Need help - With a fairly successful top tier team

I'd like some help from players who have the of playing with a single team with multiple seasons and being successful with said team.

I'm currently in the 2018-2019 season with AC Milan as the title favourites. I started the game as Milan and so far have won 3 league titles and 1 CL (last season).

I currently play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 CMs and AML/R. My roles are

Sweeper keeper support

2x CBd

DLPs and CMd

Left IF(s) (Right footed)

Right Winger(a)

AP(a)/AM(s)

Striker and fullback roles (striker generally a finisher) vary depending on game and situation. No individual instructions to note.

Compared to rest of league. Decisions 1st, First touch 2nd, Passing 1st, Strength 2nd, Teamwork 1st, Leadership 7th, Aggression 14th. Defense and midfield pretty much at least top 5 in all categories.

I've 2 tactics pretty much fully trained, both 4-2-3-1. One is a standard possession orientated style, holding onto ball and probe the defense. TIs are: retain, shorter, work into box, play out of defense, sometimes tighter marking. I found roaming to be counter-productive a few seasons ago due to lower quality players.

Second tactic is a more physical 'bum-rush' attacking style. TIs are: Pass into space, work into box, hassle, get stuck in, more direct passing, offside trap, push higher up. Had tighter marking in the past, found counter-productive.

Also played possession orientated 4-4-1-1s and 4-3-3s in the past.

I'm at the stage in the game where teams are countering my strategies every 6 months or so. Previously I was successful with my possession 4-3-3, then couple months later that became ineffectual, so switched to possession/harassing 4-2-3-1, when I won the league that then became useless, forcing a switch into the possession 4-2-3-1 I use now, which lasted 6 months before having to switch to my 'bum-rush' 4-2-3-1. That got me the CL, and now that tactic is useless. My possession styles used to unlock teams and now they just hold the ball but do nothing with it. My high tempo styles used to win the ball quickly but now teams run circles around them. I'm now at the point where my possession style and 'bum-rush' style are both ineffectual, which amazes me as they're 2 polar opposite strategies.

I'm very much into building a 'dynasty' or project with a single club and being successful with them long term. I like to invest heavily into my youth setups and pluck promising youngsters from other teams and infuse them with the teams identity and playstyle. Obviously teams will adapt to your playstyle. This hasn't been a problem in previous FM editions but I've no answer for it in FM14. I am not looking for threads re effective midfield combinations or how to read the game etc. I am looking for advice on how to build a long lasting playstyle or concept. eg Barcelona's tiki taka or Arsenal's possession game with Arsene Wenger. Afaik Guardiola and Wenger didn't have to radically change their playstyle or formation every 6 months or so because teams figured them out. Obviously Barcelona has been successful why Arsenal haven't been as successful, but I'm sure if Arsenal spent as much money as Chelsea and City things would be different, though that's another discussion.

I treat FM14 as a game (not a simulation) so I'd like help from that perspective. I don't understand how (or why) this game forces me to play on its terms. I believe my team has enough quality to dictate how they're going to approach the game (I could be completely wrong about my team's ability), and should be good enough to beat 90% of teams in the league by playing the football they prefer. Instead I'm finding I have to change my game plan every 6 months or so, forcing me to rotate a carousel of tactics until i find the right one that's going to last me another 6 months. Unfortunately this isn't fun at all.

Again, I'm not looking for advice on how to read the game and making adjustments every game, that tends to go against what I'm trying to create. I do make minor adjustments (wider, deeper, slower, quicker etc) but I'm really not interested in watching the game for 10-15mins. Because of that, I'm not expecting plenty of trophies (Arsenal has won bugger all in last decade).

I just want to know how to play a style of football for long periods of time, and not having to change radically every 6 months. Ie are my tactics horrible? are my players not good enough? am I playing in the wrong league (multiple formations in Serie A)? etc.

Sometimes it is just minor things like the weather changes, making you struggle tactically playing a possession game slightly - a good tactic is not "found out" but teams can adapt depending on your improvement. Sometimes it is minor little tactical tweaks that win you a game - i.e. getting your left winger pushing forward more then you need an extra man in the box - little things like that.

