1920x1080 best skin ?

Casual

When you drop your resoloution below your monitors default resolution you should have an option somewhere in the drivers for your graphics card (or your monitor) to scale the display up so it fills the full screen, which will result everything being bigger for you.

If you pick a 16:9 resolution then it should scale fine.

I'm sorry I'm not sure I get you...which resolution should I change the FM one or my desktop res, or both? Which smaller res should I try in FM instead of 1920x1080? Could you please shortly elaborate, if possible step by step what should I do to make this right. Thank you ;)

If you are happy to play in windowed mode then simply changing your windows resolution and maximising the window will work. Your best option is to try another 16:9 resolution as at least your aspect ratio will stay the same. If you want to play full screen then select your resolution within FM.

Either way, if you see black lines around your screen then as my colleague mentioned you'll need to alter the scaling within your graphics card settings (eg AMD cards use Catalyst control panel). I'm not sure exactly where the setting is, but I'm sure google will help you out eg http://www.ryukent.co.uk/2011/01/black-border-problem-using-hmdi-overscan-underscan-with-amd-card

All that said, unless you are using native resolution your text will not be as sharp as you aren't using 1:1 pixel mapping so its a case of seeing if its acceptable to you. It's perfectly possible to create a skin specifically for 1080p screens but from SI's perspective it would take a great deal of effort to cater for a fairly small minority of users - ie those that play full screen at high res. It would need to be a dedicated skin. Their current scaling system matches that used by windows, allows for 1:1 mapping and for a single skin to be playable on pretty much any resolution. In my opinion it's the best solution by far.

Alright, I've just tried other 16:9 (1360x768, 1600x900) resolutions, stretched the screen in Nvidia settings, and as you have said the text is not sharp. Actually it's so blurry that I don't even consider this an option.

This is a nightmare. You're telling me that if I have a 24" screen, I just can't play the game normally because somehow I'm classed by SI as I minority in the gaming world, and it's either 1920x1080 with microscopic text, or a lower resolution with extremely blurry text? It's seems that the real solution, a giant elephant in the room, is get a smaller monitor? If that's true, than I really don't know what to say anymore...

Why can't I play the game in a lower resolution without all the blurriness? The weirdest thing is I had no problem with FM 12, and FM 13 on the same monitor, with small resolutions, but when I bought a new computer all these problems arrived...

Alright, I've just tried other 16:9 (1360x768, 1600x900) resolutions, stretched the screen in Nvidia settings, and as you have said the text is not sharp. Actually it's so blurry that I don't even consider this an option. This is a nightmare. You're telling me that if I have a 24" screen, I just can't play the game normally because somehow I'm classed by SI as I minority in the gaming world, and it's either 1920x1080 with microscopic text, or a lower resolution with extremely blurry text? It's seems that the real solution, a giant elephant in the room, is get a smaller monitor? If that's true, than I really don't know what to say anymore... Why can't I play the game in a lower resolution without all the blurriness? The weirdest thing is I had no problem with FM 12, and FM 13 on the same monitor, with small resolutions, but when I bought a new computer all these problems arrived...
You'll get blur because it's not 1:1 pixel mapping. At lower res like 1600x900 each pixel is more than 1 physical pixels on the monitor. You can't light a physical pixel more than one colour so the graphics drivers use algorithms to approximate the image.

What intreagues me most is that you mention the FM13 used to look fine on your current monitor at lower resolution and that the change in PC has caused your problems. That suggests some issue in the way your new graphics card scales low resolution images to full screen.

The problem you both have is not with the fact that you are running at 1920*1080 it is that you are running at that resolution on tiny screens, as I said above you can lower your resolution and then enable scaling in your graphic card drivers.

I am sorry but I have to disagree that my screen is tiny for high resolution. Check my post#38 on this topic. The spaces that I circuled out has nothing to do with my screen size. If the spaces could be decreased and the font size could be increased with respect to the spaces could be fulfilled; my screen size wouldn't be an issue. I can try to enlarge the fonts, but than the fonts wouldn't fit into space given for them. Even with firefox I can enlarge the fonts by pressing ctrl and +. I can't do this in the game because the game can't fill the spaces and there is an assigned space for fonts.

My Tv is 41'' and full HD, I will try it on my Tv and post the picture here. Since the spaces won't be decreased the fonts will look same IMO. I will post the picture once I get my laptop from repair.

I am playing with 1360x768 with blury fonts. It not ideal for sure, but saves me from headaches.

What intreagues me most is that you mention the FM13 used to look fine on your current monitor at lower resolution and that the change in PC has caused your problems. That suggests some issue in the way your new graphics card scales low resolution images to full screen.

I had an ATI Radeon graphics card (3800 series I think), now I have Nvidia GeForce 660ti. I don't have any problems with any other games, drivers are up to date, net framework installed...

As I've mentioned before, the only time I got the game to have a clean and not stretched picture at a lower resolution was when my PC recognized the monitor as generic (because of faulty vga cable) and not as Benq.

Recently I've even tried uninstalling monitor drivers to try to get my computer to do that thing again and see the monitor as generic, but nothing changed... I've looked up on google if there is an option somewhere to make the monitor unrecognizable (generic) but all I found was bunch of people not wanting to have that :D That's when I realized how despereate I actually am to play the game properly, so if you know any other possibility how to sort this out, please share it with me or this year's FM experience for me will just be awful...:(

edit: I forgot to mention that I connected my computer with my TV (don't know inch size at the moment, but it's pretty big:) and I found the right resolution with good size font, without blurriness or stretched letters. The thing is, I had much more resolutions to choose from than on my PC monitor. If I could somehow get FM to show me all the resolutions possible, not only the ones that the game decides are right for my monitor...then I could probably find the one that would be ok.

Seems odd that you get less options on the monitor than the tv when they are presumably both 1080p. It could be that the monitor doesn't handle scaling well and only supports certain resolutions. TVs may be more accomodating as their engines tend to be more advanced. Really don't know what else to suggest sadly.

I play with a 24' monitor and my natural res is 1920x1080 and I find the game to be perfectly playable with or without my glasses on. The skin I use is FM 2013 CARBON and it looks great on mine

That's your opinion, but many people would not agree with you. If FM 2014 skin is not optimized for 1920x1080, I'm most definetely not buying the game. To have the best PC on the market with a regular wide screen monitor and have to play the game with blurry letters at a lower resolution is just too humiliating...

That's your opinion, but many people would not agree with you. If FM 2014 skin is not optimized for 1920x1080, I'm most definetely not buying the game. To have the best PC on the market with a regular wide screen monitor and have to play the game with blurry letters at a lower resolution is just too humiliating...

You are right. I mod my game every year to get bigger fonts. The text is way to small on 24".

It's even worse for me, my native res is 2048x1152 so the screen is literally swimming in empty space, I've increased the font sizes which does help to a certain extent, but some fonts are still too small to be read at a glance and I can't find a way to target those pieces of text individually, for example the news items:

NViuzTf.jpg

I really have to squint to read that on my screen, but each row has so much empty space that could be used up if the text scaled correctly like in a web browser

Archived