FM 17 : QPR

nextqprmanager

QPR's new crestqpr stadium.jpg

I have started a QPR Career because it has always been my boyhood club, and I like many QPR fans over the years / seasons am exasperated by the way the Club has been run / managed. Just a few seasons back, we were in the Premiership, where Warnock should have got his chance. Mark Hughes came in and messed then left. Good ol Arry next, where we got up somehow through the Play-offs beating Derby with a last minute scrappy goal. We were ill prepared for the Prem this time.

Since then when Chris Ramsay took over with his mate Sir Les upstairs ??, it has been a gentle trickle down, next with JFH then come back Olly !.

I don`t mind admitting it has been a struggle. Not on the pitch though, I did at the start - about 6-8 games I mixed & tried most players in the friendlies, then the first couple of games ; but no I mean financlally. Transfer kitty is £1m, and you will see that Sandro`s add-ons are at least £1.5m !!.

I sold Caulker eventually to Wolfsburg for around £9.5m, but still could not bring in anyone of quality who wanted to come to QPR !!.

I got Freebies Diego Poyet - fairly good, then later Cavenghi - ok ; & loan V Cerny - who develops well.

You start with Smithies being injured at Biddy / Robinson LB at various times, saving grace is Perch [ only RB] is nearly always avail.

Despite all this I was top of the Championship, now 2nd / 3rd in Feb 17 - I don`t really want Play-off lottery.

I did really push for a complete Striker in Jan - I enquired / offered for what seemed like 100 players - ending in frustration - ho hum .......

I can give details of my tactics if interested & do have a vid.

I wondered if anyone out there are managing QPR , and what are your experiences ?

thx all speak soon

Stan Bowles.jpg

MY BACKGROUND

I played the first Championship Manager game, I still have the CD cases looking at me - CM, CM3, CM3, I even paid out for a Special Season 97/98 - we`ll I thought it was special ?? ......

Had a longish break, then I sung `going back to my roots`, after getting annoyed with Fifa 12, then 14, 15 and 16 - esp online, my thumb is still a little bent;

Hence my Youtube channel Fifa Fumb, now Football Fumb.

QPR 5.jpg

SQUAD

I could be wrong, but this is how I see QPR

GK : Smithies - ok for Championship, not sure about Prem ; back-up Ingram ; youth Lumley.

LB : Bidwell & Robinson - both sufficient.

CB`S : Onuoha [ best ], Hall - good, Lynch - cover.

RB : Perch - good, but no back-ups, Kakay / Hamalainen ... not really good enough , Furlong will prob be ok but is on loan.

CDM : Sandro - brought him in from cold of U 23`s, had to on £40/w , made him Captain, Henry Vice Captain - sufficient, Cousins - good, Poyet - cover, Borysiuk - backup.

CM : Luongo - pretty good, but not in my formations.

LM : Gladwin - ok.

RM : Wszolek - ok.

AMC : Chery - jewel at club, top scorer.

ST : Polter - main one, with 12 finishing I think says it all. Sylla is not ST with 10 finishing, ok at LW.

OTHERS :

Washington - ok but was false 9 which didn`t fit my formation. 

El khayati - JFH favour to Burton prob, average, not in my plans, weak.

Mackie - out injured over 1/2 season, when came back - average.

Petrasso - average, Shodipo - average then loaned.

Ngbakoto - average then sold.

Caulker - Good but not better than Onuoha, sold.

Prohouly - not used.

NOTABLE MENTIONS IN RESERVES :

Josh Bowler is meant to shine?, Manning & Darbyshire ??, Grego-Cox maybe something?.

I think this is how to do it / keeping windows open ?

I`ll be back   ..........

TACTICS

FM17 tactic1.png

This is the first Tactic I used [ pls ignore the players shown ] - only look at the positions.

I chose this formation because QPR have 4-5 good DM`s.

I did go on I think 9-10 game unbeaten streak, then couldn`t win 3-4 matches so I changed Tactics.

I think the problem with T1 was conceding goals ( stating the obvious ) , but it was because , after a time, QPR just don`t have the strength in depth with LM & RM`s  - Gladwin & Wszolek [ both average ]. Also Onuoha is the only pacy CB & Wingbacks in Perch & Robinson are limited.

So prob my best line-up was Smithies, Robinson / Bidwell, Hall, Onuoha, Perch, Sandro & Cousins, Gladwin & Wszolek with Chery + Polter up front.

