Putting my best player in the right positions to win me games.

Having just had a great season with milan i've signed James rodriguez and spent a whole tonne of cash so I want him to to put in the performances to warrant this spening. I've decided I want to make a formation that is beneficial for him to thrive in. So far not so good...

where am I going wrong?

--------------------F9(s)------------------

----------------James (SS)--------------

Wp (s)------CM(d)-------BB(s)---------Wm(s)

FB(A)--------CD(d)-------CD(d)-------FB(A)

TI's: Look For overlap, Play out of Defense, Pass into space, Close down more, roam from positions.

Mentality - Standard Shape -Flexible

My thoughts Are that my F9 drops deep leaving space for James to exploit. My supporting players find him with a through ball.

My Fb's overlapp and drill balls into the box where James will be there looking to pounce on a tap in.

From what I'm seeing of the match engine James isn't running beyond at all, and my full backs are not overlapping?

I went with the flexible shape for the sole purpose of having the shape based on the players individual mentalities, but it doesn't seem to have worked..

Can anyone offer any help?

thanks in advance!

Few things to check.

1. Check his PPM's do they match the play of a Shadow Striker?

2. Wings need more variety, consider wingbacks or at least one CWB

3. Swap one of the (s) wide roles in the M strata for an (a) and do the same at the back

Good luck

My guess is you have a big hole in between your midfield and forward line (the SS usually plays almost as high as a striker, and F9 sometimes does too, depending on your team's tempo and the particular player's style). Therefore, your players probably struggle linking up in that part of the field. You also have no one else to attack the opponent's final third, so you usually end up in 1v3 or 2v4 attacking situations.

Other thing, pass into space will encourage through balls, but most opponents are probably playing a fairly low and standoffish block against you, giving your players no space to actually pass the ball into. The result is probably a lot of misplaced passes attempted over the top towards the flanks (that's where the only "space" is) and because you have almost no one to attack those balls except for James (who starts from slightly deeper/more central positions, and might not be a lightning bolt in terms of speed even though he's quite fast), your attacks are interrupted early. So your fullbacks don't overlap (btw, in a standard mentality if you want your wide backs to drive forward you need them to have quite an aggressive role such as WB(a) or even CWB)

According to how I think you want to play, I think your best bet would probably to play a more counterattacking style. That would lure out opponents more and give more space for your attackers to attack behind the defence. By playing deeper your wide mids should also be given more time to keep the ball and let fullbacks overlap them. Lastly, the biggest thing is when you are actually on the counter, tempo is maxed out so my guess is that in those instances, your F9 would become your main outlet to receive and hold up the ball or keep it by dribbling, but your SS would keep running forward into space (careful for offsides though). The high tempo would then probably catch the opposition off guard and you would then be more likely to see James get on the end of balls into the box. Otherwise, when tempo is slow, your SS is probably the only player really trying to attack the area, so he's quite isolated.

If you don't want to go counter I would then suggest you at least raise your tempo.

Having just had a great season with milan i've signed James rodriguez and spent a whole tonne of cash so I want him to to put in the performances to warrant this spening. I've decided I want to make a formation that is beneficial for him to thrive in. So far not so good...

where am I going wrong?

--------------------F9(s)------------------

----------------James (SS)--------------

Wp (s)------CM(d)-------BB(s)---------Wm(s)

FB(A)--------CD(d)-------CD(d)-------FB(A)

TI's: Look For overlap, Play out of Defense, Pass into space, Close down more, roam from positions.

Mentality - Standard Shape -Flexible

My thoughts Are that my F9 drops deep leaving space for James to exploit. My supporting players find him with a through ball.

My Fb's overlapp and drill balls into the box where James will be there looking to pounce on a tap in.

From what I'm seeing of the match engine James isn't running beyond at all, and my full backs are not overlapping?

I went with the flexible shape for the sole purpose of having the shape based on the players individual mentalities, but it doesn't seem to have worked..

Can anyone offer any help?

thanks in advance!

My first thought is that your midfield may be too far behind to supply James with the passes that you want. Do you know for example that "look for overlap" lowers the mentality of your wide midfielders? And considering the fact that you use them in support duty, the combination of both leads me to think that your midfield is not in positions to play the passes that your attack needs. Try WP-A and WM-A, with WBs-A behind them without "look for overlap" instruction.

Does your BBM have instruction for more risky passes? Have you tried CM-S instead with that instruction?

