Free For All Challenge

You're a recently retired professional & international. You've spent the time since retirement studying for the most prestigious coaching qualifications available. It didn't matter how old you were or where you're from, it was time to start applying for a job. But with no previous experience in management, where would you start, who was going to want you?!

Last year's Champions had a vacancy. Applying wasn't going to do you any harm. Besides you'd only gain from any experience the employment procedure throws your way.

A couple of weeks later you were contacted for an immediate interview at the Champion's home venue. Upon arrival, you're surrounded by familiar faces - you remember trying to count the accumulative number of trophies & medals the room had collected over the years past. You exchanged small talk with a few ex colleagues and even an icon of yours as everyone shuffled into a row of seats before a small podium - all had applied for the same position as you. As if you weren't nervous enough already.

"Welcome all. We'll keep this short and simple.

You must be willing to sustain at least a single trophy per season, every season from the year of employment, without spending a penny whilst accepting every single monetary incoming bid. 

A club such as this, a club such as mine, should have enough pulling power to negotiate free transfers for players whom continuously possess enough quality to sustain success whilst maximising a positive cashflow."

You received a glorious smile as the owner stepped down from the podium with his arms outstretched in glee. You were the only person who hadn't moved for the exit doors. Had you're inexperience accidentally landed you this job, or are you truly the only one up for the challenge?

To clarify the rules:

- You're manager can be of any mix and match of stats, experience and nationality.

- You must take over last year's champions, from whatever nation you have chosen to load. (Yes it's okay to load multiple nations.) You can also travel as far as you like into the future before starting the challenge.

- You MUST accept any bid of any value for ANY of your players. Remember the Owner is always watching!

- Each year you must win at least one trophy. (Super Cup, Domestic League, Continental & Domestic Cups etc.)

- EVERY incoming transfer must come on a free. (Agent fees don't count.) This makes sustainability a challenge. 

- You lose the challenge if you don't win a trophy over an entire season OR you are sacked for other reasons by the more reasonable board members.

(- In the spirit of the challenge, you should only offer new contracts to current players outside of any transfer windows! The reason for this is with money in > money out, your wage budget could become quite hefty, and offering ridiculous money to players to get them to stay isn't what this challenge is about.)

If you're interested, please post updates.

I've started this challenge myself in Germany after holidaying a single season. Inevitably I ended up managing Bayern, but into my second season as manager and the squad has drastically changed and the challenge has truly begun!

I'll post a more thorough update of who I've lost and the replacements I've managed to bring in if there is enough interest. :) 

2 hours ago, GylfiAsCharged said:

Nice - I'm going to give it a go with PSG, but if I fail or get sacked I may try it with a big fish in a small pond, so to speak, like Celtic, Ajax or Basel.

Yeah I'm sure you'll have a good first season at least.

It's just so hard to accept the pitiful offers the non-human managers offer for your stars :/

Don't get too attached to anyone!

I'll post a full update of my first two seasons with Bayern tonight if I have a chance :)

Just now, Motlhen said:

Yeah I'm sure you'll have a good first season at least.

It's just so hard to accept the pitiful offers the non-human managers offer for your stars :/

Don't get too attached to anyone!

I'll post a full update of my first two seasons with Bayern tonight if I have a chance :)

Yeah, had to let Cavani go for £25m which was frustrating as I wanted to play two up front! Still, things are going well so far.

Looking forward to your updates - will post one too after my first season, if I make it that far!

I really like the idea of this challenge.

Just finished my holiday-ing now. Unsure whether to go to Portugal or Turkey. 

Just a quick question, even though we have to accept any offers... Can we make our player an amazing contract offer or are we completely powerless? 

Just now, DChambers91 said:

I really like the idea of this challenge.

Just finished my holiday-ing now. Unsure whether to go to Portugal or Turkey. 

Just a quick question, even though we have to accept any offers... Can we make our player an amazing contract offer or are we completely powerless? 

Good question. 

Personally I only offer outside of the transfer window - just in the spirit of the challenge. But saying that, I having tried the other approach.

I think that it could possibly ruin the challenge as the amount of money in with zero outgoings for players will just be transferable to wages and so no one would ever want to leave!!!

