The "play through defence" shout seems to be effective to encourage decent passes

I used to employ "retain possession" & "work ball into box" since FM2012 and have never used or even noticed the "play through defence" option. Having complained and seeing others complaining the ME of FM2013 more than enough, I just "discovered" this shout in one match. I found it fairly effective to encourage decent passes, although not the kind of "through passes" which can put forwards into one-on-one situation, these passes can build up good team play and sometimes turn into assists. The more radical and risky way is to use it and "pass into space" at the same time, you can see your players run and pass into spaces much more, but that can turn into more mistakes and may be punished by the opponent's counter attack so should be used only when your team need one goal very bad or have controlled the game but find it hard to break through.

I have not tested it in many matches so far so it's only a conjecture, need more people to have a try and discuss :)

I'm yet to try this, so thanks for the heads up!

At the moment I am trying to encourage the creator in my midfield three to try always through balls, but he's yet to successfully complete that PPM.

I'd be interested to know how others have had success in playing more through balls, because my inside forwards are often in good positions to receive a ball through the full back/centre back gap, but rarely do the passes come.

From what i have noticed it is the more creative shout. You have 'Retain Possession' and 'Work Ball Into Box' which are about slow, paient build up, using the ball well where is 'Play Through Defense' seems to be about creating more chances and taking more risks at the same time

From what i have noticed it is the more creative shout. You have 'Retain Possession' and 'Work Ball Into Box' which are about slow, paient build up, using the ball well where is 'Play Through Defense' seems to be about creating more chances and taking more risks at the same time

How do you work that out when all it does is alter runs with the ball setting?

Play Through Defence – Tells the players to run with the ball rarely. This only works for attacking midfielders (AML/AMR too) and strikers. The rest of the players will still be as you’ve instructed them to play; this includes MC’s who have an attacking duty. This can be a great shout to use if you feel the opposition are defending well and winning the ball too much from your attacking players. So use this when you are struggling to break down the oppositions defence.

There is a lot of people who still don't understand what the shouts actually do judging by comments made in this forum. You might be wise to take a few minutes out and read what the shouts actually change. It can be found in this thread, it explains them all;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

How do you work that out when all it does is alter runs with the ball setting?

Play Through Defence – Tells the players to run with the ball rarely. This only works for attacking midfielders (AML/AMR too) and strikers. The rest of the players will still be as you’ve instructed them to play; this includes MC’s who have an attacking duty. This can be a great shout to use if you feel the opposition are defending well and winning the ball too much from your attacking players. So use this when you are struggling to break down the oppositions defence.

There is a lot of people who still don't understand what the shouts actually do judging by comments made in this forum. You might be wise to take a few minutes out and read what the shouts actually change. It can be found in this thread, it explains them all;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

Like alot of things in the tactics screen why haven't SI put in depth explanations in the actual game? same with player attributes and other things, I don't mind searching the net for what things do but it's not exactly the best user experience you can have when trying to figure things out.

edit: Oh and thanks for that thread btw, very nice post.

Archived