Staying in financial control?

Ok folks how easy do you find it too stay in Financial control of your team?

I am FC Porto, who are obviously one of the biggest teams in the world yet each year I find myself selling players just so I stay in the black. (Last year made 48M through transfers)

I have gained 90% Board confidence in controlling the wage budget. I have a remaining transfer budget of 17.5M and a wage budget of 166K p/w and last year had made 18.8M on prize money alone yet still ended this season 3.8M in the red?

My projection has me at -37.75M in 3 years time? (If I don't sell my wonder striker Jackson Martinez that is)

I am finding it fairly easy. But, as I am now an solid mid-table/top-half PL team, I probably earn around £10m-£12m per season for that high a finish.

I also benefit from extreme profits from sales of my promising youngsters (from the youth intake). I sold a CB valued at around £10m for £30m to AC Milan. I sold a very promising RW who was valued at around £5m-£7m for £29.5m to Arsenal. It seems the big clubs will pay a lot if they know a youngster could become world class.

Maybe ask the board to move to bigger stadium, not sure what Porto Stadium capacity is. Last I checked it was around 50,000. This way more income from ticket sales. Stay in Champions league football for TV rights. Try to lower wage budget more. All I can think of.

The trick is not to ditch all the "solid" youngsters who come into your youth setup. Get them signed up, develop them into good prospects and then sell them on. That should mitigate a percentage of the need to sell your top players.

Equally, if you have developed a good production line and scouting network, you should be able to sacrifice a player or two at their peak every season or two for megabucks and replace them with a rapidly developing regen.

Archived