Sometimes it is just minor things like the weather changes, making you struggle tactically playing a possession game slightly - a good tactic is not "found out" but teams can adapt depending on your improvement.

Are you sure this is the case? There have been plenty of posts about people struggling after 15-20 games which coincides with half a usual season.

While on the topic, I just finished a game against Inter (quite close to me in the league table) where I led 2-0 after half time then got totally butchered in second half. I watch the game with key highlights and it amused me how 2nd half highlights were Inter's 3 goals. Nothing else, no highlights from 65-90mins.

Are you sure this is the case? There have been plenty of posts about people struggling after 15-20 games which coincides with half a usual season.

While on the topic, I just finished a game against Inter (quite close to me in the league table) where I led 2-0 after half time then got totally butchered in second half. I watch the game with key highlights and it amused me how 2nd half highlights were Inter's 3 goals. Nothing else, no highlights from 65-90mins.

Yes, you don't get "found out." What people are experiencing is AI teams begin adjusting to your team's increasing reputation, good form etc. In most, if not all, cases, people who experience this are going on big win streaks or are otherwise overly successful (often overachieving as the game sees it) in the early season. By mid-season, though odds for matches begin changing and the AI will often start to play more defensive against you, making your tactic less effective as it is still set up to work against clubs who are taking more chances.

As for your experience with key highlights, that isn't uncommon. Games just go back and forth, then a great chance opens up and as likely as not it is a goal.

Yes, you don't get "found out." What people are experiencing is AI teams begin adjusting to your team's increasing reputation, good form etc. In most, if not all, cases, people who experience this are going on big win streaks or are otherwise overly successful (often overachieving as the game sees it) in the early season. By mid-season, though odds for matches begin changing and the AI will often start to play more defensive against you, making your tactic less effective as it is still set up to work against clubs who are taking more chances.

My understanding of the AI adjusting and my tactic getting found out is the same thing. Obviously it's not the same so can you explain to me the difference?

My understanding of the AI adjusting and my tactic getting found out is the same thing. Obviously it's not the same so can you explain to me the difference?

Well, adjusting is just what any of us do. It doesn't merely do this after half a season, though, the AI is adjusting all along from game 1, just like the user. It just becomes more noticeable later because they start games differently than they might have. The reason it seems pedantic to you to distinguish between "found out" and adjusting is that "found out" gives the impression that at some point the AI 'cracks' your tactic and you can longer win. In other words, SI have rigged it up so as to make you less successful, and it's closely related to the theory that the AI cheats to make up for deficiencies against the human player. So I would say no, it doesn't find you out, it just starts playing differently to respect your form and league position. Doesn't mean it will always work for the AI, and it doesn't. If it were cracking your tactic, you'd never win again with it.

The coincidence of it being roughly half a season is well, because, in as simple terms as possible it is roughly half a season. You play your cycle of games and come up against the opposition for the second time in the second half of the season. Any manager who has lost the first game and approaches it exactly the same in the second is asking for a similar result. Likewise, any manager who has won and game and doesn't expect something different in the second is complacent and is asking for a different result.

There are so many factors that contribute toward the result of a football match. As Dr. Hook says form, league position, home/away, weather conditions, expectations, complacency, fatigue, morale etc etc.

Take Scolari's time at Chelsea. If memory serves he had a great start but eventually as his side were observed and increasingly examined there was a clear aspect of his team's play - very, very attacking full backs if I remember rightly - that was his strength and weakness. Managers made suitable adjustments, took it into consideration and as a result Chelsea's form suffered. He didn't seem to have any obvious plan B (or wasn't given the chance to) and so he was sacked in less than a year.

The key is to be situational anyway - there is no such thing as a tactic that is always going to break down every opposition. For me, you should adapt how your team plays depending on who you are playing and how they play.

