Do you tick the offside box?

If your defence has been playing together for a while then it's very effective. But if you have a defence which has just been assembled then you will sink faster than the titanic :D

Does the game actually recognise that sort of stuff?

I've been trying with and without the box ticked. My defence has performed noticeably better without it ticked.

I have two new fullbacks this season so as TigerJoe suggests that may be the reason.

I push my defensive line up a lot, so the offside rule is risky for me; I think in such a case it's better to leave it unticked. You should also consider the fact that very slow defenders may not be able to pull it off when up against the likes of Eto'o or Walcott etc.

I push my defensive line up a lot, so the offside rule is risky for me; I think in such a case it's better to leave it unticked. You should also consider the fact that very slow defenders may not be able to pull it off when up against the likes of Eto'o or Walcott etc.

On the contrary, if you have players with the right attributes, playing a high defensive line and the offside trap go hand in hand.

As you noted though, slow defenders can be a liability in the offside trap, and a high defensive line against faster strikers, but that's not all that matters.

I find defenders with good all around mental attributes such as positioning, anticipation, concentration, are excellent with the offside trap. With good attributes and practice in pre-season, it doesn't take long to gel.

So what would be considered as fast for a defender then? The Fastest defender i've seen on the game (considering i only usually play the english league and don't load many others) is Rio Ferdinand, with around 16 for both acceleration and pace (obviously depending on how he has trained). What would be the minimum number for these attributes when considering a defender as 'fast'?

So what would be considered as fast for a defender then? The Fastest defender i've seen on the game (considering i only usually play the english league and don't load many others) is Rio Ferdinand, with around 16 for both acceleration and pace (obviously depending on how he has trained). What would be the minimum number for these attributes when considering a defender as 'fast'?

If your defenders' acceleration and pace are greater than your opponents' front line's acceleration and pace, you have a 'fast defender'. There are no absolutes when it comes to Team A vs Team B.

Christian Zapata.

Best CB you'll find in the game, in my opinion.

He's quick and strong. Good at heading. He knows what he is doing.

He's only 21, and will cost you, at the most, £15M.

He's an excellent player. I usually sign him every January(he fails medical tests at the beginning of the season because of a broken jaw).

Oh, he's got 17 for Acceleration, in case you were wondering.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot - Micah Richards. He's younger, quicker and stronger than Zapata.

However, he's much harder to get than CP. He'll set you back at least £20M.

When I was Man City, Richards and Zapata were excellent together.

But, if I wasn't City, I wouldn't have Richards. So it'll be difficult for you to get both of them. Especially when it will cost you £30M or so to get both at the one time...

Anyone with pace and perhaps more importantly, acceleration, of 12+ I find is fine. Obviously there's particularly fast defenders out there as have been mentioned, but a defender I consider to be an all-around beast, is none other than Federico Fazio from Sevilla. Best defender on the game IMO and usually the first person I sign when playing as a higher level club. ;)

Anyone with pace and perhaps more importantly, acceleration, of 12+ I find is fine. Obviously there's particularly fast defenders out there as have been mentioned, but a defender I consider to be an all-around beast, is none other than Federico Fazio from Sevilla. Best defender on the game IMO and usually the first person I sign when playing as a higher level club. ;)

I almost always play with pretty high DL and offside box ticked. But my defs (Everton) all have pace 15+ bar P.Neville (he serves more as moral leader now though and plays as a backup) and Rodwell (who I hope will gain a point or two as he develops). Works just great, except when I face Arsenal or ManUtd away. But then again, my tactical approach for those games are quite different from most of other matches.

I looked at Fazio and decided against signing him as I always try to keep the best players in the game out of my team (unless they are already in) :)

My defence has been together for a while now. They are all pacey with high concentration. I played them in a high line with offside. Result = Won the league, the FA Cup and the CL. Awesome!!

I've got a rather slow but incredibly talented backline.

Chiellini, Vidic, Demichilis, Ramos.

Would you recommend Offside Trap ticked for this backline? I've already got a pretty high D-Line.

Second question. Mainly towards Heath but also JDownie. Looking at my backline, would you recommend a different/faster backline? Would you still recommend Fazio in my lineup etc?

Archived