FM16: Barnsley F.C - The Only Way Is Up Surely?

lewis999

Welcome to the Barnsley FC thread for Football Manager 2016.

bfc1.jpg

Club History

Barnsley FC was established in 1887 by a clergyman, Tiverton Preedy, and played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895. They joined the Football League in 1898 and struggled in Division Two for the first 10 years due in part to ongoing financial difficulties. In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 Cup final where they would defeat West Brom 1–0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

Barnsley have spent more seasons in the second tier of English football than any other club in history and have produced some notable talents over the years who have gone on to be successful at other clubs. One example is Tommy Taylor, who was a prolific goalscorer for Barnsley in the early 1950s and went on to win two league titles with Manchester United (as well as scoring 16 times in 19 England internationals) before losing his life in the Munich air disaster. Taylor's move to Manchester United was for a then world-record fee of £29,999.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment, and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where they beat Swansea City 4–3 on penalties (2–2 after extra-time) to earn promotion to the Championship.

On the way to Wembley Barnsley beat both Premier League heavyweights Chelsea and Liverpool with stunning never say die performances.

The team struggled in their first season back in the Championship. In November 2006, with Barnsley in the relegation zone, Ritchie was sacked in favour of Simon Davey. Davey managed to steer the team away from relegation in the second half of the season, and eventually finishing in 20th. The following season, a much-changed Barnsley side managed an historic FA Cup run, beating Premier League giants Liverpool 2–1 at Anfield and defending champions Chelsea 1–0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1912, where they narrowly lost out 1–0 to fellow Championship side Cardiff City at Wembley.

Barnsley narrowly avoided relegation from the Championship that season, and after a disappointing start to the 2009–10 season Simon Davey was sacked in favour of former Rotherham United boss Mark Robins.

In May 2011, after a difficult 2010/11 season, Mark Robins resigned as manager due to a dispute over the budget for the following season. He was replaced by Rochdale manager Keith Hill and his assistant David Flitcroft. Barnsley ended the 2011–12 season as one of only two football clubs to turn a profit in the Football Championship, ironically they stayed up due to Portsmouth F.C. having a 10-point deduction for going into administration. The club's form failed to improve the following season, and Keith Hill was sacked as manager shortly before the turn of the year. David Flitcroft took over initially as caretaker manager, and after an improved run of results (combined with Sean O'Driscoll and Terry Butcher turning down the chance to manage the club) earned the job on a permanent basis.

Over the past decade Barnsley have experienced a number of highs and lows as a football club. At the end of the 1996/1997 season Barnsley reached the top tier for the first time in their history. However, they were relegated the following season despite their efforts.

The Emotion of the 2012-2013 Season

I could write about this and it be very boring as there's a load of writing above so instead i'm going to let you watch this fantastic video from youtube by It's Just Like Watching Brazil.

[video=youtube;qOdTuL56pvE]

2013/2014 - Relegation to League One

After years of flirting with relegation it finally caught up with us and after an away defeat to promotion contenders Middlesborough, Barnsley were to spend their first season in League One for over a decade. It had been coming for a few years and only Portsmouth's administration problems and subsequent points deduction saved us the year before but we didn't learn and now have to clear the decks and start again.

2014/2015 - Transition

After the sacking of Danny Wilson halfway through the 2014/15 season the club went the way of a modern Head Coach in the form of young Lee Johnson from Oldham. A lot of fans didn't like the sacking of Wilson, the only manager to have guided our beloved club to the Premier League and didn't give want Johnson. Imminently upon arrival Lee was the catalyst of an upturn in results starting with 6 straight wins including 5 clean sheets and went unbeaten for 9 games which lifted BArnsley into playoff contention which had fans in shock and surprise after having a poor two thirds of the season. Local rivals Sheffield United beat us 2-0 which sent form plummeting and we ended up mid-table but there was a sense of confidence and a buzz about the 2015/16 season.

2015/2016 - Youth All Round

After the release of a dozen older players and ones who weren't making the cut the recruitment team set about bringing in "Young, hungry footballers with re-sale value." As you can see from the league table this season the club is in disarray and is looking down the barrell at another relegation following a shocking run of 9 straight defeats including an FA Cup giant-killing to lowly Altrincham who deserved to win. Most fans believe that the management team and hierarchy are the ones to blame and are struggling to work out why talented players who were on the verge of the play-offs the year before are now struggling.

So Why Little Old Barnsley?

1. First of all we have a very good academy and obviously were the ones that developed John Stones before his move to Everton. Mason Holgate also made the move to Goodison Park this summer after impressing Roberto Martinez for 1.5m and a host of Premier League clubs have been tracking young James Bree who is wanted by a lot of Premier League teams in FM.

2. We also have a very young squad as you will see below with our oldest player Simeon Jackson being only 28. One of only 2 players over 24 years of age means plenty of youth and potential in the squad which you can take to the Championship if you, hopefully get there.

3. Back to the topic of our very own England international, on his move to Everton we had a 15% sell on clause which is in Football Manager which means if/when he is snapped up by the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea or Man United there is a huge potential windfall of over 5m to spend in League One or the Championship which is a nice change from transfer budgets of 100k at most.

I hope you join me in getting my beloved club back to where we belong, as the club has spent the most seasons and played the most games in England's second tier. We aren't a big club like some of our rivals but we are hard working and passionate about this place and will get behind anyone and stick together even at the worst of times, and trust me there has been plenty of them to go with the good.

60406f038c2ab93881d212fdbea5c071.png

YOU REDSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

History

92477266a4dd8458aa48b708d248c242.png

As you can see from the history screen Barnsley had their best ever season in '97 and then suffered relegation straight away and have since sunk to the lowly depths of League One twice. Getting promoted back up to the Championship in '06 on that unbelievable day in Cardiff at the Millenium Stadium. We managed to consolidate for close to a decade before finally dropping back down to League One. That's where we are currently and it's your job to change that.

There's a fairly big stadium for League One too at 23,287 which will be easily enough for the Championship and maybe even the Premier League.

