[FM08] Don't cry for me Argentina

Raware

Very good season. Into the top 3 :thup:

Watch the big clubs come calling for your players now. The chairman is sure to crumble and accept bundles of cash for your stars. Lets hope this success has made him see there is potential to be one of the top clubs in the country if he lets you keep your star players.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I had to go back to the UK for a week or so.

Congrats on the success raware. :thup:

I was wondering, lots of your players seem to have very high free kick attributes, do you score alot of free kicks?

Cheers Thistles. While it's not huge success i'm happy with our progress so far. Hopefully, we can continue our good progress in years to come and claim real success in the shape of a league title! :D

I actually don't score a lot of free kicks. The only player who really scored from them was Cortez who's now sadly moved on :(

A fantastic season there Raware When do you reckon you'll be able to challenge for the title?

Thanks hamilton. I would say in the next few years but I know what we're like and how inconsitent we can be. Add that to whether or not our chairman will decide to sell 'a few' more players and it could be longer. I really am hoping within 5 years though.

Fantastic season Raware! Gaitan looks very promising, how highly is he rated by your coaches?

Cheers Taylor. He does look outstanding and is touted as the next Carlos Bianchi. My scouts recommended him very highly, claiming he'll be a leading Premier Division striker...which is what persuaded me to break my transfer record and sign him for £2.4 million! If he can fulfil his apparent potential then i reckon I could have a great player and the £2.4 million spent could look like being a bargain.

Very good season. Into the top 3

Watch the big clubs come calling for your players now. The chairman is sure to crumble and accept bundles of cash for your stars. Lets hope this success has made him see there is potential to be one of the top clubs in the country if he lets you keep your star players.

Thanks WH. Yeah, a very good season for us, especially after our disappointing one last season. It wouldn't surprise me if the chairman accepted offers for some of my players...he's done it before and I can't see him stopping now! :( I just hope we can keep hold of the majority of them as I think like you, we could have the potential to be one of the top clubs in the country in years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-season update - 2015/16

Sarmiento de Junin - Argentine Premier Division

League Table

I finally feel like we have truly established ourselves within the league now, especially with our strong finish last season and this is what prompted me to opt for the seasons objective of a safe mid table finish this year. With this target in mind, you can imagine how pleased I am that by the half way mark of the season we’re sitting 3rd in the league, mainly due to our front two, Arnau Abad who’s bagged 13 goals in 22 games and Gustavo Gaitan, who’s hit 10 goals in 22 games. One other stand out player, who is fast becoming a club legend despite only being at the club less than 2 years is Jordi Martinez Moreno who’s netted 11 goals in 21 games from midfield. His performances have been nothing short of magical this year and have rightly earned him the title of Argentinian Young Player of the Year for the second successive year. His performances aren’t going unnoticed either as Inter and Benfica have joined his list of admirers. Hopefully I can hold onto him for a while longer though…chairman permitting! One other award that has come our way is the South American Footballer of the Year award which was awarded to Reimond Manco after a superb year saw him fight off competition from both last years winner, Marco Ruben and Diego Buonanotte. He has been another player who has been instrumental in our relative success so far despite only being with us for less than 3 years. With these awards comes the knowledge that we have some real gems at the club and providing we can keep hold of them, I’m sure we’ll be able to go on and challenge for the league in years to come.

So, overall another excellent first half of the season and one I’m delighted with. With such a strong start to the season it’s difficult to see how we can finish any lower than mid table this season but I’m not counting my chickens just yet! I’ve seen it all before and know how complacency can set in. It’s up to us to continue our good form to finish as high as possible and qualify for the continental competitions again.

I really do hope so but if we don't I won't be too disappointed as I still think we're over achieving somewhat. I reckon we're probably still a mid table team but given time and the players we have i'm certain that we can go close to claiming a title win. Glad you're still following :thup:

No, i'll be sticking with FM08...at the minute. I bought 09 and although I enjoyed most of it, there were still issues with it that just really frustrated me and in the end those frustrations got the better of me, hence why I went back to 08. As usual the latest installment of FM won't be ready to play until probably the last patch has been released (Jan/Feb), so depending on whether the bugs have been fixed and the occurence of injuries are realistic will depend on when/if I buy it.

Will you be buying FM10 or will you be carrying on with the ever inspiring Bernard Brennan on 09?! It'd be nice to see him hit the 1,000 maybe even the 2,000 goal mark :D

No, i'll be sticking with FM08...at the minute. I bought 09 and although I enjoyed most of it, there were still issues with it that just really frustrated me and in the end those frustrations got the better of me, hence why I went back to 08. As usual the latest installment of FM won't be ready to play until probably the last patch has been released (Jan/Feb), so depending on whether the bugs have been fixed and the occurence of injuries are realistic will depend on when/if I buy it.