But by all means try it out, and let us know how it goes :)

1 minute ago, Motlhen said:

Good question. 

Personally I only offer outside of the transfer window - just in the spirit of the challenge. But saying that, I having tried the other approach.

I think that it could possibly ruin the challenge as the amount of money in with zero outgoings for players will just be transferable to wages and so no one would ever want to leave!!!

But by all means try it out, and let us know how it goes :)

I agree, with no outgoings then the money for wages will become too much.

Okay, I think that in the spirit of the challenge i'll adopt the same approach. If they are loyal enough to reject a transfer only then they will be rewarded!!

6 minutes ago, DChambers91 said:

I agree, with no outgoings then the money for wages will become too much.

Okay, I think that in the spirit of the challenge i'll adopt the same approach. If they are loyal enough to reject a transfer only then they will be rewarded!!

I might add this in the rules... Cheers DChamber91!

Germany Season One Review - FC Bayern

During pre-season we lost a couple of key players:

Javi Martinez - £18.25m to Man City

Douglas Costa - £15.75m to Juventus

Not ideal.

The German Super Cup was a brilliant key to guarantee you will survive the wrath of the Owner in the first season - but we lost out to Wolfsburg! An own goal from Benatia separated the sides, a terrible start!

We lost a further few players before the end of the transfer window too:

Rafinha - £2m to Wolfsburg

Xabi Alonso - £2.1m to Real Madrid (Steal!)

Joshua Kimmich - £11.75m to Real Madrid

I thought we'd seriously struggle in the middle of the park, but I managed to get the following on frees at the start of pre-season:

Wellington Silva - from Arsenal

Florian Lejeune - from Man City

Tom Carroll - from Tottenham

Unsurprisingly, Wellington Silva got injured for 5 months, almost immediately (it was a risk!) but in 10 starts & 7 sub appearances he managed 3 goals and 3 assists with POM 3 times too!

Florian Lejeune was always only ever going to be used to give both the first choice and second choice a rest. He did a mediocre job with 19 appearances, most of which coming from the bench.

But Tom Carroll was the first freebie star - he almost became first choice with injuries and the departures at the tail end of the season. 20 starts and 14 sub appearances with a 7.5 average rating and 7 assists, a solid player, a bargain!

Leading up to Xmas I was worried that any lead in the league we had accumulated was going to be ruined by being ravaged in the transfer window but surprisingly only one player left:

Juan Bernat - £12.75m to Real Madrid

But this caused the first err of tension throughout the squad with players starting to become disgruntled with the selling of a key player. I realised that this kind of situation could cause your save-game to capitulate rapidly, so man management is going to play a huge role to keep the flood gates firmly closed.

During the break, I also managed to get much needed cover up front due to injuries with:

Alexandre Pato - Free Transfer

With 3 goals in 5 starts, amongst his own injuries, he will only ever be a backup backup. But always a decent player when available and gives key players a necessary rest.

We were on course for the title, pretty comfortably, which made the disappointment of being knocked out of the Champions League in the 1st Knockout Round 1-0 to Sporting less of a worry. 

We won the league before the German Cup semi-finals took place (about 7 games to go), and completed the double with a win in the final against Hoffenheim. We were never challenged in the league, finishing 17 points ahead of 2nd place, whose points tally would have earnt them 6th the previous season. 

So I have met the requirements of the owner. I move on to the second season.

But who will I lose?

So with the leagues that i loaded in the options I had were. Arsenal (I know!!! :eek:), PSG, Juve, Benfica and Fenerbache.

Portugal and Turkey on second thought weren't that appealing so I've gone with Juventus and Big Sam Redknapp has taken over, all ready to tap some players up for some big time bosman's!

Hoping that some of the old guard won't want to leave. Already dreading the day that an offer comes in for Pogba or Dybala.

Will post when i get to the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Motlhen said:

Germany Season One Review - FC Bayern

During pre-season we lost a couple of key players:

Javi Martinez - £18.25m to Man City

Douglas Costa - £15.75m to Juventus

Not ideal.

The German Super Cup was a brilliant key to guarantee you will survive the wrath of the Owner in the first season - but we lost out to Wolfsburg! An own goal from Benatia separated the sides, a terrible start!

