American Calcio - Padova FM 2008 *repost*

tenthreeleader

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Board sucks out loud. I know it's just a game, but Rob's done so much for that club. Winning the double and they're bitching because he didn't get the treble?

Sods, the whole lot of them. Get the hell out of there and let the effers rot in their own expectational excrement (multiple expletives deleted).

At this point, I'd be having a firesale on their best players and/or renogiating contracts to the point of giving away the kitchen sink. You want debt? Take this you panderers. Lots of five year contracts for maximum salaries on crappy players can do wondrous things for the Board who'd remember the good ole days when you were in charge. Hell, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if your chairman headed up the Supporters with the contract out on your life.

Gentlemen, thanks for following along! Suffice to say Rob may be looking over his shoulder ...

___

“I’m telling you that there are board members displeased the club did not win on Wednesday,” Sestaro answered. “There are board members who are taking the defeat in the Super Cup very hard since we will be facing Pescara in Serie B next season and they did handle us with some ease.”

I couldn’t argue that point.

He locked eyes with me. “Rob, I believe I am able to sustain you in light of everything else that has happened this season and the success you have achieved. However, I can’t and shouldn’t hide from you the fact that there are influential people at the club who are unhappy.”

“Can’t please everyone,” I said sadly. “Wow. Thank you for letting me know.”

“I’m trying to make it easier for you and I hope you see that,” he said, as he ended the brief meeting. I rose to leave. “Right now all that matters to me is that this club succeeds in Serie B. We have board members who remember our time in Serie A and are not tolerant of results that don’t lead us back there in their eyes. However, I do think you are the best man to lead us to future success.”

I turned at the door and faced him again. “I need to know, Marcello,” I said. “Do the board members expect double promotion from this club?”

“Some are hopeful of it,” he admitted. “At this point, given the balance sheets I have shown you, heavy investiture in players is not possible and the only way to bring in new players would be from loans of players who could not stay with us in the event of a second promotion. My task, on your behalf, is to give you time to build. I am fully aware that most of the existing squad will not be what is required to contend for promotion next season.”

“Thank you,” I said. “I just wish we had a united board. I’m keenly disappointed to hear that we don’t.”

# # #

Friday, May 30

On the first day of a richly deserved holiday, Patty and I sat in beach chairs at our rented villa on the Adriatic coast. Last night I explained the situation, and told her of my growing unease with the board and its expectations for me. I hardly slept and she reminded me more than once that the purpose of a holiday was to forget about work.

Finally, she gave up that idea, knowing I needed to talk. “Surely you have the ambition to help Padova succeed,” she said, and I nodded.

“I do, but you know how it’s been,” I said. “I don’t want to be accused of not sticking with a job but it just seems dangerous at the moment. I can’t put my finger on it. I feel like I’m being set up to fail.”

“You managers are all paranoid,” she laughed, reaching over to take my hand.

“Look at it this way,” I said, holding her hand softly. “What would your father say?”

Suddenly she stopped smiling. “That’s a great point,” she mused, sipping at her Cosmopolitan before putting it down on a small table beside her chair.

“Thanks. I think.”

“Tell you what,” she said, turning onto her side to face me in her chair. Since she was wearing a stylish and rather skimpy pink bikini, I didn’t mind that in the slightest. “How about I shift your mind from all this worry?”

“I can’t wait for this.”

She leaned over and kissed me. “Let’s set a date, Rob. I’m ready and I don’t want to wait.”

# # #

Saturday, June 14

Patty and I will be married on the Fourth of July.

We came to that conclusion after some soul-searching on the beach. We want something simple, quiet, peaceful and above all, completed. She has been utterly tenacious in her simple desire to be my wife and there’s just no way I can deny her at this point. Like I would even try. We’re going to have a simple wedding in Patty’s home church in the States – just as she wants it to be.