FM17 tactic2.png

So in wanting to be more defensive, especially away from home, I started adopting this Tactic. Employing Chery LW and using Cerny RW , Polter / Cavenghi up top and utilising 3 DM`s - normally Sandro, Cousins / Henry, with Poyet behind. This Tactic worked quite well, but my goals dried up a little. The problem it seemed is that this T2 requires a complete forward [ who I tried to get in Jan to no avail ] & is diff to get, certainly QPR do not have one !.

FM17 tactic3.png

So atm this seems a happy medium [ famous last words ], where I set mentality to control and shape is flexible. Chery is great as cam. I have Sylla as LW ( after a time he is ok ).

Watch this space if I change again.

Currently I am having the squad train all 3 Tactics.

Like I said be patient  ......

Tony Currie.jpg

TRANSFERS

You start the game with a Transfer budget of £1m [ wow ] with a wage budget of £363 - £402k. But as mentioned, Sandro has I think 3 £500k installments - so good-bye to cash!. A problem with QPR is that 2 high earners Caulker & Sandro both £40k / w & Mackie £15k / w need to really go - both on transfer list, prob lose both in summer free. 

OUTS

Caulker - £9.5m to Wolfsburg

Ngbakoto - £1.9m to Sunderland

Conor Washington - loan to Bristol City

Shodipo - loan

INS

Poyet - free

Cavenghi - free

V Cerny - loan

Allef - awaiting WP

STAFF

I have to get rid of Hassle`s mates.

I did bring in Derek Langley [ missed out on Phil Cannon ], Steve Black - good, Booby [ slip ] Mimms - good, Arthur Albiston - ok.

I am contemplating changing U23`s & U18`s and Controversial DofF Sir Les Ferdinand - not sure what he does irl, but none I say none of transfers have happened he has been involved in - any disavantages?, maybe fans backlash?.

Just employed George Rooney as Scout to help Langers - I k its late.

I think I`m gonna keep it real - No Regens / NewGens ??

OOoooohhhh !

Rodney Marsh.jpg

PROGRESS

I agreed with Tony Fernandes [ who I have met and exchanged emails irl oc ], that I would reach Quarters of League Cup, Semi of FA Cup & play-offs in the Championship.

I failed in the League Cup, still in FA - put out Notts F with a Cavenghi hat-trick and have a replay w Sunderland. I could have changed the expectations in the Championship to promotion - to get another £5k, but tooooo risky.

Doing alright atm after a slowish climb, so alternating between top 1-3.

A few dips have coincided with injuries to Robinson & Bidwell, then Onuoha for 5 weeks!, and injury / suspensions mainly to Sandro.

We`ll see but I will be gutted if we don`t make the Prem this season albeit not really prepared - sound familiar?.

January transfer window - the excitement did not contain QPR ! - a damp squib

Moving on ........... the wheels are coming off, dropped to third place, I knew that it was imperitive to get a decent ST - Polter is missing chances even though creating over 20! & Cavenghi hasn`t scored in 10 matches!.

Lost 5-2 away to Sunderland in FA Cup replay with a slightly rested team, scored first as well.

Since then lost at home to 16th placed managerless Cardiff [ Warnock gone ] 2-0 after Sandro was sent off for a straight red - prob payback for resting him at Sunderland. This was all T2 as Steve Black keeps recommending.

So at a cross roads - next home to 22nd place Barnsley - I will probably revert to T1, maybe start a few fringe players?, I may try to recall Wshington [ can`t remember if I can ]. Maybe its best not to go up in first season?.

Ho hum .......

Manager of the month seems along time ago, and btw yes my team meeting went well not, most [ only 4 agreed with me! ] said although losing, things were going well - WOT

I think we`ve turned a corner !

Too many draws and a few losses, QPR dropped down to 3rd place - AND I do not want Play-off lottery.

I received some words of wisdom from `ItsZdan` re. teamtalks etc. - and they work !! - 3 wins on the bounce to date [ vid of last game up on youtube soon ] - into 2nd auto place ....... spk soon

Away to Derby sitting in 3rd place, 4 points difference - you know what I`m gonna tell you, they closed it to 1 point !!. They scored in 5th minute, sat back, we had 61% poss, 20 shots & lost ; oh & lost my only recognised RB Perch for the rest of season. Luongo is moaning & saying he`s off - was thinking of re-training him as RWB?.