We lost a further few players before the end of the transfer window too:

Rafinha - £2m to Wolfsburg

Xabi Alonso - £2.1m to Real Madrid (Steal!)

Joshua Kimmich - £11.75m to Real Madrid

I thought we'd seriously struggle in the middle of the park, but I managed to get the following on frees at the start of pre-season:

Wellington Silva - from Arsenal

Florian Lejeune - from Man City

Tom Carroll - from Tottenham

Unsurprisingly, Wellington Silva got injured for 5 months, almost immediately (it was a risk!) but in 10 starts & 7 sub appearances he managed 3 goals and 3 assists with POM 3 times too!

Florian Lejeune was always only ever going to be used to give both the first choice and second choice a rest. He did a mediocre job with 19 appearances, most of which coming from the bench.

But Tom Carroll was the first freebie star - he almost became first choice with injuries and the departures at the tail end of the season. 20 starts and 14 sub appearances with a 7.5 average rating and 7 assists, a solid player, a bargain!

Leading up to Xmas I was worried that any lead in the league we had accumulated was going to be ruined by being ravaged in the transfer window but surprisingly only one player left:

Juan Bernat - £12.75m to Real Madrid

But this caused the first err of tension throughout the squad with players starting to become disgruntled with the selling of a key player. I realised that this kind of situation could cause your save-game to capitulate rapidly, so man management is going to play a huge role to keep the flood gates firmly closed.

During the break, I also managed to get much needed cover up front due to injuries with:

Alexandre Pato - Free Transfer

With 3 goals in 5 starts, amongst his own injuries, he will only ever be a backup backup. But always a decent player when available and gives key players a necessary rest.

We were on course for the title, pretty comfortably, which made the disappointment of being knocked out of the Champions League in the 1st Knockout Round 1-0 to Sporting less of a worry. 

We won the league before the German Cup semi-finals took place (about 7 games to go), and completed the double with a win in the final against Hoffenheim. We were never challenged in the league, finishing 17 points ahead of 2nd place, whose points tally would have earnt them 6th the previous season. 

So I have met the requirements of the owner. I move on to the second season.

But who will I lose?

Nice one Motlhen! , losing Douglas Costa must of been painful, Xabi Alonso too.

Looking forward to seeing what the summer transfer market brings. 

On 8/25/2016 at 22:48, DChambers91 said:

Nice one Motlhen! , losing Douglas Costa must of been painful, Xabi Alonso too.

Looking forward to seeing what the summer transfer market brings. 

Unfortunately you'll know how I felt sooner rather than later!

Good luck with Juve, it'll be good to see if you have a different array of players available on bosman's or if we have to make the most of the same bunch of players.

On 8/25/2016 at 22:51, GylfiAsCharged said:

Losing Rafinha and Xabi for such small fees - ouch! Congratulations on the double, hopefully you can patch the squad up nicely with freebies and go again.

Yep, thanks.

Losing Cavani must've been such a blow for you, have you worked around your lack of a strike-partnership?

15 hours ago, Motlhen said:

Losing Cavani was must've been such a blow for you, have you worked around your lack of a strike-partnership?

Turns out one of my wingers was secretly a world class striker too! A couple of youngsters have impressed up front too, so haven't had to change system.

UqkOu2L.png

Just thought I would post a little mini update. I have just survived the first transfer window and it wasn't a nice experience!. A couple pieces of good news but I'll get onto that.

First things first.. WE WON THE SUPER CUP! After going 1 nil up early on, Napoli fought back and took the lead and never really looked like losing it. Not until Pauly P netted a 30 yard screamer to draw level and take the game to extra time. Then Napoli took the lead again in the 2nd half of extra time and I thought it was all over. That was until Simone Zaza stepped up and put in a late equaliser to take the game to penalties which we ended up winning!. And the fact that he had rejected a move to Wolfsburg the day before the match just enhanced my new found love for him. 

1st Transfer Window

It's fair to say that transfer wise we took a bit of a battering. I must admit it feels awful just clicking accept especially when the first offer is always a low ball offer. With transfer rumours about Pogba and Dybala making me not want to continue the game i'm happy to report that i've kept onto them. ( For Now)

Biggest Casualties were Morata, Mandzukic and Lichtsteiner. 