The larger issue of her father’s reluctance remains, but I’m confident this can be overcome. Patty and I had a simply idyllic time away from home and I will return to the club offices refreshed and hopefully recharged. The emotionally charged atmosphere of two weeks ago had a little time to settle down – frankly, in my mind, it needed to – and even though there are no longer overt rumblings against my performance thanks to the passage of a couple of weeks, I still do wonder who it is that’s so upset.

Emiliani wrote a rather blistering column while I was gone about what Padova needs to do to improve and insinuated that the board was not pleased. So if he has a source inside the boardroom, that might well explain some of my current difficulties.

However, after the two weeks I’ve had, I could laugh off even his barbs. Tonight I watched the playoff final between Novara and Cremonese on television and I have to admit, I’m not terribly satisfied with how it all ended.

That isn’t because I preferred one team over the other. Novara finished second in the league and was a wonderful and worthy opponent. Cremonese, on the other hand, was probably the best team in the league over the last two months of the season, and I include ourselves in that observation.

The reason I didn’t like how it ended was because of the rules of the competition. I’ve mentioned previously that the tie-breaker system here is different than in other parts of Europe – well, so is the way they break some two-legged ties.

A week ago, the teams battled to a 1-1 draw at Cremonese’s Giovanni Zini and tonight Silvio Piola played host to another 1-1 draw. So the tie was knotted at 2-2 with each team having an away goal. Extra time was played without a goal and Novara then walked off the pitch promoted to Serie B.

When a playoff tie is deadlocked in this league, the higher seed goes through. It doesn’t go to penalties, and those of Cremonese’s players who hadn’t been briefed on this stood waiting for a penalty contest that never came. Or perhaps they were aware of it and simply chose to make a silent statement.

I looked at Patty while we watched Novara’s players celebrating their step up. “That is a hell of a way to lose promotion,” I said. “I’d want penalties, I think.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” she said. “That’s just miserable to watch.”

Yet, rules are rules and I can’t change them. I’m just glad my team did it the easy way.

# # #

Monday, June 16

Today was a significant day for me, a very nice day for Calcio Padova and a watershed day in world football.

First, I was named Serie C1A Manager of the Year today and since the vote came from media, I am more than a little bit shocked. The polling showed I received 34 of the 36 first place votes, with two journalists from each city voting. I think I know which city’s two reporters didn’t give me their votes.

Yet that hardly matters. The award is won, my first individual honor here at the club. I didn’t get a winner’s medal for the league or for the Serie C Cup, so it’s nice from the standpoint of my personal pride to have something to put in my trophy case. Novara’s Gian Cesare Discepoli, who finished second to me in the league, is also second in the voting for manager of the year. Emiliano Mondonico of Cremonese, who finished second to Discepoli in the playoff, also finished just behind him in the voting. So there’s a symmetry there, even if it’s a bit unfortunate for my rivals.

However, as happy as I am for myself, I’m even happier for Baú, who won the Player of the Year award to complete a very nice double for the club. He beat out Rubino, who was the league’s leading goalscorer. I voted for this award and since I couldn’t vote for my own player, I chose the Novara striker who caused me so much worry throughout the season. He’s an excellent player and I expect he will have no trouble making the transition to Serie B.

Baú, Vasco Faísca and Orlandoni also made the Team of the Year. The fact that two of them are loan players only underscores the work I have to do this close season in getting them either replaced or re-loaned. I would love to have Gotti back next season as well and Orlandoni might still be useful as a veteran presence.

My thoughts are already dominated by one central point: that was last year. The new season is where we’ll earn our spurs.

# # #

Now, to the major news. Sir Alex Ferguson has retired from Manchester United ater 21 seasons at the helm and a third-place finish in this year’s Premier League.

He won nine championships at United, one European Cup and of course the famous League/FA Cup/European Cup treble of 1999 that saw him receive his knighthood. Truly, he was one of the great managers of all time and a legend of the English and Scottish games.

