Board won't let me sign rookies - calls them unrealistic

I have two rookies both rising stars and the board agrees to let me sign them for 925k per season 2 way contracts for the NHL.

The issue is when these players accept it the board veto's the signing as they believe it is unrealistic....why would they do this when they agreed to the number earlier?

They are both two way contracts.

I am facing the same problem in my save game. I cannot sign any of my elite prospects because they want 925k in salary and as a result I keep losing their rights. This makes the game unplayable for me since I love building through the draft. I would appreciate if anyone could have a look at this.

I have uploaded a saved game and some instructions (EHM_EA_transfer_unrealistic.zip) on how to reproduce the problem. Hopefully someone can sort out what is causing this because right now I cannot continue playing and risk losing the rights to my best prospects.

If I simulate past July 1st and offer a $925,000 contract to a prospect the board allows the transfer and I am able to sign the player. However at this point I have already lost the rights to my elite prospects and they have signed elsewhere.

I used to have this problem in EHM2007, and have something similar in EHM EA where if I give a player an offer sheet and he agrees to sign it, the board rejects it saying “it’s unrealistic”. I think the issue stems from the Salary cap and how close you are to it. The offer sheet I made would have put me about 500k over the cap, but I could have made space by sending a player back to juniors, anyway the internal AI logic doesn’t understand that yet.

Back to your issue, to work around that issue, I always left myself with a 1 to 1.5mill in cap space so I would be able to sign rookies. Another way is to just sign rookies soon after you draft them, if the new patch is correct and the NHL entry level slide works as it should, you won’t waste any of their RFA years if you just send them back to juniors.

Anyways I know the workaround isn’t ideal, but it may help you until this is fixed.

Thanks for the tips, I think I am about ~$500,000 below the cap right now. Unfortunately after the regular season ended (not sure exactly when it started) my cap hit doesn't seem to change even If I trade players or send them to the minors.

• SI Staff

Thanks for the saved game dabo. This was due to the cap restrictions as the team was close to the cap and the board wasn't aware of the new cap relief rules whereby the two-way entry level contract would have been possible to include in the current salary structure. This would have also affected AI teams so most likely this was the reason why some teams were not signing some of their key prospects either. This will be fixed for the next update.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Sorry for the bump. This has happened to me. I've offered a contract to a player (UFA) and he accepted the offer but the board said unrealistic. I've checked my Salary Cap and it's currently £26k (Salary Toward Cap) and currently sitting at £22k. The cap hit would be £3.8k. Is this too close for the board?

Thanks,

Archived