Call a Pure Virtual Function

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defragmenting will make a small improvement to performance if your system is working well. It won't cure a problem with hardware or software conflicts. Also if the disc has been reset recently it won't have had chance to become too fragnmented anyway.

You have essentially ruled out software issues by doing the system reset. You need to start looking at hardware.

not been bale to get hold of any spare parts. I have to admit I am getting curious about my RAM. Dont know why...just a feeling.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it could be the skin and if I used a new skin it would fixz it because that is a visual fix. Just wondering. I would be grateful if some could post a link to a thread that isnt stupid.

I would say that you have something physically wrong with your computer.

Two important things to check: get hold of a memory tester (I use Memtest myself) and run that for as long as you can. If you get errors then your memory is goofed and it needs replacing.

Next test your CPU to see if there is a fault there: Hot CPU tester seems to be popular.

Run both of these programs for at least 4 hours each (NOT AT THE SAME TIME) and let us know how you get on.

Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:

What worries me is that if you ever get FM running you'll realize that its much less fun than you had trying to get it to run...

That's a bit subjective. I'm thoroughly enjoying my FM game.

Originally posted by Diego_Werderdona:

Have you tried degaussing your screen?

degauss your screen.

no because i have never heard of this, i will search it google and if i can find it give it a go and to "This field intentionally left blank" you know how ***s off I would be if that happened because trying to fix it is no fun. half the season is gone and i ahvent played it properly yet. knowing my luck I will get it work when fm09 comes out icon_frown.gif

there must be someone out of all the SI staff, someone who is a C++ developer or know about pure virtual function call, who can spare a few minutes and tell me how to fix this because I am getting very frustrated especially since CM08 work on my pc (I will amdit though it looks so basic compared to fm08 but still it works where this doesnt)

Try going to Windows Update and getting hold of the .net framework. That should update some of the Windows inbuilt libraries.

Also - it may be a daft question but are you using the original fm.exe or have you installed anything on top of the game?

Finally - I have to emphasise that this is a problem at Mike ManUtd's end. If there was a major coding error then we would all be suffering from it.

baring in mind i couldbt be arsed to read through the whole thread but im a computer scientist,

my limited understanding of the R6025 code error is that it is down to either :-

- a ram problem ( and your amount of ram is certainly a problem)

- if this is warez copy its a bad code

- you need to update all drivers from windows update... especially if your on a laptop

- do you happen to be running visual studio? there is a known compatability error with that program and many others

If anyone knows of any other programs with compatability errors

As you said earlier you had wiped the disc and there was nothing except windows and avg on there, then unless windows or avg has a compatibility problem it is not the issue here.

It is hardware related and unfortunately there is no way around it except changing or upgrading hardware. You can spend the next 6 months chasing possible software problems but the reinstall rules them all out.

At some point you are going to have to bite the bullet and look at hardware. Run the Ram test as suggested, if it passes then you ram is healthy, this means you need to consider adding ram to take the strain of the rest of the system. If adding ram does not cure it then the problem is your hard drive.

Does the hard drive light come on just before it crashes? This would be a clue that the hard drive is struggling to cope.

i think I could of ruled out it being a hardware problem. Especially a RAM problem. I just dont know. What I do know is that the same problem happened to my FM06 for the first time ever last night and the reocmmened RAM for FM06 is 256MB. What do you think?

Also I am waiting for the patch 8.0.2 to come out hoping it will fix my game......

That actually means it is more likely to be hardware. The problem would not be the amount of RAM (I only have 512 on my machine) but faulty RAM or a hard drive that is struggling to cope. Did you run the RAM test as someone else suggested?

Do you have a friend who has a pc with the same type of RAM, if so borrow it for an hour and plug it into your pc (replacing the RAM you have) run the game. If it crashes it is not the ram if it doesn't it is.

Mike, seriously, all apart from 1 post i've seen in this entire thread is a complete load of arse and advice given by people who have no clue what they are talking about.

Defragging won't do shat.

Re-installing latest gfx & sounds drivers won't do shat in this situation.

Re-installing Java won't do shat as FM uses the one in it's install directory and not the system one.

If it was a dodgy RAM issue then you'd notice a hell of a lot more issues, general system instability, file corruption(most notably when you'd be shutting down windows and the system dumps the registry updates to the disk causing it to freak out when you boot back up), hell if it was a dodgy RAM issue you'd have struggled to even get windows installed on it as again the writing of the files from RAM to disk would have corrupted them. But running MemTest86 was a good idea regardless on any system ever so-often.

If you do have less than 256mb of ram though, that could be pushing it, best to have 512 to be on the same side, especially if you have XP on it.

