Fall into the same trap every time

So with my current save, I managed Wigan up until 2017. Along the way I picked up the job as the manager of the Serbia national team. I got Wigan into the Premiership in my first season, and had 3 seasons of mid table solidity under my belt before it all started to go a little pear shaped.

In December 2017 I sat 18th in the table and was under pressure, and after a run of 5 defeats in a row leading up to Christmas I decided that it'd be best for the club if I gave someone else a go, as I had run out of ideas. I resigned from the post, and Steven Gerrard took over - I wished him well!

I still had the Serbia job to keep me going anyway, though had missed out on the World Cup via the playoffs..

From there I thought I was worthy of a decent job, so was quite picky when applying. I was content with Serbia, and thought that I'd go back to club management once the season was over. I had interviews for both AC and Inter Milan, and had faith that I could land a job with a Tottenham or Everton style team.

Alas - this was not the case, and after being rejected by a few teams I was finally offered a job with Brescia in Serie B. I figured my reputation hadn't stretched as far as Italy yet, despite the slight interest from the Milan clubs, so it was no biggie - I had faith that I could build from there... But I was wrong. With a media prediction of 11th, I started off very well and won my first three games.. But then, for no apparent reason, went on a run of 11 games without victory and slid right down to 20th in the table. Jobs came up at Fiorentina, Palermo and Marseille and I decided that I wanted to jump ship once more. I hadn't settled very well, and didn't think I could turn it around. I got an interview with OM but not the job, and my board were unhappy.. I left Brescia in November, 4 months after being appointed.

I have since taken over at QPR in December 2018, and am determined to do well for them - but I can't help but feel as though I've run out of ideas. My set up at Wigan worked so well for a few years, but recreating that at Brescia didn't work and I suddenly feel so one dimensional. I've played one game for them, but have automatically punted for the tactics that I used with Wigan in the Championship, assuming they'll just naturally work - but they won't. I know they won't. I need some inspiration!

I do this with pretty much every FM game. I remember years ago, maybe FM06? I had a save file where I won everything with Arsenal, and decided that rather than keep buying in World Class players I'd give youth a go. I got sacked and went to Ipswich, where I stayed for 4 months or so.. Before losing general interest in the game.

I'm determined not to just start again, I want to continue this save file - but I find it very difficult to have success after leaving my first club. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I the only one who does ok with one team, then destroys every other team I manage?

Not exactly the same but i have just come to the end of long term save with Cambridge. Took them from Skrill Premier to Premier League and Champions League success. This wasn't a quick game, took me seven years to get the first promotion. I retired the manager around 2055 and since doing that a month ago i cannot get into another save. I have tried maybe 10/15 different times but nothing compares to what i had at Cambridge.

I have created two more decent tactics while trying new clubs, i have Rochdale flying high in League Two, 17 points clear at the top with 9 games to go yet i am not enjoying it at all. I am struggling with going from managing World Class players to managing players that can hardly run straight. To add to that frustration managing at a lower level is what i love, every FM and CM i start at the bottom, work my way around half a dozen non league clubs, selling prospects to bigger clubs and watching them grow from afar.

The enjoyment of my Cambridge save has ruined FM14 for me at the moment, i just can't keep anything going longer than a season, success or not.

Pick a formation,, tactic you WANT to use. Have a good Idea of what players you needs as far as attributes go (fast, Tall? What ever.)

Stick to it, do not alter.

Sell players who do not fit.

I have had some gun youth, everything at near perfect, except poor pace (10), I sold them regardless of there 5 star Potential. I like my teams fast.

I never play MR/ML, so players in those positions are bye bye, same as SW, defensive wingers, and I play lone striker, so do not want a team full of strikers either.

Not exactly the same but i have just come to the end of long term save with Cambridge. Took them from Skrill Premier to Premier League and Champions League success. This wasn't a quick game, took me seven years to get the first promotion. I retired the manager around 2055 and since doing that a month ago i cannot get into another save. I have tried maybe 10/15 different times but nothing compares to what i had at Cambridge.

I have created two more decent tactics while trying new clubs, i have Rochdale flying high in League Two, 17 points clear at the top with 9 games to go yet i am not enjoying it at all. I am struggling with going from managing World Class players to managing players that can hardly run straight. To add to that frustration managing at a lower level is what i love, every FM and CM i start at the bottom, work my way around half a dozen non league clubs, selling prospects to bigger clubs and watching them grow from afar.

The enjoyment of my Cambridge save has ruined FM14 for me at the moment, i just can't keep anything going longer than a season, success or not.

That's gutting.. It took me ages to settle into this Wigan file, so I know the frustration of not finding one to be interested in. And yes, on previous versions of the game after reaching 2022 and beyond, I find it very difficult to start a new file back at square one with all the real players.

I think once you've "been to the mountaintop" with a club in a long-term save, it's really difficult to seperate and move on. I've never been divorced (although my FM addiction by all rights should have resulted in the filing of papers), but I imagine moving on to another club is like moving on to another other. Things that worked really well with the old regular don't work at all in new surroundings. That's why when I make a significant break in club employment, I take an actual day or two going over the club, the staff, the players, their attributes and stats, who's scoring goals and from where. If one of my "tried and true" tactics fit the team, I give them a couple games run in it. If not, I look at what tactics other teams in my league are running and try to come up with a counter. But you have to remember that until you've worked with the new team for a season or two, they're not going to have tactical familiarity with your system - unless you steal all the players from your old team (I've done that before...)

I think once you've "been to the mountaintop" with a club in a long-term save, it's really difficult to seperate and move on.

I imagine that's only if you were sacked. I resigned after a decade because I needed something new, I wasn't looking forward to the upcoming season. After some months, I took over my hometown club, Brighton, who were in League 2. A few years later, and in the Premier League, and no boredom yet.

Archived