The Annual 'Give Youth A Chance' Failure Challenge

Just a quick note, came back to my machine to see one of my flatmates has found the game sitting. Needless to say he lost my next two games (details on the update), but he also accpeted it when Arsenal loaned me a striker James Berrett. However, I checked and he did not play any part in any of the two games. Hes gone back now and I have proof if anybody wants to check it. Just clearing that up. ;)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merthyr 2017/18 Season Update - League Two

2009/10 - BSS, 2nd - Promotion through playoffs!

2010/11 - BSP, 18th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2011/12 - BSP, 6th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2013/14 - BSP, 14th - FA Trophy winners!

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2015/16 - League Two, 20th

2016/17 - League Two, 13th, JPT S Quarter Final

2017/18 - League Two, 9th

Despite only one real change from last season's starting XI (with one of the youth prospects earning a starting spot), the team played much better this season, and by March had reached 6th place, with only a handful of games to go until the end of the season! However, from then on I was unable to string 2 wins together, and I finished the season in a respectible 9th place (4 places up from last season), only 1 point and GD away from 7th place and a playoff place.

2018 League Table

As mentioned youth player David Swann was the only new face in the starting XI, with star defender Danny Wyatt getting the highest average rating (7) and picking up his 2nd fans player of the year award

2018 Seasonal Best XI and Danny Wyatt

No obvious stand out youth prospects this season, so it looks to be up to the current squad to make that little improvement to get into the playoff spots next season.

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 9th in League Two

Average Attendance: 2,914

Most Assists: Jason Punchenon - 18

Most League Apperances for Club: Matthew Harris - 471

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 175

2018 International Update - Croatia - 2018 World Cup

After only just qualifying for the 2018 World Cup last season (where my position was listed as very insecure), I won a few friendlies, which kept the board happy, but was drawn against Argentina, Mexico and Iran in the World Cup Group E. The side played very well, but lost 2-3 to Argentina, 0-1 to Mexico, and the 2-0 win against Iran was meaningless. I was expecting to be given the sack by Croatia, however I have been told that the FA "Thought long and hard before deciding to allow you to continue as manager and now want to see a vast improvement in the next competition".

Given that all of the half decent Croatian players are now retiring, and the youth coming through are rubbish (I swear my League Two GK is better than my first choice Croatian GK), so I really dont know where the vast improvement is going to come from.

Good to see people still following my updates!

As requested, here is Jason Punchenon and his 7 year history to date (one of a handfull of regens to make an impact in his first season). Being my first choice corner taker has probably helped him ger the assists record.

Wyatt is top class for this level, so much so that his awards include: 2012, 2014, 2015 BSP Players Select and 2016, 2017, 2018 League 2 Players Select! However, he now "thinks he has achieved all he can at this club", "wants to move to a bigger club", and is "not currently interested in renewing his contract". He has 2 years to go on his contract, but with Championship and also some international clubs having already made bids for him, I think it is only a matter of time before I have to let him go :(

As for my squad, it's quite young with an average age of 23, and only two orignal players in the starting XI: 29 year old Matthew Harris and 28 year old star striker Marcus Griffiths.

Wyatt is top class for this level, so much so that his awards include: 2012, 2014, 2015 BSP Players Select and 2016, 2017, 2018 League 2 Players Select! However, he now "thinks he has achieved all he can at this club", "wants to move to a bigger club", and is "not currently interested in renewing his contract". He has 2 years to go on his contract, but with Championship and also some international clubs having already made bids for him, I think it is only a matter of time before I have to let him go :(

Let him go now. sell him and get some money to go to facility updates.

Merthyr 2018/19 Season Update - League Two

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2018/19 - League Two, 1st, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Two Champions!

In only my 4th season in League Two, and after coming so close to a playoff spot last season, I went one better this season and managed to secure promotion to League One! By early April promotion to League One was already secured for myself and Shrewsbury, the two runaway leaders. However, despite Merthyr being in 1st place for most of the season, we were actually 1 point behind Shrewsbury coming into the last game of the season.

10 mins into Merthyr's final game of the season they were reduced to 10 men, but still managed to dominate the game and win 2-0. Even better than that, Shrewsbury choked under the pressure and lost 2-3 due to an injury time goal, which lead to Merthyr winning their first ever league title!

