa   IFa

TMa

So I would say that is rather balanced, I love to player much wider, and get the ball zipping side to side vertically opening up spaces before a cross to come in. I mixed this with high line/pressing combo which seems to always work. 

But enough jibber jabber, my question is how can I revert this to a low block, so solid deeper defense with standing off. Those two instructions alone dont do much help. Will I need to drop my wide attacking midfielders to the MC strata or do I just go more fluid with the hope that the attacking mids drop back into defense? Anyone having success creating a well organised defense? 

Also, since im playing much wider, Im guessing I may have to take this off so I can create a compact defense. If this is the case, should I go with much narrower, then exploit flanks with PI for FBa and Wa to stay wider?

Any help much appreciated! 

A couple of things I've noticed about your tactic.

1. You have an FB(a) and IF(a) on the same side. This will leave huge amounts of space for the opposition to attack when you lose the ball high up the pitch, and will likely pull your CBs out of position as they look to cover.

2. You have 4 players up front all on attack, but no one in there creating space by pulling opposition players out of position, with the small exception of maybe the winger in the right.

Not having a DM, and leaving so much space down the left flank is probably why you're conceding more than you'd like.

Have a think about what the Control mentality does to the risks your team are taking, and compare that to the low block you are after.

For example, where is your defensive line and what is that doing to your pressing?

You could also have a think about your formation.  There is nothing wrong with the 4231, but how could it be changed to reduce some of it's aggressive tendencies (and still retain the 4231 shape)?

Yeah I don't think the 4-2-3-1 is a very fitting base for a "low block" type thing (at least not a version with 2 CMs and 3 AMs). The formation you see on the screen is the defensive formation, so you basically have a load of advanced players, which doesn't seem compatible to me to having them stand off in deep positions.

I play a 4-2-3-1 also, I would like to give up less goals(and lose less games) but it is canceled out by the fact I score more goals than anyone in league.

--------------GK-D------------

FB-A----CD-C---CD-D---FB-S

----------BWM-S---DLP-D------

W-S------AP-S-------W-A

-----------CF-S-----------

Standard, Flexible

play wider, stop short GK Dist, much deeper defense line, Close Down more

FB's, CM's, and Wingers more risky passes, and more crosses

I play on Defensive Away and against good sides.

leads to being beaten over the top about once a game and I give up a lot of Dead ball goals........my goalkeeper makes a stupid mistake about every other game also.

In Vanarama league, I scored 90 goals which topped the league and gave up 48......which was low end of middle of the pack defensively.

but I thinks some of it is due to players not quite fitting the tactic........I'm York in League2 having just been promoted from Vanarama league.

Archived