Just received MoM again - poison chalice that .....

Without a RB, I tried Luongo - he gave a way pen, drew 1-1, & Wslolek? - no good, didnt want to risk Kakay, again 1-1.

Back to Onuoha - more consistant.

Getting nail biting, away match vs Brentford [ local Derby ] - last to play 1 point in it. Went 0-1 up, then 1-2 up. I changed 3 players & tactics to control & flexible - won 2-4 ; 4 points difference - wey hay.

Just won 2-1 at home to Notts Forest - one missed pen each !.

Norwich have moved into 3rd spot ahead of Derby, 3 points behind us & we play them away in the last Championship game of the Season. Although we have a better goal difference of 13 I think [ 38 to 25 ] ; we should be promoted, although no one is saying anything?? .........

We went away to Norwich and won 0-2, fantastic feeling. Came 2nd / Runners Up by 5 points - YES !.

PROMOTION

5942a76302106_KevinGallen.thumb.jpg.76feead87224a6b443fdcb99f8a6edf0.jpg

We have made it !!!

Take note Ian Holloway, with almost the same existing squad. I played Poyet & Cavenghi sporadically, Cerny more.

Planning for the Premiership now - ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think I will try to extend Chery`s Contract, not sure about Polter [ missed loads of chances ] despite finishing with 21 ish goals.

I will try to sign Cerny permanently. Not sure about extending Onuoha`s?, maybe try to get some experience?, going against Club`s Youth philosophy. Staff needs to change also, might kick out Sir Les, but trying to get in good U18`s & U23`s better Coaches is diff. 

speak soon .....

A little bit of movement, got rid of Sir Les, he settled for £0.5M, if I sacked him he would have got a cool £1M - greedy bast.

Steve Black has been badgering me for new Staff, got in Fitness Coach & Mervyn Day as Scout ; not replacing D of F.

Might as well do TRANSFERS HERE [ you`re not going to bother scrolling up R U? ]

So far ......

Zach Clough - prob paid too much for him around £4M.

Long term Loans - I panicked :

James Wilson & Callum Gribbin , both from Man. Utd.

Got others lined up - roll on July 1st !

Gonna try a new 523 in the Prem , need to bring in the right players for this formation :

itszdan-523-devil-tactic-fm17.png

Pls have a look at my vids, thx

• 2 weeks later...

PREMIERSHIP

Terry.thumb.jpg.8e19e9e5e39326bfb580e530e8c87284.jpg

More to come ...........

PRE-SEASON -

Trying to get in Loans for a ball-playing CB, Play-maker CM and Complete Forward ST - all to no avail atm.

My No.2 LB / LWB Bidwell wanted to shoot off , so I transfer-listed him, recd low offers 900k [ bought for £3.5m ] , event have accepted £3.1m , not sold hardly any players, funds low, Board have blocked decent Transfers incl. Loans !!, then my No.1 LWB Robinson breaks his leg vs OL in PS Friendly - out for 7 months !!, ho-hum ............

Another aspect re. cash flow / transfers that QPR Managers should be aware of , is that many players ( & staff ) , are on Promotion wage increases / bonuses - it buggers up things a little - have to wait to sell  ..........

Here at long last are my Transfers for my first Premiership Season :

https://gyazo.com/74e19247806131857cdfbd45d90651fc

[ edit plus Jamie Mackie , Karl Henry & Youth player all left on frees ].

Dare I say it, but I am Chuffed !, only time will tell though, I know the squad is full of young players, but I`m excited !

speak soon  ........

Pre-Season Matches going well :

Beat B Dortmund 2-3 away from home, thrashed Ajax & AC Milan at home, then just drew 1-1 away to Inter [ last minute goal for them ! ].

Signed a Physio ( yawn ) & my Ol` friend Scout Ernie Tippett [ to scour England for young promising talent ].

Just can`t seem to bring in top quality staff - prob have to wait for Rep to go up?.

The tactic is taking some time to get to know - one last match vs London Utd. ?? to give the fringe players` a run-out.

First Prem. match of the season vs Bournemouth.

Not_a_great_start.thumb.png.4b41411200ecf871b09d79370d3a553e.png

Not a great start !

Villalibre_injured.thumb.png.4331d8ac6ed9162e676d322a49a2cff5.png

Main Striker injured - out for the Season !