Club Information and Facilities

01528a7b54b5813a48e45a66da594f78.png

The media prediction of 10th is lower than last year rightly and it shows that the board don't have over expectant ambitions and are quite happy with mid-table which, with the squad at your disposal is the least you should be aiming for. The chairman is a local man and loves the club as he is a fan as well so you can expect some stability in that regard.

The debt of 5m is structured in a way that means only 40k per month comes out of the club finances which is next to nothing.

Oakwell1.jpg

Aerial View

5940.jpg

959a812c74e3c2aa1060200fa32e5d1f.png

The only downside on the facility side of things is the fact that the council owns the stadium. That happened because the club went into administration in 2002. The club has under soil heating and has both good training facilities and good youth facilities which is very good for a League One club.

The junior coaching and youth recruitment is both average and can easily be upgraded as the owner is very relaxed with expansions and upgrades.

Meet The Squad

xBarnsley_FC_logo_helvetica-64x64.png.pagespeed.ic.w_el3O5s3d.png

Goalkeepers

Yeovil+Town+v+Barnsley+Sky+Bet+League+One+2-wdAU8fVQal.jpg

a5206751219f4d51c3919805ec2444b7.png

Adam Davies - #1 Goalkeeper at the club. Is a leading player for League One and will easily be able to make the step up to the Championship. On low wages and is a good all round goalkeeper. Only young at 23, must keep.

Nick Townsend - Very young at 20 and can become a good championship goalkeeper at best. On very low wages too but is definitely #2 in the pecking order but will do a good job in League One if called upon. His determination is 4 on the screenshot but it's random.

Central Defenders

3024169858.jpg

7453b258a88a5fec74dd3cf3f4bb5159.png

Alfie Mawson - Club captain and a very mature 21 year old who has already made quite an impression off the pitch. He's recently won the football league community award for his contributions in the town of Barnsley with ill children at the local hospital. On the pitch Alfie is very comfortable on the ball and is easily one of the best defenders in the division let alone the team. Will quite easily make the step up if you require him to and at 21 and a low wage of 3k he'll be a top player for you.

Lewin Nyatanga - Is definitely the most experienced player in this very young squad Lewin stayed with us through the relegation becoming a better player last season and chipping in with a lot of important goals. The former Welsh international has 34 caps and is the second oldest player in the team at a mere 26 years of age. He is brilliant in the air and like his partner is a leading centre half in League One so you are set with those two for the first season at least.

Marc Roberts - Local lad Marc is a new arrival at Oakwell joining from conference side Halifax after impressing at a lower level. He is nearly unbeatable in the air and has a Rory Delap-like throw which is always a useful tool in tight games. He is the backup centre half in the team but is seen as a good League One player. He is just unlucky that he is in a team with two players as good as Alfie and Lewin.

Full Backs

15292.jpg

e1a015cb02ae09fb7741181ca10a7654.png

Reece Wabara -First choice right back Reece is a product of the Manchester City youth academy so straight away you know he can play football. He only signed a short term contract in august that runs until the end of the year so get that sorted if he features in your plans. Another player on a very low wage and is young with potential which is a theme of the squad. He has very good physicals and is a 'good' League One right back. Another plus is that he can play centre half and is competent at LB so can cover across the back 4 if needs be.

James Bree - A breakout player over the last year and a half, Barnsley supporters have massive hopes for James but he is too good for this level potential wise and will end up in the Premier League sooner rather than later. A host of top teams have been at Oakwell watching him and it surprised a lot of fans that Holgate left for the top level before James did. Their loss is our gain and this versatile youngster has plenty of Premier League interest at the start of the game with the likes of Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Stoke all after him so it's up to you what you do with him. He is natural at RB, RWB and CM and can also play at RM. He has a few random attributes but most are fixed. My advice would be to play him and watch a local lad blossom.

George Smith - Yet another local player George has been with Barnsley since the age of 12. He is more than capable of holding his own in League One and is on low wages and has good potential. Keep him at all costs and develop him as you go through the leagues. Even if he becomes a back-up as you progress he will count as a homegrown academy player which is invaluable.

George Williams - George unfortunately won't make the grade at Oakwell. He might be a good back-up in the first season but after that he will be surplus to requirements. He has shown glimpses of raw potential in real life before going off the radar.

Central Midfielders

14778.jpg

7495da2fc874e278394299487208da51.png

Conor Hourihane - Probably the best player in real life thanks to his countless number of assists and spectacular goals. His set piece delivery is second to none and when he isn't playing the team is a lot worse. He is an attack minded midfielder who links up well with the strikers. He can also play in AMC and can be trained to play in DM and LM if needed. Has a wand of a left foot as you can see

Josh Scowen - A firm fans favourite because of his non stop running, quality on the ball and his never say die attitude he has endeared himself to the Barnsley faithful. His work rate is his biggest quality and as you can see, he is a very good all round footballer. He can play in every single CM role and on just 2.5k a week he is one of the best players in the team. Build your midfield around him and Hourihane and you won't be far off the Championship.

Ben Pearson - A high energy midfielder who is tenacious in the tackle and is neat and tidy on the ball. He has a tendency to pick up yellow cards but he will go around the pitch putting out fires due to his high work rate, his determination and a good turn of speed. He's on loan from Manchester United until the new year in which case you can renew if he is doing well for you. There's a good chance he will be.

Paul Digby - Another academy product, the U20 England International has recently been seen training with the England first team after Roy Hodgson was impressed watching him train. He has shown potential but has also shown that he can lack agility and speed in the centre of the park. A lot of that has been put down to the fact that he is 6ft 3 and still growing. Not only that but he had a very bad knee ligament injury a few years ago which has meant his first team appearances have been limited. Has good potential and can play in the Championship if you keep him around. He is very composed on the ball and at just 20 year old has more than enough time on his side.

