[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars
The Octadecagon Experiment

53caab25e7b0e5c0fde845b007187e1d.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

UEFA European Championships Qualifying

XM6TtKE.png

Currently we're 7th, and on first glance it looks as though we're already safe.  Bulgaria have played all their games and will finish below us.

But then I realised that only the top 8 go through, thanks to the tournament being co-hosted by Scotland and Wales.  So we're still in possible trouble.

lmX201H.png

Slovakia, Austria and Serbia all play, and these four groups could well seal our fate.

YLOcEM4.png

i5SLGou.png

PY7h2JT.png

ICUphwu.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

B7FChhq.png

Group B didn't go our way with Austria absolutely smashing Norway.

Group E was slightly  better - Serbia lost to Spain, so I think they stay below us.

Group I, as expected Slovakia beat bottom side Luxembourg to get another three points and move above us

Group J didn't matter.

So, did we qualify?

lKyXtzy.png

No.  And do you know why?  Because of one result.  Liechtenstein vs Estonia.  That goalless draw meant that Estonia rose above Liechtenstein in the table.  That wouldn't be so bad, but given it was a six team group, that meant that the results taken off of Serbia changed.  That gave them the extra point they needed to move above us, thanks to only losing 1-0 against Spain.

Bollocks.

Backdoor qualification via the Nations League? Cheers for a very entertaining and well written story here.

In a way, I'm happy to see your struggles with the last hurdle. It's a better reflection of the characters' journeys to this point, although it has to be incredibly frustrating.

15 hours ago, Ceching You Out said:

Backdoor qualification via the Nations League? Cheers for a very entertaining and well written story here.

In a way, I'm happy to see your struggles with the last hurdle. It's a better reflection of the characters' journeys to this point, although it has to be incredibly frustrating.

Kind words, thank you.  I do prefer to read threads where this kind of thing happens.  I find the ones where it's just a steamroller to a title pretty boring.  The real interest for me comes when people lose, unusual things happen.  It hasn't happened as much this save as it has in others, but that World Cup final defeat was galling.  Four more years before I get another shot.

And yes, there will be a chance to get through via the nations league.  We should be pretty well seeded too, given we finished top of the entire nations league, and every other good side will have already qualified.  Presumably.

10 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Fancy not qualifying for the Euros with Italy. :D

Last time it happened was with Scotland.  Qualified via the Nations League after a dreadful campaign, then went on to win the whole thing.  History repeating?

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

XU8c6wo.png

It'll be Ireland for us.  Two matches between us and the Euros.  If we fail to qualify, I'll have a decision to make.  Of course, that decision may be taken out of my hands.  Wouldn't be surprised if I was sacked.

asWxniy.png

If we make the final we'll face either the Czech Republic or Cyprus.  Four years ago we faced Ukraine in the final, after they beat the Czechs in the semi.  Either the champions or one of the semi finalists will therefore not be at the tournament next summer.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

YhrVYCL.png

Uw8kxHU.png

k8zPzi6.png

Huge squad announcement for a huge match.  These players need to deliver, no excuses.  Gioacchino Ruffo, Niccolo Manno, Gianni Amabile, Luca Pecorano and Silvio Trequattrini could all make their debuts.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Ffdg7J9.png

Bad news already as Pasquale Zanetti picks up an injury.  He'll be out of the Ireland game, possibly a potential final too.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

kFivQ7Z.png

It's been a long time since we've really controlled a game that wasn't against a diddy, but we managed it here.  Absolutely strolled the game in the end, with the late goal from O'Shea the only blemish.

We'll go on to the final to face the Czech Republic who won their own game fairly comfortably.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

MJz1zfP.png

Oh good Lord this was nervy.  We were minutes away from elimination after they went ahead for a second time in extra time.  But Bugliantella's aging legs got him forward and he slotted home a crucial equaliser with three minutes to go.  Czech hearts were broken, and we rallied to win 4-3 on penalties.

