Player Role Calculator for Windows & Mac

What is It?

A small desktop application that allows you to enter a player's stats and be told which 5 roles he would best suit. The app runs on both Windows & Mac OS X.

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/3j0z1k1J0d1l191p2W0V/Untitled-1.png

Supported Operating Systems

Mac: OS X Lion (confirmed), OS X Snow Lion (awaiting confirmation), OS X Lion (awaiting confirmation)

Windows: Windows 7 (confirmed), Windows Vista (awaiting confirmation), Windows XP (awaiting confirmation)

I expect the app to work fine in all the above OS's but if any of you do download it on any that are awaiting confirmation, please report back and confirm if it does work.

Current Version

Changelog

Version 0.1.1 (released 6th Jan 00:45)
- bug that showed "undefined" for DM position fixed
Version 0.1
- initial version released for both Mac & Windows

Download Links

DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS

DOWNLOAD FOR MAC

Known Bugs

- right now, none! :p

Future Features to be Added

Feel free to request a feature by posting it in this thread.

- save player data locally so you can reload players you've already looked at to save re-entering stats

- allow user to view rating for player in any position (don't just show the top 5)

- dropdown to pick a role, and then highlight all the key attributes for that role

Hopefully this comes in useful for someone, made it today for my own benefit and had some nice feedback :)

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't dl'd yet, as I'm at work, but is there any weighting applied to key attributes, or is each one treated equally? For example, a playmaker would need amongst other things, creativity and composure, but having low creativity would render the playmaker role seriously hindered, whilst a low composure wouldn't necessarily so. Does your app give creativity a higher priority in this instance?

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't dl'd yet, as I'm at work, but is there any weighting applied to key attributes, or is each one treated equally? For example, a playmaker would need amongst other things, creativity and composure, but having low creativity would render the playmaker role seriously hindered, whilst a low composure wouldn't necessarily so. Does your app give creativity a higher priority in this instance?

The app works currently by only considering the key attributes for each role and averaging them, so you could say attributes are weight, but in reality it just compares the key attributes for each role, figures out the top ones and returns them.

The app works currently by only considering the key attributes for each role and averaging them, so you could say attributes are weight, but in reality it just compares the key attributes for each role, figures out the top ones and returns them.

You've answered the question but I think you misunderstood it.

What silten was getting at was that a playmaker has both Creativity and Composure as key attributes, which you would weight as 1 each although arguably you should weight Creativity as 2 or 1.5 vs. the 1 for Composure.

You've answered the question but I think you misunderstood it.

What silten was getting at was that a playmaker has both Creativity and Composure as key attributes, which you would weight as 1 each although arguably you should weight Creativity as 2 or 1.5 vs. the 1 for Composure.

Ah I see, apologies.

Currently the app weights key attributes equally. I literally spent about 5-6 hours yesterday on it, and that's it. I plan to make the app much more polished and also consider weighting things differently, however what should be weighted more is always going to be a bit subjective I think.

Ah I see, apologies.

Currently the app weights key attributes equally. I literally spent about 5-6 hours yesterday on it, and that's it. I plan to make the app much more polished and also consider weighting things differently, however what should be weighted more is always going to be a bit subjective I think.

True, weighting attributes is both difficult and highly personal. You basically have two options:

1. Don't weigh the attributes, this has the advantage that everyone is clear on what the app does and that it's not perfect and doesn't pretend to be.

2. Weigh attributes to popular opinion, this can make the app more "accurate" and more useful but you don't know if the popular opinion is right and there might not be a clear consensus. It can also make people think that the app provides a clear "perfect" role for the player while this is not necessarily the case. It's also a lot more work because if you want to do as best of a job as you possible can you will have to weigh every attribute for every role and not just key attributes.

btw. In a players report it also mentions the players best role so you might want to pick the second option as I think in the report they go only by key attributes (without weighing them).

Good luck with the app and thanks for spending time to give something to the community! Much appreciated :)

Ah I see, apologies.

I think a work around would possibly be to add a feature whereby someone can add their own weights to the program (maybe read from an .csv file - I'm not a coder so I'm not 100% sure how to make it work)

So when I use the program I can click a button that says 'Edit Weights', and I can make up whatever weights I want - just have something that says 'Set Weights to default'.

As I said, not a coder, so not sure how much effort this would be for you, but I can suggest can't I ;)

All that said, will look at it at home and see if I enjoy it or not, but conceptually a nice addition so thanks :)

I think a work around would possibly be to add a feature whereby someone can add their own weights to the program (maybe read from an .csv file - I'm not a coder so I'm not 100% sure how to make it work)

So when I use the program I can click a button that says 'Edit Weights', and I can make up whatever weights I want - just have something that says 'Set Weights to default'.

As I said, not a coder, so not sure how much effort this would be for you, but I can suggest can't I ;)

All that said, will look at it at home and see if I enjoy it or not, but conceptually a nice addition so thanks :)

Well this is clearly the best option :), now I feel dumb for not thinking of this myself :p.

You could even add weightings from other players or maybe have players who make a tactic give some weightings for the positions they use to help people find players etc.

I haven't looked at the app yet but if it provides a score for the different positions that could be really helpful for people.

That's actually a really nice idea, I'll certainly try to build that in somehow.

Hi, not sure if i have done this right, but a i tried a target man, a winger & a centre back. They all say the same, ball winning midfielder, then a target man, anchor man, cental defender?. I'll try later with a small fast foreward.

Windows 7

The app looks good but if I was you, it would be best to implement a reset button so the previous results can be cleared.

Once entered stats for 1st player, you are given 5 positions. When entering 2nd player stats, these 5 positions are added to the 1st players resulting in 10 positions shown and each extra player 5 positions are added everytime.

EDIT: Oh I'm using XP and it works fine

Just a bug as noted above:

Each time you click "Calculate Best Position" you should get the program to automatically remove the existing positions that sit there (if you click it twice with the same player, you end up with the same five positions listed twice)

(Windows 7)

great work :) but one thing i'd say that would be very useful is the ability to remove certain roles from the top 5 calculations, based on whether or not the player can actually play that position.

For example, when I once tried an excel role calculator that gave values for every position, I noticed Gerrard has all the stats to be a great Deep-Lying Forward. This makes sense in a way, but given that playing him as one would require me to train him as a striker, it appearing in his top 5 roles doesn't help and removes another option (say, Deep-Lying Playmaker) that fits with a position he can currently play.

So maybe alongside filling out the numbers, you also have some checkboxes that we can tick for the positions players can play, and it excludes roles that aren't available? Sorry if that's too much work, just a thought I had.

Archived