Brad Abbott - The last player to have come through the youth team and a back up at best unfortunately on FM. I still think he has a future in real life if he can find some consistency. In pre-season of last year he was flying and then petered out during the season. He won't progress too much in game which is a shame.

Wingers/Wide Midfielders

1002920313.jpg

ab212c5ae51c1db2f6b3ec7b452278d5.png

Marley Watkins - One of only two wide players at the club, Marley is capable of playing on both the left and right flank in equal measure as well as up top which makes him a valuable player. He is a good dribbler, has high work rate and is a leading player for League One. He also has a good turn of pace and 2 useful PPM's.

Ryan Williams - Easily one of the best players in the team Ryan Williams impressed on loan from Fulham last year and played a big part in a lot of good result before he had to go back because of injury. He is very young and his fantastic dribbling coupled with his flair and pace make him a nightmare to defend against. His PPM harnesses his ability and he can be a very dangerous weapon in your time at Oakwell.

Centre Fowards

winnall-celebration-everton-4x376-2649511_478x359.jpg

173c39e947d8225a697e02027ba63e85.png

Sam Winnall - The goalscorer of the team. He has been disrupted with injuries since he joined but he knows where the back of the net is. He doesn't offer too much in the build up but if he gets a chance in the area there's a good chance you will be 1-0 up. He has a good turn of pace, good finishing and will work his a**e off for the team. Like the rest of the team, on low wages and a young player. He can improve to become a good Championship striker. If used properly he will be a goal machine in League One.

Simeon Jackson - The Canadian international was a Premiership player only a few years ago with Norwich so he still has a lot to offer. At 28 years old he is in his prime and is the oldest player in the team. Only on a short term 6 month deal he is a pacy striker who will try and get in behind and is capable of scoring a hatful of goals.

Michael Smith - Smith is on loan from League One rivals Swindon with a view to a permanent deal. He scored 18 goals last year for a Swindon team that was 90 minutes away from Championship football. He is a target man type of player but unfortunately on FM he won't pull up any trees so I wouldn't recommend activating his fee.

Conor WIlkinson - A left footed version of Smith, Wilkinson is a tall target man who is on loan until the new year. He has a cheap future fee of just 75k so if he is doing well then he maybe worth a punt even if it is just to sell on. He hasn't really impressed when he has played, his only bright spot was scoring the first goal of the season which is his only goal so far.

Great guide, definitely one of the better ones I've seen! I've been looking for a save in the 2nd-4th tiers of English football to do on the side of my dafuge challenge, and you might just have convinced me to go Barnsley. Hard for me to resist a solid young team with more potential than current ability, so this looks pretty great.

I'll post updates if I do end up going with the Reds. Good luck with your save!

I'm just installing the game, Never done lower leagues always go straight in as Chelsea seeing as I am a season ticket holder there.You've convinced me to take charge of them so I will update when I can. Also was slightly convinced cos I remember the bloke from The undateables programme shouting "come on Barnsley"

Great guide, definitely one of the better ones I've seen! I've been looking for a save in the 2nd-4th tiers of English football to do on the side of my dafuge challenge, and you might just have convinced me to go Barnsley. Hard for me to resist a solid young team with more potential than current ability, so this looks pretty great.

I'll post updates if I do end up going with the Reds. Good luck with your save!

Brilliant and thanks for the kind words. Over the last couple of years we've just had a few actual Barnsley fans in here and no-one who just fancied to give them a go so i'm glad that you two guys have given us a chance.

I'm just installing the game, Never done lower leagues always go straight in as Chelsea seeing as I am a season ticket holder there.You've convinced me to take charge of them so I will update when I can. Also was slightly convinced cos I remember the bloke from The undateables programme shouting "come on Barnsley"

Haha yeah I saw that. Look forward to seeing both of your updates i'm sure you'll do well and i'll be doing my own as and when I get time.

Nice one. I started a Barnsley save when the game come out and have so far completed 3 years and i'm in to my fourth.

Will post more now I've seen this post tomorrow but I initially struggled in the first season before a good second half of the season and finished 7th. The second season was a lot better for me though.

Glad to see some other fans doing a Barnsley save.

Just coming up to the end of July with an indifferent pre-season so far, Jack Bree really is in high demand from prem clubs (Palace have offered 1mil with 650k up front) whats the minimum you would be willing to let him go for?

Also if you are looking for cheap transfers when working in a tight budget like Barnsley, look at Scandinavia, there are some very good league 1/championship standard players available for a very low fee (sometimes free) and also low wages

He might be 40 but we've signed Alessandro Del Piero

Brilliant signing, looking at him myself as the creative striker.

Very nice thread lewis, and glad you may have some more company this year! I'm also a bit surprised your lot are struggling this year, but for FM it's a great club to take on. I like the average age of the squad, and think you have some good players in there.

Yeah I don't think anyone has any idea whats going wrong, a month or so back we beat Burton and Gillingham who were the top 2 and now we're losing games we should really win, missed chances and defensive errors are a recipe for relegation.

I am 5 games in currently sitting 5th on 11 points having played 6 won 3 drew 2 and lost 1

Solid start mate, hope you have a good season.

20 Leagues games in we are 5th,Sam Winnall has 15 goals and Ryan Williams is an absolute gem on the right of midfield with 12 assists and 9 goals plus highest average rating in the league

Sounds like a really good season so far, you gone for a traditional 4-4-2? Keep it up and it looks like you will be going up.

Nice one. I started a Barnsley save when the game come out and have so far completed 3 years and i'm in to my fourth.

Will post more now I've seen this post tomorrow but I initially struggled in the first season before a good second half of the season and finished 7th. The second season was a lot better for me though.

Yeah please do that, the more updates and people in here, the better. Looking forward to hearing it.

Nice thread mate, There is plenty of potential within this side.

What would be your reccommendation for formations, player roles, TI's to best suit this group of players?