And breathe.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

VvyVCdf.png

FlsosH9.png

LB3jTHY.png

Not all good news, as Andrea Cirillo breaks his ankle.  Terrible news for the guy, but at the moment he's only out for 3 months.  This means that he still stands a chance of going to the Euros, should I wish to take him.

O6A5oLi.png

Context, guys.  I'm not sure how we can be overly optimistic when we've just scraped into the tournament on penalties.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

UEFA European Championships Draw

SnXU8lH.png

7wBAYyT.png7htBlL9.png

Not only did we get a pretty tough group, we also face the curse of Group F.  I'm not going to delve into our possible opponents, but we stand to face some pretty difficult opponents.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
UEFA European Championships Squad Announcement

nNF3c6m.png

Another injury, but another one we could well get past without too many issues.  We need Ronzani in there.

kFu8GEb.png

6 days is nothing, shouldn't affect anything.  But still, another injury at the worst possible time.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
UEFA European Championships

Sf6E15f.png

This part of the career is called Bobby's Coming Home, but now he really is.  It's a co-hosted tournament between Scotland and Wales, and one of Scotland's legends will appear for the enemy.  The final will be at Hampden - I would dearly love to be there.  Would also be nice to visit Kilmarnock - Bobby's a Killie boy after all.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

ZcpyHRG.png

So far, so good.  Pietro Mautone scored one in each half to give us an early lead in the group.  Holland also won, so it's looking like we're going to be battling it out with them for top spot.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

KGerQLj.png

Belgium are probably going home after a second successive defeat, but nothing could separate ourselves and Holland at the top of the table.  They now play Serbia and we play pointless Belgium.  Best result goes top.  

But given we're in group F, do we even want to finish top?  Sometimes second gets a better draw...

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

7bo0qWr.png

Group F goes absolutely mental.

Holland, who looked a good bet to top the group, lost to Serbia with goals very first and very last minutes.  That meant we just needed a point.  We got none, with an eight minute spell pushing Belgium over the top.  Unfortunately for them, the way the group panned out they finish 4th.  Serbia, having lost easily to us in the opening game, now finish top.  Crazy.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

adcUAGE.png

We edge through in second, effectively as a result of scoring two in our opening game.  We would have gone through anyway with our 4 points, but 2nd - presumably - means an easier draw.  

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

xZ9WFAb.png

We get the co-hosts.  In Cardiff.

To be honest, I'm pretty delighted with that draw.  Wales deserve our respect, but it's more the half of the draw we've been put in that delights me.

Our route to the final is looking like Turkey, then either Holland or Spain.  Serbia on the other hand get rewarded for topping the group with a match against Portugal, potentially previous finalists Ukraine in the quarters, then potentially France in the semis.  

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

lCa6D72.png

I hate to spoil a party, but it only took five first half minutes for us to effectively erase Wales.  We scored in the 26th, 27th and then 31st minutes, and although they got a goal back in the 32nd, we never really looked like we were in trouble.  

Strolled through the rest of the game, and it's on to the quarter finals.

Interesting other games though, and in a huge shock, World Cup winners France are out.  Poland dominated them, and looks like there's going to be a new French manager after the tournament.  Good to see Scotland doing well and dispatching the Ukraine too - could we meet in a final at Hampden?

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

eNzTIJp.png

Jm8uHoF.png

The big nations just keep on falling.

Holland and Spain both exit at the hands of Denmark and England respectively.  Portugal, Turkey and Germany did go through though, as expected.

Lt5F2cS.png

A grudge match, a host, Bacon vs Gravy, and a returning champion make up the quarter final draw.  I believe our semi final will be at Hampden, so facing England there before Scotland in the final would be a wonderful end to the tournament (should we get past Turkey of course).

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

73AZaKT.png

Another creaky, creaky performance, but one we came out on the right end of.  Just.

We really shouldn't have had to do that either.  We were in control for the vast majority of the game, and even when they got one back we didn't look too troubled.  But as the clock ticked down, Turkey battered in an absolutely wonderful goal from distance to tie the game up. 