I will look at how my opposition is lining up, and react accordingly. I always play a DMC when the opposition has 2 STC (especially if coupled with an AMC), because my DCs are not the best, and because I like to attack with my FBs. I always try to play with an AMC against 4-2-3-1, to exploit the space between defence and midfield (of course, I am exposing myself doing this, but I tend to leave a FB in defence). I also change a lot mid game if I feel there is something to exploit, or if I really need to kill off an opposition player who is destroying me (I recently switched to a FBL and WBL to deal with an opposition winger).

I suppose my message would be I find nothing unusual in having to change up your tactic. I should say that although the formation I use changes, the style does not. I play fast paced, football, with direct play from forwards and using my MCs and FBs to recycle possession when there is nothing on. So you can keep a certain philosophy whilst being tactically flexible.

The key is to be situational anyway - there is no such thing as a tactic that is always going to break down every opposition. For me, you should adapt how your team plays depending on who you are playing and how they play.

I will look at how my opposition is lining up, and react accordingly. I always play a DMC when the opposition has 2 STC (especially if coupled with an AMC), because my DCs are not the best, and because I like to attack with my FBs. I always try to play with an AMC against 4-2-3-1, to exploit the space between defence and midfield (of course, I am exposing myself doing this, but I tend to leave a FB in defence). I also change a lot mid game if I feel there is something to exploit, or if I really need to kill off an opposition player who is destroying me (I recently switched to a FBL and WBL to deal with an opposition winger).

I suppose my message would be I find nothing unusual in having to change up your tactic. I should say that although the formation I use changes, the style does not. I play fast paced, football, with direct play from forwards and using my MCs and FBs to recycle possession when there is nothing on. So you can keep a certain philosophy whilst being tactically flexible.

Each to their own. This is totally the opposite of what I'm going for. Fair enough if you're against tough opposition and need to change things up to get through one match, such as a CL game etc.

When I find I need to do this against middle-table opposition or some crap side like CSKA Moscow (no offense intended at all) I get really frustrated. Particularly because most of these changes make absolutely no sense at all. Sometimes my 3-man midfield gets totally dominated by a 2-man setup like 4-4-2. The most horrible case i remember was a diamond outplaying my 4-3-3 in the middle and the flanks. Then there are results that go against what's generally advised on the forums, eg dribbling against defenses that drop deep and play possession football against high pressing team.

I find everything I do is hit or miss. I can play the same team 20 times and get 50/50 results. Regardless if the odds or with me or against me.

Edit: I just played 7 games against CSKA Moscow in CL at home. I lost away game 2-1. I won 3 times, (1x pens, 1x OT, 1x regulation), lost 3 times and drew once. CSKA set out to hassle me in their half and launch quick counters. Common sense would suggest a cautious patient approach since 1 goal for me would be sufficient to get through. That cautious approach got me 2 losses and 1 draw. My high pressing ultra aggressive pressing route one tactic (the one that's supposed to be countered to pieces) got me 3 wins and 1 loss. Same line-ups, team talks etc.

I'm at a complete loss. Not to sound pissed off but how is anyone supposed to prepare when the 'wrong way' to approach a match gives you the most positive results.

Edit: I just played 7 games against CSKA Moscow in CL at home. I lost away game 2-1. I won 3 times, (1x pens, 1x OT, 1x regulation), lost 3 times and drew once. CSKA set out to hassle me in their half and launch quick counters. Common sense would suggest a cautious patient approach since 1 goal for me would be sufficient to get through. That cautious approach got me 2 losses and 1 draw. My high pressing ultra aggressive pressing route one tactic (the one that's supposed to be countered to pieces) got me 3 wins and 1 loss. Same line-ups, team talks etc.

I'm at a complete loss. Not to sound pissed off but how is anyone supposed to prepare when the 'wrong way' to approach a match gives you the most positive results.

No Champions League team is crap, they are a top team in their top division.

When you played against CSKA seven times, did you take the same approach? Did you just use the same personnal and same tactic?

Or did you learn for each match and adjust? The AI does exactly what you do. As far as I know, the AI does not cheat and has the same (ish) tools that players get. For example, it takes a scout report and focuses on strength and weakness.