Thanks for the kind words. There's a few systems I would say. Firstly a traditional 4-4-2 if you can recruit a few more wide players as there is only 2 currently. You have a brilliant central midfield with Pearson, Scowen, Hourihane and Digby as back up. I'm still in pre-season as I haven't had much time lately but i'm trying a narrow diamond I just need to bring in a good striker, a bit of class in the AMC role, a defender who can play LB and RB and I think I have found him and another CB as I don't think Roberts is good enough.

As for TI's and roles it's all user specific, if you're a manager that likes wingers then a 4-3-3/4-5-1 would be best as that's what you have familiarity with. I'm someone who likes to try things a bit different so my third tactic is going to be a straight 4-3-3 with 3 strikers and direct passing. It's been a while since i've seen it and I think it could be pretty effective. I'll show you my tactic if you like.

Glad to see some other fans doing a Barnsley save.

Just coming up to the end of July with an indifferent pre-season so far, Jack Bree really is in high demand from prem clubs (Palace have offered 1mil with 650k up front) whats the minimum you would be willing to let him go for?

Also if you are looking for cheap transfers when working in a tight budget like Barnsley, look at Scandinavia, there are some very good league 1/championship standard players available for a very low fee (sometimes free) and also low wages

He is on mine too as is George Smith at left back by the same clubs near enough. Truth is I wouldn't sell. He's homegrown, very versatile and you can mould him to wherever is best for you. I know we have Wabara but whenever Smith and Bree are fit they will be playing and i'm going to see how much I can progress them. Gonna try the same with Digby and see if I can make him a solid top end Championship/low end Prem holding midfielder, he already has the PPM's.

Who are the scandinavians mate? I think i'm going to try and stay British as best I can but others might be able to pick some up too.

Started my first FM16 save as Barnsley mainly because their fans have had to suffer quite a bit recently and their links to the mining industry

Decided to completely change how I design my tactics and approach to games on this one and try and re-create a tactic similar to the Sunderland side that had Quinn and Phillips up front. 4-4-2 with at least 1 winger, supporting fullbacks, ball winners who can pass in midfield and of course the big man / little man combination up front

I've been constantly tweaking my tactics throughout the first part of the season and I'm starting to get to something that I really like and can persevere with. Sometimes have to switch to a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 when I have injuries / fatigue in the squad but it's mainly been 4-4-2. 3rd in the league with 7 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

So far I have loaned in Joe Rothwell from Man Utd and Tarique Fosu from Reading. I have had Reece Wabara, George Smith, Paul Digby and James Bree all sign new contracts

I'm really enjoying this save so far although it's been hard to find players to improve the squad. Does anyone have any recommendations on a target man who is good in the air? Only disappointing things so far is not being able to find a position for Conor Hourihane or Ryan Williams although Williams is more down to the form of Marley Watkins as he has been superb

Loving my midfield 2 Scowell and Digby though

Started my first FM16 save as Barnsley mainly because their fans have had to suffer quite a bit recently and their links to the mining industry

Decided to completely change how I design my tactics and approach to games on this one and try and re-create a tactic similar to the Sunderland side that had Quinn and Phillips up front. 4-4-2 with at least 1 winger, supporting fullbacks, ball winners who can pass in midfield and of course the big man / little man combination up front

I've been constantly tweaking my tactics throughout the first part of the season and I'm starting to get to something that I really like and can persevere with. Sometimes have to switch to a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 when I have injuries / fatigue in the squad but it's mainly been 4-4-2. 3rd in the league with 7 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

So far I have loaned in Joe Rothwell from Man Utd and Tarique Fosu from Reading. I have had Reece Wabara, George Smith, Paul Digby and James Bree all sign new contracts

I'm really enjoying this save so far although it's been hard to find players to improve the squad. Does anyone have any recommendations on a target man who is good in the air? Only disappointing things so far is not being able to find a position for Conor Hourihane or Ryan Williams although Williams is more down to the form of Marley Watkins as he has been superb

Loving my midfield 2 Scowell and Digby though

Hi Nozzer, thanks for choosing us and I like your reasons for being Barnsley. Who do you have at LM because if you have someone who is a bit more of a wide midfielder rather than a winger then you could re-train Conor there. You must have good depth if Ryan Williams isn't first choice. To the target man issue I rarely play with them even though sometimes I should do as everyone needs a back up plan. Only person I can think of is Smith who starts on loan but i'm guessing he's not good enough?

Look forward to some screenshots or a season update at some point if that's something you're interested in doing.

Hi Nozzer, thanks for choosing us and I like your reasons for being Barnsley. Who do you have at LM because if you have someone who is a bit more of a wide midfielder rather than a winger then you could re-train Conor there. You must have good depth if Ryan Williams isn't first choice. To the target man issue I rarely play with them even though sometimes I should do as everyone needs a back up plan. Only person I can think of is Smith who starts on loan but i'm guessing he's not good enough?

Look forward to some screenshots or a season update at some point if that's something you're interested in doing.

I'm playing Conor as you say and I'm re-training him, it's a bit of a rotational position as I try Fosu there as a winger and occasionally Ryan Williams with no one doing enough to nail down the position as their own. I like Conor there best at the moment as George Smith has struggled in some games and Conor provides more defensive cover there when playing ahead of him

I am playing Smith who I am happy with but I don't have the cash to make it permanent. I really want Matt Smith from Fulham who isn't getting a game but wages will be a big problem. So far I haven't really looked at many targets but I'm going to tonight

I'm playing Conor as you say and I'm re-training him, it's a bit of a rotational position as I try Fosu there as a winger and occasionally Ryan Williams with no one doing enough to nail down the position as their own. I like Conor there best at the moment as George Smith has struggled in some games and Conor provides more defensive cover there when playing ahead of him

I am playing Smith who I am happy with but I don't have the cash to make it permanent. I really want Matt Smith from Fulham who isn't getting a game but wages will be a big problem. So far I haven't really looked at many targets but I'm going to tonight

Yeah that makes sense with Conor as he has higher work rate, better positioning and higher defensive stats than the usual winger-type. Matt Smith is a good target but as you say wages might be a problem, permanently anyway. Ryan Williams is a new signing and his hidden adaptibility rating might be low so give him time I guess.