Some interested free transfers though, slightly different than yours @Motlhen

Rulli - Couldn't believe he was on a free. I had to snap him up as he is a very capable stand in for Buffon. Just going to have to keep him happy.

Ben Arfa - Struggling with wide players at the moment, but again very good player for a free transfer.

Torres - Needed backup after losing Morata and Mandzukic. Actually not that bad.

My main goal now is to rotate where I can to keep the fringe players happy as I can't afford to upset anyone at put them at risk of leaving. And of course Zaza is now currently putting pen to paper on a new lucrative deal. I'll try to finish the season and post my update by tomorrow.

On 8/26/2016 at 14:17, GylfiAsCharged said:

Turns out one of my wingers was secretly a world class striker too! A couple of youngsters have impressed up front too, so haven't had to change system.

Brilliant, have you made any signings so far?

On 8/26/2016 at 22:15, DChambers91 said:

UqkOu2L.png

Just thought I would post a little mini update. I have just survived the first transfer window and it wasn't a nice experience!. A couple pieces of good news but I'll get onto that.

First things first.. WE WON THE SUPER CUP! After going 1 nil up early on, Napoli fought back and took the lead and never really looked like losing it. Not until Pauly P netted a 30 yard screamer to draw level and take the game to extra time. Then Napoli took the lead again in the 2nd half of extra time and I thought it was all over. That was until Simone Zaza stepped up and put in a late equaliser to take the game to penalties which we ended up winning!. And the fact that he had rejected a move to Wolfsburg the day before the match just enhanced my new found love for him. 

1st Transfer Window

It's fair to say that transfer wise we took a bit of a battering. I must admit it feels awful just clicking accept especially when the first offer is always a low ball offer. With transfer rumours about Pogba and Dybala making me not want to continue the game i'm happy to report that i've kept onto them. ( For Now)

Biggest Casualties were Morata, Mandzukic and Lichtsteiner. 

Some interested free transfers though, slightly different than yours @Motlhen

Rulli - Couldn't believe he was on a free. I had to snap him up as he is a very capable stand in for Buffon. Just going to have to keep him happy.

Ben Arfa - Struggling with wide players at the moment, but again very good player for a free transfer.

Torres - Needed backup after losing Morata and Mandzukic. Actually not that bad.

My main goal now is to rotate where I can to keep the fringe players happy as I can't afford to upset anyone at put them at risk of leaving. And of course Zaza is now currently putting pen to paper on a new lucrative deal. I'll try to finish the season and post my update by tomorrow.

Rulli & Ben Arfa are brilliant signings imo! Torres, not so much because of his age and physical stats, but nevertheless a useful player.

You've had an absolute battering in the first window there!!! 

One of the hardest things I've found so far is predicting where you'll need cover 6 months in advance. Underestimate and you rely on youngsters and backup players as first team members, overcompensate and risk unhappiness through the squad!

I'm just through the 2nd seasons' first transfer window. I'll post the transfers soon, gonna be a tough season!

868_zpsowedvhjk.png

Paris Saint-Germain - 2015/16 Season

Transfers | Competitions | Finances

Top Scorer: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (34)

Most Assists: Gregory Van Der Wiel (20)

Highest Rated: Lucas Moura (7.73)

Thankfully, despite the press suggesting that plenty of teams were interested in my players, only Edinson Cavani departed the club in the summer transfer window. This was a blow to my plans, as I had planned to play with two up front. However, Lucas Moura stepped up and scored some valuable goals from a central position, while youngster Hervin Ongenda also chipped in with 23 in all competitions. Rather predictably, it was Ibrahimovic who top scored for us with 34, despite picking up no fewer than six injuries during the season.

The Trophée des Champions offered us an early shot at some silverware, which we triumphed in. The league was effectively over with months to spare, as we finished with a 28 point lead over Marseille in second. We made it through January without losing any players, having offered some new contracts to key players in the months prior. We also made it to both domestic cup finals, losing to Monaco in the Coupe de la Ligue but beating Lyon in the Coupe de France, before falling against Juventus in the Champions League final.