Luckily we weren't punished further, and won on penalties to take our place in the semis.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

j28AmH1.png

GyPLNjJ.png

NSfy3Rw.png

In two games, my dreams of facing the home nations evaporated.  Scotland must feel absolutely devastated to have lost in that fashion.  Having fought back to 2-2 from 2-0 down, they saw themselves go 4-2 down.  A Naismith goal gave them hope, but it wasn't enough.  Portugal go through to play Germany.

And England?  Well, they got absolutely ragdolled by a rampant Denmark side.  They'll face us in the semi final, and as you saw earlier, I wouldn't have predicted that.  Hell, I was going for an Italy vs France final...

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

8gZFEeP.png

We've been in Denmark's position before.  Overachieving through a tournament, doing brilliantly, then you just fall short with the accumulation of everything that has gone before.  

Zanetti put Denmark to the sword with a wonderful hat-trick in a match we dominated.  

On to the final we go.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Oe8VuDG.png

It's Portugal into the final with an absolute schooling of a Germany side that looked pretty poor.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

wYthWbE.png

A slight change to approach as we move to a 4-4-2.  We've not played it too often, but with strikers who are on fire, I wanted to be able to play more than one.  Probably not the right time to try it, but I have faith in these players.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

chEPZf5.png

We're Champions again - for a third time running no less - but it was an odd game.

First, there was a bit of an odd atmosphere for me.  Of course I wanted to win the game, but I didn't really need to.  The World Cup is what matters, and had we lost this I don't think I would've been too bothered.  

Second, the game was just plain odd itself.  A pretty dour 90 minutes pushed us into extra-time, and I'm sure the entire crowd was struggling to keep awake.  But then after eight minutes of extra time we got the breakthrough.  Pasquale Zanetti capped a wonderful tournament with the opening goal, before Mario Martinini scored an absolutely wonderful goal to all but seal the game.  Pasquale Zanetti picked the ball up, moved ten yards into the Portugal half and lofted a long cross-field ball right onto Martinini's right foot.  He took it first time and looped a brilliant volley over the keeper.

I thought it was over then, but Portugal kept it interesting by getting a goal back.  Not enough though, and that's three in a row.  

Now on to the World Cup.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

rZUHZZD.png

8ULCrn4.png

CQ8hwru.png

PtFcbno.png

zViisc3.png

Jc7sJX4.png

This is a nice message to get.  We're now the most prolific nation in the competition, which is a wonderful achievement.  Also means that I've been responsible for a little under 30% of all of Italy's European Championship trophies.

UtKf04l.png

Not bad for the guy that broke his ankle about 4 months ago.  He was wonderful, and completely justified by decision to take a half-fit player to the tournament.

Sbi1J56.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

Well, it would've been rude not to.

I tried it with Spain, but this time I have been given control over the U23's side, and I'll be leading them to the Olympics in Greece, where I'll hopefully get a nice bonus trophy to add to the list.  It also gives me an opportunity to try out some of the fringe players that would struggle to break through to the main squad, and also some of the older players that didn't get a chance in the Summer.  Three overage players allowed, and I already have a good idea who one of them will be.

I'll try not to select those that played at the Euros, but to be honest, I don't really care what their respective clubs think.  I'll be picking the best side I can.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

EQ53Pax.png

UVmLjZ3.png

Only an 18 man squad this time, so had to make some tough decisions on how to balance my squad.  Usually when it's 23, I can do the usual 3 goalkeepers, then split the rest of the positions 8-8-4.  With five less names, ideally I'd drop one player from each group to make it 2-7-7-3, but that gives us 19.  

In the end I went with only 6 defenders.  The quality just wasn't there, and I'd rather have gone with the extra midfielder.  In terms of over-agers, there's nothing really ground-breaking there.  I definitely wanted Ermanno Prandelli in there, for obvious reasons.  He missed out on the Euros, probably deservedly, but this kind of tournament is perfect for him.  I've also brought along Pasquale Zanetti and Simone Coletta, fresh off their involvement in the Euros.  Maybe a mistake, but we'll see.  Manfredi was also involved there.