Yet I can’t help but wonder about the circumstances of his departure. When he arrived at United in 1986, he famously said his first goal was to “knock Liverpool off its f**king perch.” He did that, but now as he leaves, Liverpool are the champions of England. I can’t see a man as determined and ambitious as Sir Alex leaving under those circumstances.

Yet, it has happened, and the media are speculating on two things: first, who will replace a legend and second, why he really left. The coming days will see a definite answer to the first question and much speculation on the second.

# # #

Wednesday, June 18

Steve Coppell must feel like he has won the lottery tonight.

Reading’s manager is the replacement for Sir Alex Ferguson, returning to Manchester United where he’s a club legend. His accomplishments at Reading have been very impressive – a Championship and English record for points three seasons ago and successive top-ten finishes in each of the club’s two seasons in the Premiership.

This season, my old club was eighth in the league and again barely missed a European place. They led the league for six weeks before falling off the pace and Coppell has gained a great deal of the credit for what has happened in Berkshire.

It just goes to show that sometimes media is wrong. They had pegged Michael Laudrup as the choice to succeed Sir Alex but speculation from inside the country had centered around United old boys. Roy Keane had always been hotly tipped as a potential successor but the captain of the famous 1999 Treble-winning side couldn’t keep it together at Sunderland. The damage to his reputation couldn’t sustain a move to one of the world’s biggest clubs.

Steve Bruce was another who was highly touted, but in the end, reports indicate that he wasn’t seriously considered to make the jump to Old Trafford. Now, Coppell is coming home and if anyone had ever seen him smile – about anything – I’m sure they would have said he was delighted.

I spent the morning in my office and watched the news conference announcing Coppell’s hiring before switching over to the Euro 2008 matches. Steve’s in the catbird seat, to be sure, and he’s got the same mission Sir Alex did – to knock Liverpool off its perch.

He’s fully cognizant of that fact, of course, and as the pressure cooker of the national and international media descended around him, I realized that as awful as Emiliani has been to me at times this season, it’s nerdball compared to what Steve is now experiencing.

# # #

It was funny that I should think this. Ten minutes after the news broke on television, Emiliani was in my office, with his note pad out and pen ready.

“Stefano, how did you get back here?” I asked.

“Never mind that,” he said. “I have read a report that suggests you will be approached within 24 hours for the vacant managerial post at Reading. We are talking, you and I, and this time it’s on the record.”

# # #

Ah, Kewell, it is indeed getting thick. Decisions, decisions!

__

Thursday, June 19

This is the biggest controversy of all.

When I was linked at Falkirk it wasn’t such a big deal since both Padova and Falkirk moved to quash the rumors. Now, Jill Weatherby of the Reading Evening Post has created a sensation here with a story in yesterday’s edition suggesting that my phone will soon ring.

When I last talked with her, she was interviewing me about life in Italy. Now, she was writing about me in an entirely different context:

Former Royals defender Rob Ridgway may soon be coming home.

With Steve Coppell’s departure for Manchester United, there is rampant speculation as to who will succeed him at the Madejski Stadium. Club officials believe they may have found the man they wish to approach – Ridgway, who turned 37 years old earlier this week.

Over the last six weeks of this season, Reading officials scouted Ridgway’s team, Serie C1A champion and cup winner Calcio Padova. They did this not with an eye to the players, but rather to the manager.

Reportedly, club representatives were scouting how Ridgway runs an operation, to learn how he manages a match, his tactical acumen and how he handles conflict.

“What we’ve read here is that his on-pitch work has been good and he has handled himself flawlessly in the face of terrible adversity,” said a club source speaking on condition of anonymity.

Indeed, at times Ridgway’s life has resembled a soap opera. His fiancée, fellow American Patricia Myers, was the victim of a bizarre conspiracy that resulted in her auto being run from the road in a serious, premeditated attack in February. The conspiracy eventually reached to the manager himself, who learned a first-hand and quite painful lesson about the Ultra culture in the process.