Nonetheless, the challenge goes on - hopefully my squad isn't decimated too badly during the summer.

Season      Ligue 1      Super Cup      French Cup      League Cup      Champions League
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16     1st          Winners        Winners         Runners Up      Runners Up

2 hours ago, GylfiAsCharged said:

Anyone else still going with this? Finding the second season a lot harder, as expected. It's fair to say that my squad has been torn to pieces. :lol:

Well done on a great first season! , Hopefully another Super Cup win has kept you in the challenge for the 2nd season?

I'm still midway through my 1st season but the 2nd year in my game ( I holidayed for a year first). Hope you haven't lost too many players. I quite like the fact that my squad kind of got ripped up, it has forced me to use players that I have never thought of signing beforehand. Fernando Torres for example!

I think because you started with the game without holidaying the game doesn't generate as much interest in your players within the first transfer window right at the start of the game. Hope that you stick it through there's not many of us trying this challenge!

Yeah I'm still here too! Struggling for time to play + update right now though.

Give us an overview once you've finished the transfer window. My Bayern team feels completely different, but loving the challenge still, with some quality coming in (as far as freebies go!)

I'm half way through the 2nd season (3rd in game) and will write up a short overview too when I get more than a second, possibly later tonight :)

Germany Season Two Review - FC Bayern

After a (quite comfortable) double last campaign, this season promised to be tougher. But with the luxury of the super cup, we're safe until next season at least, winning on penalties to Dortmund. Now the main task is to attempt to qualify for the Super Cup again as it is the easiest way towards continued success.

Unfortunately 3 important players left in the transfer window:

David Alaba - £22.5m to Barcelona
Arturo Vidal - £27m to Man City
Sven Ulreich - £650k to Fenerbache

Sven is our ONLY half decent back up to Neuer is goal, and losing the security of cover meant I NEEDED a keeper on the free! We also lost 2 of our 3 first season signings:

Florian Lejeune - £1.1m to BMG
Wellington Silva - £3.1m to Brighton

Very glad to have kept Carroll of the three! We also lost a promising youngster (20yo) to Bochum for £115k, but nothing to be too disheartened about!

As far as incoming transfers, I couldn't help myself but sign plenty - I might have trouble with squad happiness once I'm through mid-season, but we'll see:

Marko Arnautovic from Stoke
Tiago Ilori from Liverpool
Bruno Zuculini from Man City
Alex Song from Barcelona
Hachim Mastour from AC Milan
Lewis Cook from Leeds
Paddy McNair from Man Utd
Alessio Cerci from Atletico B
Adam Bogdan (unattached)
Mario Gomez (unattached)

A goalkeeper, 2 centre-backs, 3 defensive mids, 3 attacking mids and a striker - almost a full 11! 

Arnautovic is a real icon of mine and I couldn't resist. Similarly with Cerci (CM03/04 legend back when he was 15 in Roma's youth ranks!) I signed Zuculini before I could reach terms with Song & Cook is a real prospect so he's out on loan for this season. McNair I couldn't resist the idea of him in a Bayern top, plus he'll be decent backup and considering the huge interest Benatia and Boateng have generated could become an important first team player. Mastour is promising, but maybe nothing more than a fringe player, we'll see. Bogdan is an even better backup than Ulreich so I was extremely chuffed to grab him, as well as Gomez who will give Lewandowski a push for a place which should only create more positive performances.

I'll report back at the end of the season. Hopefully January won't be too painful!

I recorded my biggest win so far 6-0 against Don Bosco in the Cup. Yes, weak opposition, but the starting lineup was brilliant. Imagine this as a Bayern team:

GK: Adam Bogdan

DR: Giacomo Bianchi (Ex-Leverkusen youngster, signed by previous manager in holidayed season.)
DL: Marco Friedl (Bayern youngster)
DC: Tiago Ilori
DC: Paddy McNair

DMC: Lewis Cook

MC: Bruno Zuculini

AMR: Alessio Cerci
AML: Marko Arnautovic
AMC: Hachim Mastour

ST: Mario Gomez

Gomez got a hattrick and an assist by the 11th minute :O 

How do you sign players in this challenge?