I am playing 4-4-1-1 it was the main tactic when I started so just went with it, I am 8th at moment with 25 games gone but only 7 points between me and top so its quite close,

Yeah, I was going to go with that and think it will be my second tactic along with, like I said earlier a straight 4-3-3 (3 strikers). Hovering just around the play-offs at the halfway stage is very good especially with not many points to the top 2. James Bree just got injured for me and my new loanee full back looks fantastic thankfully.

Well I've had to abandon my 4-4-2 formation as I could not get it working as I wanted. Mainly down to 2 main reasons, the nosedive in form of Sam Winnall as a poacher and not being able to keep the ball as much as I wanted whilst still getting quality crosses into the box. Usually I would have persevered with 4-4-2 trying new things until I got it working how I wanted but I'm really enjoying being Barnsley and fancy this as a long term save

I've went back to tactics / team shape / instructions I've used from previous versions (4-5-1 / 4-3-3) and have already had a massive upturn in form going from 8th to 2nd. Peterborough have started pulling away in first but the other automatic position and the play off positions are wide open

I've extended the loans of Ben Pearson, Michael Smith, Joe Rothwell and Tarique Fosu until the end of the season but have yet to make a permanent transfer. Apart from Fosu these loan players are out of contract at the end of the season, hoping they don't get offered new contracts so I can try and sign them. Michael Smith has been great for me, so much so that he is my first choice striker now that I play 1 up front. I'm thinking I may offload Winnall at the end of the season because at the moment he is backup target man (more suited to other forward roles) or left sided inside forward (unnatural playing there)

After reading Lewis,s brilliant preview of Barnsley decided to give them a go and am really enjoying it.It is January and we are in 4th place 2 points behind the last automatic promotion place but also only 2 points in front of 8th place, so its all to play for.Am playing a, narrow diamond formation and it seems to be working ok,we got of to a flyer and were unbeaten after 14 games,although we drew 7 of them,the only down side during this period was a 1-o home defeat by Shrewsbury in the 1st round of the capital cup.

The only addition to the squad has ben the loan of foster-caskey from Southampton,had numerous offers for Bree and Smith all of which were turned down,Bree initially was unhappy but has since signed a new contract and is now quite happy.I didn,t renew the loan,s of Smith and Wilkinson which has left us a bit short in the striking department which we are trying to rectify now in the January window.

In the F.A.Cup we have had a good run and have just drawn 1-1 at home to Hull in the 3rd round if we could somehow get a win in the replay wehave been drawn at home to Man.Utd now there,s an incentive.

Well I've had to abandon my 4-4-2 formation as I could not get it working as I wanted. Mainly down to 2 main reasons, the nosedive in form of Sam Winnall as a poacher and not being able to keep the ball as much as I wanted whilst still getting quality crosses into the box. Usually I would have persevered with 4-4-2 trying new things until I got it working how I wanted but I'm really enjoying being Barnsley and fancy this as a long term save

I've went back to tactics / team shape / instructions I've used from previous versions (4-5-1 / 4-3-3) and have already had a massive upturn in form going from 8th to 2nd. Peterborough have started pulling away in first but the other automatic position and the play off positions are wide open

I've extended the loans of Ben Pearson, Michael Smith, Joe Rothwell and Tarique Fosu until the end of the season but have yet to make a permanent transfer. Apart from Fosu these loan players are out of contract at the end of the season, hoping they don't get offered new contracts so I can try and sign them. Michael Smith has been great for me, so much so that he is my first choice striker now that I play 1 up front. I'm thinking I may offload Winnall at the end of the season because at the moment he is backup target man (more suited to other forward roles) or left sided inside forward (unnatural playing there)

Fantastic league position there mate. Hope you go up, if you do it'll be interesting to see your new signings and what you do tactically. Keep it up. P.s Glad to hear Smith is doing well for you too.

After reading Lewis,s brilliant preview of Barnsley decided to give them a go and am really enjoying it.It is January and we are in 4th place 2 points behind the last automatic promotion place but also only 2 points in front of 8th place, so its all to play for.Am playing a, narrow diamond formation and it seems to be working ok,we got of to a flyer and were unbeaten after 14 games,although we drew 7 of them,the only down side during this period was a 1-o home defeat by Shrewsbury in the 1st round of the capital cup.

The only addition to the squad has ben the loan of foster-caskey from Southampton,had numerous offers for Bree and Smith all of which were turned down,Bree initially was unhappy but has since signed a new contract and is now quite happy.I didn,t renew the loan,s of Smith and Wilkinson which has left us a bit short in the striking department which we are trying to rectify now in the January window.

In the F.A.Cup we have had a good run and have just drawn 1-1 at home to Hull in the 3rd round if we could somehow get a win in the replay wehave been drawn at home to Man.Utd now there,s an incentive.

I started off with the narrow diamond and I didn't seem to have enough width as my CM's were just passing to the full backs every time they got the ball. I pushed my DM up to make 3 CM's and it seems to be working a bit better. Interested to see who you manage to bring in striker wise, do let us know mate. Another one who is up near the top end of the table, impressed with everyone so far.

Could anyone tell me how do I get the links from the screenshots so I can put them in my posts?

Which site are you using mate?

First of all I started this save off whilst the game was still in beta, well actually the first day of beta. I've done Barnsley saves on all the FM's I've ever played on but this one felt different from very early on. In this years version I feel the club as a lot of potential to grow and this excited me a lot.

I started off by picking the tactics, this was and is my favorite formation and one I've used on the game for a while now 4231 wide.

One of the first things I did was send Crowley back to Arsenal. Initially I didn't want to do this but he was 10k a week from Barnsley and didn't leave any budget left to bring in other signings.

The season didn't start well in the league as I only picked up 10/11 points up from my first 12 games. At the time I thought about what I was doing wrong. I brought in a few players in during the summer transfer window and most of them were just squad fillers.