5894675830242_Thats_better.thumb.png.7c8788502f6ee428b0cf1fd1c40f350f.png

That`s better !

[ love my exclamation marks ]

I was getting worried. Patchy start, but what do you expect from a newly assembled squad, playing a different formation & tactic ; in the Premiership?.

Once we get a settled team, we will be okay.

Oh yes I forgot to say, 2 of my player`s got straight reds in 2 of those games.

I am Training them with a new Tactic also, to maybe start Christmas, especially if results are still patchy.

STAFF :

I just employed Phil Neville [ setting aside my IRL differences ], to replace a Fitness Coach?? ; Dave Billongs or something. Phil is ( meant to be ) Professional, so I hope the first of many in 2018, when a lot of Contracts expire ; to improve Professionalism at the Club.

I did not know, that Good Ol Sir Les, employed an U18 Coach on £6250 / week ????. I must admit, I would like to get Gerry Francis as some kind of Ambassador, but I am not sure if it is possible?.

Next time ....

• 2 weeks later...

After 14 years as season ticket holder I gave up in 08-09. Italian money led to mercenaries turning up to play each month. Then the premier league promotion and Hughes fiasco with overpaid rubbish players just made it worse, to the point where I wouldn't even consider myself an armchair fan anymore.

I've always had family ties to Arsenal.. but beyond that I still haven't settled on a new team to support.

Hopefully you can restore QPR to former glories with good personalities! the glory years for me were actually some of our least successful seasons down in div 2 .... still chat to Gareth Ainsworth about those years at the pub every so often as he frequents my regular.

Westy, Thanks for your reply. Yes I liked Gareth`s air guitar at the corner flags after scoring & sprints if he was subbed.

I stopped my Season Ticket after the 14/15 relegation - so frustrating especially given that it was so achievable to stay up.

I must admit we still need to lose the tag of joke team [ I hate to say it but the current owner does not help ] at least he`s reduced his tweets.

the 75 / 76 season got me hooked, but if it goes bad, I blame me Dad !.

QPR is my local Professional Team, and yes I intend to bring the Club to previous glories, but in the right way.

I didn't see them live until 94 ... my Uncle who was on the Arsenal board took us to see Arsenal in the exec box... QPR won 3-1 with goals from Gallen (one of my all time fav players) Allen and Impey ... and the infamous John Faxe Jensen goal! Needless to say I left the game a QPR fan (glory hunter [the irony]).

At that time there were always great characters and loyal players... and obviously you were lucky enough to see some real club legends play ... but right up until the end of Holloway time we always seem to have a good bunch of loyal players that genuinely seemed to get on with each other and have a good rapport with fans. That no longer exists... maybe Holloway can restore it ... but even he was a bit of a jest.. great for us until he let it get to his head just because he was on Soccer Saturday or Football Focus every Saturday as some sort of comedian!

Yeh Holloway - his first time as Manager I remember the fans buying 2 players` Shittu & Doudou [ quite apt really ]. I did say that he is probably one manager who deserves to have some money to spend, we`ll see .....

ps. West Country accent is loved on Sky

• 3 weeks later...

Tactic___Squad.thumb.png.b92ffd20cbd12f672212073315ebcd0a.png

This is my current Squad / Tactic December 17

I must admit I forgot about Premier League 25 man squad , we are already out of the League Cup !, so I will try to move on some in Jan 18.

Injuries.thumb.png.9f9db0bd07890c54f395b185adadee0e.png

Ho hum .....

Injuries!.thumb.png.c403a49723a631b8cab441d334be1231.png

It gets better don`t it !

If it wasn`t a struggle before to stay in the Prem , it is now !

We are 15th in the table. I might switch Tactic but I will need at least one LW probably.

Injuries_!!.thumb.png.7f0c45a8bc5e1baef670ea3a1e1cb3e8.png

Have I mentioned injuries ?

Injuries_!!!.thumb.png.6388aa640765b1e5bf4a93423b5da289.png

It goes on ....

5942a7c9d15bb_BobHazell.thumb.jpg.af66a35a03d8483fe496d2915eb0c34b.jpg

I must be doing something right !