Only if the button "Approach to sign" is activated, or can you make an offer for a player but the offer must be "0"?

If the latter, can you then offer something like a friendly match to the other team or no such things? What about exchanging players?

TheEarl's Free For All Challenge

Club: FC Barcelona

First a bit of motivation for this. I have for quite some time wanted to play a savegame with Barcelona, and the MSN-Trio upfront. But always found Barcelona too easy to start with. Then I came over this challenge and wanted to give it a try. Barcelona starts with severe debts and minus cash. But it gets quickly injected from sponsorships and TV-money and season tickets. However they start the first season with a transfer embargo that lasts until the january transfer window so no signings until then can be made. Pre-made transfers of Aleix Vidal and Arda Turan can not play until january at least.

For the sake of it all money values mentioned in this thread will be in UK Pounds.

First transfer window (until 31.aug 2015)

Players sold:

Adriano - Everton - 2,2M

Sergi Roberto - Juventus - 12,5M

Sandro - Las Palmas - Out on loan for 1 season

Another thing I want to do in this savegame is to see how much cash can the club attain. And by doing that how good players can I develop from the La Masia youth program. I want to bring up possibly 1 player each season. For the first season I was a bit short on midfielders from the beginning due to injury to Andres Iniesta, and as mentioned Arda Turan not possible to register for the first part of the season. So I brought up Carles Alena 17 years old from the B-Team.

The season started very well indeed. We crushed Sevilla 5-1 in the UEFA Super Cup to claim our first trophy. So after just one game I had succeeded in the challenge criteria for the first season. But as a manager for Barcelona you need to do far more than that to keep the job. And I guess getting sacked is the same as loosing out in this challenge.

Next up was the Supercopa de Espana. Home and away to Athletic Bilbao. We drew 1-1 away and won 4-0 at home to claim the Super Cup by 5-1 on aggregate. We played well in all other competitions for a long time also, but lost 4 games before christmas. Away to Celta de Vigo in the league, and at home to Olympiakos in Champions League. Both games we rotated the squad heavily so it was not a disaster to loose. Then we lost away to Real Madrid in the league to slip to second in the league table. Its always a pain to loose against your arch rivals, but still I was not worried for the season as we showed more stability than Real. The real shocker came in loosing to River Plate in the final of World Club Cup. We lost 0-2 on neutral ground in a game we fielded the strongest possible squad (except for injuries.) 

I thought that we could always win this competition next season of course, but still it was really bugging me that we lost this game. 

Second transfer window (until 31.jan 2016)

Players sold:

Douglas - Schalke 04 - 1,9M

Players signed:

Gustavo Xuxa - Free Transfer from Brazil

Jose Manuel Casado - Free Transfer from Spain

We where lucky during the transfer window though. No major payers where attempted to lure away from us. Only Douglas left, and ironically thats the position of Aleix Vidal who would be eligible for registration and a better player than Douglas. Xuxa and Casado provided cover up, together with Arda Turan.

The rest of the season was almost perfect. We didn't loose a single game after new year, and our last loss is the River Plate game from 13.dec 2015. Thats a staggering 36 games unbeaten run in all competitions. But another shocker came as we lost out already in the Quarter Final of Champions League. Leverkusen managed an insane 4-4 draw at Camp Nou, and we only managed a 1-1 draw away. That meant we went out on away-goal rule. The board was disappointed and so was I. And it also meant there will be no World Club Cup next season, and no UEFA Super Cup. Our league form was thumping and we won on 100 points, 16 points ahead of Real Madrid with 84. Levante came third and Celta Vigo 4th. We scored a staggering 143 goals in the league. Lionel Messi was the top goalscorer with 46 goals in the league, and 66 goals in all competitions. All together the MSN-trio scored a staggering 165 goals combined in all competitions. We also won Copa Del Rey after 4-0 against Valencia in the final.

