Jordan Henderson

I like to play as close to real life as poss with Liverpool - gegenpressing, but I just can't seem to quite get Jordan Henderson right in terms of position - deep-lying playmaker, B2B, CM and all on support. I had a similar issue with Steve Gerrard when he was playing deeper in his last couple of seasons too. I play him in a 4231 with Can/Lucas or 4312 with Can and Lucas/Milner.

Any thoughts?

How specifically do you want to see him playing for you?

The easy answer is as realistic as possible to real life.

Very high workrate, great engine, can pick out a long pass, late runs beyond attackers, disciplined defensively - I suppose an all-rounder really

I guess the answer really depends on how you've set up the rest of your 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2, and how you think "as close to real life as poss with Liverpool" translates to FM. What are your team instructions? What roles do the other players have? What player instructions are being used? How close to what you're trying to achieve do you think you are?

Runs beyond attackers and defensive discipline sound like conflicting concepts to me. You either want him staying disciplined in front of the defence or not.

"Very high workrate, great engine, can pick out a long pass" are his attributes, which won't be effected by what position you give him.

roaming playmaker or b2b basing on 'real life'

But actually that's not his role at the moment.

Against MU last week, prior to Allen coming on, he was very much part of a double pivot along with Can and was Liverpool's main ball winner. He's definitely become far more disciplined under Klopp and IMO is becoming more of a traditional LFC central midfielder in the mould of a McMahon or more likely a Whelan.

I think it's tough. I see him as a ball winning midfielder that also gets up and supports the attack with some incisive passes, late runs into the box and some nice crosses too from deep in the opponent's zone (look at what set up the Firmino goal against United for example).

I guess maybe a CM (S) set to close down more? He doesn't really go to ground often, so staying on feet. Maybe set him to also "get further forward" but I think that would disrupt his defensive positioning.

I think it's tough. I see him as a ball winning midfielder that also gets up and supports the attack with some incisive passes, late runs into the box and some nice crosses too from deep in the opponent's zone (look at what set up the Firmino goal against United for example).

I guess maybe a CM (S) set to close down more? He doesn't really go to ground often, so staying on feet. Maybe set him to also "get further forward" but I think that would disrupt his defensive positioning.

It needs noting that against United his role changed once Allen came on. Initially LFC played a 4411/442 with he & Can playing as the shield in front of the back 4 hence he was fairly disciplined. The Allen change saw them switch to a 4141 which in turn gave him a little more freedom.

Runs beyond attackers and defensive discipline sound like conflicting concepts to me. You either want him staying disciplined in front of the defence or not.

"Very high workrate, great engine, can pick out a long pass" are his attributes, which won't be effected by what position you give him.

TBH it was more of an indication on how complete/versatile he can be which in turn makes it hard to consider his ideal role in FM

I don't personally quite put him in the ball-winning role, simply because he isn't Mascherano-esque, doesn't often go to ground to win a tackle (though I appreciate that anticipation, pressing etc attributes are equally adept in winning possession back) and more importantly the role of BWM might then stifle his more offensive traits.

When he's played more disciplined (ie v Man Utd) I see him more of a CM Def or possibly CM Sup - maybe the latter is the case. B2B has merit too.

I'll start a new save as CM Sup and see what happens. As I said the key thing for me is realism.

TBH it was more of an indication on how complete/versatile he can be which in turn makes it hard to consider his ideal role in FM

His ideal role will be whatever the team needs. It's the curse of versatility.

I don't think he has the quality in the final third or passing ability to make a great forward thinking player, but the ability he does have would be a great advantage in a BWM-S role, which in game still finds itself in key positions to influence attacks quite regularly, and often in space on the edge of the final third.

There's a temptation with players with great stamina and workrate to make them work hard and get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. But in a more restrictive role you'll see the player perform to a higher level in the late stages of games because they'll be far less tired than the opposition.

There's a temptation with players with great stamina and workrate to make them work hard and get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. But in a more restrictive role you'll see the player perform to a higher level in the late stages of games because they'll be far less tired than the opposition.

Good point

Interested to know how you play the two together

At the moment I'm trying something a bit quirky that seems to be working. I have Can as a RGA at DMCL & Henderson as BWM(S) at MCR, both with some PI's to keep them more disciplined positionally. It seems to be working, but obviously is part of a bigger overall approach.

In the past, I've set them up as a pretty conventional shielding CM pair with Can as DLP(S) and Hendo as BWM(D)/CM(D).

As others have said, the thing here is that his role is very much situational and changes dependant on what you want from him. His versatility enables him to be pretty competent at a number of tasks.

Archived