[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars
The Octadecagon Experiment
53caab25e7b0e5c0fde845b007187e1d.jpg
Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup European Qualifying

Group 7 Match Day 3

aMZmGjm.png

We decided to get our four goals out of the way before the opposition could get back into it this time.  Slovenia got a goal back late on, but the game was well and truly gone by then.

That puts us top of the group even with a game in hand.  Not bad.

p3uJwX3.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars
Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 4

IuXvdoN.png

It may have been an inauspicious start from us in the first game, but after three games, we've now scored 13 goals.  We're looking very dangerous in the more basic 4-4-2 system we're playing, goals coming from all over the place.

B97GlLy.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

myTCloN.png

Fabio Polidori is a newcomer and possible debutant, and I'll look to give him some gametime over the pair of games.

You may notice another fresh faced young pretender too.  Ermanno Prandelli.  The boy's back.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 5

zIeMdkB.png

Another game, another four goals.

That's now 17 in 4 games - we're on fire.  Finally we managed to get a clean sheet too.  Good news all round.

ZpmpynE.png

It would take quite the fall not to qualify now, especially with everyone else in the group taking points off each other.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 6

sQEPTTQ.png

At this rate I'm going to need to bring back my very popular "Facts About" series, because there's not much more I can say.

Another five goals scored, and we're sweeping aside teams that were causing us trouble last qualification campaign with ease.  Only disappointment against Hungary was that we stopped scoring after 56 minutes.

6rjpNQc.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 7

0J6MzR6.png

A night off for us as we play Iceland in a friendly.  Not that great a game though as our usual juggernaut style deserted us.  Not a terrible result by any means, but not great.

1FDsf8X.png

GQeFFWm.png

The rest of the group carried on without us, and continued to make a total clown-show of it.  Not a chance of any of these teams getting one of the best second placed spots unless they put a great run together.  Generally you can only lose one and draw one to still stand a chance of qualifying

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 8

FmnbiQh.png

First time we haven't scored at least 4.  I'll be lashing the squad to the Spanish Steps in Rome as penance.

uPkrVRH.png

It was enough to see us qualify though.  Kazakhstan had a (very) outside chance of qualifying, but they blew that with a defeat to Hungary.  Dead rubbers from now on - we're going to the World Cup, and it's just a matter of keeping up our performances and remaining unbeaten now.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 9

bMU4CYx.png

Cruising it now.  A disappointing loss of a clean sheet, but we're far, far too good going forward these days for it to matter.  We'll face sterner tests at the World Cup, but right now it's about enjoying the dominance.

bFXxyxa.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Group 7 Match Day 10

RvzM41S.png

A five-star performance to finish off the group, and it caps off a wonderful year for us.  We've banished the memory of that awful European Championship campaign two years ago, and now we can be a little more hopeful for the Summer.

uemN0yr.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

X4iIDbj.png

(Last side to be drawn is Poland)

Well, it's not as bad as it could've been.  We could have drawn Brazil, but instead got Costa Rica.  Cameroon are going to be that wonderful little tough game that we always get off of teams from Africa, and then Croatia...I'm going to say that's a good draw.  We could have got Belgium or England, but Croatia will still be tough.

Considering some of the horrendous draws we've had in the past, I'm not going to complain.

i8NlZDN.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

5dgi9dN.png

With my friendly plans, I'm treating this as a proper end-of-save party.  First, we'll travel to Wembley in March to face England.  A very high profile match, but it's all about visiting that stadium one last time.  And hopefully beating England one last time.

Then at the end of May we start our final World Cup preparations with a trip to Tbilisi.  Because we absolutely love travelling to Tbilisi.  Then it's three home games - two where we welcome the worst European sides I could find, and then down to Naples to face Scotland.  They didn't qualify for the World Cup, so this could well be the final time we'll meet.  Sad.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup Preparation

5IRO2ee.png

'sakes England.  You just don't get it, do you?  This is my day!  MIIIINE!

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

SIQkczz.png

Big decision to be made, but one is already down.