2019 League Table and Positional Graph

In the cups, I again was knocked out of the Carling Cup in the first round (yet to win a first round match), as I was in the JPT, however made it to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, for a home tie against Premiership club Stoke. Whilst I lost 0-3 (it could have been much worse), that game saw 9,984 people come to the ground (previous best of 5,623) and brought in $425k (AUD) (previous best $110k), smashing my previous records and giving the bank balance a nice boost!

After doing so well to almost clinch a playoff spot last season, it was largley the same squad this season, however that extra years experience was really paid dividends, especially when you consider I was without 2 of my key players for large parts of the season, star striker Marcus Griffiths out for 5 months and Jason Punchenon out for 4 months with injury.

The 2019 seasonal best XI that won the League

A summary of my club by value - after only having 2 players worth over $100k at the end of last season, this figure has now jumped to 10 (helped by my promotion no doubt), with my most valuable player being Marcus Griffiths at $325k - not that I would ever sell him of course!

Given it's a promotion year, I'll go into a bit more detail for a few of my players:

Goal Keeper

Chris Thompson: Only 4 seasons after entering the youth team Chris has made 186 apperances and made the GK spot his own. His 2019 average rating was only 6.87, and he did conceed more than a goal a game (59 conceeded), however he was still deemed good enough for the League 2 Players Select. At only 20 he has a very bright future, however (unfortunatly) has attracted the attention of some lower EPL / Championship / SPL sides :( Is happy playing for the club at the moment, let's hope it lasts

Defenders

Danny Wyatt: What can I say about this guy! 9 Seasons with the club, 415 games, average rating constantly over 7, 3 x BSP players Select (missed out one season), 4 x League 2 Players Select, 4 x Fans Player of the Year, Club Favoured Personnel - At 24 he is a Merthyr legend! He has also attracted the attention of numerous clubs, and now wants to move to a bigger club. With his contract running out at the end of next season, I think I may be forced to sell him before the Jan transfer window so he doesn't get taken away for nothing... oh well, it was bound to happen I guess!

Midfielders

Jason Puncheon: Took a while to make his mark on the team, but at 24, 8 seasons and 263 games later, is probably my star midfileder. Made the Leage 2 Players select side this season for thie first time after a fine season with a 7.15 average rating, and holds the club asssits record with 18 last season.

Matthew Harris - Vice Captain since 2009: Not exactly a star player, but a consistant member of the team over the past 13 seasons (3 of which were before I took over), and one of only 2 original players who have made the starting XI over the last couple of seasons (along with Marcus Griffiths). Whilst in 13 years he has never won a single award (excluding 7 team of the week nominations), he has managed a club record 599 games, and in that time has only ever picked up a handful of injuries, the longest being for only 3 weeks. At 30, he is past his best, and will probably not be part of my starting XI next season, however I'll make sure he gets a few games at least so he gets over the 600 mark.

Strikers

Marcus Griffiths - Captain since 2009: Along with Harris, one of only 2 original players that has consistantly made the starting XI, he is a star of the club and has been since day one. Has managed 231 goals in 481 games and picked up a mountain of awards and club records (see below). Despite being out with injury for 5 months this season he still managed to pick up the season most goals / most MOM records again, as he has most seasons. Also, despite being my most valuable player at $325k (AUD), not once has another club shown interest! At 29, he is past his peak, but hopefully has a couple of good seasons left in him. His achievements include:

2x BSP Players Select, BSS Player of the Season runner up, 2x BSP Top Goalscorer, BSP Top Goalscorer runner up, BSP Top Goalscorer third place, BSP Goal of the Season, 10x Club Top Goalscorer (club record 37), 10x Club Top League Goalscorer (club record 29), 8x Club Most Goals in a Match (club record 4), 7x Club Highest Average Rating (club record 7.30), 6x Club Most MOM (club record 15), Most League Goals for Club (191), 7x Fans Player of the Year, Fastest Goal (15 seconds), Club Favoured Personnel

Daniel Hudson: At only 21, and after 4 seasons and 155 games, he is now the 2nd choice striker behind Griffiths. Despite only scoring 29 goals in 155 games, his stats indicate he could be just the man to take over from Griffiths as the number 1 striker. Now awards as yet, but has won 9 U21 caps for Wales. One for the future.

