Laptop for FM

RKM

Hi

I going to buy a laptop for uni and the only game I play on my desktop PC is the FM series.

However I have never been able to watch/play a match in 3D. I have a basic knowledge of RAM & Hard Drive Space but the thing I really don't know about is what processor I'm suppose to be looking for that matches the specification for FM.

My budget is £500. Any suggestions will appreciated.

I don't know much about integrated graphics in newer machines all I know is I had trouble with them showing 3d on my old laptop, they showed but wasn't very smooth. If you are ok with an AMD cpu you can probably get one with dedicated graphics, looking at that website you were looking at they had a hp with a quad core AMD and 512MB dedicated AMD graphic card. Not sure if that is any better though considering my knowledge of integrated graphics. Don't know much about HP laptops in general but maybe someone else does.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6001sa-15-6-laptop-white-09797915-pdt.html

I don't like the way they give 4gb with 64bit Windows. I think that's underhanded and giving someone potential issues down the road. Anyone looking to buy a 64 bit version of Windows should go for a minimum of 6gb ram (memory).

Windows 32 Bit requires 1gb RAM. And Windows 64 Bit requires 2GB RAM.

It's fine for Windows 32Bit to have 4gb of RAM, as that's all that registers with the system.

With 64 BIT system, it can register a lot more. And if you want BETTER multitasking you need MORE RAM.

Leaving yourself with 2GB RAM to multi-task on a 64 BIT system and you'll be cursing the computer after a while saying it's a piece of junk.

So with a 64 Bit version of Windows do yourself a favour and get more than 4gb Ram.

That's why I recommended the computer with the 6gb Ram.

im currently using

Dell Inspiron 1545

Dual Core 2.2 ghz

3gb Ram

280gb HD

64 bit

which is prob around 300 quid for equivelent spec these days

running top divisions of france, spain, italy, portugal, germany, holland, russia, turkey, scotland and all divisions in england and its pretty smooth :)

45k players, large database

I don't like the way they give 4gb with 64bit Windows. I think that's underhanded and giving someone potential issues down the road. Anyone looking to buy a 64 bit version of Windows should go for a minimum of 6gb ram (memory

That depends on whether the MOBO supports dual or triple channel RAM, DDR2 is fine for current applications & offers solid performance at a reasonable cost.

Word of advice - never ever buy a laptop or desktop from PC World, Currys, Dixons or Comet. They tend to be vastly over priced and if you do happen to stumble upon something that looks reasonably priced, the chances are the components are dated and can also be purchased elsewhere for a lot less.

I will second this, PC world is fine for getting a tin of compressed air or a mouse mat if you can't borrow one from work but other than that I would look to buy direct from the manufacturer if your not in a position to spec a custom system.

If the motherboard does not support DDR3 RAM then 6bg is not an option as I'm yet to come across a 3bg RAM stick that can be paired to get the 6gb you're talking about, the next step would be 8gb.

Archived