Need help improving team morale and hopefully results.

I need help raising the morale of my team and hopefully improving results. I am playing the game as Wycombe and just won promotion to the premier league last season as overachievers. I am currently in the middle of January and bottom of the league 8 points from safety. The board expect me to avoid relegation this season. I had a couple of unhappy players which I have got rid of in the January transfer window. I am still struggling to raise morale though. My team is also conceding a lot of goals.

Any help would be appreciated.

A little trick I use to boost morale is to set a friendly against the maximum poor team available (usually you find it in "Near teams"), if everything goes right you win it 8/10-0 and that helps a lot.

Maybe you can try it too if you have some free space in this part of the season, but anyway keep it in mind for the next one.

My tactics are quite attack minded at the moment but that is because the board want me to play attacking football

You are a newly promoted side, trying to avoid relegation. The Board really won't give a monkeys' if you don't play attacking football, so long as you get results. How are you defining "attack minded" by the way? By using the Control or even Attack mentality?

There is nothing better for a players' morale than winning matches. You can't just try a morale boosting team talk and hope/expect players to start winning if the tactic is flawed. I'm afraid the issue will be in your tactic, not in your team talks.

I thought you might have been.

Mentality isn't about how "attacking" or "defensive" you are, regardless of what it says in game. Mentality is about how much risk you are willing to take - an attacking mentality is high risk football, defensive is low risk. So if you are newly promoted and one of the weaker teams in the division, playing high risk football could be fatal - as I think you are finding out.

To see some risk definitions, create a new dummy tactic. Don't add in any team instructions, but just click though the different mentalities and see how the TIs change as you do so. For example, an attacking mentality will give you a very high defensive line, which can be risky because it will leave a massive gap behind your defence for opposition teams to exploit (unless you do something about it).

Now having said all that, low risk football (defensive mentality) doesn't mean you have to play in a boring fashion. In fact, if you set the team up right, it can be just as attacking as using any other mentality. For more on that, read Cleon's thread here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/421921-The-School-Of-Defensive-Arts-2015-The-3-4-3

Archived