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History%202015%202016_zpsfqsxldep.png

For the rest of the league season things improved with a few blips on the way and I finished 8th, point of points with 6th. Things could have been so much better though but a loss to Wigan scuppered that. Wigan finished lower midtable with nothing to play with.

I was disappointment with not reaching the play offs in season one for me but another season in league one would allow me to build for something special and allow me to progress my young squad in league one rather than the super tough championship.

Sky%20Bet%20League%201_%20Overview%20Stages%202015%202016_zpste3ipvhl.png

Barnsley_%20History%20Best%20Eleven%202015%202016_zpsnjll25d0.png

Whilst I said I wanted to build for the future in league one this was very much to get out of league one and give my permanent players another year to improve.

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History%202016%202017_zpspb5u84zv.png

I brought in a lot of quality in but with a lack of budget this made it impossible to bring in anyone of quality in permanently. This meant more loan players than I was allow in my match day team during the second half of the season. I was amazed to bring in former Barnsley defender Mason Holgate. During the summer the only player bought for the first team was Junior Hoilett and I didn't even get him. My DOF did the deal and even agreed it. Initially I wasn't happy because he was on twice anyone else in the squad but hes a real bit of proven quality in the team.

Come the Winter transfer window it was really quite apart from a couple of squad players coming in. Then come the last day of the transfer window and my DOF soild my number one goalkeeper to Leicester. I scouted a few replacements with Permanent and loans in mind but the figures were too high. Eventually I managed to bring in a Rudd on loan. A really good goalkeeper to get late on in the transfer window and he was a big part of the team winning the league and jpt.

In the league it was a great success for the club and apart from one or two blips of 3 or 4 games the league it was a lot better than anyone could imagine. I finished up on 98 points, really wished I could have broken the 100 points mark though.

Also it wasn't the only success of the season as Barnsley won the JPT for the first time. I got to the 4th round of the capital one cup and the 3rd round of the FA cup. I beat Gingham 2-1 at Wembley in the jpt final.

Sky%20Bet%20League%201_%20Overview%20Stages%202016%202017_zpsmhurgovs.png

Barnsley_%20History%20Best%20Eleven%202016%202017_zpsfuvq95aa.png

In my third season and the 2017 2018 season I initially tried to do things differently but I could see early on that the club didn't have the finances. I was getting frustrated in pre season because of this and late on I just reverted to a system that got the club promoted. Lots or loans and some frees. Again I managed to sign former Red Mason Holgate on loan which again I was happy with. I also signed a lot of younger premier league players.

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History%202017%202018_zps8v0elf8r.png

For the season it was very much a season of two halves. During the first half of the season things went well and we were competing with most in the division and even up to the half way mark things were going better than I could ever have expected. Our high possession game worked well.

During the second half of the season though it couldn't have gone much worse again though. As each game went the confidence seem to lower and then it was getting hard for the team to even have a chance. In the end

Sky%20Bet%20Championship_%20Overview%20Stages%202017%202018_zpstvpionfr.png

As for the cups they went okay. We didn't go far in them. 2nd round in the Capital one cup and 4th round in the fa cup getting beat by Arsenal 1-0.

Barnsley_%20History%20Best%20Eleven%202017%202018_zpsl3trooj8.png

During the 2018 2019 season things have gone the way 2018 went. I must have a crazy low points total for the calender year 2018 and it was no surprised that the club sacked me in early January. I couldn't get points against 23rd and 19th at oakwell so the clubs going down.

For those that are playing a Barnsley career mode my DOF accepted a a bid of 4.2 million from Burnley for Ryan Williams that could each 5.2 million if he plays 50 league games for the clarets.

I tried to bring in real quality in the summer but had to use a lot of loans again because the minimum wage they seemed to want was 15k. Blackburn were listed 18th in the highest wage league. I was 3 million behind them which is crazy when you think about it.

I would have liked to continue with Barnsley but once you're sacked in fm for me thats it. Don't try reloading the game and playing again.

I will try another Barnsley save on the fm16 at some point but not any time soon.

BarnsleyFan: Very harsh to be sacked there mate considering Barnsley are tipped as a mid table League One side with an outside chance of making the play offs at game start. Even more so since you managed to get them promoted as champions within 2 seasons and by the looks of it kept them up without any real threat of relegation

I've gone up first season in 2nd place but in all honesty I could easily have finished in the play offs as I only picked up 1 point from the last 2 games, both Sheffield United and Oldham could have overtaken me but they both got zero points from the last 2 games. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I have gone up as it's going to be very hard to stay up next year and I would have preferred another season of my younger players growing at a lower level

I'm going to give most of my current squad a chance to keep us up next season however I have highlighted a number of positions where I at least need competition. I want a left back to compete with George Smith, a centre half to compete with Nyatanga, defensive midfielder, left footed inside forward to play on the right and a target man centre forward

I'm hoping I can make these permanent signings but if that isn't possible due to finances I'll be making loan signings.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the season in League One and think it is going to be my main league on this version. I'm going to take Barnsley as far as I can but as soon as I'm sacked I'll be starting a new game in League One again

During the 2018 2019 season things have gone the way 2018 went. I must have a crazy low points total for the calender year 2018 and it was no surprised that the club sacked me in early January. I couldn't get points against 23rd and 19th at oakwell so the clubs going down.

For those that are playing a Barnsley career mode my DOF accepted a a bid of 4.2 million from Burnley for Ryan Williams that could each 5.2 million if he plays 50 league games for the clarets.

I tried to bring in real quality in the summer but had to use a lot of loans again because the minimum wage they seemed to want was 15k. Blackburn were listed 18th in the highest wage league. I was 3 million behind them which is crazy when you think about it.

I would have liked to continue with Barnsley but once you're sacked in fm for me thats it. Don't try reloading the game and playing again.

I will try another Barnsley save on the fm16 at some point but not any time soon.

Gutted about the sacking fella, promotion as well so it wasn't all bad. Hope you come back amd have anther go at some point. Cracking deal on Williams too, wish I could get that for him. The wage budget does make it a challenge in the Championship I can imagine.

