[FM15]Knocking Fergie off his perch. The noisy neighbours are turning up the volume

Northernpilgrim

It's Man Utd away next, and given that this is one of only 2 remaining games against sides in the top 6 (the other being Southampton at the Etihad), I'm going to say that, if we beat them, I would expect us to win all our remaining games, and hopefully that takes us to the title. It's a big if, and there won't be an update tomorrow, but I'm hoping to do one on Tuesday, and to get the season finished this week.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not seen Arsenal be your main challenger before. What's triggered their resurgence?

Bizarrely, it's Brendan Rodgers. He's been their manager since March 2028. He couldn't quite rescue a Champions League spot that season, but they finished a strong third last season, and have kicked on again. They have the England keeper, and two of the back 4, so their defence is good, but they have good forwards too, including Bruno Gomes, a player I've tried and failed to sign several times. He's 31 now though, so I won't be trying again.

March is going to take a little explaining, but here goes. We started the month with a deserved draw in a keenly contested Manchester derby. We then battered Everton, and the scoreline actually flattered them rather than us, as we could have hit 10. To go from ruthless against Everton to toothless against Fulham, who were equally uninspiring, was frustrating, but at least we'd have a replay in front of our own fans. Drawing the second leg against Juventus, we had to come from behind, but the hard work was done in Turin and we're through. We were awful against Reading, I only hope that doesn't cost us the title as Arsenal are in scintillating form right now. We followed that by destroying Fulham in the FA Cup, and put in a thoroughly professional display to defeat Swansea in the final match of the month

Mar%202030_zpslo1qw1wb.png

And even though our points tally is pretty good, it's clear we need favours to stop Arsenal taking the title

Mar%202030%20table_zpsswym3qdr.png

Arsenal just ran out of steam in the end, winning only one of their last four games. They were beaten at QPR, drew at home to Stoke, won at Aston Villa, and were held at home by Southampton on the last day. In amongst that lot, we ended their double dreams, and strengthened our own treble ambitions by putting them out of the FA Cup.

The comparison chart shows that we are now just a single Premier League title from equalling Alex Ferguson's total of 13, and with all the other targets already reached, I'm very close to completing the challenge. I have 2 years left on my contract, and I don't intend to need both of them to see this done.

Comparison%202030_zpsd2rj9ftc.png

Moneybags City not splashing the cash on the new stadium. They have a loan for all but £1,000,000 of it!

I'm surprised they couldn't get the imbalanced loan/sponsor deals where the loan and the amount from the sponsorship leaves £50m in reserve..

I'm surprised they couldn't get the imbalanced loan/sponsor deals where the loan and the amount from the sponsorship leaves £50m in reserve..
I don't understand that either. If they have a sponsorship of £196m, and the estimated build cost is £462m, surely it'd be more cost effective to borrow £266m rather than £461m? The additional borrowing leaves a surplus of £195m, which seems rather a large contingency!!

Rusty Perez was signed as a direct replacement for Wellington, who had declined a new contract (and would only have been a backup player anyway), and we were forced to sign Mark Taylor after Ongenda retired and Heffernan refused a new contract. We also had 2 injuries meaning we only had 2 fit strikers at the club until Taylor's arrival

Transfers%202030_zpsjqras5f8.png

Perez_zpsqixnfrvt.png

Taylor_zpsuywyefnw.png

I thought that now would be a good opportunity to show how my youth prospects are developing. We don't have any stars, but we certainly won't need to go shopping for fringe players for the rest of my reign, although a new striker will be needed as mine aren't exactly youngsters any more!!

Youth%20team%202030_zpsokyvimcn.png

Strikers%202030_zpslcsju565.png

Do you not like Brown, as he had Oldham for his testimonial?

All the testimonials were against clubs the players had played for. New York refused to travel, so that left Oldham, Chesterfield, Coventry or Swindon for Brown. As for not liking him, he's played 238 games for me, and been a key part of my midfield for years. He'd have played more but midfield has always been a strong part of our team, and he's had injuries too. He's 31 now, so won't be around too much longer, but neither will I!

Just one transfer addition in the January window, and we've added Mark Taylor's international strike partner, Tony New, for £55m from Southampton. An expensive deal, but they wanted £100m in the summer, and initially asked for £77m this time. I think he'll be a good addition to the squad, given the injuries to our strikers.

Tony%20New_zpsvjviofku.png

I have now equalled Sir Alex's Man Utd trophy haul, but for some reason I'm still behind him on Hall of Fame points, so that, and the move to the new stadium in 2033, means that the challenge continues. I have decided that what I will do is to continue as manager until the stadium move. I will line up a prestige friendly to inaugurate the new stadium, and I will then quit, and holiday the save until the end of the season. I will then post a single update for the whole season, to show how they do after I leave.

Archived