Here's our preliminary squad, 26 men who will now sweat on which 3 will drop.  Well, potentially only 15 men sweating, because I'd be mad to drop a defender, and I can't physically drop a goalkeeper.  I suspect I'll lose one midfielder and two strikers, although I'd like to swap those numbers around.  Here's your rundown...

Goalkeepers

Ivan Bacchin | Roberto Buccioli | Valentino Crotti

Defenders

Simone Coletta | Giuseppe Vaira | Ferdinando Piliego | Jacopo Belotti | Andrea Desideri | Luigi Cosentino | Thomas Urbinati | Michael Valzania

Midfielders

Paolo Ronzani | Gianfranco Senatore | Francesco Carosa | Thomas Vallarsa | Maurizio Manfredi | Moussa Ouedraogo | Luca Granato | Stefano De Angelis | Andrea Cirillo | Nicolo Bugiantella

Forwards

Ermanno Prandelli | Nicola Fusco | Pietro Mautone | Pasquale Zanetti | Giacomo Fiordisaggio

First, my thinking.  I decided to only pick the players I believed stood a chance of getting into the squad.  Seems an obvious thing to say, but as I've hit on before, I see no reason to call up 30 people just because I can, when some of those have absolutely no chance.  There is injuries of course, but they always helpfully wait until I've called up my 23.  Nice.

So out of this 26, there's no huge surprises.  The big decisions, like I said before, come in the midfield and up front.  At least one forward will need to be dropped, and probably two.  Although now I play a 4-4-2, I'm reluctant to go ahead with just three strikers.  I can probably get away with dropping two midfielders, but we shall see.

And will we be taking Ermanno Prandelli?  He has no legs.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

PwaDlTf.png

Goalkeepers

Ivan Bacchin | Roberto Buccioli | Valentino Crotti

Defenders

Simone Coletta | Giuseppe Vaira | Ferdinando Piliego | Jacopo Belotti | Andrea Desideri | Luigi Cosentino | Thomas Urbinati | Michael Valzania

Midfielders

Paolo Ronzani | Gianfranco Senatore | Francesco Carosa | Thomas Vallarsa | Maurizio Manfredi | Moussa Ouedraogo | Luca Granato | Stefano De Angelis | Andrea Cirillo | Nicolo Bugiantella

Forwards

Ermanno Prandelli | Nicola Fusco | Pietro Mautone | Pasquale Zanetti | Giacomo Fiordisaggio

It was a tough decision, but with Mautone and Zanetti absolutely nailed on for inclusion and Fiordisaggio a good backup option, I was essentially given the choice between taking Fusco, Prandelli or neither.  Although he's younger, I've never had the same attachment to Fusco that I have to Prandelli, so he was out.  Carosa was the next to fall, leaving me taking either Prandelli or Ouedraogo.  I opted for the former, because I'm a sucker for a big story.  Remember Peter Dailly's thunderbolt against Germany?  I want that.

g0TmyM6.png

And so it's off to Japan.  Nicol's final ride.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home

Ane0hmw.png

Ha.

Tbilisi proves to be an unhappy hunting ground for a final time as we're involved in a thriller.  I'll try and put it out of our minds, but results like this don't fill me with too much confidence.

ucbSupT.png

NT2unqD.png

CsvIB2D.png

Yeah, can't say these games are causing me to hire the open-top bus.  

Two big wins, but against absolute gutter trash in the football world.  As soon as we come up against a side who won't lie down, it's another draw.  A farewell to Scotland, and to Italy as we head to Japan.  Do we have it in us?

tCpx4d7.png

The bookies don't believe so.  We're 6th favourites, with France coming out on top.  If we lose again to France, I don't think I'll be able to keep going...

turiluf.png

The match against Luxembourg saw me take control of my 1000th game.  If only I'd saved that honour for a World Cup Final, not a friendly against a diddy.  Still, nice milestone to reach, one I foolishly thought I wouldn't reach prior to the last World Cup.

cRhqCqc.png

And finally, Ermanno is going to call it a day.  He delayed his decision for one more year last summer, and I doubt he'll do it again.  His club career is already over, so he'll have a chance to say goodbye to Italy as a whole over the next few weeks.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

AegqSwj.png

That's how you start a World Cup campaign.