Goalkeepers

Martino Dessalvi | Valentino Crotti

Defenders

Simone Coletta | Gianluca Braga | Luigi Cosentino | Edoardo Puglia | Valerio Bartolini | Nicola Martino | Raffaele Pasini

Midfielders

Stefano Palermo | Giuseppe Biagini | Maurizio Manfredi | Maurizio Lorusso | Filippo Di Pietro | Charles  Omolade

Forwards

Ermanno PrandelliPasquale Zanetti | Bruno Buccino

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

mlBO4Nz.png

AXSKdll.png

Decent enough preparation, but they're hardly the strongest teams we were playing.

tYD09gp.png

I9Tk5y9.png

The injuries begin...Omolade is out, and Marco Verga comes in to replace.  Buccino is also injured, but apparently it's not worth calling up a replacement.  Despite him being injured probably beyond a potential final.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

qM8w7UG.png

A strong start as we put DR Congo to the sword.  We play Brazil last in the group, and it looks as though that will be the battle for the top spot.  Spain or Mexico (the holders) likely to await in the quarter final.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

ZrP7woL.png

And with that, both ourselves and Brazil are into the quarter finals.  The winner of our final game will go through as winners.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

YiG2efi.png

Finally Ermanno Prandelli gets a goal, but unfortunately it was at the end of an absolute roasting from Brazil.  We still go through, but unfortunately it means we're facing Mexico.  Probably the side I least wanted to face.  Still, you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

We're going to get pumped, aren't we?

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

15QGQ6h.png

Not quite the rollicking I expected, but not far off it.  A very, very comfortable win for Mexico, and our Olympic dream is over.

Don't care.  Never liked the Olympics anyway.  Etc etc.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
The Olympics

5D2acij.png

Spain ended up winning the whole thing, looking very impressive after a sticky group stage.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
UEFA European Nations League

Right.  Let's hope this is the final time I have to round up these games.  I've won the competition three times in a row, so a 4th would be a nice way to wrap up.  However, should we not get to that finals tournament...I will not care one tiny little bit.

J6DFzxZ.png

9kiBuwM.png

VWpjwUX.png

6THhr2t.png

hsfmtq8.png

WUnnMN6.png

f275fkd.png

I'd almost forgotten what this felt like.  In the end, our draw with Holland was what screwed us up.  Win that, and we would have been in the final once again.

Still, like I said earlier, I don't care one bit.  We now have the chance of going into a six team group for the World Cup Qualifying, which would mean a pot 6 side to murder.  That'd be nice.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Draw

oWz92gd.png

Come on...6 team group...6 team group...

ychkXKc.png

*sigh*

RsvyWLF.png

It'll be another campaign where we face Latvia and Hungary, which will bring back horrible memories of that European campaign.  On the face of it though, there is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't steamroller everyone in this group, but then there was no reason why we shouldn't have done that in the previous group we had.

Complacency be damned.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup European Qualifying

ygkiuHa.png

Before we go on, sad news as Ermanno Prandelli announces his retirement.  To be honest, he probably wouldn't have featured much, let alone made it to the World Cup, so it isn't a huge blow.  Still, always sad to lose a legend.

TfS9mk9.png

But what's this?  My successor at Juventus persuaded him to stay on for one more year.  Maybe he will be able to have one last hurrah...

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

ucwmWr6.png

lTaVg0C.png

More squad news as I announce my first of the campaign.  A few newcomers to tell you about - Simone Bazeu, Diego Borello, Pierpaolo Manicone

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 1

h4HJHXK.png

Start as you mean to go on, and by that I mean have a very nervy game where we need a double from Zanetti to get us out of a very sticky situation.  

Hungary had a brilliant two minute spell that completely turned the game around and left us reeling, but we had an even better four minutes when Zanetti struck twice to give us a scoreline that flattered us a little.

DAmZ39X.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

Archived