Season summary 2015/16

Trophies won: 4 (UEFA Super Cup, Supercopa de Espana, La Liga, Copa del Rey)

Players sold: 3 (+1 out on loan) for a total of 16,6M

Players signed: 2 (+2 players from previous manager)

Bank balances at end of season: Minus 54,4M

Profit/loss for season: Profit 18,7M

Most used team:

GK - Marc-Andre ter Stegen - 41 games - 0 goals - 7,13 Av.rat

DR - Aleix Vidal - 23 games - 3 goals - 8,37 Av.rat

DC - Jeremy Mathieu - 34 games - 3 goals - 7,76 Av.rat

DC - Gerard Pique - 42 games - 2 goals - 7,66 Av.rat

DL - Jordi Alba - 35 games - 2 goals - 8,25 Av.rat

MC - Sergio Busquets - 41 games - 1 goal - 7,79 Av.rat

MC - Rafinha - 42 games - 6 goals - 7,99 Av.rat

MC - Andres Iniesta - 32 games - 1 goal - 7,66 Av.rat

ST - Lionel Messi - 59 games - 66 goals - 8,24 Av.rat

ST - Neymar - 53 games - 50 goals - 8,34 Av.rat

ST - Luis Suarez - 52 games - 49 goals - 7,84 Av.rat

SUB - Javier Mascherano - 39 games - 2 goals - 7,49 Av.rat

SUB - Daniel Alves - 25 games - 0 goals - 7,92 Av.rat

SUB - Ivan Rakitic - 36 games - 1 goal - 7,51 Av.rat

SUB - Munir - 33 games - 11 goals - 7,32 Av.rat

SUB - Marc Bartra - 34 games - 2 goals - 7,49 Av.rat

SUB - Carles Alena - 36 games - 3 goals - 7,62 Av.rat

All in all challenge wise an easy first season, now it will be nail biting to see what players I have to loose during the next transfer window....

FC_Barcelona_(crest).png

On average each of your 3 strikers scored a goal a game (and one extra!) What a trio!!!

Glad to have you on board for the challenge :)

In answer to your questions: the criteria was no monetary value to the transfers. So friendlies and exchanges are fine, but things like percentage of next sale (even if you never intend to sell) are not acceptable.

I will work on a leaderboard as everyone progresses too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if you lose any of those 3 strikers.

Thanks for answers @Motlhen

Excited to see how long I can keep my striker-trio also. Also excited to see how you do at Bayern. I seems to me so far that Barcelona is slightly easier team to start with. I dont get many offers for my players, but also always remember to renew my contracts between the transfer windows.  (1.sep-31.dec and 1.feb-end of season)

TheEarl's Free For All Challenge

Club: FC Barcelona - Season: 2016-17 (season 2)

Still it seems this challenge with Barcelona is a bit easy in the beginning. But I am already thinking far ahead as sooner or later the great players will either leave, retire or fade into mediocre players. But playing with MSN-trio upfront is just any managers dream. Teams don't seem to bid for my players that much though, as we have such a great reputation scaring most other teams away.

First transfer window (until 31.aug 2016)

Players sold:

Jeremy Mathieu - Manchester City - 4,6M

Martin Montoya - Manchester United - 3,3M

Claudio Bravo - Everton - 5,5M

Cristian Tello - Real Sociedad - 6,5M

Jose Manuel Casado - Targu Mures - 82K

9 players left on season long loan. (I don't know if we have to accept all loan offers also @Motlhen ?) Anyway most of these loans where initiated by me to gain some first team experience for those players who didn't fit into my plans for the season.

Players signed:

Kevin-Prince Boateng - Free Transfer from AC Milan

Geronimo Rulli - Free Transfer from Real Sociedad

Victor Anichebe - Free Transfer from West Brom

Facundo Roncaglia - Free Transfer from Fiorentina

Florian Lejeune - Free Transfer from Manchester City

Cash flow was about the same this season as the last. We made some profit but still where in red figures at the end of the season. This meant a planned Youth Facilities upgrade that had gone for almost a season, was scrapped just before we got the big cash flow of sponsorships for the third season. Really a big pain as we need to invest in youths for the future, but hopefully we can start the planning again next season. This seasons La Masia product was Sergi Palencia a fullback who could play both on the right and on the left, he would be a decent backup for Jordi Alba, and I gave him as much playing time as possible.