A completely dominant win over a poor Costa Rice side, who had a man sent off at 1-0.  Just about as routine as you can get.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

But then the roof fell in...

93YXSph.png

This is pretty bad.  We're not blessed with world class defenders, particularly in this squad, so to have a key man out for two weeks is pretty bad news.  He should be back around a potential quarter final match, all being well, so could be worse.

How could it be worse?  Well...

M8LspUz.png

This.  This is how it could be worse.  Our top striker is out, and will probably be only fit once the Final comes around, should we get there.  Probably not even then.  Absolutely terrible news.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

LK2WGJA.png

I well and truly took my eye off the ball.  When De Angelis scored to make it 1-0, I was dreaming of going through after two games, and planning our route through the knockouts as group winners.  Then they scored, and we fell apart

In the end we were lucky to get away with just 2-1.  A terrible performance, and one that puts our qualification in jeopardy.

Huge match against Croatia coming up.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

BkAGX9x.png

We dragged ourselves out of the fire.

Glad I took Fiordisaggio to the tournament now - a wonderful hat-trick for the youngster in eight minutes, and by the time we rolled in a 4th it was well and truly over.  But what did that mean for the group as a whole?

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

neRdy3b.png

Group A saw a miserable tournament for the hosts, ending up with no points.  Very disappointing for them.  Good for Peru though as they put on a great performance to grab 2nd, Turkey just pipping them.

Group B went much the way it was expected to.  Mexico and Belgium through.

Group C saw the first huge shock as Portugal crashed out, unable to overhaul the imperious Brazil and the impressive Austria.  Mali...well, they were terrible.

Group D...we only went and won the group.  But looking at the rest of the teams, I was right in saying we could well have gone out.  Three teams on six points, with Cameroon crashing out purely because they were a bit goal-shy.  Our big wins against Croatia and Cameroon meant we pipped both to top spot, and go on to face Austria, rather than Brazil.  Big, big boost.

7nVui2z.png   

Group E saw no sentimentality for Asian opposition as China finished bottom.  Still not too bad a performance,  but they could never expect to get past Germany and England.  They move through, with England's goal difference meaning they avoid Spain in the next round.  Czech Republic won't be easy either though.

Group F went exactly how you'd expect.  Spain through with a 100% record, and the Czechs following them.  Nowt for El Salvador or Senegal to sing about.

We round it out with two pretty routine groups.  Perhaps a small surprise in that Morocco - who have done very well in recent tournaments - could only manage one point, or that Poland could top their group, but France, Chile, Poland and Argentina are hardly surprising qualifiers.

6GSoaoY.png

And in the now traditional "I took this screenshot too late" category is the 2nd round line-up.  We also now have the traditional look at where each team falls in terms of halves.  There isn't really an easy side of the draw, but I think we've got a good claim to being in the tougher one.  Spain, Germany, France or Argentina await in a potential semi final, should we get past Austria and then Belgium.  The other side of the draw holds Mexico, Brazil and England, along with outside shots Croatia, Czech Republic, Chile, Poland.  I'm going to call it now, semi finals will be us vs France and Brazil vs England.

The final...Italy vs Brazil.  Then we'll get a repeat of when they horsed Scotland 6-1 in the World Cup Final all those years ago.  Then I'll cry and cry.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

wE6h7rB.png

A fairly routine win, and the sort of one you'd give your right arm for at this stage of the tournament.  And crucially, no injuries and no suspensions to take into our quarter final with Belgium in Kasumigaoka.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

mlhp0Pd.png

clzZSD6.png

Well I clearly know nothing.