BarnsleyFan: Very harsh to be sacked there mate considering Barnsley are tipped as a mid table League One side with an outside chance of making the play offs at game start. Even more so since you managed to get them promoted as champions within 2 seasons and by the looks of it kept them up without any real threat of relegation

I've gone up first season in 2nd place but in all honesty I could easily have finished in the play offs as I only picked up 1 point from the last 2 games, both Sheffield United and Oldham could have overtaken me but they both got zero points from the last 2 games. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I have gone up as it's going to be very hard to stay up next year and I would have preferred another season of my younger players growing at a lower level

I'm going to give most of my current squad a chance to keep us up next season however I have highlighted a number of positions where I at least need competition. I want a left back to compete with George Smith, a centre half to compete with Nyatanga, defensive midfielder, left footed inside forward to play on the right and a target man centre forward

I'm hoping I can make these permanent signings but if that isn't possible due to finances I'll be making loan signings.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the season in League One and think it is going to be my main league on this version. I'm going to take Barnsley as far as I can but as soon as I'm sacked I'll be starting a new game in League One again

Well done on the promotion Nozzer, let us know who you manage to bring in as your squad strengthens, interested to know who you go for. Hopefully you don't get sacked and can win the Champions League like i'm planning to do.

Going to get my Championship started tonight. Think I am around the end of May 16 so I can start and offer domestic based players pre-contracts. A few I was scouting have either signed new deals or have decided to retire which is a blow but there still should be enough out of contract quality out there for me to make 5 or 6 solid signings. Only problem is most would have to accept less money than they were previously on

One thing I would like to mention is Everton were somehow relegated from the PL so I'm expecting John Stones to be sold. Whilst this is good news as I should get a decent fee due to the sell on charge I can't help but think it will be bad as his transfer fee will be a lot lower due to Everton's relegation

We hit a bad patch in February only getting 1 point from 4 games,so altered our tactics to a more attack minded 4-3-1-2 and it paid dividends straight away and we went on a 12 match unbeaten which left us going into the last match needing to beat Wigan to be crowned champions,we produced probably our worst display of the season and lost2-0 but lady luck was on ourside as Rochdale could only draw away at Colchester so our resultdidn,t matter and we are promoted to the championship as champions'.The board has provisionly given me a transfer budget of £3.2m and a bit of leaway on the wages,i need cover at left-back, another centre back,a attacking centre midfielder and a striker all for £3.2m we will see how that works out.

We had a good run in the F.A.Cup following on from my last report in the replay at Hull we got absolutely battered but held firm and managed to snatch a winner in the last few minutes.Which meant we had a day out in Manchester where we put up a brave fight before going down 3-0 but it really helped the finances.The supporters also had a day out in London where they watches us beat Wycombe 1-0 in the J.P.T AT Wembley.

Having not renewed the loan deals on Smith and Wilkinson meant we were short in the striking department after trolling the transfer market I came up with a loan deal for Caolan Lavery from Sheff.Wed and he did the business with 10 goals and 4 assists from his 20 appearances,a signing that the supporters think was a great bit of business but I feel the jury is still out on him.Aston Villa are sniffing round James Bree and I expect a bid during the closed season which I shall turn down.

I got 2.8m + 900k over 18months for the Stones sell on as he went to Barcelona for less than 30m. I've just completed my summer transfers spending a total of 275k loan fee, all players leaving were out of contract. I've slightly altered my tactics and I'm ready to try and stay up in the Championship. Transfers are:

Frazier Campbell from Crystal Palace on a season long loan

Sam Morsy free transfer from Chesterfield

Duncan Watmore free transfer from Sunderland

Ben Garrett free transfer from Crewe

Callum Gribbin season long loan from Man Utd

Ryan Tuncliffe free transfer from Fulham

John Egan free transfer from Gillingham

Aiden White free transfer from Rotheram

James Collins free transfer from West Ham

Finished 8th in my first season was only 4 points from top with ten games to go then went on a wretched run and only won 2 of my last ten,Gutted to not even make play offs, I've managed to sign Danny Graham after he was released , He wasn't interested at first but after a chat he changed his mind, Just about to start season 2 I am hopeful of going up this year.

We hit a bad patch in February only getting 1 point from 4 games,so altered our tactics to a more attack minded 4-3-1-2 and it paid dividends straight away and we went on a 12 match unbeaten which left us going into the last match needing to beat Wigan to be crowned champions,we produced probably our worst display of the season and lost2-0 but lady luck was on ourside as Rochdale could only draw away at Colchester so our resultdidn,t matter and we are promoted to the championship as champions'.The board has provisionly given me a transfer budget of £3.2m and a bit of leaway on the wages,i need cover at left-back, another centre back,a attacking centre midfielder and a striker all for £3.2m we will see how that works out.

We had a good run in the F.A.Cup following on from my last report in the replay at Hull we got absolutely battered but held firm and managed to snatch a winner in the last few minutes.Which meant we had a day out in Manchester where we put up a brave fight before going down 3-0 but it really helped the finances.The supporters also had a day out in London where they watches us beat Wycombe 1-0 in the J.P.T AT Wembley.

Having not renewed the loan deals on Smith and Wilkinson meant we were short in the striking department after trolling the transfer market I came up with a loan deal for Caolan Lavery from Sheff.Wed and he did the business with 10 goals and 4 assists from his 20 appearances,a signing that the supporters think was a great bit of business but I feel the jury is still out on him.Aston Villa are sniffing round James Bree and I expect a bid during the closed season which I shall turn down.

Another promotion, i'll try not to let the team down then. Impressive stuff. 3.2m is a nice budget too and hopefully Stones gets sold too to add to that and you can have a good go in the Championship.