Job_Offer.thumb.png.0c39841f125e9761abe71c975f3f3a4d.png

and

Job_Offer_2.thumb.png.88f46c4ac75a90b6aa4f911dca5db190.png

after turning them both down, back to QPR and my Schedule / Calendar

Half_Season_Results.thumb.png.9de2cf7914d5b5d3ec893aa561447909.png

We`re doing alright, sort out a few players in January, I mean sell [ probably Lynch & Poyet etc.], maybe bring in a good LM and consolidate, improve the cohesion, staying in the Prem.

Grego-Cox wants 1st team football, which is difficult to give him in the Prem. We have a Cup match with Crystal Palace, so it will be up to him plus Doughty, Shodipo & Prohouly to prove to me they have a future when playing the different formation with LM & RM ......

Job_Interview.thumb.png.14f3929c1066b36e7234686ea84f7523.png

Job Interview ! - Southampton, I declined of course.

and then ......

Injuries_!!!!.thumb.png.749b6d74631767d243902f45e3b8ad4a.png

This game does try to make it more difficult / interesting.

APOLOGIES FOR TURNING THIS INTO A CAREER STYLE.

Just sold James Perch for £250k [ I know but he kept moaning and said it was a promise ] he was 32 years old though ( in the Prem  - na ).

I played Palace in the cup with my new tactic 4222 - did not work , lost 1-3, Doughty scored ( not sure about him ), along with a few others Contracts ending at the end of this 2018 Season.

I am scouting like mad , if I can get a Prem quality CB in this Jan Transfer Window, I may sneakily sell Onuoha - what!!, Fans revolt. But in my defence he is on £38k/w, is 31 years old, if I give him a new contract he will want £50k/w - and he is not worth it - I can get better / cheaper.

I have given Prohouly a chance along with Doughty - If I can stay in Prem - I am 13th atm , with 30 points - wow, I may give the home-grown `talent` a chance.

We will see after Feb 1st .....

You have probably guessed by now that not many of the Squad I inherited, are worth keeping [ to be proved wrong ! ].

Currently playing for QPR for me still in the prem are Grant Hall and Jason Cousins ; Robinson is just returning from a long injury who was good for me in the Championship - rewarded with a new contract. My long-term aim is to have a Team mainly consisting of home-grown talent. 

I am keeping my eye on a local lad 16 y o ST in the Youth Team - I have just promoted him - hopefully I will see better Youth coming through in the next 2 Seasons.

Job_Interview_2_.thumb.png.3ee3b72de3512af8fff0726ca5af485a.png

I must be doing alright to get a 3rd Interview OR probably I am just cheap !!

THE FUTURE

Youth_Facilities.thumb.png.97f7598b4904a4a0ea4de064cfceeec1.png

THE FUTURE STARS ?

Youth_Intake.thumb.png.e63e2f79791b7988cd5ebaafdb300e53.png

• 1 month later...

Good to see there's finally a thread!

As a QPR fan the past few seasons have tested my patience too. I constantly feel as if the spirit has been sucked from the club. They were hesitant to allow a fan-organised beenfit game for Stan Bowles due to "monetary reasons", a huge slap in the face for fans who've had to witness us paying out the backside for muck such as Jose Bosingwa and Vargas in recent years. Holloway returning was much needed, and finally bringing kids such as Ryan Manning and Shodipo through and them excelling has me excited for a better future.

I'll be buying FM17 in the coming weeks and I'll hope to start my annual QPR save then. It'll be nice for the first time in years not to have to deal with a stupid wage budget (although Sandro and Caulker will need to be offloaded).

JDeeguain, Thank you for your post & you are welcome. Yes I totally understand your frustrations. It will be interesting to look at another save. Sadly, probably because I am an oldy returning to the game, I have played safe and tried to bring in new talent ; but if I was more experienced, maybe I could have used more of the existing squad in the prem, but sadly i don`t think they are up to it.

Good luck with your game!.

@nextqprmanager

I found the centre back thread to be of great use to get a good centre back. You should take a look at it when you have time. I bought Tisserand for Valencia and he has been a revelation. Scouted some from Portugal (not from the big 3 of Sporting, Porto and Benfica) who are not bad too and are reasonably priced. 

1 hour ago, inthisspace said:

@nextqprmanager

I found the centre back thread to be of great use to get a good centre back. You should take a look at it when you have time. I bought Tisserand for Valencia and he has been a revelation. Scouted some from Portugal (not from the big 3 of Sporting, Porto and Benfica) who are not bad too and are reasonably priced. 