I don't need a scout report to know that Milan needs a goal to qualify for the next round so Milan is going to Attack. Playing patient only works when leading or the game is balanced. So I am CSKA so I'm either I'm going to Defend or player on the Counter and this makes scoring a goal for Milan harder.

No Champions League team is crap, they are a top team in their top division.

When you played against CSKA seven times, did you take the same approach? Did you just use the same personnal and same tactic?

Or did you learn for each match and adjust? The AI does exactly what you do. As far as I know, the AI does not cheat and has the same (ish) tools that players get. For example, it takes a scout report and focuses on strength and weakness.

I don't need a scout report to know that Milan needs a goal to qualify for the next round so Milan is going to Attack. Playing patient only works when leading or the game is balanced. So I am CSKA so I'm either I'm going to Defend or player on the Counter and this makes scoring a goal for Milan harder.

I don't want to argue semantics about what constitutes crap and what's not crap. Let's just say attribute-wise they're far inferior to me. From the comparison page I only look slightly better because i've got a bunch of youngsters in my first-team squad which makes my first 11 look worse.

I didn't take the same approach when I played them, I used a cautious possession based approach 3 times (2 losses and 1 draw), and a route one high aggression approach (3 wins and 1 loss). I agree with your game plan. CSKA is going to defend and play on the counter, that's why I played a patient game, because I was confident I've enough quality to get a goal at home. Even IRL 2-1 away from home 1st leg in CL is a good result for most teams. Regardless of whether adopting a patient approach is going to work, surely adopting a suicidal overload approach isn't the right way, particularly when the other team is looking to counter. Hard to argue against the results though.

After my CSKA game posted previously, my next opponent was Parma, 14th in the league, lost last 5 league games straight.

Played 8 games against them, 3 draws, 5 losses.

Here are some screenshots of my last 4 attempts. 2 with a patient possession based strategy, 2 with a route one high aggression strategy. Tell me what's wrong, if you can.

First 2 games with my possession based strategy.

No notable PIs. Roam and Move into channels with Striker.

2e2foz4.jpg

Match stats and Milan team stats for Match 1

2iuz1gl.jpg

2saau6g.jpg

Match 2

This game I 'won' because a crazy out of nowhere goal from Kovacic and a crazy own goal from the Parma keeper after Douglas Costa floated the ball to him from a free kick. Consider this one a draw or a loss.

otiwqd.jpg

2vunex5.jpg

Matches 3 and 4 I adopted a route one high aggression strategy.

dq6wht.jpg

Match 3

34hylx0.jpg

2v0o7cg.jpg

Match 4

2mla43.jpg

24cuyqu.jpg

I'm playing on 14.2 at the moment. Going to try 14.3 when the download's done. I doubt it's going to be different so might be going back to FM13.

I quit this game. It's obviously far too difficult for me.

I have to replay the same game 5-10 times to get any sort of acceptable result. With high tempo tactics, low tempo tactics, pressing tactics, stand-off tactics. It's just ridiculous. Opposition teams (bottom 10 of their divisions) rip my defenses apart regardless of what I do. They're playing tiki taka compared to my stoneage England NT tactics. Can't hold onto the ball for 5 passes even with shorter passing and retain possession on. Starting the game on defensive isn't defensive enough against Sampdoria who's 20 points below me on the league table. If I hassle, they route-one it to their <15 anticipation finishing off-the-ball, acceleration striker and boom. If i sit back they pass me to death. Meanwhile my 17 finishing anticipation OTB striker smashes shots into the keeper, the side netting, row Z, or just stand around.

There's no movement from my front 4, just stagnant standing around not doing **** all. I don't even know where to begin to describe what's wrong.

1 season ago the same tactics got me a CL, and look at my team now. AI figuring my tactics out or adapting or whatever, I don't understand how an AI adapts against 2 polar opposite strategies at once. I've played CM/FM for 10 years and haven't seen this much cheese, players of absolute **** quality showing better technical skill and mental game than a far superior player.