Will you be buying FM10 or will you be carrying on with the ever inspiring Bernard Brennan on 09?! It'd be nice to see him hit the 1,000 maybe even the 2,000 goal mark :D

Fair enough, it seems like a good thing to do :thup:

As for myself, i'll be carrying on with FM09 for that very reason, to get Brennan to 1,000 goals. I might even get my son to that mark as well, now that would be one hell of achievement! :D

End of season update - 2015/16

League Table

League Positions Graph

With us now getting into the good habit of completing a good first half of the season this once again gave us a good platform to build on to try and make an impression within the league. With the season’s objective of a safe mid table finish almost guaranteed by January, the second half of the season was again about finishing as high as possible in the league; and we did just that as we went one better than last years 3rd and finished as runners up in the Argentine Premier Division…the clubs highest ever league placement. Some excellent team performances and some good individual ones too were the foundations of our success this year. The ever impressing Gustavo Gaitan, who netted 22 goals in 53 appearances and Jordi Martinez Moreno, who hit 19 goals in 42 appearances were the stand out performers, although it was this man, Arnau Abad who was the real star player of the season as he bagged 48 goals in 55 appearances to become the clubs record scorer in a season. He’s come on leaps and bounds this year and looks to be a very promising player indeed. One other player also worth mentioning is Reimond Manco who added to his earlier award this year of the South American Footballer of the Year by claiming the Argentinian Premier Division Best Player award.

Another excellent league campaign for us and another one in which we somewhat over achieved. I’m delighted with the progress we’re making and providing I can keep the majority of the squad together, I’m more than confident that the set of young players I have can only get better. A league title is surely on the cards in the future?

Copa Sudamericana - After our excellent 3rd place finish last year came a place in this year’s Copa Sudamericana for only the second time in the clubs history. Once I again I wasn’t expecting anything other than gaining some experience from the competition and that’s how it proved to be.

Copa Libertadores - Again, I wasn’t expecting anything from this competition (South America’s equivalent of the UEFA Champions League) other than some good experience in our debut season in the competition...so for us to go on and win it really is crazy stuff! A lucky group draw for us in which we were placed with some weak teams seemed to build our confidence and we went on from there really. The players showed real signs of just how quickly they’re developing and put in some real quality performances which led to 10 of them being selected in the competitions Best XI and Arnau Abad claiming both the Copa Libertadores Best Player award and the Copa Libertadores Golden Boot award.

Transfers - Not really a very busy couple of transfer windows for us but we did bring in a few youngsters for the future, namely Marcelo Figueroa who at 19 years old looks half decent and I’m told he has a bright future, hence the reason I decided to splash the cash on him. A lot of our youngsters were released this season as they just weren’t cutting the mustard and the ones who supposedly have a future were sent to our feeder team, Boca Unidos, to gain some vital first team experience. I was a bit disappointed to see the likes of Abelairas and Penna leave but they requested to leave and obviously I was very disappointed to see last season’s top scorer, Henry Gimenez leave but he wouldn’t renew his contract so he went on a free transfer where he eventually signed for German outfit Wolfsburg. Overall though, I’m happy with the transfers and the £1.4 million profit which we made.

Squad - The shape of the squad didn’t really change much this season and we’re beginning to show signs of unity and real development within the players. Now the players are used to each other and how they play with each other, as I’ve said previously, providing I can keep hold of the majority of the players, I can see us becoming a real force in Argentina and hopefully with that will come a league title for the very first time, helping my aim of achieving Razer’s South American challenge!

Career Summary

Season	Team		     League                      Position    Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-09	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   5th       -
09-10	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   9th       -
10-11	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   1st	     2nd Div champions
11-12	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    12th      -
12-13	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    6th       -
13-14	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    11th      -
14-15	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division	   3rd       -
15-16   Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    2nd       Prem Div runners up, Copa Lib winners

Ha, good to have you following Sax! I'm sure you'll do more seasons on FM10 when you take Norwich to the brink of glory! ;) I'm sticking with 08 at the minute depending on if the bugs in FM10 are ironed out. Plus I want to try and complete Razers challenge and hopefully have my longest career ever! :D

Ha, good to have you following Sax! I'm sure you'll do more seasons on FM10 when you take Norwich to the brink of glory! ;) I'm sticking with 08 at the minute depending on if the bugs in FM10 are ironed out. Plus I want to try and complete Razers challenge and hopefully have my longest career ever! :D

I dont know of any game breaking bugs, care to inform me :confused:

Great stuff there Raware, league glory is coming :thup:

Congrats on the Libertadores win raware. I bet you were glad to get Barcelona(ECU) again in the 2nd round.

