Tutoring FM11

Ok, so now I got my hands on FM11, and thought I would use the time until patch 3 is out to do some testing (no reason to do a career game now). Seems that tutoring was changed from FM10 to FM11, and as usual there are no information forthcoming from SI as to what was changed and how. Sadly FMRTE doesn't work yet on my FM11, as I bought mine through GamersGate :( ... so that makes testing a bit harder.

Anyways, I wanted to see if I could figure out why some youngsters can be tutored and others can't.

I used the editor to create three new youngsters for Bath City:

Youngster A

CA/PA:          20/80

Youngster B

CA/PA:          40/100

Youngster C

CA/PA:          20/80

All the youngsters were 17 years old, A & B on youth contracts while C was on part-time contract, and all had 20 in Defender Right.

I wanted to see if my Player/Coach Jim Rollo who has a regional reputation could tutor any of them. His stats were as follows:

Jim Rollo

CA/PA:          36/60

In my first test he could not tutor anyone, which I found odd. So I thought maybe Player/Coaches can't tutor anymore (even though the tool-tip for tutoring option said "no suitable players to tutor"). So I made a new DR player in the editor called Not Rollo, who had the same reputation, position and CA/PA as Jim Rollo. He could not tutor anyone either. So I thought maybe it was that you can only tutor Obscure players?

I then made this guy:

Youngster D

CA/PA:          10/100

But he can't be tutored either by my more experienced players. So I changed Youngster D's PA to 15 (just in case) ... and still no luck.

So I simply can't figure out who can be tutored and who can't. At least not until I can get an in-game editor.

Anyone else had any luck in figuring this out??

Also it seems that there is more to the Reputation on the player's Personal page, than just the three values from the database (Current/Home/World). Jim Rollo has the exact same values in the db as Not Rollo, but Jim Rollo has Regional reputation in the game, while Not Rollo only has Local.

edit: I did some more testing and it seems that Reputation values of the Tutor not only have to be higher than the Youngster, it also has to be higher by some specific amount (Seems to be 41 points in Current Rep.). His CA also needs to be higher than the youngster.

I changed Not Rollo's Reputation from 29/29/6 to 50/50/20, and he was then able to tutor Youngster D. When I changed his Rep. to 70/70/20 then he could tutor all youngsters except B (who had a higher CA that Not Rollo). If I then changed Not Rollo's CA to 51, then he could tutor Youngster B also.

i cant quite get my head around it either.

in previous versions i used tutoring to develop all of the young players that i signed and it had quite a big impact on the increase of attributes if successful.

now i just cant get anyone to do it.

im play as tottenham, and usually i tutor younger players from the 1st team like lennon, Huddlestone and bale, but not this time.

It's frustrating signing a player that is in his early twenty's, yet you're unable to tutor him.

I signed Cedric Mongongu for Liverpool, who has a Determination attribute of 9. Couldn't get anybody to tutor him though, so 9 it remains.

For me the most frustrating is the lack of documentation from SI on this ... so nobody knows what to look for when buying youngster to mold into superstars. You just buy then and then find out that you can't tutor them at all.

I have 16 year old pre-generated players in the Bath U18 squad that can't be tutored by anyone .... and I have no clue why.

I believe its the reputation. Have you tried raising the reputation of the tutor to see if he can do it then?

I've got Yaya Sanogo to Shakhtar and Eduardo couldn't tutor him. I've signed him for Barca and Villa could...

It's definitely not just the reputation of the player who is supposed to be tutored, it's the reputation of the tutor as well.

I believe its the reputation. Have you tried raising the reputation of the tutor to see if he can do it then?

I've got Yaya Sanogo to Shakhtar and Eduardo couldn't tutor him. I've signed him for Barca and Villa could...

It's definitely not just the reputation of the player who is supposed to be tutored, it's the reputation of the tutor as well.

It seems you are right ... not only does the Tutor's reputation need to be higher than than the Youngster's ... it has to be above it by a certain amount.

I tried to change the reputation values of Not Rollo from 29/29/6 (Local) to 50/50/20 (Local) .. and now he could tutor Youngster D, but none of the others. If I changed it to 70/70/20 then he could tutor all the Youngsters except B (20/20/2), which sort of indicates that CA also plays a part??

Edit: Just tested it, raising Not Rollo's CA from 36 to 51, and he can now tutor Youngster B.

So the tutoring is pretty much broke.

Gerrard isn't able to tutor anybody.

Any word from SI on this?

Yes in the Tutoring whining thread in General Discussions forum ... Neil Brock said they are looking into it. Hopefully it will be fixed in a patch or two. Right now it is mostly useless.

edit: here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238666-Tutoring-What-s-the-Official-SI-take-on-this

Archived