[FM15]Knocking Fergie off his perch. The noisy neighbours are turning up the volume

Northernpilgrim

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am but one man.

Moved well clear of Fergie.

He's about to go into his most successful period though, and I need to get that League Cup monkey off my back. He adds a League title and FA Cup this season, so if I don't win at least the two cups I'm going to fall behind. Ideally I want a League and at least one of the cups, if we could get one of the Champions League titles knocked off this season that would certainly help. I think the 5 FA Cups might be the hardest part of the challenge, but even the League Cup is proving difficult as there's no teams not trying to win it on my save like there are IRL.

Unlucky at Anfield there, you would've had a perfect start! Good luck for the season ahead mate!
Thanks David, it's going well so far, but as we all know, the margin for error is going to be slim over the next 20 seasons. I only wish I'd nailed some cups in the first few years to take the pressure off!

Mugged by Shakhtar in Europe, we battered Crystal Palace, and yet these were our two worst results of the month. We could, and should, have won every game this month

Oct%202020_zpsewn0octb.png

but overall, 10 points from 12 in the league keeps us where we want to be, and we can still progress in Europe

Oct%202020%20table_zpsbjbu1fd4.png

Good start in the league.
Thanks Bilbo. It's been a hard start, but we've done well. Apart from Chelsea, we've played the other teams in the top 5 once already, and can be happy with our results. I'm delighted with the performance against Man Utd, but we have a long way to go to achieve my objectives this season

We led Galatasaray 3-1 with 20 minutes to go, and conceded 2 sloppy goals. Very irritating, and not what the balance of the game suggested, but we should have closed it out. We went behind early against Tottenham, equalised before half time, and spent the whole of the second half laying siege to their goal, but a combination of profligate finishing, inspired goalkeeping and the woodwork prevented us bagging a winner. Overall, I'm happy with the season so far, as we're still fighting on 4 fronts. Realistically, I'm going to have to prioritise later in the season though, so the focus at the moment is on getting as many points on the board as possible during the Champions League break.

I have not made any additions to the squad in January, and there have been no departures either, but Jack Brown has returned from a loan spell at Crewe, where he played well, so he'll be on the bench for the rest of the season. I'll post an update for him at the end of the season.

Oof. Bad cup result.
Yep, another one of those where I had loads more possession, loads more shots on target, but their keeper had a storming game. It's happening so frequently it's really starting to grate. I'm just hoping that it doesn't cost us in the league, especially as we've got some massive fixtures coming up over the next few weeks.

Easy to sum up March. Heroic effort to get the tie levelled against Madrid, heartbreak in the shootout. Dished out a thoroughly deserved revenge thrashing to Everton, and then didn't bother turning up for the Manchester Derby

Mar%202021_zps3gllkl26.png

which means we've only the league left, and it's in our own hands, just

Mar%202021%20table_zpsseercykm.png

May was an interesting month

May%202021_zpsebogiuc0.png

as we battered Southampton but lost to a counter attack goal, hammered Huddersfield for 90 minutes but only won 2-0, were a man down to a red card after 20 seconds against Cardiff (and finished with 9 due to a late injury), and played probably our best 90 minutes in months against QPR to wrap the season up. Which all leaves the final table looking like this

May%202021%20table_zpsbpkizbw8.png

Jack Brown returned from his loan spell with New York having been brilliant in his brief spell there. He played 8 league games, scored twice, one assist, and an average rating of 7.84. On his return to Manchester he was a frequent substitute (although not used often). I gave him 4 starts, he came on as a sub once, he had one assist and an average of 6.44.

Here he is

Jack%20Brown_zpsurkqsgyj.png

Given that I intend to use him in the AP(A) role in my current formation, the only key attributes he is lacking are anticipation, decisions, and teamwork. I'm thinking that using him in the way Neil Warnock used Adel Taarabt at QPR, i.e not worrying about what he didn't do, playing to his strengths, and effectively 'carrying' him when we don't have the ball, might be a way to get the most out of him. The sort of player a free role might be ideally suited to?

Excellent win against Chelsea. Yours to throw away now. :thup:
Thanks Lenzar. It was, and we didn't :)
Disappointing exit in Europe, solid league campaign. Poor Villa!
The first leg at home was disappointing, sure, as I thought we could have scored on the night. Second leg we were superb, and the deficit was gone in the first half. We could have won in normal or extra time, and were narrowly beaten in the shootout by Real Madrid. Hardly a disgrace, I only wish we could stop running into the superpowers so early in the tournament :(. And yes, Villa were poor- they conceded 9 at home to Arsenal, 5 at Liverpool, 6 at Chelsea, 6 at home to Man Utd, 6 away to us, and they only won twice in the league before Christmas.

There are going to be a few big departures over the summer. Aguero is now past his sell by date and I've agreed to move him on. Zivkovic has declined massively this season after being brilliant last season, so I'll probably move him on too, despite him being only 24. Steven Caulker is out of contract in the summer, so he'll be let go. It's fairly obvious then that my shopping list for the summer will include a central defender and 2 strikers. No need to buy a midfielder as I think Jack Brown is going to be a more than useful addition. I'm hoping the upgraded youth system is going to start bearing fruit. Even one player a season would be nice

And the updated comparison table

Comparison%202021_zpskdtuxhit.png

Given that Man Utd were trophyless in 1994/95, next season represents an opportunity to close the gap in a couple of competitions, notably the domestic cups. The pressure will only intensify if we don't, as of course they won the double in 1995/96, and their first Champions League triumph is only a few seasons away too.

Although we face Liverpool at The Etihad next, so I will know more about my team after the next update. I sent Jack Brown out to New York on loan over the summer, but have recalled him to continue his footballing education with us over the coming season. Depending on how that plays out, I may send him off to America again at the end of the season (but not if he's become a regular in my side.

Just out of interest - why did you spend £88 million on a 2-star rated, 29 year old striker from Chelsea?
My scouts rated him as 3.5 stars, but when I signed him, the Ass Man says he's a 2 star player. He did score 16 in 33 games for them last season, which was why I believed them.

September was a very good month. We played for more than 30 minutes with 10 men against Liverpool, the score was 1-1 at that point. We even took the lead after 87 mimutes, only to concede an equaliser in stoppage time. Other than that, 'Plan B' seems to be working brilliantly

Sep%202021_zps2rg11irq.png

and we're top of the League

Sep%202021%20tables_zpsfweb1sqy.png

Archived