Advice for stopping bad form

Hi all,

I've been playing this game for the last month or so, and keep having the same problem. I've had three careers so far. The first (Birmingham City) I used to mess about with the new version, learn some tactics and generally mess up until I had worked things out. This forum was hugely helpful in getting me to understand how to set my team out. The second (Birmingham City again) I started fairly poorly, but put together a pretty good run of form and climbed into the edge of the playoff spots. However, about two thirds-three quarters of the season in, I suddenly had a catastrophic drop in form - losing 9 on the bounce. I switched to my second tactic - nothing. I tried bringing in reserve players - nothing. It felt like no matter what I did, I lost.

Anyway, I've now started my third game (Solihull Moors in the Conference North). I've made some pretty decent free and loan signings, have a nice 4-1-2-3 setup (FB-BPD-LD-FB DM CM-BWM IF-IF DLF) with a 4-4-2 back up tactic. About 10-15 games in I started to show some decent form and about 20 games in I really started to motor - winning about 8 or 9 times in 12 games and going unbeaten in 11. I have deliberately rotated as an and when to keep my part time players fresh, and that seemed to help my form, too.

Anyway, with about 10 or 11 games to go, my form suddenly crashed (again). I proceeded to lose all but 2 of my final games. I stuck with my tactic for the first 3 or 4 losses in a row - then switched, to no avail. Tried something else, to no avail. Went back to my original 4-1-2-3 for the final 3 games - and lost them.

Does anybody have any advice as to why I might be suddenly experiencing such catastrophic runs? I wouldn't mind dipping a bit - but these are the sorts of runs that destroy an entire season's work.

I should add I play in 'classic' mode!

Cheers!

From my experience from FM 2013 and previous versions of the game my advice is:

- Improve morale with staff meetings after a poor run of form/results (2 or 3 losses or 3 games without a win);

- Never be to harsh on your players in the after match team talks away from home unless they play really bad. Sometimes they need to feel some confidence from you.

- Individual talks to players that perform below 6.0 or with a poor run of form (3 to 4 matches);

- General training high in team cohesion or match training high in teamwork (just until the team get back on track);

- You don´t give any feedback both on your strategy and philosophy but i suggest a more conservative approach specially in away games. Consider altering your philosophy to a more rigid or balanced approach in order to hold team shape. In terms of strategy i suggest counter attack away and standard/control at home.

Sure, thanks for the reply.

My philosophy is very much a short, passing game, focussed on working the ball into the box and generally controlling possession in midfield. My strategy is usually Control, sometimes with Standard (away from home) and very occasionally Counter Attack. Typically balanced or rigid - never fluid or very fluid.

In Classic you don't have teamtalks or team meetings.

Cheers for the advice on the training element and making the team more rigid. I'll give that a go and feedback. It's bloody frustrating atm.

Sure, thanks for the reply.

My philosophy is very much a short, passing game, focussed on working the ball into the box and generally controlling possession in midfield. My strategy is usually Control, sometimes with Standard (away from home) and very occasionally Counter Attack. Typically balanced or rigid - never fluid or very fluid.

In Classic you don't have teamtalks or team meetings.

Cheers for the advice on the training element and making the team more rigid. I'll give that a go and feedback. It's bloody frustrating atm.

Given your original post, I can assume you are about halfway into the season or thereabouts? Pay attention to the weather and pitch conditions. This little bit eluded me for a while and turned out to the be the culprit in some bad performances where I was trying to play a controlled, passing game. Your short passes are just not going to work very consistently in the rain, sleet, etc.

Usually about February time - again, this wasn't something I considered, so will look in future.

pcmac - I had a save from just after the poor run started. I switched to a rigid, counter attacking game and focussed on teamwork in my match prep/training. I won 3-1 away from home! I then lost narrowly to second in the league away from home. However, I then had a home game and got ahead of myself - switching back to a more slightly more balanced, controlling game and got beat 2-0.

Cheers for the advice. As always in FM it's a constant job of tinkering, making mistakes and learning.

Bad form, after good, can be as much morale as anything. When my team is slumping, I try to grind out some draws but I also get very personal about morale. Before every match, I try to make a personal interaction with each player that improves their morale even up one level. Sometimes praise a decent performance, sometimes criticize. Its worth the time. Morale can be a killer when things are going poorly.

You might experience the so-called "wobbly knee" syndome (iirc), which kicks in the last 10 league matches of the season. When the season comes to a close and you're fighting for important stuff, your players may suddenly lose their cool and experience a drop in confidence.

I almost never get a losing streak. What I do is this:

The longer a winning streak goes on, the harsher and more demanding my team talks become. Once the loss comes, depending on how it came about, I either demand even more of them the next match or ease off the pressure at once. If an unlucky loss I demand a win next; if a poor performance and chaotic body language throughout the match I encourage them calmly next match - but remember that the external pressure is the highest when facing poor opposition so it might not be a good idea to demand wins on top of that unless you fear overconfidence.

If your team is young, inexperienced and lacking in the Pressure and/or Determination attributes, you may risk both nervousness and overconfidence at the same time. Such a player will underperform no matter what you say and what the result is, and the only thing you can do about it is to either get rid of him or not play him/sub him in important matches.

I've given FM13 a good chance with a number of games and I really hate to say this as it's my favourite computer game franchise, but the fact it's seemingly impossible to regain any form after losing a couple of games (amongst quite a few other issues) makes this the worst FM I've every played. I've spent hours tweaking or completely changing tactics, varying team talks, changing training, holding team meetings, talking to players individually and doing anything else that may improve form but nothing seems to make any difference. The frustration of this, along with the fact players don't seem to do what's asked of them and the stupid number of own goals, is why I won't be playing FM13 again. I really wish I wasn't writing this but the game just isn't fun or responsive.

I've given FM13 a good chance with a number of games and I really hate to say this as it's my favourite computer game franchise, but the fact it's seemingly impossible to regain any form after losing a couple of games (amongst quite a few other issues) makes this the worst FM I've every played. I've spent hours tweaking or completely changing tactics, varying team talks, changing training, holding team meetings, talking to players individually and doing anything else that may improve form but nothing seems to make any difference. The frustration of this, along with the fact players don't seem to do what's asked of them and the stupid number of own goals, is why I won't be playing FM13 again. I really wish I wasn't writing this but the game just isn't fun or responsive.

1, Its not impossible at all

2, Results increase morale, grind a few out even if it means parking the bus and grinding out a boring 0-0

3, This is the best FM for years

4, How do you expect your team to show character when the manager is clearly is lacking in this department?

5, Read through some of the threads in here

Are you creating any chances? You might not have the required creative freedom or player attributes to create much offence from a short passing/possession tactic.

It's hard to overcome bad form. The temptation is to try drastically different things to break the monotony of losing, but that might make matters worse if you start playing a tactic that your team is unfamiliar with.

Soon as i go two games without winning i will call a team meeting and try & raise morale. Then the next game start with passionate i have faith in everyone & then on each player passionate i have faith to try and raise morale all around then at half time if im not winning by two go aggresive i expect better to increase motivation. Seems to work for me. Morale plays a key part i believe.

Archived