Managing MLS teams - documentation?

I realize FM is mostly undocumented, but finding how to manage MLS sides seems particularly difficult.  I know enough about the complexities of MLS rules to at least know I am not an expert.  Three times I've run a team to the point when registration needs to be completed but I cannot get designated player designations or resolve other player classification problems.  The messages in FM that suggest where to go to fix problems don't seem to match options in those screens.  But wth the lack of FM documentation in general, it's easy to see how an option can be buried somewhere unexpected.  Perhaps the goal of playing MLS is just to get past registration ;-) but that does make for short games/careers.

In spite of the impressive modelling within FM the game this aspect of the interface is really detracting from the game and my rating of it for MLS is crashing.

Any comments or suggestions on where to find out how to meet MLS requirements in FM?

Cheers,

Good comments.  But I'm finding with MLS rules I know, it's difficult to find where to apply them or review their status in FM.  DPs would be one example.  Clear info on the current distribution of Allocation Funds or where to adjust them.  Perhaps setting up custom player list views?

Feels suspiciously like doing a tax return!

Usually the problem with not being able to resolve registration issues:

DP - "already have 2 (or 3) DP's".. make sure you don't have a "Youth DP" that you may be missing. This has happened to me and my only way around was using in game editor to change the Youth DP contract to Senior and make his wages as close to DP contract as possible.

Other Roster issues: often times Generation Adidas players (contracts) will "graduate" meaning their contracts and roster spot will now count against both the Cap and roster space.  The other spots are usually easily managed and the link below does a good job explaining overall MLS -FM workings.

I don't and never have used the editor to give myself any advantage . However I will say playing MLS the editor has saved me from having to restart a career or potentaily lose a DP-YDP because of the complicated rules and or bugs (?) that this league causes. I am really enjoying MLS this version and think SI have nearly got it nailed finally.

http://www.squawka.com/news/football-manager-2016-mls-guide/537519

Archived