My other thought is how are other teams playing against you? What are they doing to prevent you from playing the way you want? If most of them are sitting deep and waiting for your to make mistakes, then you need to be more patient to open them up and then play the ball to James.

Have you tried "hit early crosses" + "whipped crosses"? It sends the ball quickly into the box before the opposition can organize and it can cause them a few surprises. Lastly, I would try to play without Roam from Positions. You want certain players to be in certain positions to be able to execute your way of playing. I would perhaps allow only the F9 to roam so he has even more license to create space for James.

Just some ideas....

The F9 do have the tendency to take too many long shots. Probably try using a CF(sup)/DLF(sup) instead. As for the AMC position, I preferred the AM(att) roles with PI like run with ball often, try through balls, roam from position and move into channels. This is how I play KDB in AMC, scoring about 20 goals per season.

Does James has shoot from distance as PPM?

Ok so listening to some of your suggestions I made the following changes:

I've moved my mentality to counter to allow a slower buildup and give more time for my wing backs to get beyond my wide players.

I've changed my FB(a's) to WB(a's)

I changed my second CM from a BB(s) to a CM(d) - So I can have a double pivot and give my wingbacks suitable cover when bombing forward.

I've removed my look for overlap TI and my roam from positions TI

After 4 games the noticeable differences are that:

The WB(a's) really get forward and beyond my wide players which is great and what I wanted to see! so that's already been a great success, This is reflected in the fact that my LWB has 3 assists in the last 4 games.

My striker has been reeping the rewards of the new dynamic wide play and bagged a hat trick in the first test of this changes (all from crosses)

On the other hand James has suffered only picking up one goal in the 4 games and no assists, the goal coming in the form of a worldie from outside the box, which had nothing to do really with the tactic.

the team is playing better we look better much more dynamic but James was still not putting in performances! I saw that vasilli07 said that he uses an AMC, so I figured I'd give it a try... The next 4 games saw James play out of his skin!! scoring 3 goals and getting 3 assists in the next 6 games.

Sir I am not expert but I think that people do not give TI which is related with roles. You have given instruction Pass in to space. Pass in to space to WHOM? To your F9 who drops deep and play almost playmaking role. Yes it is possible to have this instruction with F9 but you should have at least 2 players in AM strata and have them on attacking duty. Also you should ask did you create space to play ball in to. I meand if you have lower block it is possible to use. But with this higher block it is not much space behind opponents defensive line.

It is only one thing. I think that you have more bad things in your tactic than good. When I look I do not know where to start to correct mistakes. So my advice is try to read Lines and diamonds and than create solid new tactic.

So Having salvaged the wreckage that was A.C Milan using the skills of James Rodriguez, I've now taken over a struggling real madrid (5th place) full of ageing underperforming and overpaid stars.

I've decided that I'm going get the team firing again with the team revolving around a star player. That Star Player is Paul Pogba! I managed to sign him for the low price of 40 mil when you consider how much of a baller he is.

But again the question is how can I put him and the people around him in the best positions to win me games?

Now I know that James and Pogba are different types of players so I'm not looking for the amount of Goals I wanted from James but I want pogba to have a pirlo like impact on my games. Spraying passes demanding the ball go through him and takin the occasional long shot! For me there can only be one role for pogba...and that is the Regista!

Unfortunately me this is a role ive really struggled to get to perform aswell as I would like, but here are my potential formations and roles that utilise a regista, feel free to tell me where I have gone wrong and what you have had succeswith in regards to the role.

4-4-2 Diamond Narrow -

-----------P(a)---------DLF(s)---------------

-----------------AM(a)-----------------------

----------BWM(d)-------CM(d)---------------

-------------------R(s)-----------------------

-----WB(a)---CD(d)----CD(d)------WB(a)-

-------------------SK(a)--------------------

Mentality: Counter

Shape: Balanced

TI's: Close Down More, Play Out Of Defense,

My idea behind this is that the WB(a's) Push up and the regista collects the ball deep and can potentially spray it out wide to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure that you should have instruction Play out of defense and than put roles in midfield LIKE BWM and CMD.

I believe that you will need more roles like CM s or roaming playmaker or any kind of PLM. If someone manage to mark your regista I do not know who is going to transfer ball from defence to attack.

But as I said you look like player who is new in this game and this is learning proces. I wish you good luck.

Archived