Region Lock

This is the first FM title that I can't purchase due to the region lock. I live in Japan and usually have no problems purchasing FM on Steam. However, this year I get the, "We apologize that we are not licensed to sell Football Manager 2016 in this territory", message from all sorts of online retailers including HumbleBundle and Steam. Gotta say I'm disappointed... I know Sega has a reputation for doing this (the Total War series is also unavailable for purchase in Japan), but for them to finally get their hands on FM which I pour hundreds of hours into - that's not cool. It might just be limited to Japan, or perhaps other Asian countries have been locked out too? Is there any way around this?

Worth mentioning that it's not the fault of SI or SEGA, if local laws prevent the sale of a product then they & their retail partners have to abide by those laws.

It's SEGA. It always has been (you only need to look at the range of games they've published and prevented selling throughout Asia). I know SI have nothing to do with it. SEGA are the only publisher I know that are Japanese and don't like to sell their products in Japan (and elsewhere in Asia). Maybe there are stricter laws in China, for example, that prohibits sales, but why would a Japanese publisher not sell their own products in Japan? Koei are quite happy to do just that. On top of that, previous FMs are available to buy on Steam without a problem.

Cheers everyone. I looked at that other the other threads. Looks like I'll have to give someone my Steam account temporarily and have them buy it on my account to make this work.

It's SEGA. It always has been (you only need to look at the range of games they've published and prevented selling throughout Asia). I know SI have nothing to do with it. SEGA are the only publisher I know that are Japanese and don't like to sell their products in Japan (and elsewhere in Asia). Maybe there are stricter laws in China, for example, that prohibits sales, but why would a Japanese publisher not sell their own products in Japan? Koei are quite happy to do just that. On top of that, previous FMs are available to buy on Steam without a problem.

Cheers everyone. I looked at that other the other threads. Looks like I'll have to give someone my Steam account temporarily and have them buy it on my account to make this work.

You're getting mad at the wrong people. Do you really think that Sega doesn't want to sell in Japan?

Don't do that. That is the same as using a VPN yourself, only with the added risk of being robbed.

Worth mentioning that it's not the fault of SI or SEGA, if local laws prevent the sale of a product then they & their retail partners have to abide by those laws.

I wonder what those laws would be.

Toyota sells cars in Japan

Asahi sells beer in Japan

Yakult sells their pro-biotic crap in Japan

Archived