Footballing Rivalries

I know, obviously, that each team has preset rivalries that do occur in real life.

But what about sporting rivalries the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd, they haven't always been rivals it's only due to them playing each other so often for a few years with success in competitions going to either or.

My question is, say if two teams that weren't already rivals were winning titles between them, every cup final was contested between them would they then take on a rivalry?

It's a feature I'd love to see and it has often been requested.

What would be interesting to hear is - What would need to happen for a team to become a rival in FM?

It might spark some ideas when/if SI decide to add this.

In my current save I'm Newcastle and in the last two seasons I've played Southampton 8 times, 4 in the league, the other 4 in cups. The press always make a big deal about it because we play so many times. I know that's only a small thing, but if it were to build to something more it would help sell tickets for the matches etc.

We have it working with Favoured Personnel, Icons and Legends. The 'Legends' category could be equivalent to location based rivalries where the fans are most interested, then followed by competition based ones, the more prevalent ones being in the 'Icon' class then the ones that are media hyped being the equivalent of 'Favoured Personnel'. Because that category changes on a yearly basis depending on the somewhat media driven player of the season is.

Such a good idea, I always play as Woking, and my 2 rivals are in conference south. Im usually out of the league after 2 years. But 30 years can pass, multiple trophies lifted and still the 2 conference teams are my rivals. Just not right, they should eventually be changed to minor rivals, with various other premiership London teams being my rivals, in the same way Chelsea/QPR Arsenal/Spurs are. Fulham would have been included but with their relegation im sure the rivalry isnt there the same way

I think the easiest to implement would be local ones. You wouldn't describe Bromley and Crystal Palace as rivals because of the number of leagues in between but if they were both in the Premier league that would surely be a big local derby.

Other ones could be more transient. I remember Uruguay/Australia was set as a rivalry after 2 world cup intercontinental playoff matches but that is the sort of thing that would go away if they don't meet again for a while. Just like if you met the same team in champions league knockout stages 3 times in 5 years they would become a transient rival.

In my current save I'm Newcastle and in the last two seasons I've played Southampton 8 times, 4 in the league, the other 4 in cups. The press always make a big deal about it because we play so many times. I know that's only a small thing, but if it were to build to something more it would help sell tickets for the matches etc.

We have it working with Favoured Personnel, Icons and Legends. The 'Legends' category could be equivalent to location based rivalries where the fans are most interested, then followed by competition based ones, the more prevalent ones being in the 'Icon' class then the ones that are media hyped being the equivalent of 'Favoured Personnel'. Because that category changes on a yearly basis depending on the somewhat media driven player of the season is.

It would fade quickly though, especially if there is a lack of matches in the next few seasons.

I reckon 1st and 2nd (and by extention 3rd but only for two teams) over a course of 4+ years should start a rivalry and if it continues for several years should progress to fierce competetive rivals. Naturally if one drops away the same amount of time must progress for the rivalry to evaporate.

I don't think many United fans consider Arsenal a competitive rival anymore tbqh.

That was the point I was making, they were rivals, now they've got Man City and Chelsea. With Man City as rivals for more reason than just proximity as well.

Obviously IRL discounting recent past as they aren't really challenging for titles no matter what they might say, whereas in game still on top of it.

Archived