Inter put 3 fantastic goals past me, I look at the guy that scored them and I nearly vomited. More attributes under 10 than over, 4 physical attributes over 15.

I must've played the same 5 teams over 40 times in total in the last 2 days, and I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I've won 3/40. Tactics or not, a clearly superior team shouldn't be going 3/40.

As above, obviously this game's too difficult for me.

Mate chilling out for a start will help. Time to be blunt:

• If you are changing between extreme opposites for the same game, then your team is clearly not going to be fluid in these strategies
  • Your team roles and duties are all over the place - lone target man up front, no defensive duty in midfield
  • Hassle opponents and offside trap should only be used with a high defensive line
  • Run at Defence and Pass into Space are opposite shouts - why are you using both? Maybe remove both and let players decide for themselves?

Frankly there is little logic in what you are doing - re-read wwfan's 12-steps guide - so when you design a simple system, you can tick off every single point as followed exactly. Once you are doing this it is easier to build on it and adapt it.

A clearly superior team with poor tactics does get beaten over and over against a poor organised side. Bradford v Arsenal, Oldham v Liverpool, Olympiakos v Man Utd - get your system set up in a logical, basic fashion - with no more than 4 team instructions to start with, and go from there. I am always happy to help, but you need to help yourself, that includes not sounding suicidal about it.

Well thanks for being blunt.

Point 1: Both extremities were trained in the off season so both are close to being fully trained and familiar.

Point 2: Lone target man up front gave me the best performance over the last 2 seasons regardless of which approach I had. With pass into space the TM supply gets changed to run onto balls. I saw no discernible difference between any of the other roles and duties, except F9 and DLF(s). Given the number of touches the TM had, I don't think isolation is a problem.

I don't have a defense duty in my midfield because I've got 2 players in the DM positions. My DLP constantly drops back to get the ball anyway, with defensive duties he stands back too much. When I played my '2' in the CM slots I always had 1 on D. My defensive woes aren't about not having enough bodies back defending. It's 2-3 players closing down 1 person, creating huge gaps. It's the top 3 marking/tackling players getting passed around by technically and mentally inferior teams.

Point 3: I am using a high defensive line, I'm playing an attack strategy, it's got a high defensive line by default doesn't it?

Point 4: Pass into space to supply my targetman, run at defense because my wide players aren't the most creative, so I ask them to create space by dribbling.

No logic in your opinion doesn't mean I face rolled my keyboard and ended up with these shouts. I built this tactic from balanced standard no shouts to what I've got now, and I don't see how 5-6 shouts is excessive in any way. I use 2-3 for defense and 2-3 for attacking.

Indeed a clearly superior team with poor tactics does get beaten. But if Bradford played Arsenal 8 times like I've played CSKA, Parma etc, would anyone expect Arsenal to lose 8 times?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give myself plenty of time to 'cool off' before coming back to see what your advice was.

I present my thoughts to you as coherently as I could, thoroughly explaining to you why I've selected each role, duty etc, for some reason you think I'm arguing with you. I welcome your criticism, unfortunately none of the points you've raised are valid to begin with.

1) What's the point of training 2-3 tactics in the pre-season until all 8 bars reach full if they're not fluid enough to be switched from game to game? Do I need to download the FMRTE to ensure I've got maximum fluidity?

2) I can't quote you the post on the forum but someone had said targetman supply depends on your shouts.

3) Is it a must to have 'Push higher up' selected with offside trap?

4) As explained above.

Please don't assume I've facerolled my keyboard to get to where I am, I am merely defending my reasoning for my choices. I've racked up 10-15 days of actual playing time on this save and for you to assume I'm not going to defend my choices is quite frankly, bloody offensive.

I play same way as you - prefer to coach only team long time with micro management, including youth development.

I have 2 base tactics, same as you 4-1-2-2-1 - one is counter and other is what you name bum-rush, more attacking. However, I get my preparing for every single game, I view matches at full and comprehensive mode and adapting my base tactics in every game depends on what i see on the field. I've never reload my game, and yes, we are loosing from time to time. But isn't it exactly like in real life?