In two days, my predictions get blown out of the water.  I said that Italy, France, England and Brazil would be in the semi finals, and two of those are now out.  On Monday the Czech Republic produced a wonderful performance to deservedly send the English home, and the next day Argentina put out reigning champions France.  It would have been nice to get revenge on the French, but I'd be mad to want to play them again.  Having said that, if Argentina can beat them, do we really want to face them instead?

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

LAAY3uv.png

Brazil are now surely favourites to reach the final, although everyone on their side of the draw will want to have something to say about that.

On our side, I think we'll be favourites to beat Belgium, but then it's Spain or Argentina awaiting us.  Both will be tough.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

QBxzH4b.png

My predictions keep cursing teams.  Brazil well beaten by Mexico, and they move on to a semi final against the Czech Republic or Chile.

But enough about that, because we are very much hitting form.  We scored in stoppage time in the first half, and then added another two within five minutes of the restart.  We gave away a silly penalty around the hour mark, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to trouble us.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

krMf3rT.png

It'll be Argentina in the semi-final, but they did go the full distance in a gruelling clash with Spain.  In the battle of the Ch-sides, Chile beat the Czechs thanks to a late goal from Moreno.  

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

ol1wrOf.png

Could well be an all South-American final, or more likely a South and Central American final with only ourselves breaking that up.  Let's hope it's us.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

3CDtPZ2.png

It wasn't pretty, it was remarkably even, but we're into a second successive World Cup Final.

Sometimes games like these are just about who can drag themselves over the line.  Argentina had a days less rest than us, and they also played the full distance against Spain.  They also had to face the defending Champions in the second round.  We had two fairly easy - relatively - ties instead, both settled in 90 minutes.  Although Argentina had the vast majority of the ball, they couldn't convert that dominance into goals.  It moved into extra-time, and we were by far the fresher side.  Argentina had gone through three subs by the hour mark (two at half-time), whereas we waited until the 84th minute to make our first two.  Our third came on just minutes before our goal.  

It wasn't just about getting fresh legs though, as Stefano De Angelis, perhaps feeling hard done by for not starting, slotted home on the counter in the 100th minute to shatter Argentinian hearts.  They couldn't lift themselves, despite continuing to have most of the ball, and we are into the Final.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

cUcxfsz.png

And it'll be Mexico we face in the final after they comprehensively beat down Chile in the other semi final.  One less day's rest, but a far easier game settled in 90 minutes.

This is going to be a tough game.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

kasumigaoka_national_stadium_z161112_z5.

What an arena.  This is of course an artist's impression, but I'd hope that it would be built like this by 2118.  This wonderful arena will play host to the final game of Bobby Nicol's career.

I didn't misspeak there.  No matter the result, I'm going to end it here.  Let's face it, I'm managing a nation that is on top of the world.  There isn't another step up to make, so I don't think there's another nation I could go to to win it easily in 2122.  And I really can't face another four years if it means I've failed twice already.

So it all comes down to this.  One game.  Bobby Nicol's career can end in fame...or in crushing defeat.

STHi8vY.png

Mexico are the 4th best side in the world, we are the best.  Rankings mean nothing of course, but it's going to hopefully be a high quality game, but hopefully not a tight one (unless it goes in our favour).

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

Q1RRlE2.png

Mexico are slight favourites for the game.  1.25 to 1.75, with the draw a little over 2.  The bookies seem to think there will be a winner over 90 minutes, but I think it's going to take more than that.  Horrible feeling that this is going to come down to penalties, and if that's the case, I think I'm going to have to give Ermanno Prandelli one.  There's still horrible memories of that World Cup Final defeat to France with Scotland in Peter Dailly's final match.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

6ncE77w.png

Judgement Day not just for Italy, but for Bobby as well.  

3yfcag8.png

A hot, sticky game ahead, but given how often they get these wrong, it'll probably be snowing come game time.

uUlUL9l.png

In everyone's least favourite game, Argentina grabbed 3rd place with a last-gasp winner.  Great for them, but it really is one of the most pointless games in football.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

cnpsJXq.png

Mexico have had a better tournament than us, has to be said.  They're unbeaten, unlike us, and it's hard to point out a time when they were really troubled.  They've not been behind at any point during the tournament.

