Barcelona Defense : That First Season

I've noticed a great amount tactical success in my FM saves emerges from the stopper-cover centre back roles. The stopper immediately closing down players aggressively and the player in the cover role closing down much less so as to not be brought out of position. So I started a Barcelona Save with Pique and Mascherano as my centre backs. Now Mascherano may not be the tallest of players, and hence lacks aerial ability. However, he is the fastest player that can play as a centre back and hence is the most suitable player for the cover role. But much to my surprise, the defending is always poor. Even with Busquets playing as a half back ( I usually play him as an anchor man) opponents always find a way to deny me of a clean sheet. It's worth noting that I play a slightly higher defensive line away from home and a higher one in camp nou. Still the conceded goals come in way to frequently. It's boring using Barcelona in the sense that I usually always win the match, but it's disturbing that I basically in 20 games would concede 1,2 or more goals in 15 matches. Any suggestions on how to fix that defensive line (This is in reference to the very fist season where you can't buy players which makes it more of s task).

Maybe the problem isn't with the central defenders but something else (midfield perhaps). You are focusing the potential problem in two players and problems are a part of the whole team, so it would be better to provide the complete tactic.

I would also consider that when using an HB, the CDs might just spread too much, opening space between these for the opponent to explore.

I think the problem is much more complex than you describe. There is no point in solving defence problem without reviewing the whole tactic.

I'm also working on a tactic for Barcelona and I prefer to use the highest possible defensive line. When you use high D-line it's better to use offside trap. And to use it effectively you should have equal roles and duties for both CDs (at least they should have the same mentality). Using half back on the contrary makes your deffenders to sit a bit lower.

I suggest to analyze how do you usually concede goals. Then you'll understand why is it happenning. Do you concede after crosses from flanks? Or is it because opposition players move into channels between you CDs? Or maybe it happens just because you have less players in the defence than the opposition in the attack?

You can't just look at two central defenders and a DM in isolation from the rest of your team. Everything needs to balance. Other player roles and duties along with your tactical settings will all have an effect on your defensive system.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum about asking for help so you can see what information we need. In all likelihood the issue will have little to do with your central defenders.

Considering all your thoughts, I'll take you into a profounder view of my tactic. Now I understand that conceding goals is the fault of the entire squad but this is particularly different. I use a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide formation (slightly higher df line away from home, higher df line at home, close down more, short passing) Suarez(CF), Neymar and Messi (IF's, attack duty), Iniesta (APM, attack), Rakitic (DPM,support), Busquets( Anchor Man), Alves and Alba (Attacking Full Backs) and of course Pique and Mascherano (BPDs, stopper and cover duty). Now my team shape is fluid in other to allow movement and pockets of space to created (as I use the pass into space instruction). We are a very effective attacking side in truth but when it comes to defending. My oh my. Mistakes, wrongly timed closing down of players, lack of interceptions. Full backs being easily beaten my opposition. It's a true spectacle. My first few matches I had results like 6-3 win against las palmas, 4-4 against atletico. 3-2 win against monaco in group stage. I really don't think the problem comes from the attacking minded players as we keep possession most of the time. It's the defensive system. I mostly concede from crosses particularly low ones. Players being able to get in between mine (note I use a balanced width and not wide or fairly wide). Even with Busquets as a half back it's the same.

If you play a high line and rely on Mascherano to cover the entire back line you will get players in behind. La Liga has plenty of fast wingers and if one is up against a fullback on attack and has a stopper DC on his side it doesn't take much to get in behind your high line. At that point putting in a cross is easy and you rely on Mascherano to intercept it and Pique, Busquets or the fullbacks to get back in time. You play a fairly aggressive defense so it's the job of the rest of the squad to put enough pressure on the ball to prevent the long balls in behind your defensive line. In that context an Anchor Man role doesn't really make much sense to me as it's a very passive role more suited to guarding the space in front of a defensive line rather than putting pressure on the opponent to prevent balls in behind. Possibly a change to a DM(d) role would give him more mobility to follow up the pressing from the rest of the squad.

I always though the stopper/cover combo made very little sense for most systems. With a high line you probably want to play an offside trap so the stopper and cover defenders will start at the same height. Also why would one side of the defensive line need less closing down and one side more? What if the dangerous AMC is drifting towards the Cover side and the DM is out of position? Should he not be closed down or should the Stopper come all the way from the other side of the pitch as it's his role to close down? I'm sure there are situations and systems where the cover/stopper defense can work really well but I'd urge you to have a better reason to use it than "I've noticed a great amount tactical success in my FM saves emerges from the stopper-cover centre back roles." (which I personally haven't noticed) and if you use it consider what the consequences are for your defense and adapt the rest of the system to suit it.

Also don't forget that although you are managing Barcelona, you are also playing in La Liga and this means your team will suffer goals quite a bit. Just take a look into the goals conceded by Barcelona IRL:

2015/16 - 29 goals against / 38 matches (0,76 average)

2014/15 - 23/38 (0,60)

2013/14 - 33/38 (0,86)

2012/13 - 40/38 (1,05)

2011/12 - 29/38 (0,76)

Jephthah , I bet usually you concede finding only three man in defence (CDs + Busquets) against 4-5 opposition attacking players. I think your teams is disbalanced - too many attacking duties (that's why you are successfull in the attack) and only a few men in the defence. Try to put more support duties and use offside trap (of course with both CDs on the same duty). As for Busquets - he's much better than to play only Anchor man role. I play with three MCs in the line - Iniesta (AP, support), Busquets (DLP, defence), Racitic (DLP, support) - try this combination. When it comes to the defence - all three of them take part in defending. If I want to make my defence even stronger I can drop Busquets from MC to DMC position, using the same role, but usually there is no need.

Archived