On with regards to increasing your VM settings, you should always set those two value's as EXACTLY the same for best performance. General advice for the size is [system ram] * 2.5, although if you have 1.5gigs+ in your system you don't really need more than a 2Gb swap file. So for example with 512mb of ram you could set min and max value's to 1280, but in reality you may as well just set them to 2048. One thing i will say to make sure you get the best performance from your VM settings is to initiall turn off VM, then resart yadda yadda, do a defrag(a few times if needed as what you are looking for is a huge chunk of contiguous free space) then set your VM settings and pray that it creates the swap file inside that big empty space. The last thing you want is a heavily fragmented swap file, it'll just reduce your machines performance to worse than it was.

Then only step you should have considered doing in this instance are:

Re-installing FM & the patch (make sure you uninstalled it 1st of course)

99% of the other suggestions in this were arse.

Possible step that although very highly unlikely to make a difference but worth a shot and a good idea in general:

Windows Update - install all the High Priority ones, don't install that IE7 junk, but that's just a personal preference.

Only in the absolute worse case scenario should you consider re-installing windows. This situation almost with a 99.9% certainty a bug/issue within the game/savegame. Although this is a windows system so a certain amount of voodoo/chaos is involved.

But wait for the patch, it hopefully will solve your problem but of course your save game could just have been corrupted somehow and so nothing but starting a new game will help, which this is a possible reason if you started the game before the 8.0.1 patch. What you should have done though was send the crash dump to SI when this error occured, and then they could have fixed the issue for the up-comming patch, now you just have to hope they are aware of this problem and have fixed it.

Originally posted by mikemanutd:

What I do know is that the same problem happened to my FM06 for the first time ever last night and the reocmmened RAM for FM06 is 256MB. What do you think?

Also I am waiting for the patch 8.0.2 to come out hoping it will fix my game......

8.0.2 very well may fix the problem, but I doubt it. The fact that you have a creeping error and you've mentioned elsewhere that you have some other problems that don't work still suggest a hardware defect to me.

Did you run the CPU tester?

Intrinsic. Re: RAM. Dodgy ram will not always surface immediately. Let's say that Mike has a failing RAM stick which is corrupting data stored on bad sectors - do you think the problem could not manifest itself this way?

Mucking about with virtual memory isn't likely to fix the problem. Checking HDD for errors might help - especially if FM has been stored on bad sectors.

Given your attitude in your post to people who have been trying to help Mike, why don't you tell us exactly what has caused this and how to fix it without asking an obviously inexperienced user to completely re-install Windows?

For bad sectors he should bring up a command prompt(start->run->cmd [press enter) and then do chkdsk [drive] /R. IE if FM is installed on D: then chkdsk D: /R

If it's on C: he'll be asked to reboot, if on Dicon_frown.gifor another drive) he may be asked to dismount the volume, this is pretty safe so press Y and let it do it's stuff.

"Let's say that Mike has a failing RAM stick which is corrupting data stored on bad sectors - do you think the problem could not manifest itself this way?"

If he has a failing RAM stick regardless of any bad sectors on his Disk(s) it's generally pretty noticable even if the system is under low-stress. The same with if healty data if written to a bad sector on the disk, i doubt if FM would even load it in, at best it should(in theory) throw up an error about the data being corrupted, at worse it'll just crash the game. But from what i understand this happens during the middle(i'd guess when after clicking continue or performing some action) of a game.

And i didn't say that'd he'd need to re-install, imo that'd be of absolutely no use but i listed it as 99.9% as you never know when that 0.1% may happen so covered my bases icon_smile.gif

To really stress his system and highlight cpu/ram issue's when under load he could run something like Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm It's a torture test pretty much and used to check system stability.

As for the error itself there is zero(ok, it is possible to fix it ourselves, but as has been said would break the EULA) chance all but a few users on this forum to have the knowledge to fix it. It's an error in the code, plain and simple.

"The error occurs when your application indirectly calls a pure virtual member function in a context where a call to the function is not valid. In most cases, the compiler detects this and reports the error when building the application. But depending on how your code is written, sometimes the problem is detected only at run-time.

The error occurs when you indirectly call a pure virtual function within the context of a call to the constructor or destructor of an abstract base class. This is illustrated in the sample code below, along with some more description.

Calling a pure virtual function is a programming error, so you need to find the call to the pure virtual function and rewrite the code so it is not called."

@mikemanutd

originally posted by mikemanutd:-

unfortunately i have already tried reloading windows XP and it didnt work and my dad is too tight fisted to buy a nerw ram so 512MB will have to suffice. i know people with 512MB ram who it works perfectly for

Can I ask did you reformat the drive that Windows XP is running from before you reinstalled?

The reason I ask is that this particular issue has arisen with numerous other software and the reformat/reinstall is often a solution to this problem. With other software it has sometimes been found to be an issue with what is called the registry, which is from my basic understanding (anyone who knows better feel free to correct me) the section of the hard drive that controls how the whole operating system runs itself and other applications. Basically it gets corrupted at some point where the operating system is then unable to locate the necessary files to run a particular application, which results in this R6025 error.