Finances were nicely boosted by my FA Cup run, and now stand at $800k, but still not enough for any improvements to my facilities.

Club Records

Highest League Position: 1st in League Two

Highest Attendance: 9,984 v Stoke FA Cup 3rd Round

Highest Gate Receipts: $425,000 v Stoke FA Cup 3rd Round

Average Attendance: 3,872

Most League Apperances for Club: Matthew Harris - 517

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 191

Wow, MarkyMark thats a truly superb effort, you've had a few more seasons than me, but even with a few more years I reckon I will be very lucky to be WINNING league two! :thup:

Great update aswell, good to see us getting a closer look at your team, and wow, I cant beleive how good your youngsters are compared to mine, it just shows the difference between training facilites, Thompson is ridiculously good and probably would do a decent job in the Prem, and Hudson aswell, what a player, pace and good technically, im surprised he isnt outscoring Griffiths to be honest.

Fantastic work, hopefully you can upgrade facilites soon and really get some consistant quality through, although just thinking if yours arent the bottom tier of facility like most of ours, maybe it will take a LOT of money?

Superb stuff mate, what do you make of your chances in league one? Looking at few League One sides on my game there seems to be some fantastic players in there so it could be tough.

Good luck!

P.s My debut season in League Two update will be up soon. :thup:

Here's my latest results in my debut season,

Dover 2 - 2 Newport Co. Moore, Welford (pen)

Dover 2 - 0 Paulton (Fa Cup 2nd Q) Wallis, Welford.

Dover 1 - 1 Farnborough. Moore.

Bognor Regis 2 - 2 Dover. L.Taylor (2)

Folkestone 0 - 4 Dover. (Fa Cup 3rd Q) Welford, L.Taylor (2) J.Hughes.

Maidenhead 3 - 0 Dover.

Dover 1 - 0 Bishops Stortford, L.Taylor.

Team Bath 2 - 1 Dover. (Fa Cup 4th Q) Mawer O.G.

Eastleigh 2 - 2 Dover. L.Taylor (2)

Dover 0 - 0 Basingstoke

Guisley 0 - 4 Dover (Fa Trophy 3rd Q) J.Hughes, L.Taylor (2), Welford.

Fisher 1 - 0 Dover

Dover 2 - 2 Weston-Super Mare, Galbraith O.G, L.Taylor

Dover 2 - 0 Weymouth, Welford (2)

Dover 1 - 2 Wrexham, (Fa Trophy 1st Round) Cloke.#

Havant & W 4 - 1 Dover, Welford.

As you can see i draw most of my games. I just can't win, I've one of the worst away records and a decent home record (not lost at home yet) I'm currently in 15th. Won 5, Lost 5 but DREW EIGHT!

Vintage - I agree that I have been very lucky with my youth prospects, two in particular (Wyatt and Thompson), and I in fact have just received a another youth who my assistant thinks is "one of the best youth prospects in recent years", and I'm hoping he's right. Introducing...

Mark Quinn

Unfortunatly he broke his leg in an U18 game early in the season and is unlikely to back from injury this season, however the fact that after offering him a pre-contract his value shot up to $275k (making him the 2nd most valuable Merthyr player at 16 years of age) gives me the feeling he might just be something special...

As for the Merthyr facilites, they start the game with 'average' training and youth facilities, as well as a 10,000 capacity stadium, which makes them one of the better non-playable clubs facilities wise (and they also started with a couple of handy players).

I'm now making around $200k a month in League One (partly due to me being $16.5k / week under my wage budget) and now have around $2.3M in the bank - still not enough for an upgrade, but as long as I can stay in League One (which is looking likely so far) I imagine it's only a matter of time before I have enough cash to upgrade my facilities.

Good luck in your debut League Two season - if you manage better than 20th you'll be doing better that I did in my first season!

Good stuff Mark, just what an impact the facilities can have, although in saying that I have some decent players through and have 'minimal youth facilities' :D.

Also, 10,000 stadium, I cant beleive that! Im stuck with 2500 capacity and 250 seats.:D

Quinn could be sensational, that valuation is scarily high.