Thx yes I have read the CB thread at least twice. btw Tisserand turned me down - he wanted European football. I have bids in for Lucas, Kimpembe, Klostermann ; Mammana may be coming in on loan?, Kyriakos Papadopoulos has agreed terms but I will probably reject.

News of Transfers coming soon  ............

Just when I needed inspiration for a new save... I clicked good player guide by mistake, meaning to go on tactics, and this jumped out as a post id previously commented on.

good going... and my next save is finally a QPR save.

20 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Just when I needed inspiration for a new save... I clicked good player guide by mistake, meaning to go on tactics, and this jumped out as a post id previously commented on.

good going... and my next save is finally a QPR save.

Westy8chimp, good luck, you`ll probably do better than me !

I'm going 2 up top for a change ... haven't played games yet but signed; Kuranyi, Chamakh, Cassano, Distin and Essien on free and Maitland-Niles on loan.

Direct football I think with Smith, Kuranyi up top and Chamakh in reserve. Cassano as a floating playmaker.

6 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I'm going 2 up top for a change ... haven't played games yet but signed; Kuranyi, Chamakh, Cassano, Distin and Essien on free and Maitland-Niles on loan.

Direct football I think with Smith, Kuranyi up top and Chamakh in reserve. Cassano as a floating playmaker.

You`re probably doing the right thing going with experience. I went for youth and now I am struggling.

ps. Not sure about ex Chelsea Essien though :lol:

had a mega session yesterday as I was working from home.

my transfer policy has backfired 1) no pace 2) I didn't really pay attention to their contracts.. they've all had sneaky extensions based on games played 5/10/15 etc ... I only wanted them so I could clear out some of the rubbish and create a transfer kitty!!

I just got to Jan 1st... struggling to settle on a tactic ... and had no consistency ... I'm 9th keep going on mini runs .. 3-5 games unbeaten then 3-5 games without a win.

Think I will be happy to hover around 10th, then next season can have a full clear out and get on top of finances. Need to revamp the junior coaching and facilities ... terrible youth squad!

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

seriously missing Chery ... he was awesome on FM16

tbh, Chery was my top goal scorer, Polter just behind. Yes sadly there is not much talent at QPR - I feel bad for replacing everyone , player by player.

btw - know any good set pieces?

16 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

know any good set pieces?

takers or routines? (I never change routines from the default... because on previous FMs you could always find a way of scoring way too many)

I think I've only scored 1 corner in 20 odd matches... Goss was the taker..Onuoha the finisher.

1 Free kick scored.. Bidwell!

Season 3 - start

2018-19 Title odds first ....

Title_odds.thumb.png.9266ee6ca5c080e13005485e55a9d78a.png

1000-1 to finish 19th !

Watford_Job.thumb.png.8813706411479cef97e223f81ae9bda4.png

I think I am too cheap - another job offer from Watford !

QPR_S3_Transfers.thumb.png.c7bf9f9d8a710106e858bf8c5e08f1e2.png

TRANSFER OUTS AND INS

I mainly signed youngsters / wonderkids, but I did try to get experience, but most did not want to come / wanted far too much money. The philosophy is to have a young squad - plan / build for the future, gain loyalty, and in the process the wages will hopefully be lower.

Defoe_retires_.thumb.png.4551c46946ec1cc67b9e4e991f9a4d64.png

Odd one - Defoe retires after me paying £425k for him buying him !!

Lemos_set_back.thumb.png.eee4678a6efd2e169a65653960191e7e.png

Would have been good to get Lemos - wonderkid CB, but alas not to be.

Tisserand_turn_down.thumb.png.495996da3b0e8d4aafe3daadab8a84ae.png

Tisserand - I think Reputation is against us !!

TACTICS

I changed from my favoured 5-2-3 last season formation to a 4-3-1-2. I thought that my young 3 strikers were not taking their chances, and there was too much of a big gap in midfield where the 2 midfielders were struggling a little. I lost the first 2 Prem matches messing a little , but hopefully now after 2 wins, we should have a good season.

STAFF

I have replaced the staff who left / out of contract, with better more professional staff.

U23 and U18 results have improved I think.

onward & upward

Speak soon .....

• 4 weeks later...

Season 3 - January Update

I think this second Season in the Premiership is going to be one of consolidation. We took 6 points from 5 matches, and now 30 points from 25 matches, so the same progress. It is progress, because hopefully we can get those 10 points for safety easier than last Season, which was all about Survival.

