[FM13.1.3] Old School Given a Modern Twist

Hi all

A bit of history first. I don't "do" tactics. Never have. Never really understood them to be honest - I've always been a man to search for "Mr Hough" on the forums, press download, then revel in the glory.

Things have changed though haven't they? I've not had that much time to play FM13 since it's release but I have had a few games with Mr Hough's previous tactics and they went as well as ever...until the latest patch! I've been keeping my eye on the forums and threads on the new patch and how we are all now encouraged to use the Tactic Creator, use shouts etc and that plug n play tactics won't work because, well the ME is now beyond perfect.

Well, that's all very well and good but as a 20 year veteran of the CM/FM series I always take news that the ME is now perfect with a little, ever so small, pinch of salt!

So, this leads of on to the point of this post. I have read all the guides, so can't be accused of being lazy. I have attempted a number of different tactics, used various shouts, tweaked settings, roles - I have done everything with a varying amount of success, but most the time with failure. I thought, surely it can't be that hard - surely we don't need a different tactic, a different system, different shouts, you name it, for every-single-game? Sorry but life is too short!

So I came up with this.

I wanted to create a tactic using the TC but one which allowed me to play the way I wanted without having to change it. Whether this works or not, time will tell but I am happy with the results so far.

I'm playing as Newcastle, and have gone old school with the system. 4-1-2-1-2. I'm sure this was one of Mr Hough's original systems? Maybe?

Anyway, I wanted to play narrow but give the team lots of creativity - short passes, fast passes, attacking quickly.

There are no massively long justifications for this tactic. If someone who knows more about the ins and outs of FM13 tactics than me wants to give that a go then they are more than welcome!

Would love to hear comments, feedback, questions.

So here it is, I have used these forums for years, have checked and read them daily, have downloaded multiple tactics but here is my first one...

http://www.mediafire.com/?t5tfw2w884do8ds

I've played a few more matches since posting this, the results have stayed good but the performances, especially from the midfield 4 have dropped. Version 2 is below with a few role tweaks in midfield...

http://www.mediafire.com/?uw7148ho9jn454c

Some screens...

The Tactic

tactic.jpg

Results after a few games

results.jpg

Some screens of players, some taken after a few games, some after a few more. Cisse and Ba in particular are flourishing

cisse.jpg

kjaer.jpg

hba.jpg

taylor.jpg

ba.jpg

Hey m8 ill give this a try. Dont believe the rumours the ME is not perfect, SI is just trying to simplify things and dumb them down to just getting average results, results are easy to get with the TC + OI + Shouts but i find it to be a deeply annoying method. I feel more like a basketball couch calling for 10 timeouts than a football coach, besides what was i doing for that entire week if not preping them for this match :/ anyways ill start a new save im thinking maybe sundersland and post results after a season or 2

giving it a whirl at the moment and 1st impressions look good

game 1) won 3-0 away at leiscester 19 shot 10 ccc's 69% possession

game 2) won 3-0 away at aston villa 14 shots 4 ccc's 51% possession

game 3) won 2-0 at home to blackburn 15 shots 5ccc's 60% possession

game 4) hammered 3-1 by man city could have been 10-1!

Not bad with a newly promoted crewe side

I will keep testing and keep you updated, i'm just fearing like most tactics with the ME seem to drop off after a dozen games!

thanks for the comments all. I haven't had much time to give it any more games since I posted this afternoon but I am impressed with how I am playing with it. I don't for one second think it is a win all tactic but so far I am impressed - good results and even better performances. Whether that is down to the tactic, or as I suspect, the players - who I loosely based it around given their strengths - is anyone's guess.

Feel free to download and test though, I'm thick skinned so happy to take criticism too!

Not using shouts - and that is purely down to the fact that I like to just have a tactic and let it play. I may well be missing out on something here but as I don't understand the shouts completely, I thought it best just to leave them alone. I have read the guides, inc Mr Hough's, on them but they're not for me. I think the beauty of FM is there are a number of different ways to play it, some people enjoy the tactical and tinkering aspect, others, like me, prefer to spend time on building the squad, the transfers etc and just letting the games play.

I'm glad people are liking the tactic, it genuinely is about the only tactic I have ever created in the past 10 years! I have literally always installed FM and downloaded a tactic, often Mr Hough's!

Again though, I don't know if the success of this tactic is down to the players I have, luck, the teams I am playing or something else! I have read a lot of threads on this tactics forum and people clearly have a passion for this kind of thing, I don't, I think I might have just hit lucky. I see lots of people asking about if I do this, what will happen, how about if I tweak this...the tactics creators normally come back with an excellent response but I'll not be able to help with that - I know a lot about matching the right player to the right position and a bit about how I want them to play - but that is what I find most difficult, trying then to find the settings in tactics to make that happen.

Anyway, again, thanks for the comments - feel free to tweak away and if something good comes up, just post it. Chances are I will download it and use it as I am far more comfortable in the knowledge that someone who knows what they're doing as come up with a solution rather than thinking I have hit the jackpot!

added a second version of the tactic with some midfield role tweaks to the OP. I found that my 2 MCs and AMC weren't doing all that great. Defensively was good, all defenders were getting top marks, as were the front 2 but the midfield 4 were average.

I've stuck the AMC as an Advanced Playmaker so he should get involved a lot more. In the first game I played with these tweaks this happened...

stats.jpg

ratings.jpg

Much better performances especially from Cabaye in MC (also set piece taker) and Ben Arfa, the AMC.

I tried this tactic at the start of my game (Havant & W in the Blue Square South) and it was amazing. Going unbeaten in the first 8 games and scoring plenty of goals.

Since then though we have not been playing well, lost 6 out of 7, and the goals have dried up, so not sure what has happened.

Going to switch to another tactic for now but might come back to this if I need to mix it up again

Archived