Also, Vintage, dont get disheartened, your first season can be experimental, and you will learn so much doing this challenge - with such minimal resources you have to get the best out of your players, keep players you normally wouldent and work hard on tactics. KUTGW :thup:

I've always been useless with tactics, Never know what to do. As a goalkeeper myself i've never even worked with tactics in real life. I've found going attacking at home always works well. And my form away from home is just absolutely shocking, Have you some tips on away tactics? Also do you set your tactics every player separately? before every game?

Staines Season Report 15/16

So, in fairness, a very dull season for the neutral, but for me I really enjoyed it surprisingly! The league was a consistant campaign, although a bit too near the bottom of the league. After 22 games we were in some real trouble - 22nd in the league, a point off relegation, morale rock bottom and Kelly unfit, but we turned a corner in the second half. The home form was decent, one more home win wouldve put us the best 13th home side in the league. Away however was worryingly bad. 3 wins on the road isnt good enough, neither is the measly 16 goals in the 23 games. While our final league position of 21st may look poor, if you look at the table a bit closer we are a quite massive 12 points from 23rd, and I can tell you that by 30 league games I pretty much gave up on results and started experimenting, new formations, trying the young lads (Players like Ryan Hunt, Nana Carter Jonathan King and especially David Davis getting plenty of games) I reckon If I really tried for results we could maybe have finished about 17th.

The cups were the only dissapointment, a mixture of injuries and missed chances meant me had a dismal season in this department, and the money would've been brilliant.

Players wise, some decent positives, Kurtulus what an improvement, a fine season and he has improved nicely. Interestingly, our best 5 players where all regens:

Kurtulus - 6.99

Jones - 6.98 (Also player of the season)

Kelly - 6.94

Stevenson - 6.92

Suckling - 6.90

Predicted Finish: 24th

Actual Finish: 21st - League Table

FA Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Mansfield

League Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Southampton

Johnstone's Paint: Sth Quarter Final - Lost to Bournemouth

23rd of June Balance: £511k

End of Season Stats

Top Scorer: Danny Kelly (17)

Top Assists': Ryan May (6)

Highest Av. Rating: Furkan Kurtulus (36 Apps, 6.99 Av.Rating)

Most MOTM: Danny Kelly (7)

Yellow Cards: Suckling (16!) - and two red cards to boot.

Also, Big News - Balance was up to 599k, I asked for youth improvements, none, asked for training improvements, and this happened! Great news, anyway I can see how much it is going to cost me?

Code:

Season League Position Achievements

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2009/10 Blue Square South 11th None

2010/11 Blue Square South 7th None

2011/12 Blues Square South 4th Promoted Via Playoffs

2012/13 Blue Square Premier 6th None

2013/14 Blue Square Premier 18th None

2014/15 Blue Square Premier 5th Promoted Via Playoffs

2015/16 Coca Cola League Two 21st Upgrade to training facilities

I've always been useless with tactics, Never know what to do. As a goalkeeper myself i've never even worked with tactics in real life. I've found going attacking at home always works well. And my form away from home is just absolutely shocking, Have you some tips on away tactics? Also do you set your tactics every player separately? before every game?

Mate, Im certainly not brilliant with tactics either, I have a 'base' 442 tactic almost, and just tweak it slightly with what I see on the pitch, and the players that I am using, Eg if i have a quick winger, i like him to run at his defender and beat him, for example left winger Orlando Smith, whilst on the right I have Joe Roberts, a good technical player with not much pace. I use him to work hard, help defend my fullback - a very attacking one (Ryan Stevenson), and him to cross from deep and not to dribble for too long.

Im not great but I can looking and tweaking and its doing ok for me at the minute. Just like you, im pretty rubbish away, i usually stick with the same tactic as i cant be bothered to change, then just change 20 minutes into the game when im getting battered! :D

I'm going down. Just gave away a 3 goal lead against Braintree. Totally dominated the match, This was at home aswell. Now just won 6 games, Lost 9, and drawn 11!!!

I'm just 1 point off relegation zone with 2 of them teams below having a game in hand. Can't buy a win, And i've only 2 points away from home all season (my next 3 fixtures away from home)

a good bit of news, is that all my players contracts that were expiring, all the ones i wanted to keep have signed new 1-year-deals. Also 33 year-old midfielder Alan Pouton has accepted a deal which he becomes a player-coach. Although stats wise he's awful as a coach, He becomes my first coach and has 16 in determination.