As most of you readers` will know, bringing in a lot of new faces takes time for the team to settle, with cohesion etc..

But we`re doing okay at times :

TOTW.thumb.png.5340c64d7140c6b9ee0386070182b1ae.png

The only new January Signing is San Emeterio Borja, which was forced upon me, as Andrea Conti had his head turned by Napoli, who wanted him cheap : I purchased him for £4.2m, to the fans displeasure, they wanted him for £6.5m [ buy-out clause £9.75m ] - sold him to FCP for £8.5m rising to £10m. Borja hopefully will be better!.

I let my Contract go down to 6 months. QPR offered me £17k/w, I reduced it to £15k / w. Probably why I get these :

Southampton_Job.thumb.png.eb7033266e5c1b8f04092ec547dcb2f9.png

So now I am taking a slightly different approach to Player recruitment. I have triggered a 1 year extension for my back-up GK Sam Johnstone, offered Furlong a new contract as back-up RB, and given Grant Hall a new Contract after the January Transfer window closed - especially as he is `favoured personnel` !.

ORIGINAL QPR PLAYERS` STILL PLAYING FOR ME IN FIRST TEAM :

Robinson, Cousins, Hall & Furlong [ ocassionally ].

TACTICS

Patchy at best - I think this is because of my plan to have 3 Tactics, one attacking, one counter attack and one `wall` defending.

Main Tactic :

592ffdb640347_4312Tacticroles.thumb.jpg.3af781863b250db16c7413b7f37465e9.jpg

Instructions :

592ffde5c41a2_4312Tacticinstructions.thumb.jpg.38a77a557db86e4ce3beb4da0ea46567.jpg

I am probably going to stick with the main one - attacking for the rest of the Season, blood some Youth after we are safe, and as I said `consolidate`.

I have probably most of all the `wonderkids` that I want, so hopefully it just a matter of time, tweaking the tactics etc., and ave a strong unit for Season 4.

I have a few Youth players` who are showing some kind of promise , but not sure about this Youth Intake :

Youth_Intake_March_19.thumb.png.b537e2c336ba29c80ad1633c80fe2051.png

I think 2019 there is a HOYD and Chief Scout who I would like to change with - we`ll see, so as to improve the Staff and Intake. I have Mick Halstall as HOYD, personality a little suspect.

I suppose this is more realistic, it taking time to gel / come to fruition. It`s like I put out the same team who thrashed Swansea 5-0, then lost to Everton. FM keeps you on your toes.

Enjoy !

Speak soon ....

• 2 weeks later...

End of Season 3

5942cc79f27a3_LesFerdinandTrevorSinclair.thumb.jpg.e725020ce4388a437c65916030374564.jpg

We finished 13th this season, which initially I was a little disappointed with, especially losing at home to Liverpool 0-3, away to Chelsea 1-0, and 2-0 to Man City ; with my last 3 matches.

However, we have improved !, from 14th, scoring 4 more goals etc.

QPR_S3_Finish.thumb.png.919648716368e1049515f3859798257e.png

What do we need to do to finish in the top half next Season ?

( as I have promised a few of last season signings ! ), and don`t say just buy world class players`.

I did chop & change with Tactics last Season, and also we had a lot of new players` to gel etc.

So my plan for Season 4, is to probably keep all my Wonderkids, don`t buy any players`, offload some original dross ;

and keep the 2 Tactics , add a third and keep them all season - sound boring enough ?.

QPR_Best_11_2019.thumb.png.688556231cdcfc4189ff961aeb9e19b9.png

QPR Best 11

Not sure about this - mostly Championship players` ??.

QPR_S3_2019_Awards.thumb.png.6de602a66fdb0eef6c417f228e236864.png

End of Season Awards

Fans probably like Robinson - did well for me, good average rating.

Simeone though ??

QPR_New_Stadium_SBP.thumb.png.c9b62bb40d13e5dbb24b8c5bc5c169b0.png

New Stadium

The best news ?, oh wait the name !, yes !!

I know I`m a moaner but 25000 capacity ?, from 19000, cautious.

Anyway speak soon for S4 ..........

• 5 weeks later...

Season 4

I will start off by showing you my current First Team Squad :

QPR_Squad_Sept_19_(1_of_2).thumb.png.df445f211615ef77d43b5558f973fa9f.png

and

QPR_Squad_Sept_19_(_2_of_2).thumb.png.746ec0efca2f1076952d68ac8c29f792.png

Any thoughts ?