As for our results it went much like the first season. We started by winning the Supercopa de Espana 4-1 on aggregata against Valencia. We won our Champions League group easily after winning all 6 matches against Porto, København and Celtic. Our first loss of the season came away to Real Madrid in the league. It was after 37 unbeaten games in La Liga, and 53 unbeaten games in all competitions. This year Real would stretch us much further regarding  the league. Last season we won on 100 points while Real only claimed 84. This season Real claimed 97 points, while we took a grand total of 104 points. The only other loss in the league was a defeat away to Athletic Bilbao. It meant we finished the season with 18-1-0 in the last 19 games. We scored 146 goals in the league, 3 goals more than last season.

But once again we failed in Champions League. And again in the Quarter Final. We crushed Juventus 7-1 on aggregate in the First KO Round. But then had to play Manchester United in the Quarter Final. The first leg at home gave some glimpse into the future as both Messi and Neymar where injured. We lost 1-2 at home and had to score at least two goals away. Neymar was back, but not Messi as he was injured for the remaining time of the season. We took a 2-1 lead at half time, only to be embarrassed 2-6 in the end and loosing 3-8 on aggregate. I felt ashamed!!!

Now we really want to win Champions League next season. MSN-trio had another storming season, but total number of goals was a bit lower due to injuries. All together they racked up 148 goals in 145 matches between them.

Second transfer window (until 31.jan 2017)

Players sold:

NONE

Players signed:

NONE

Season summary 2016/17

Trophies won: 3 (Supercopa de Espana, La Liga, Copa del Rey)

Players sold: 5 (+9 out on loan) for a total of 19,9M

Players signed: 5 

Bank balances at end of season: Minus 26,9M

Profit/loss for season: Profit 27,5M

Most used team:

GK - Marc-Andre ter Stegen - 39 games - 0 goals - 7,16 Av.rat

DR - Aleix Vidal - 35 games - 0 goals - 8,43 Av.rat

DC - Javier Mascherano - 26 games - 2 goals - 7,78 Av.rat

DC - Gerard Pique - 36 games - 0 goals - 7,58 Av.rat

DL - Jordi Alba - 34 games - 0 goals - 8,28 Av.rat

MC - Sergio Busquets - 37 games - 4 goal - 7,72 Av.rat

MC - Arda Turan - 30 games - 5 goals - 7,79 Av.rat

MC - Carles Alena - 35 games - 3 goal - 7,92 Av.rat

ST - Lionel Messi - 40 games - 41 goals - 8,33 Av.rat

ST - Neymar - 51 games - 57 goals - 8,25 Av.rat

ST - Luis Suarez - 54 games - 50 goals - 8,05 Av.rat

SUB - Daniel Alves - 26 games - 2 goals - 8,14 Av.rat

SUB - Ivan Rakitic - 35 games - 4 goal - 7,60 Av.rat

SUB - Munir - 29 games - 16 goals - 7,53 Av.rat

SUB - Sergi Palencia - 31 games - 0 goals - 7,83 Av.rat

SUB - Rafinha - 35 games - 6 goals - 7,52 Av.rat

Now there are quite few players targeted by other clubs, so next season might be a tougher challenge....

Hey guys,

You can sign loans so long as their is no fee involved (paying for the wage is fine though - up to 100%).

In terms of loaning out players - you must accept any loan that offers >100% of wages or a monthly fee or a future fee - as all of these circumstances are profitable for the Chairmen!

Still playing - my original Bayern squad is depleting though! Will update properly soon :)

A bit shorter update this time, but promise I will make up for it later.

Finished my third season after a season we finally lost quite a few players. Most sad was to see Munir, Aleix Vidal and youngster Sergi Palencia leave. We signed some players also most notably Yaya Sanogo upfront. 

We had a heavy injury crisis in the middle of the season with Neymar out for about 5 months and several other injuries. At the most we had 6 strikers out at the same time, leaving only 1 decent striker available. 

We won Supercopa de Espana, La Liga and Copa del Rey. (almost a habit now) , but this time lost in the Semi Final of Champions League to Paris SG. 3-4 on aggregate score.

I will post a better content update when I have time. But looking forward to the 4th season to see what kind of players can be kept. 

The club made about 55M pounds profit after taxes thanks to better transfer revenues this season.

Archived