How to anticipate a player performance ?

What makes a player play well on a certain match ?

I guess his attributes, his moral and his physical condition for sure...

Has his recent form an impact on his next performance ? Or just on his moral ? Can we expect that a player who had a 9 on his last game should perform better than the same one who had a 5 ? Should we take this into account when picking up a team ? Is the "form of the day" random ?

Also has training an impact ? Should a player who trains well perform better than the one who doesn't ? For now it seems that it's the opposite... a player who has good performance has a better moral so he'll train better !...

IRL, the manager observes his player during the training week and that could give him information about who could be "on fire" !... This Young player was really good during the training week so maybe I should put him on the pitch !... I would really like this aspect being implemented in the game !...

I have often thought this is something that needs addressing. Like you say, a manager would see the players on the training field. Little comments like

"Joe bloggs was outstanding in training today, A.N Other couldn't get sniff in front of goal" or, in finishing practice, Striker A hit the target everytime while Stiker B missed more than he scored.

For midfielders "In the two touch session, Paul Scholes touch, vision and passing were exemplary whilst Tom Cleverley just gave the ball away time after time.

"Nothing was going to beat G Keeper in todays practice match, he really wants them gloves for the next match!"

I think there also needs to be more feedback from the assistant manager after a match as well on training for the coming week. I'd like to be able to do something when my assistant tells me that player X's passing has been woeful today. You want to be able to tell him to focus on it in the coming week suggest certain regimes and want to see an improvement in the next game.

I think training in FM still has a long way to go in mimicking real life and would like to see more coaches consulted on training drills and then implemented into the game.

I have often thought this is something that needs addressing. Like you say, a manager would see the players on the training field. Little comments like

"Joe bloggs was outstanding in training today, A.N Other couldn't get sniff in front of goal" or, in finishing practice, Striker A hit the target everytime while Stiker B missed more than he scored.

For midfielders "In the two touch session, Paul Scholes touch, vision and passing were exemplary whilst Tom Cleverley just gave the ball away time after time.

"Nothing was going to beat G Keeper in todays practice match, he really wants them gloves for the next match!"

And then just imagine the outrage on this forum when the player that they have been told should play (by their AssMan) does a David James in the first 30 seconds of the Champions League Final and costs them the cup.........

And then just imagine the outrage on this forum when the player that they have been told should play (by their AssMan) does a David James in the first 30 seconds of the Champions League Final and costs them the cup.........

That sounds about right.

One aspect I think could benefit from more feedback is a player's mental state approaching the game. I feel that this has quite a big impact on their match performance (ie are they complacent/disinterested/nervous etc) but the first solid feedback you get on this is after you've picked the team where you AM talks about how players looked in the pre-match warm up. Yes there are indicators you can sometimes pick up from their response to press conferences etc but this isn't nearly as comprehensive as the feel for mood I think a manager and coaches would get by working with players all week.

Having a better view on the mental state of your players in the days before a game would enable more responsive management and also throw up interesting decisions. Eg your AM tells you your star striker has being mouthing off about how easy the weekend fixture will be and seems to have slackened off in training a bit this week (ie shows signs of complacency). Your reserve striker who is pretty good but clearly second best, has been raring to go and looked sharp in training. Who do you go with? Do you gamble that a firm team talk and individual instructions to the star will get him on the pitch in proper shape? or that even if that doesn't work his superior skills still make him first choice? Or do you give the reserve the chance to prove himself?

One aspect I think could benefit from more feedback is a player's mental state approaching the game. I feel that this has quite a big impact on their match performance (ie are they complacent/disinterested/nervous etc) but the first solid feedback you get on this is after you've picked the team where you AM talks about how players looked in the pre-match warm up. Yes there are indicators you can sometimes pick up from their response to press conferences etc but this isn't nearly as comprehensive as the feel for mood I think a manager and coaches would get by working with players all week.

Having a better view on the mental state of your players in the days before a game would enable more responsive management and also throw up interesting decisions. Eg your AM tells you your star striker has being mouthing off about how easy the weekend fixture will be and seems to have slackened off in training a bit this week (ie shows signs of complacency). Your reserve striker who is pretty good but clearly second best, has been raring to go and looked sharp in training. Who do you go with? Do you gamble that a firm team talk and individual instructions to the star will get him on the pitch in proper shape? or that even if that doesn't work his superior skills still make him first choice? Or do you give the reserve the chance to prove himself?

Completely agree with that, I've had so many problems the last few seasons with players not being in the right frame of mind and the first i see it is after 30 seconds after kick off when they switch to "very nervous". Then you've got at least 45 minutes of playing pretty much with 10 men. Sub him off at half time and tell his rival for the starting position to go out there and impress only to see his mood change 3 minutes into the 2nd half as being "Looking complacent".

So frustrating when you are trying to instill a mentally strong philosophy into the club and want to approach every game with the same high levels of concentration.

I think the coaches with strong mental training stats could come into their own with greater insight into player mood and mental state. Even the team cohesion information is pretty sparse at the moment and doesn't real tell you a lot until it's too late.

Archived