Will There Ever Be A Football Manager NFL American Football?

The NFL is a unique sport in that it only has 16 regular season games. A game player can play through an actual season without having to simulate games. That's why I actually enjoy the Madden style games more than I do FIFA or any other similar game. If I wanted to get through multiple FIFA seasons, I'd have to play with a sped up time clock or something else that is entirely unrealistic. With the NFL, that restriction is lifted.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Si doing a wrestling sim. :D

Run my own Franchise v WWE and TNA etc...

Greydog Software has one where you run your own promotion. I was asking Acid Burn if their games are any good. I think Nobby has it' date=' said he liked it.

[url']http://www.greydogsoftware.com/home.php[/url]

Doubt this will happen any time soon but I'd love to see an NFL/NCAA football sim like FM. Personally I'm much more of an NCAA fan as I actually have an association with a huge football school (Ohio State). If SI ever decide to go this route and make a game like this they absolutely must include not only the NFL but college teams as well. There are actually distinct markets for either level of the game and it would be smart to try to capitalize on both at the same time. I would say the NCAA game is actually the closest to what European football is like in terms of having a variety of leagues/divisions, traditional powerhouses like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Texas, Alabama, just to name a few. Also the whole fan culture of these teams is very close from what I can tell to those in European football clubs. There are many huge rivalries. Scouting for talent is very important just as it is in FM. There are certain areas of U.S. that are considered big hotbeds for producing talent. Kind of like the traditional talent hotspots we have with countries like Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, England.

I think all in all a game like this could have much potential. I'll be honest though, I've never played any of the current simulations that are available for American Football. Probably because they're all mainly terrible, at least in comparison with FM. Madden stuff doesn't really interest me much. I see it in the same way as FIFA. Lots of eye candy but lacking in substance. Some may argue this point but that's the way I see it.

A new version of OOTP is released annually and is in my opinion a great game. It hasn't really caught on here in the US though. EA Sports has released an american football management game in the past, but it wasn't very good, and I don't think it sold well either. EA unfortunately has a lock on american football games, and the big sellers are Madden and NCAA Football. Unforunately EA doesn't put much time into improving these games each year as they have no competition in the US market.

I think as I've seen others say, I don't think us americans like management/strategy games that much as a whole. Most popular games here are Halo, Call of Duty, WOW, etc. And from a sports standpoint, it's Madden, NBA2K, and to a lesser extent FIFA.

• SI Staff

GreyDog software rock imho - definitely worth a look, slightly different style of games in the main to ours; but they're a nice bunch of chaps and definitely worth giving a whirl.

A new version of OOTP is released annually and is in my opinion a great game. It hasn't really caught on here in the US though. EA Sports has released an american football management game in the past, but it wasn't very good, and I don't think it sold well either. EA unfortunately has a lock on american football games, and the big sellers are Madden and NCAA Football. Unforunately EA doesn't put much time into improving these games each year as they have no competition in the US market.

I think as I've seen others say, I don't think us americans like management/strategy games that much as a whole. Most popular games here are Halo, Call of Duty, WOW, etc. And from a sports standpoint, it's Madden, NBA2K, and to a lesser extent FIFA.

My own personal view of EA are that they have a stranglehold on American Football as well as Football around the world because of their financial clout. They have no real competition so just make games off the "assembly line" year after year that are basically minor updates to an existing game. The only time they pulled their finger out their bottoms was when PES was pushing them to. Now they've "won" that war they're back to their lazy ways again.

Even though I have a love/hate relationship with FM at least I feel they are trying to do something different each year and push the game forward even if they don't have any real competition...er, sorry for the rant. I just can't stand EA. :lol:

GreyDog software rock imho - definitely worth a look, slightly different style of games in the main to ours; but they're a nice bunch of chaps and definitely worth giving a whirl.

They certainly do rock. I've always enjoyed their Total Extreme Wrestling Series. It reminds me of FM in terms of data and realism. I tried their College Bowl American Football game but the amount of data involved was too overwhelming for me. But I bet someone who absolutely loves American Football would get a kick out of it.

Archived