recommended player limit

I just upgraded from 8gb to 16gb memory, but the amount of leagues I can run hasn't changed (still at the limit of 125k for both fm2016 and fm2017) ? Is this to be expected? What happens going over the recommended limit and how does the game determine what that limit is?

These recommended limits are unreliable. What should happen is your save runs more slowly as you progress, but the slowdown can be minimal, and with 64 bit I doubt you'd notice. You're in the beta - why not just try it? Don't worry about the time to initially load the game, one you're up and running see if it runs smoothly for you.

The limit of 125k players is a recommendation for a stable running saved game. Good computers can handle bigger saved games, but bear in mind that soak tests did indicate in the past, that saves with more than 200k players or the so called "huge" database could become unstable over the seasons. That was the reason why the "huge" option was removed some years ago. (It's only available in some custom skins)

2 hours ago, KUBI said:

The limit of 125k players is a recommendation for a stable running saved game. Good computers can handle bigger saved games, but bear in mind that soak tests did indicate in the past, that saves with more than 200k players or the so called "huge" database could become unstable over the seasons. That was the reason why the "huge" option was removed some years ago. (It's only available in some custom skins)

I think very few gamers played the game only with large database. Most of us load bigger databases. I usually load 50k players. What does mean unstable? Only run slowly or what?

Just now, rimisark said:

I think very few gamers played the game only with large database. Most of us load bigger databases. I usually load 50k players. What does mean unstable? Only run slowly or what?

50k is not a big database, everything above 125k is a big db.

3 hours ago, KUBI said:

50k is not a big database, everything above 125k is a big db.

Hi, I'd like your opinion. Is loading players different to loading leagues?

I always played a large database with England, Spain, Germany and Italy loaded and it was around 30k.

I've just checked what leagues I could load to get 125k players and on a large DB, loading all of Europe and North and South America, China and Australia is 126k. That just seems way way to many leagues loaded. Obviously the star rating is 1/2 star.

I want to load a good DB size to play with 2 of my friends, me as the host. I have an i7 quad core 4.00ghz, 16gb ram and running on an SSD. 

3 hours ago, rimisark said:

I don't think you speak for the majority.  I go for small databases most of the time, there's rarely ever any need to go higher.

1 minute ago, Lucozade1 said:

I want to load a good DB size to play with 2 of my friends, me as the host. I have an i7 quad core 4.00ghz, 16gb ram and running on an SSD. 

With that computer you could load up to the 125k recommendation. It all depends on how you play the game. If you want a speedy game select less leagues or add some league just as view only (this does not load all players). The main impact is always in match days. If you have all those leagues on full detail it will take a while to generate all matches in the background. But in general with a good computer FM2017 runs faster with the new 64 bit version, but the main impact on speed is how you setup your game.

But for a online save you should go with 30k to 50k players, otherwise it would slow down the game, especially if the two others have slower machines.

4 minutes ago, KUBI said:

With that computer you could load up to the 125k recommendation. It all depends on how you play the game. If you want a speedy game select less leagues or add some league just as view only (this does not load all players). The main impact is always in match days. If you have all those leagues on full detail it will take a while to generate all matches in the background. But in general with a good computer FM2017 runs faster with the new 64 bit version, but the main impact on speed is how you setup your game.

But for a online save you should go with 30k to 50k players, otherwise it would slow down the game, especially if the two others have slower machines.

So loading players rather than the leagues is better, that's good to know.

As for online games, I always thought that the main machine running the game would do all the heavy lifting, while the ones connecting to the game pretty much just pull the data from it. Must be wrong

1 minute ago, Lucozade1 said:

As for online games, I always thought that the main machine running the game would do all the heavy lifting, while the ones connecting to the game pretty much just pull the data from it. Must be wrong

Yes, if all have the same good broadband connection.

4 minutes ago, Lucozade1 said:

Both ways are possible, but usually there is no need to run tons of leagues in a online game, so selecting in the advanced setting that the game should load all european players with a continental reputation bringing the same amount of players, as loading all top leagues into the game.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

I don't think you speak for the majority.  I go for small databases most of the time, there's rarely ever any need to go higher.

May be, you are right. But transfer activity is very different and easy can sell players on "small" databases.

Archived