Struggling 3rd season with Norwich and FM overall. Help!

Hi guys. I'm really ***** at FM and I really do try my best to learn how to make good tactics but anything I try, nothing works out for me. I started playing FM when FM2014 got released. Even to this day, I can't have a succesful season. So in the first season I finished 9th, second season 14th, now this season i'm really struggling. I just don't know what it is. I sometimes see tactics online and think "How the frick does this work?" and whenever I try to make a logical tactic obviously FM makes me lose. Anyways i'm whining too much, here is my tactic, hopefully some you lads can help me out:

i1zLax7.jpg

RdNp3Zi.jpg

3g07a3m.jpg

PSK3DU1.jpg

YENq5KS.jpg

XizP5oN.jpg

DPoomEh.jpg

As a starting point, create a new dummy tactic with any formation you like (stick with 4231 if it helps). No need to save it.

Without doing anything else, open the Team Instructions and click on the Contain Mentality. Don't click on any TIs, just have the Contain mentality on screen.

Now, in turn, click on each Mentality through to Overload. Watch how the graphics for TIs such as Defensive Line, Closing Down and Tempo change as you click through each mentality. Those are the default settings for each mentality changing. Also notice where in this process your chosen mentality of Control sits. Pretty aggressive right?

Now that you see where the default settings for the Control mentality sits, consider the effect on those defaults that some of your chosen TIs in your tactic posted above will have. Will they make an already fairly aggressive mentality more or less aggressive, and do you really want that to happen?

Use that as your starting point. Once you understand what is happening there, move on to how you think some of your chosen roles and duties may also be affected by your aggressive set up.

Piggybacking on the point above, you don't need to apply higher tempo, close down more, etc. team instructions when using Control or Attacking. You can, of course, but those instructions just layer on top of the defaults and make them more extreme. If you had a world class side it might not matter, but I don't think your side is at that level just yet.

Also, I'm not sold on pairing an F9 striker with an AP(a) right behind him. To me, they are both trying to serve similar functions in the same spot on the pitch and probably get in the way of each other.

Hi guys. I'm really ***** at FM and I really do try my best to learn how to make good tactics but anything I try, nothing works out for me. I started playing FM when FM2014 got released. Even to this day, I can't have a succesful season. So in the first season I finished 9th, second season 14th, now this season i'm really struggling. I just don't know what it is. I sometimes see tactics online and think "How the frick does this work?" and whenever I try to make a logical tactic obviously FM makes me lose. Anyways i'm whining too much, here is my tactic, hopefully some you lads can help me out:

You imply here that you've tried to create a logical tactic. That's fine, but it'll be well worth (to yourself and us) sitting down and explaining the logic and what you created here. How the tactic works, in other words. You may pick up on some flaws in your own logic. It'll also make it easier for others to help you tweak this to suit your vision more or point out flaws in 'translating' that vision into FM.

Archived