How To Meet The Next Season

I have to thank SFraser for the time he has taken over these guides - I've been reading with interest lately, and the suggestions made have really helped have a big impact at my club. I stripped out all my reserves and streamlined my squad from 55 to 45 players. I cancelled an affiliation that I never used and set up a new feeder club deal with Scunthorpe in the Championship. I completely rebuilt my U18 side with new prospects, which has turned them from also-rans to a table-leading squad with players on my first team bench. A completely different pre-season approach, allied with improved squad management mean I have a happy and healthy squad, for a change.

Having changed how the club operates, I could pinpoint what else wasn't working - the tactics. Some tweaks here and there, and I'm now performing much better than last season. Cheers Steven!

SFraser, when do you renew the contracts of your older players (over 30)? I thought you once said you would only give them one year contracts. Do you renew them around January, or do you renew them when their contracts really expire, in June, with the risk of your players leaving on a free transfer?

• 1 month later...

SFraser,

I'm very interested in knowing how you decide who gets Rotation, First Team and Key Player status.

The Key players seem fairly obvious..... the outstanding talent that you know you are going to play almost every game

The issue I have is choosing between First Team and Rotation.

Regards

LAM

ps.... I couldnt find if I had posted in this thread before, if I did, then great, if I didn't..... then .... congratulations, a great thread indeed (I read it ages ago)

Alot of people seem to think there is nothing to do between matches, but actually between matches there is so much to do it's pretty much impossible to remember it all.

This point sticks out for me a lot. I often rue match days as they require concentration, decisions and time that the bit between the matches doesn't need. I can pick the game up, tinker with training, scouting, tactics or squad management for 10mins and then put it down, but a match is a bit different. Unfortunately, also playing a United game means that "between" is not very long.

SFraser,

I'm very interested in knowing how you decide who gets Rotation, First Team and Key Player status.

The Key players seem fairly obvious..... the outstanding talent that you know you are going to play almost every game

The issue I have is choosing between First Team and Rotation.

Answering this from my point of view, I consider my First Teamers as all of those who are going to get lots of game time, but might not be Key players. And Rotation is those who don't quite get much game time, but are far better that a backup.

So looking at the United squad of last year, Key Players would be vdS, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Nani, Rooney. First Team: O'Shea, Rafael, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Valencia, Hernandez, Berbatov. Rotation: Kuszczak, Fabio, Park,Owen. Backup: everyone else.

That might not be the way everyone else sees it, and sometimes I will adjust a player's squad status to keep them happy, but it won't affect how much I play them. If they then request more playing time, and don't deserve it, I'll let them move on.

I would also add the minor point that anyone given a number from 1-11 is considered "in the first XI" and therefore should be a Key Player or First Teamer, lest they get annoyed at the disparity.

I would also add the minor point that anyone given a number from 1-11 is considered "in the first XI" and therefore should be a Key Player or First Teamer, lest they get annoyed at the disparity.

Really?

How do you then account for the players that want a higher number shirt? VDV always wants 23 (I think).

Funnily enough, in part agreement with your post. I will not give a 1-11 number shirt to someone if i dont consider them first team enough, despite how many i may have spare.

Great post.

Is there a reason the preseason GK schedule involves no strength training?

On FM10 (I am not sure about FM11), the Strength catregory trains Strength and Stamina. SFraser must not value these attributes in his Goalkeepers and since they're declining rapidly in their Physicals, Stamina and Strength will probably drop and the CA will not be taken from other categories so they will not decline much.

Archived