Feel like I'm cheating?

I've not been playing FM as long as most people on here, so I still don't have a proved tactic of my own. But I've tried so many different tactics etc and at the moment I'm with Barcelona, and made a tactic that would (in real life) suit them absolutely perfectly. But when using it, we win, but only barely, I mean beating bottom of the League 3-2 or something.. So I downloaded a tactic and it seems to work perfectly, I'm hammering people every match now. But I feel as if I'm cheating, sort of like it wasn;t my own work that is making me successful? Should I keep working on my own tactics even though I can't even complete a season without getting sacked, or continue with the downloaded tactic?

All suggestions are welcome!!

In the earlier FM versions, I used to download tactics and see what settings they used to try to understand the ME. The problem was, I found a lot - not all - of tactics would exploit weaknesses in the ME. With the Tactic Creator, there was no need as it acts as a User Interface which translates your ideas into slider values.

There's a lot of good information in the Tactics forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/325677-Forum-Rules-FAQ-s-and-Important-Links-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

The above link gives loads of different links to good tactical discussion threads. I always found SFraser's guides really interesting and useful, and there's a thread dedicated to his tactical discussions.

I've recently went back to FM12, and continue to use a couple of tactics I downloaded from here.

I am having great fun, and lots of success. I'm tactically inept, so using tactics that "work" has allowed me to enjoy the game for many seasons (currently September 2017 in-game), I'm a club icon and very well respected in the game world.

None of this could've happened Without the help of the tactical geniuses on these forums.

There's nothing wrong with it at all as far as I'm concerned. I love FM because of it.

It's not a question of cheating. Managers occasionally copy other manager's tactical systems -- it's not as if they can be kept secret. So, it really depends on what you want from the game. If your goal is instant success, then by all means use other players' systems. But my philosophy is that FM is a journey, not a destination. Thus, as a tactical ignoramus playing lower league, I've never used other players' tactics. I've always developed my own and I've done the expected flailing around wildly at times. But there's a great satisfaction in building a tactic that actually works and understanding why.

Archived