Good luck for the title next season!

Thanks DodgeeD. Yep, getting Barcelona (ECU) no doubt helped us gain momentum!

I dont know of any game breaking bugs, care to inform me :confused:

Great stuff there Raware, league glory is coming

I hope so, we seemed to have done it the wrong way around...libertadores then maybe the league, but as long as we claim a title i'll be happy!

There's always bugs in the game on release day and until I see injuries are realistic and tactics are what they should be by reading other people's comments on the game then i may buy it. Last years installement just frustrated the hell out of me and no matter what SI say, injuries were far too unrealistic and tactics far too ambigous. I can't face another frustrating game like that! :D I see the 'bug' concerning the conditioning of players who are subbed and those who aren't hasn't been addressed yet...proves to back up my point of waiting to buy it after/if they finally fix the game.

A fantastic season there Raware :thup: Do you reckon now that the title is a real possibility within the next couple of seasons?

Thanks hamilton. I really hope so. We have shown we have a good enough squad but it just depends on the strength of teams like San Lorenzo, River and Boca. If they weaken slightly in the next few years then i'm certain we'll take the title...for me to complete Razer's challenge! :D

Mid-season update - 2016/17

Sarmiento de Junin – Argentine Premier Division

League Table

After our superb season last year in which we finished as runners up in the league and winners in the Copa Libertadores cup, I felt more confident about the coming season. Having said that though, I still opted for the season’s objective of a top half finish as 1) The media were still predicting us to finish fairly low (9th) and 2) I thought, why rock the boat and put needless pressure on myself when the board was more than happy to accept the expectation of a top half finish. So, with half of the season gone I’m delighted that we’ve managed to carry on last years great form as by the halfway mark we find ourselves sat top of the league! The main reason for this is once again this man, Arnau Abad who’s scored an incredible 26 goals in 27 games which has led to him claiming both the Argentinian Young Player of the Year and the South American Footballer of the Year awards. Having already amassed 86 goals in just 107 appearances since he joined us 2 and a half years ago, coupled with the fact that he’s still only 20 years old, he stands a great chance of reaching the 1,000 goal mark for us, providing we can keep hold of him of course! One other award that has come our way is the Argentinian Premier Division Manager of the Year award…which was awarded to me! :D With the award has come media speculation as my name has been linked with the managerial vacancies at Santos, River and Racing Club. Although I’ve had no official offers, should the likes of these big clubs actually offer me something, would I be able to refuse them?

We’re getting quite used to having good starts to our seasons now and on our performances so far this year, without getting ahead of myself, surely a first league title must be on the horizon soon?

A brilliant year so far Raware :thup: Surely you can complete Razer's FM08 Challenge this season. Good Luck in doing so

I really hope so! I've got an excellent chance this year!

Great stuff raware.

Abad look to have all the makings of a world-class striker. I'm surprised he hasn't been capped by Colombia yet though.

He looks a great player! He was dubbed the new Hugo Rodallega when my scouts found him which is what tempted me to splash £1M on an 18 year old. He's probably the best and only player i've ever had on FM/CM who could actually score 1,000 goals. I'm surprised too that he hasn't won a full cap yet...although there's still time :D

Raware,

You already complete Razor's challenge, because in Argentina you become champ winning the apertura or the clausura tournament. The aggregate table is only for cup classification.

I think that if you look at Sarmiento's achivements you will see you are champ.

Yeah, but to save any confusion for people that are unfamiliar with the rules/format of the league in Argentina (the two separate tournaments, the Apertura and the Clausura), i'll be going with the final league table as my final league position. Although, you are right about the individual Apertura and Clausura tournaments. This is the first time i've managed in South America based on Razer's, corinthiano's and DodgeeD's threads. I remember reading DodgeeD's thread and feeling a little confused (not your fault DodgeeD but my own for not understanding the rules of the league) about the different competitions so I thought in my thread i'd avoid that confusion for people. :D

I like your badges where can I find them?

I got the majority of them from sortitoutsi. I hate playing FM without the club badges, it really completes the feeling of my game with them. Are you playing FM10?