If it is a case of registry errors then an expert could probably locate where the problem is but it is not recommended for novices (like myself). I had this R6025 error with Internet Explorer a few months back and the reformatting/reinstalling cleared the problem up (only in an obvious manner in that it hasn't happened since, whether or not there is something still wrong under the hood I don't know). I did alot of what has already been suggested (scan for spyware, defragment, repair Windows, reinstall the application, check the drive for errors) before I took the last throw of the dice step of reformatting and reinstalling XP. I know it is two completely different applications but it's worth a shot. Although I must warn you this can take a long time (it took about 8 hours if I remember correctly for me on a 12GB drive with XP Professional).

Ok I am not posting my CV to prove I have an idea what I am talking about, Intrinsic is obviously going to sort things out for you. But a few points before I go:

A failing ram stick would not necessarily show up until a memory hungry application used it. Windows set up in no way uses all the ram you have in a system, all your pc (the bios) does is check to see how much ram you have, this is a quick check and does not fill the ram cells with data. Only when the cells are used would an error show up. Therefore you run a ram tester which does this.

'Then only step you should have considered doing in this instance are:

Re-installing FM & the patch (make sure you uninstalled it 1st of course)

99% of the other suggestions in this were arse.'

Well that is genius I wish someone had thought of that earlier.

If this is a software error where are the pages of people with the same fault? A Pure Virtual Function call error can mean the function was called at the wrong time, it can also arise when the function is called correctly but is not delivered correctly.

Anyway as intrinsic has the thing covered I can get back to running my company.

there going to be a lot of little messages from me here.

1. i did send them a file and the zip folder containined pictures of the error

2. no error file came up in the crash dumps folder however I do have an error file of fm06 which is the same problem

and please cant we all just be friendly on this. Thanks for all the help.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but seeing you didn't format your drive yet when reinstalling xp (how can you do that btw?), heres my 2 cents of trying to help out.

I think you should try at least the following;

Step 1:

Backup everything you don't want to loose if possible.

Step 2:

Format your master hd, in case you have more then 1 hd. This step is very important, because imo it's caused by a registry problem that you probably cannot fix manually.

Step 3:

Reinstall windows xp.

Step 4:

Install all your needed drivers (graphics card, audio card, etc.) and update them.

Step 5:

Upgrade windows xp to service pack 2.

When done, again check for updates for xp sp2, and install them.

Step 6:

Install fm08 and run the game.

If you still have the same issue you can be sure it is hardware related, probably incompatible ram sticks.

In this case you can try the following.

Google for a system checking program and run it to see if there are no hardware conflicts.

I know the above steps are time consuming, but seeing you have this problem for so long now i would give it a try.

I don't think this error is the fault of SI, and I'm sure they would already have tried to help you out if they where sure it was a bug caused by the game.

On a side note, nobody else seemed to have the same issue that you have, otherwise someone would already have confirmed this in your thread.

I'm in no way a computer expert but i had my fair share of fixing issues in the past on my former systems.

Just trying to help out, because nothing is more frustrating than a computer problem. icon_smile.gif

didnt reformat when i reinstalled Windows XP because I didnt do it

I have already done a clean reinstall of windows...actually got a pro to do waste of time

Ok this makes a difference, you said you had this done professionally I assumed he would have reformatted. If he didn't (just ran windows in place installation) then all your other software could have been left on the drive. In which case this reinstall does not rule out software as a possible cause, and all the posts about hardware may have been pointless.

i have found a very odd work around and if anyone want to explain it feel free. So here whatt I do, I have two save files of the same game at the same point one is compressed and the other isnt. I load the file whihc isnt compressed because 90% of the time if I try to load the compress one it fails. So I load the compressed one and then I go onto preferences and tick compress save games if it isnt ticked. then I go on save as and save it on the file which is the compressed one, and hey presto at the moment this little trick seems to work. I dont think it fixed it permeanantly because I have noticed it only seems to work with over save on every week and you have to make sure you save it twice and get the compressed folders right. Maybe the continous saving is fixing it.

Im sorry RSCA4Ever for you to go to so much effort to type all this out but I just dont trust myself to do it. Im pretty rubbish with computers really and I dont want to damage it beyond my own repair.

No problem. icon_smile.gif

I can understand you, I'm not so keen in reformating myself btw, but sometimes it's the only option when OS software gets corrupted.

Some years ago i needed to format my drive (caused by a corrupted .dll file) to later find out that a few of my backup cd's where corrupted, so i lost quite a bit of stuff.

I'm glad you found a workaround though. icon_smile.gif

Archived