I manage my team through 3 seasons, and have no problems with AI adapting my tactics. 1st season was no good, 2nd season we was promoted to PL and now its my 3rd season - we trying not to be relegated and i think we'll be ok with it.

1) What's the point of training 2-3 tactics in the pre-season until all 8 bars reach full if they're not fluid enough to be switched from game to game? Do I need to download the FMRTE to ensure I've got maximum fluidity?

2) I can't quote you the post on the forum but someone had said targetman supply depends on your shouts.

3) Is it a must to have 'Push higher up' selected with offside trap?

4) As explained above.

1 - You can train 1 base tactic all the way to fully fluid, or 2-3 tactics at the expense of all being fluid. I have 3 different formations, similar overall style, but adaptations to retain the ball, counter attack, or press heavily. You don't always need an extreme approach, a mildly adapted balance can work well from game to game.

2 - Target Man by the nature of his default instructions is often isolated - as he clearly in the first 2 games barely had a pass or a shot. He does not possess much movement, and you don't have much running from deep. You have no defend duties in midfield. Not unreasonable to suggest perhaps this can expose you - especially if you are pressing aggressively from a deep position, you will vacate your good defensive position and ruin your shape.

3 - See above comment.

4 - Once again, they are opposite shouts, they will work against each other. Not sure what the argument is. Simple.

You weren't "defending your choices", you were claiming that my points were wrong because, basically, each thing was working fine - except it isn't, which is why you posted...

I play same way as you - prefer to coach only team long time with micro management, including youth development.

I have 2 base tactics, same as you 4-1-2-2-1 - one is counter and other is what you name bum-rush, more attacking. However, I get my preparing for every single game, I view matches at full and comprehensive mode and adapting my base tactics in every game depends on what i see on the field. I've never reload my game, and yes, we are loosing from time to time. But isn't it exactly like in real life?

I manage my team through 3 seasons, and have no problems with AI adapting my tactics. 1st season was no good, 2nd season we was promoted to PL and now its my 3rd season - we trying not to be relegated and i think we'll be ok with it.

I've nothing against losing at all. I don't really reload either, unless I'm experimenting, like playing 10 consecutive games against the same opposition. One season I was 1st in the league at Christmas and promptly drew/lost most of my games after the break and ended up 9th at end of the season.

I think some aspects of this FM is quite realistic, though the realism isn't what makes me play it. To me the game is just a huge spreadsheet. Good players and tactics etc just increase your chance of winning, but you're never guaranteed to win, just like real life.

1 - You can train 1 base tactic all the way to fully fluid, or 2-3 tactics at the expense of all being fluid. I have 3 different formations, similar overall style, but adaptations to retain the ball, counter attack, or press heavily. You don't always need an extreme approach, a mildly adapted balance can work well from game to game.

2 - Target Man by the nature of his default instructions is often isolated - as he clearly in the first 2 games barely had a pass or a shot. He does not possess much movement, and you don't have much running from deep. You have no defend duties in midfield. Not unreasonable to suggest perhaps this can expose you - especially if you are pressing aggressively from a deep position, you will vacate your good defensive position and ruin your shape.

3 - See above comment.

4 - Once again, they are opposite shouts, they will work against each other. Not sure what the argument is. Simple.

You weren't "defending your choices", you were claiming that my points were wrong because, basically, each thing was working fine - except it isn't, which is why you posted...

1) But all 8 bars are full for both tactics, or are you mean even if they're all full they're still not as familiar as just training for 1 tactic to full? Ie a graphics/display problem?

2) Agreed, TM appears to work better with the high aggression tactic better, will try to make him roam or something. Also agreed on defense duty, though the TC automatically makes my DLP into defensive duty once I start the game, so I haven't bothered changing him manually.

3) My understanding is attacking mentality automatically pushes your defense higher than normal, or higher than standard or counter etc.

4) Perhaps its my understanding of the ME, but to me I'm just increasing the odds of my players playing a through ball or running with the ball, and therefore reducing the chance of doing something else. My team has highest average decision in the league (14-15?) so I'm hoping they can choose the better option.