11RAHHI.png

We on the other hand, very much have.  Only in one game though, and that was that unexpected defeat to Cameroon.  A blemish on our tournament, because other than that we've been pretty comfortable.  Argentina gave us a big scare, but we rode it out pretty well to set up this final.  Which will be played in drizzle and a temperature half of what was predicted.  Sigh.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

Q0Wt0z7.png

Selection wise, there are no real problems for Mexico.  They have the usual fitness issues that plague squads around this time in a tournament, but only one player is unlucky enough to miss out completely.  Luis Hernandez will have to cheer them on from the bench.

iyFhtXl.png

We on the other hand, perhaps amazingly, have no injuries.  However, our fitness is definitely not as good as Mexico's in terms of people needing a rest.  Michael Valzania is our only absentee through suspension.

zqbHOKF.png

Jacopo Belotti vs Luis Eduardo Guerrero

The key man battle is interesting.  I thought one of our forward players would be considered the key, but good to see Jacopo Belotti highlighted.  He will be very important to us, often an unsung hero.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

m5Fpf0p.png

zj6U2cq.png

So here we go. 

Piliego gets the nod to replace the suspended Valzania, while Bugiantella gives us a completely new left flank, replacing Cirillo. 

Stefano De Angelis is rewarded for his performance from the bench in the semi final with a starting spot.

Fiordisaggio and Mautone both start up front, Zanetti and Prandelli only on the bench.

Not quite the best team we could have put in place, but given fitness issues and suspensions, this is the team we need to go with.

Bring on Mexico.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

YpqdSTk.png

We'll go up against a traditional 4-1-2-2-1 formation, so could be outnumbered in midfield.  Hopefully our wide players can tuck in at times, and if not, give their defenders something to think about.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

81KJz8B.png

We've done it.

And I can't think of any better way to do it then this.  We began with Stefano De Angelis stabbing home the opener after Mautone's flick on.  He attacked it well and managed to get in front of several defenders to leave the keeper with no chance.  

But at half time, it was level after we let Fausto Rosales get away from his marker to slot home.  Pretty much an even game at that point, and neither side could feel particularly hard done by.  

At half-time I pulled the trigger.  Fiordisaggio could perhaps feel aggrieved to have been subbed, but when he saw the man waiting to come on, I'm sure he understood.  Ermanno Prandelli, pushed out of his wheelchair so the linesman could check his studs, was waiting, ready to play the final 45 minutes of his professional career.  The second half continued to be pretty even, although Mexico were edging it as the minutes wore on.

Then, the breakthrough.  De Angelis was an absolute nuisance all game, firing down the wing like a man possessed at every opportunity.  He burst into the box and was felled as he prepared to shoot. The referee instantly pointed to the spot, and suddenly we had a chance to edge ahead.  Pietro Mautone stared at a wall of green, desperate for him to miss, but he smashed a brilliant penalty past the keeper, gave him no chance, and we were 2-1 up.

Now, had I seen this coming, I probably would have put Prandelli on penalties at half-time so he could get his goal.  Fortunately, that didn't matter.  As Mexico poured forward like a green wave, we were pegged further and further back.  We looked dangerous on the counter, and on one of those occasions a great cut-back into the box found the ageing striker.  I'm not sure why he was there.  Perhaps he got lost.  Perhaps he was just too tired to get any further forward.  Or maybe that sexy footballing brain of his just knew that if he hung back, he would get those precious yards of space.  He took it first time and smashed it straight and true into the corner.  Dreamland.

Mexico almost got one back.  Boy, did they.  We got very lucky that they missed it, the ball flashing just a yard past the post.  From then on our name was pretty much on the trophy.

Bobby's done it.  Ermanno's done it.  Italy...have done it.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

aaGeaY6.png

xMbWg3H.png

Mexico had more of the ball and more of the game, but we did more with it.  I'm immensely proud of this team.