I got the majority of them from sortitoutsi. I hate playing FM without the club badges, it really completes the feeling of my game with them. Are you playing FM10?

Yes. I'm playing Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, italy and Spain. I started unemployed and now I'm managing Platense.

End of season update - 2016/17

League Table

League Positions Graph

With a superb first half of the season under our belts, we once again had a great foundation on which to build on…but despite our best efforts we failed at the last hurdle! With 3 games to go and the title race really hotting up, a point was all that separated ourselves and Boca; all we needed to do was win our remaining games against the so called lower teams. But we slipped up against Colon after some, shall we say, dodgy refereeing decisions in which we ‘gave away’ 3 penalties in a game we ended up losing 2-1. I was ‘a tad’ unhappy with the decisions and voiced my displeasure which resulted in me earning a touchline ban. With Boca having to lose and us having to win on the last day of the season to claim our first ever league title it wasn’t to be as we could only muster a draw whilst Boca went on to win and claim the title. Although on the face of it, it was a disappointing way to end the season, there are still positives to be taken out of it. This man, Arnau Abad continued to impress both me and his many admirers as he racked up 43 goals in 48 appearances which took him past the 100 goal mark in his young career already. He also claimed the Argentinian Premier Division Best Player award to add to his earlier awards of the Argentinian Young Player of the Year and South American Footballer of the Year awards. One other stand out performer this year was Gustavo Gaitan who also continued to impress me as he formed a lethal partnership with Abad as he netted 31 goals in 54 appearances.

Despite finishing the season in the way we did, I can only be delighted with our season as we finished as runners-up for the second successive season. The club looks to be heading in the right direction and hopefully we can claim that first ever league title soon.

Copa Sudamericana - I wasn’t really expecting us to make an impact in this competition so I was delighted to win it for the very first time in the club’s history after some great team performances.

Copa Libertadores - After our heroics in this competition last year which saw us claim the title, the pressure was on a little bit as the board were expecting us to make the semis. It wasn’t to be though as we just failed to turn up against a much stronger Figueirense side.

Club World Championship - I was hoping to at least make the final of this competition but we were poor and fully deserved the 3-0 hammering we received. Even if we had made the final, I couldn’t have seen us beating eventual winners Chelsea.

Transfers - A nice tidy profit was made after I chose to sell a few players who didn’t really fit into my plans. Most notably vice captain Walter Serrano left after spending 6 years at the club and Nereo Champagne left after 9 years with us. Both were past it so I felt it was best that they left. 2 players I’m delighted to have brought in are Bruno who looks a snip at £2.6 million and Higor who has just arrived now the season is over and is dubbed the next Serginho Chulapa.

Squad - The squad, again, hasn’t really changed much other than the players maturing and improving. Obviously Abad and Gaitan are the stand out players but Dominguez has earnt the label of the next Mario Kempes and Figueroa has earnt the tag of the next Gabriel Heinze. With such promise within the squad, the next few years are pivotal in the players’ development.

Career Summary

Season	Team		     League                      Position    Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-09	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   5th       -
09-10	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   9th       -
10-11	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine 2nd Division	   1st	     2nd Div champions
11-12	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    12th      -
12-13	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    6th       -
13-14	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    11th      -
14-15	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division	   3rd       -
15-16   Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    2nd       Prem Div runners up, Copa Lib winners
16-17	Sarmiento de Junin   Argentine Premier Division    2nd	     Prem Div runners up, Copa Sud winners

Clarification on league rules/format

Just to clarify…

With this being the first time I have ever ventured into management in South America on FM I’m learning the rules as I go along. The actual rules/format of the Argentine Premier Division are : 20 teams play two single round robin tournaments each year: the Apertura which runs from August to December and the Clausura which runs from February to June, thus, there are two champions each season. However, I will be going on the final combined league table as my final league position as I wasn’t aware of this ruling before I started my updates so keeping to this structure will maintain the cleanliness of my thread. So, regarding the challenge I’m also playing along side this game (Razer’s challenge), although officially I have won the league title (the 2016-17 mid season update where I finished top), it won’t count in my thread as winning the title. I have to finish top in the combined table for it to count as me winning the league. Also, Argentina has no official national cup competition so that’s why there are no cup updates for anybody wondering.

I hope you’re still enjoying my thread and whilst I know many of you are now playing FM10, I hope this doesn’t detract any of you continuing to follow my game. Maybe when the next patch is released for FM10 I may start a new game and a new thread. In the meantime…I’ll continue to try and take Sarmiento to world domination! :D

Archived