I claimed your comments were invalid in my second post, because in my opinion what you posted previously was general and vague. eg you're telling me my team isn't fluid in strategies when the bars were full. I would consider this post 'more polite'.

Cheers

1 - I was remarking on priority of training, get the first sorted, then add 2nd and 3rd tactics for fluidity.

2 - A roaming, more involved TM is bascially a DLF, F9 or CF depending on level of technicality and physicality required. A CF(S) for a physically impressive attacker, with good movement and technique may be much more beneficial. What do you mean about making it a defend duty automatically when the game starts... The game automatically deals duties in the TC before you alter them. Only automatic duties are changed in-game, and strategy-dependent.

3 - You may have a high line, but your defensive midfielders start deeper, meaning they come out and expose their defensive positions, but are not in the best position to press as they start too far away. So they create room for your opponents before actually affecting their space. More mobile & aggressive players will reduce this effect though.

4 - Asking your players to run at the defence reduces their through balls, all you are doing is asking them to run instead of playing through balls, then asking them to play them anyway. You would be better off choosing each as the situation demands. Run at defence is useful for breaking down a well organised, deep defence. Pass into space can expose high lines very well. It is usually an either/or type situation. If their decision making is good, you could remove both and let them play according to their role and decision making.

Why is it shocking you draw a weaker team or lose? Your team starts winning a bunch your reputation grows. As it grows your players start becoming more complacent and will not be as passionate in game. Maybe their consistency attribute is low and they preform lower that way as well and your striker went 2 games without a goal and is on a cold streak even though you won 2 games. You say the wrong thing in a match and suddenly morale is utter ****.

Then your opponents are playing harder because your reputation is harder and it also triggers their 'big match' attribute giving them a boost. One big save or a lucky strike and suddenly you are on the backfoot.

Sound unreasonable? It shouldn't because it happens all the time...look at Barcelona or Man City recent matches.

1 - I was remarking on priority of training, get the first sorted, then add 2nd and 3rd tactics for fluidity.

2 - A roaming, more involved TM is bascially a DLF, F9 or CF depending on level of technicality and physicality required. A CF(S) for a physically impressive attacker, with good movement and technique may be much more beneficial. What do you mean about making it a defend duty automatically when the game starts... The game automatically deals duties in the TC before you alter them. Only automatic duties are changed in-game, and strategy-dependent.

3 - You may have a high line, but your defensive midfielders start deeper, meaning they come out and expose their defensive positions, but are not in the best position to press as they start too far away. So they create room for your opponents before actually affecting their space. More mobile & aggressive players will reduce this effect though.

4 - Asking your players to run at the defence reduces their through balls, all you are doing is asking them to run instead of playing through balls, then asking them to play them anyway. You would be better off choosing each as the situation demands. Run at defence is useful for breaking down a well organised, deep defence. Pass into space can expose high lines very well. It is usually an either/or type situation. If their decision making is good, you could remove both and let them play according to their role and decision making.

I agreed with your 3&4 points but not the others. As etectra said, his tactic familiarity is fully fluid. Hence, no matter how the priority in training, at his most recent match, there should not be a problem about the tactic familiarity. Even his trained tactics are extremely opposite. Lets put it this way, I agreed with your priority in training, but it is not relevant to his problem in any sense. Since it has been trained to max. fluidity already.

As for the target man roles. Maybe you should try it in game instead of purely copying the instructions. I sometimes use a lone forward as "Target man"(A) when I feel needed and he does have good supply. A physically impressive forward with considerably average technique wont do you any good as CF(S). Target man will actually try to bring other players in game, mainly using his physical strength. My Target Man (Cerri) will only 13 OtB, still doing a great job to hold the ball at front and pass to my IFs whilst doing his striker job. When compare to my other tactics(Exactly the same teactic with a CF(A/S) instead of Target Man(A), he actually involves a lot more in play-making than my other strikers with CF(A/S) role.

Archived