I know I have amassed a Wonderkid factory, that`s why they need sorting and time ! ; something you have little of when managing in the Premiership.

When I have saved by job, by sorting out my new best Tactics , I will add to this Section.

Thanking you for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate I like this thread. I am playing a QPR save as well. Currently fighting in Europa League (knocked out from the Champions League) in the fourth season and sitting at the 2nd place in PL with 5 games to go. 5 points behind United so probably cant win PL this year. Made it to the EFL cup final but lost to Man City by a ****** corner (gutted).

I did not bulk buy wonderkids when I promoted. Instead I bought a lot of players who were ready to play. And shipped them away as I progressed to a "better" team. My star man is Zach Clough who won PFA POTY, FWA POTY, PFA Young POTY in ONE SINGLE SEASON. A very good poor-man Messi and the only weakness is his aerial presence. Remi Cabella and Lapadulla also scored a bunch of goals for me.

Honestly I don't think the original Rs players you kept were that good. Robinson really cant beat Jake Bidwell IMO. Actually Bidwell is my captain although he is more like a sub for Kieran Gibbs now. Sandro is good for the first two seasons in PL. Cousins's tackling is terrible so a no-keep for me. I used Alex Smithies in my first season in PL. I would suggest never ever try it. He just played like a real-life Liverpool keeper:lol: so I got Rajkovic as well.

newmanagergotrekt

Thanks for the like, yes sadly I don`t believe any of the current players are / were good enough, I just want / wanted some realism / continuity / players` that the fans could relate to. I think Robinson, Hall, Cousins, Furlong etc.. contracts will not be renewed in a season or 2.

Yes I think I have underused Clough . Lapadulla won`t come atm, but I would love to get him even if he is now 29.

Again you`re probably right about `Wonderkids` - they take alot of time with no guarantees, but my hope / dream is to then have them as Tutors eventually, plus they are affordable early on for a team like QPR.

GL.

• 4 weeks later...

End of Season 4 2020

Although the Season was transitional , finishing 13th [ again I think ] ; a few Job Offers e.g. Stoke, Watford & Arsenal !!, this one made me smile .........

Chelsea_Job_!!!.thumb.png.e2013634fa9e1087669ba944c2745e16.png

As an update here are the Awards, to show you what players have been performing :

2020_End_of_Season_Awards.thumb.png.685fd8d1ea82b6bc2e7aad0292876bc7.png

and

QPR_Best_11_2020.thumb.png.d36208e6f4ca036a245b4361cf460892.png

Now I think I have the Tactics sorted for next Season, I have to sort the Squads - any help / advice will be gratefully received,

Thanks for reading.

• 2 months later...
On 14/12/2016 at 16:53, nextqprmanager said:

QPR 5.jpg

SQUAD

I could be wrong, but this is how I see QPR

GK : Smithies - ok for Championship, not sure about Prem ; back-up Ingram ; youth Lumley.

LB : Bidwell & Robinson - both sufficient.

CB`S : Onuoha [ best ], Hall - good, Lynch - cover.

RB : Perch - good, but no back-ups, Kakay / Hamalainen ... not really good enough , Furlong will prob be ok but is on loan.

CDM : Sandro - brought him in from cold of U 23`s, had to on £40/w , made him Captain, Henry Vice Captain - sufficient, Cousins - good, Poyet - cover, Borysiuk - backup.

CM : Luongo - pretty good, but not in my formations.

LM : Gladwin - ok.

RM : Wszolek - ok.

AMC : Chery - jewel at club, top scorer.

ST : Polter - main one, with 12 finishing I think says it all. Sylla is not ST with 10 finishing, ok at LW.

OTHERS :

Washington - ok but was false 9 which didn`t fit my formation. 

El khayati - JFH favour to Burton prob, average, not in my plans, weak.

Mackie - out injured over 1/2 season, when came back - average.

Petrasso - average, Shodipo - average then loaned.

Ngbakoto - average then sold.

Caulker - Good but not better than Onuoha, sold.

Prohouly - not used.

NOTABLE MENTIONS IN RESERVES :

Josh Bowler is meant to shine?, Manning & Darbyshire ??, Grego-Cox maybe something?.

I think this is how to do it / keeping windows open ?

I`ll be back   ..........

Wher can I get this photo from ?

Archived