“He could have just folded,” the club source said. “He chose not to do that. He kept his players focused and kept putting them in positions where they could succeed. They did succeed, winning their league and cup double and narrowly missing a treble in domestic competitions. He has shown that he knows how to manage."

Speculation for the job presently centers around Ridgway, former Sunderland manager Roy Keane, former Aston Villa and Leeds boss David O’Leary and current assistant manager Kevin Dillon. Chairman John Madejski has promised quick action in hiring a new manager and the recent scouting trips suggest he has the man he wants in mind.

Madejski would not comment on the record for this story except to state that no Reading club source would speak on any issue that might subject the club to a tapping-up charge. He would neither confirm nor deny the club’s interest in approaching Ridgway.

So today, I had to speak to our media again. Emiliani had quite a story today, repeating what Jill Weatherby had said only without the diplomatic touch. That meant a busy day for me.

“No, my phone has not rung from Reading,” I said. “Instead, my phone is ringing white-hot from Italian media. I have heard nothing from Reading and I am still the manager of Calcio Padova.” I then walked straight into Sestaro’s office and told him exactly the same thing.

“Obviously, the board will want clarification as soon as possible,” he replied. “Though I will tell you this, Rob; if an English Premier League club wants your services, I won’t like it but I will allow an approach. We are building here and I personally want you to be a part of that process. However, we both must do what we must do.”

He looked at me evenly as he spoke. Last year, what he had to do was hire an unproven manager with the expectation that this unproven manager could move his club forward. I’m not sure what I have to do yet, but the chances are that I’ll know what to do very soon.

I have not slept a wink tonight. The thought of managing in the EPL – if the call ever comes – is thrilling to me. However, the thought of doing it in Reading – moving back near Kate, and as close I ever care to be to her husband – makes me a little nauseous. If the call comes, I don’t know how I’ll react.

I haven’t heard how McGuire’s questioning by Scotland Yard went, despite Kate’s e-mail, and I’m not sure how upset she is over the fact that it happened. I certainly don’t want to put the cart before the horse here, but there’s a lot to think about if anything happens in terms of an approach from my old club.

Good luck sleeping, Ridgway.

# # #

Friday, June 20

At 7:30 this morning, the phone beside my bed rang. The noise was welcome, since I hadn’t slept a wink.

“Hello, Rob,” I heard a voice saying. “This is John Madejski in Reading. I wonder if you’d talk with me for a moment?”

END

• 1 month later...

Right, I (finally) finished Calcio on my train journey home this evening and I must say that it is a story of the highest quality, all the more so considering that it covers just one season! Despite the slow pace, I found the actual story to be both riveting and detailed. The style of your writing is to be commended as it makes it both readable and interesting, while the match reports are uniquely done.

The backstory, the running feuds, and the off-the-field shenanigans are absolutely top class, there's conflict everywhere. Having managed your bitter rivals S.S.C Venezia for a while in the past I identify with the Serie C setting and you've captured it so very well.

I nominated this having only read half and now you've gone and made my vote for Story of the Year immensely difficult as I now have two favourites!

Congratulations on a terrific tale!

Now to start on Ratpack

• 2 weeks later...

Great read tenthree :thup:

I have a nice calcio save game going however I don't have the time to write much these days. You may have inspired me to put together a relatively 'short' story. We will see.

But this is about you anyway! Well done and I'm sure the sequel will be worth the effort. Well played!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing the thread to life after more then 1 year.

This story is a Masterpiece with capital M. :-)

It took me a while to read it from A to Z but I enjoy it very much!

Congratulations 10-3 for the amount of work invested in this project, you are a skillful writer and you have bags of patience. :-)

Actually there is a line in your story that inspired me to write a story in my native language on a local forum, after 10.3 patch will appear.

I can't wait to read Rat Pack after I finish another classic story I begun reading.

Archived