NwU1b8e.png

A bit more detail into how the team performed.  I've talked about Prandelli and his goal, but I only briefly touched on the real star of the show.  Stefano De Angelis popped up to get the opener, but he then won the penalty and set up Prandelli for the decisive goal.  He was involved in absolutely everything, and that caps off an absolutely wonderful tournament for the lad.  Top marks.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

yYdQMCm.png

qo6jt0T.png

zV2lgF8.png

BcvUKHy.png

ubrXcFJ.png

It's not the whole story on retirements (that comes later) but a massive round of applause for Ivan Bacchin who retires.  He's been a tremendous servant to his country with his 125 caps, and had someone of his quality played outfield, he probably would've got even more.  

C09o6rW.png

zpIdjCE.png

Andrea Cirillo thanks me for the success, but it was all about this squad.  I screwed up against France 4 years ago, but the past two years have been a breeze for me as a manager.  I just set this team up to go out with a pretty basic 4-4-2, and they absolutely demolished pretty much every side they went up against.  They deserve all the success, all the praise, and they're probably going to get a lot more over the next few years.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

SzD4i5N.png

A legend bows out.

Over this long, long save, I've had a number of legends.  In fact, managing as Bobby Nicol, I am playing of those legends.  But it's rare that we have this kind of moment to end a career.  We almost had it with Super Peter Dailly, but it ended in heartache.  With Prandelli, I made the bold decision to take him to the Euros, despite him not being able to run, and was rewarded with him scoring the decisive goal.  What an end to an amazing career.  My only regret was that he wasn't at Juventus under my management.  He joined late in his career, ending things on his own terms as a double World Cup winner.

What a man.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

mQdq0FS.png

A well deserved award for Stefano De Angelis.  A couple more goals and he would have ended up with the Golden Boot too - not bad for a right midfielder.

4wvOsxc.png

Only three players in the best eleven starting line-up, but who cares?  We won the whole thing.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19
Bobby's Coming Home
FIFA World Cup 2118

6iDflZD.png

What a question.  This is always how we end these international windows, but for now it's a question with a straight answer.

For the players, the future is bright.  We do have a few aging players, but the situation is nowhere near as bad as it was 4 years ago.  Back then it was panic stations, now it's optimism.  There's several players knocking on the door of inclusion that will hopefully take their spot in the next campaign.  I wouldn't put it past this side making it three tournament wins in a row, and four European Championships in a row.

For me...well, I told you exactly what it would be.  This was always going to be my final tournament, win or lose, and now I've won it, I've completed all the available competitions I set out to win at the start of the save.  It was supposed to be 18, but ended up being 16.  The Confederations Cup and Oceania Nations Cup were broken and unavailable, but I can sub a few of the other trophies in there to make up the numbers.

So...

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 20
Bobby's Going Home

palgAIR.png

I never really like these biographies, they always seem to sterile.  So for the rest of this post I'll highlight a few of the major ones in my own, probably worse style.

zhtJUr4.png

ys1sMd9.png

Here's a full rundown of my career.  17 different roles for club and country - eight clubs across five continents, and nine international sides.  It was all going so well until I jumped ship from China to the United States, then I went into a bit of a tailspin after failing in the United States and then struggling to pick up the jobs I needed.  It took a year's break, and a return home to Firhill to bring me out of the funk, then it was pretty much a focused charge to the final few trophies.

All in all, it's been a blast.

Qs2bQVn.png

But despite that, I'm still not in the top 20 on the hall of fame.  I would have been had this been earlier in the save, but when you see Alex Ferguson in 18th, you know there's been some considerable movement.  I am the 2nd best Scottish manager, but obviously still lag behind Fergie by a distance.

2MMDRrf.png

Cracked the 1000 mark, which is nice.  42 trophies in my time, with a 64% win percentage.  Dominant.

qCDyhkC.png

Unfortunately the caps do not match what Bobby actually managed, but the rest does.  In my travels, I'm now fluent in 7 languages.  Learned.

KLLcAZt.png

Archived