I got 2.8m + 900k over 18months for the Stones sell on as he went to Barcelona for less than 30m. I've just completed my summer transfers spending a total of 275k loan fee, all players leaving were out of contract. I've slightly altered my tactics and I'm ready to try and stay up in the Championship. Transfers are:

Some very good signings there, especially the James Collins one in my opinion with his cracking mental stats, I know he is on the slow side but a deep defence with him in will be very consistent and he would be a good tutor too. You will make a great profit from Morsy and Tunnicliffe too eventually if you manage to consolidate this season with them both being young.

Finished 8th in my first season was only 4 points from top with ten games to go then went on a wretched run and only won 2 of my last ten,Gutted to not even make play offs, I've managed to sign Danny Graham after he was released , He wasn't interested at first but after a chat he changed his mind, Just about to start season 2 I am hopeful of going up this year.

I'm sure Danny Graham will fire you to the top two this season so you won't even have to go through the play-offs. You're squad might be better off in the Championship with all the young players getting another years worth of experience in League One.

Good to see they put in the Stones Sell on fee. That would have helped me for sure but they didn't have that in on the beta

Started the season ok in my view. I've played 17 games and I'm 16th with 24 points (10 point cushion between me and last relegation place). I've played 17 games W7 D3 L7 but I'm not scoring enough goals, if anything happens to Fraizer Campbell I'm going to be in trouble as he has scored over 50% of my goals and I'm only averaging just over 1 per game

Mind this season is all about survival. Will assess where I am in Jan and possibly look to offload the players who have not made the step up very well. At the moment that is Ryan Williams, Marley Watkins and Sam Winnall

Just one more thing to mention as it annoyed me quite a bit in the summer. I was after both Steve Sidwell and Ben Watson who were released by their clubs in the summer but both were out of my range wages wise. As the summer progressed their demands kept going down and I was getting closer to being able to do deals before both went to clubs in Scotland for between 3k and 5k a week which was easily affordable for me. Both players were asking for over 10k a week when I tried to sign them

I assume this has something to do with club reputations but surely the 2nd tier in English football is more attractive than signing for Dundee United and Motherwell grrrrrrrrrr

haha, loving this thread, top job lewis999! I've been playing the free demo version of FM2016 but I've had a torrid time of my first 6 months at Oakwell. I'm currently in 24th spot, yes, 24th(!!) and the board are losing patience big time, they told me I need to get 11 puts from next 5 games or I''m out, but now the demo has ended (31st Dec 2015). I'm about to buy the full version and wondering whether I should continue or start again. Why am I so bad? I had lots of interest from Norwich for Bree but held on to him, my best team seems to be:

Davies

Wabara Mawson Nyatanga Smith

Williams/Bree Hourihane Scowen/Pearson Watkins

Jackson Winnall

However my strikers are utter pants. Winnall always injured, Jackson has about 4 goals, Smith and Wilko just rubbish.

I bought Jermaine Pennant for a snap but which used up all my remaining budget and he's crap too. Reading all this I can only think I am a crap manager :-/

Due to finances being so tight I haven't dabbled too much in the market, perhaps that's my problem? Funny how digital life mimics physical life though, as of 20th November we were in exactly the spot as the real team are! If you want a betting tip we lose 1-0 to Oldham tomorrow. Lol.

haha, loving this thread, top job lewis999! I've been playing the free demo version of FM2016 but I've had a torrid time of my first 6 months at Oakwell. I'm currently in 24th spot, yes, 24th(!!) and the board are losing patience big time, they told me I need to get 11 puts from next 5 games or I''m out, but now the demo has ended (31st Dec 2015). I'm about to buy the full version and wondering whether I should continue or start again. Why am I so bad? I had lots of interest from Norwich for Bree but held on to him, my best team seems to be:

Davies

Wabara Mawson Nyatanga Smith

Williams/Bree Hourihane Scowen/Pearson Watkins

Jackson Winnall

However my strikers are utter pants. Winnall always injured, Jackson has about 4 goals, Smith and Wilko just rubbish.

I bought Jermaine Pennant for a snap but which used up all my remaining budget and he's crap too. Reading all this I can only think I am a crap manager :-/

Due to finances being so tight I haven't dabbled too much in the market, perhaps that's my problem? Funny how digital life mimics physical life though, as of 20th November we were in exactly the spot as the real team are! If you want a betting tip we lose 1-0 to Oldham tomorrow. Lol.

I tried 4-4-2 at the start of my save mate and I just couldn't get it working consistently. Especially away from home I think it is a very difficult to get working although that might have just been me

I finally got sorted with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation and ended up getting promoted in 2nd place. Since you have the full version now I would suggest starting again and trying something new with what you have learned from the demo

Depending on how you set up I can recommend Tarique Fosu on loan from Reading. He was dynamite for me as an inverted inside forward

Miracles do happen Barnsley have just won promotion to the premiership after beating Brighton 4-2 at Wembley in the play-off final.The season started of reasonably after 14 games wewere in 9thplace I thought if we can keep this up we should be safe from relegation.We then went on a great run and in mid January we found oursevelves top this didn,t last long as the next 6 games only produced 2 points and we slipped down to 7th place but May the found his shooting boots and the whole team produced some great displays and went on an unbeaten run of 12 games to eventully finish in 4 th place.In the playoff semi-final a draw in the away leg meant the 2-1win in the home leg sent us to Wembley for the final.My signings for last season were:-

Jacob haugaard glk from stoke £325 steady and reliable without being outstanding

casper sloth amc loan from leeds produced some geat displays but is he good enough for the premier?

stevie may str.started off very slowly but found his form and confidence and scored 25 goals

piotr malarczyk cb Ipswich £1.2m acomplete waste of space and money,transfer listed and will make a large loss on him a polish international as well

Gabriel zakuani cb posh free as been a good back up squad member.

Now the hard work begins have been given £20m transfer budget and £348 wages which is a massive £200k more than this year.The majority of the team will be given the chance in the premier especially the midfield trio who have been brilliant through-out.Need another str.to partner May as Jackson is nowhere near good enough and will be listed,a left back is also a priority as back -up for smith and will see who else is available to strengthen the squad.

Archived