Do you need a strong striker?

I really enjoy fm but dont have time to pour over all the (admittedly excellent) threads on tactics, theroy etc. one thing I cant work out though - playing in a standard 442, do you have to play the big man little man combination, or can you get away with two fast strikers? Of course it will vary, but was wondering if in principle this would be ok...

Well, on my current Man City save, I play Vagner Love and Robinho up front.

Robinho has played 11, scored 8.

Vagner Love has played 10, scored 5.

So two small players work, as long as you don't try and play with tall strikers, if you know what I mean. Don't try and cross it to their heads. Always play through to their feet.

I would have rather had the 4-4-2 with the tall man(being Roque Santa Cruz), but Blackburn wouldn't sell him to me...

Well, on my current Man City save, I play Vagner Love and Robinho up front.

Robinho has played 11, scored 8.

Vagner Love has played 10, scored 5.

So two small players work, as long as you don't try and play with tall strikers, if you know what I mean. Don't try and cross it to their heads. Always play through to their feet.

I would have rather had the 4-4-2 with the tall man(being Roque Santa Cruz), but Blackburn wouldn't sell him to me...

Same here, Robinho and Vagner Love play really well together. It does pose a bit of problem that I don't have tall players in Man City team except defenders...midfielders like Zhirkov and SWP are not that good with headers. Same with Moutinho...only De Jong is decent, but I usually need him backing the defenders in corner situation.

No no... Downie, you had it right the first time! xD

Don't get Santa Cruz!

Two small men work just fine - just use wingers with instruction to cut inside, play to feet and have a midfielder with a bit of creative freedom - preferably one who "tries killer balls often".

It's actually much easier to get your side to work with two small strikers as you can focus on building a clean passing game - whereas a clumsy Peter Crouch-esque beanpole tends to lose the ball if anything too technical is asked of them

If you can find a player about 5ft10, decent pace, high strength and good finishing... then thats an ideal guy if you want a "sort of" big guy up there.

For me, Robinho as FCd (bit lower mentality) and Vagner Love as FCa (higher mentality) work really well. But I was thinking about having someone like Drogba up front originally...

I have Vagner Love as the FCd. Mainly because he's the better dribbler.

But I do have them 'Switch Positions' with each other. So that means that they have fairer chances, as the FCa is the one who scores more.

Archived