FM14: ACF Fiorentina - Forza Viola

Seule

Yeah I think Gomez is an oddity, I got him to finish top goalscorer my first season but I think that was more luck than anything, and I've managed to offload him before the start of season 3. He's really not what I would consider a "flexible" player, he finishes chances, that's it. If your tactic gives him a good number of opportunities, with a bit of luck his finishing stats are really good and he'll score, but outside of that, he doesn't give you much. The other strikers listed in this thread, the likes of Rossi, Rebic, even guys like Cerri and Paloschi can at least carve out a few opportunities for themselves, Gomez can't, I mean, his dribbling and passing are less than 10.

From a team point of view, I don't like paying that big of a wage for a player like that, hence why I took the first chance to get rid of him that came along, even though he was scoring a boatload of goals for me. I just think other players will score the same amount of goals, for a lot less money haha.

I would like to agree with you about Gomez, but I can't. Yeah, he's not flexible insofar as he's never going to win awards for his passing etc, but he's scored over 100 league goals for me in 3 seasons. I've had strikers that purely based on stats should be better players and are more creative, yet have ultimately failed to win games or even score on a consistent basis. The only striker I've have better luck with is Negredo if I've ever managed to sign him from Man City.

In all my Fiorentina saves Rossi has been consistently poor and very injury prone.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's currently a Tactical experiment going on over in the Tactics sub-forum where a load of us are using Fiorentina and using default formations (just the shape, shouts etc are our own call). I was given 460 and it's working phenomenally so far. Fiorentina is a fun team to manage. Won my first 9 games of the League conceding only 1 or 2 goals (I forget) and undefeated in our first 12 (won 13, lost 1) having lost in the Europa League to Spartak Moscow. Poor defeat but I rested our first XI because we had two big games coming up against Milan and Juve.

I've signed Kofi Agyei back because he's HG and young/promising. Brought in Timo Horn from Koln but loaned him back to them for a season...would be a great shout in the future, although Neto has been great so I'm not sure where I'm headed atm. Juanfran came in from Atletico but can't get a game because Tomovic is fantastic and then I brought in Lucas Ocampos on loan from Monaco.

Team is playing great and they're a lot of fun to manage. I'll continue to update the thread as/when appropriate.

8BF252FF08CBF3FC7DB599213F70C9FD726A558E

D0B3B6C42288651984E787504FEDD11E379094EF

I won the game v Milan 0-1. I've yet to play anymore games since then :)

• 1 month later...

Ive always been put off managing in Italy because of all of the co ownership rules, poor finances etc but I decided to start a game with Fiorentina last night. I didnt want one of the heavy hitters in the league, Juventus, Napoli etc but I wanted a team with a decent history and bizarely enough I like managing teams where I would like to visit :) As Florence is one of the most beutiful cities in Europe I took the plunge and went for Fiorentina.

Anyway I only played a few games and my pre season was promising, winning 5 and drawing 1 including a decent 1-3 away win at St Etienne. The only signing I have made is Luciano Vietto from Racing in Argentina and he proved to be a hero in my first competitive game. Drawing 0-0 at home to an Austrian side in the Europa League playoff 1st leg he came on off the bench to score the winner in the 78th minute. Considering the team I was playing it was still a poor result and I was expecting a more comfortable scoreline heading into the 2nd leg. I neednt have worried though as after a goal less first half in the 2nd leg, Mario Gomes stepped up to the plate and smashed in a 2nd half hat trick to take me through to the Europa League group stages.

In the league though I have begun with 2 defeats, 1-0 away at Roma despite dominating possession and the shot count, shots on target were very poor though. My 2nd league game was at home to Milan and after Ambrosini gave away a penalty and was sent off in 1st half stoppage time Milan didnt look back and secured a comfortable 2-0 win. Next game is Torino away after the international break and it will be a tough game, they are currently 4th after 2 games.

Tactics wise im playing the popular 4-2-3-1 with Gomes up front, Rossi playing in the AMC position and rotating with Vietto.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started a Fiorentina career. They seem like a really nice team to grow and build to compete at the top without being one of the major hitters like Juve, Milan, Inter, Napoli, Roma etc...

I've had a fantastic pre season so far, am seeing much success with a 5-3-2 formation, with Rossi and Gomez scoring for fun and my defence being rock solid. But I have Juventus and AC Milan away as my first two league games of the season :(

Fiorentina have a good team no doubt, but I really want to add an extra centre back and a decent defensive mid to the team, any ideas?

Daniel Amartey from Djurgarden in Sweden, he's only 18 but he looks like he could be a good signing. I have actually just signed him in my Villarreal save for £1.8m, he can play centre back or defensive mid.

Archived