Staines 2016/17 Pre Season Report:

So then, whats been going on? Well firstly, the youth intake:

David Symes: Not much going for him, aside from his brilliant natural fitness. If I was in the BSS still id probably play him as a nutter in the centre of the park to run and run. In league two? no chance. He will get his two years, but almost certianly will go at 18.

Richard Ogden: Not too bad, but wont get much of a chance unless we get relegated.

David Sutton: Again, not good enough by the looks of it, his jumping of 13 wouldve given him a chance in the BSS, not league two.

George Gale: Again, a shame, as a quick right winger wouldve been useful. Not terrible and his 17 for teamwork is useful, but is going to struggle to make an impact.

Chris Hughes: The star, and picked out by Maskell as the one to watch. Hes straight into the first team squad and looks promising. Will certainly get some game time.

Pretty poor bunch and only 5 of them, although Hughes looks good. These youth facilities need upgrading and quickly.

Club News:

Steven Piper, a left winger who came through in 2013 and is now 19 was released, joining him were a few familiar names:

Marc Charles Smith, now 31 has gone, I need all the money I can get and im becoming a bit ruthless - hes not good enough although he always used to have one spell a season where he scored goals. Never a consistant starter, his modest record of 18 goals in 131 appearances looks dreadful, but are slightly misleading.

Tony Murray was the final player to leave, a versatile youth player I always liked him on the bench. Played 79 games in his 6 years here.

Youngsters David Davis (from last years crop) and Gary Duncan have left on loan, to Ashford Middx in the BSS, and Rushden in the BSP respectively.

Friendlies:

Staines 0 - 4 Leicester City

Staines 4 - 0 Walsall

Staines 0 - 0 Arsenal u 18's

Staines 1 - 1 Arsenal

Staines 0 - 2 Leyton Orient

Staines 3 - 1 Luton Town

Grays 1 - 0 Staines

Farnborough 1 - 2 Staines

Not bad, the arsenal result was superb, they fielded a very good squad too. Kelly was again the man to watch, 5 goals in 5 games for him.

First Eleven:

GK: Nana Carter*

DL: Ryan Stevenson*

DR: Lee Hutchinson*

DC: Simon Suckling*

DC: Furkan Kurtulus*

ML: Ryan May*

MR: Joe Roberts

MC: Dean Thomas

MC: Phil Jones*

SC: Danny Kelly*

SC: Lewis Smith

Will probably be it. Quite amazing that a side with 8 youth graduates of such a poor facility are battling it out in league two.

Merthyr 2019/20 Season Update - League One

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2019/20 - Leagoe One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

After gaining promotion to League One last season, I was expecting a relegation battle this season, but it never really happened. A good start saw Merthyr in 8th place by Christmas, and whilst their form dropped off in the 2nd half of the season they still finished a respectable 16th, 12 points clear of relegation.

2020 League Table

Apart from the decent (if unspectecular) leage form, the other highlight of the season was the teams decent cup form, making the 3rd Round of both the FA Cup and Carling Cup, beating Premier League Bolton 1-0 in the process! And in the JPT, I made the Semi Final South, where I was drawn against League Two Brentford, a fantastic oppertunity to make the final. However, despite dominating the game I could only manage a 2-2 draw and lost 3-4 on penalties - a wasted oppertunity for some more silverware.

The 2020 seasonal best XI

Also, one bonus of being in League One was that attendance and prizemoney was up on last season, resulting in the team making a tidy profit of over $2M this season - however still not enough to improve my facilities

2020 Finances

However, there was one negative to the season, and it was a big blow.

Despite trying to get my star defender Danny Wyatt to sign a contract for the past 2 seasons he simply refused, so in late April I finally gave him his wish and put him on the market. Despite several Scottish clubs trying to sign him on a bosman, he accepted an offer from Championship side Barnsley for $130k +50% sell on clause. As well as this, my 2nd best defender (Rob Simpson) broke his leg late in the season, and will miss the first 5 months of next season, so it will be interesting to see how the defence goes next season

Danny Wyatt: 468 games, 59 goals, 3 x BSP players Select, 4 x League 2 Players Select, 4 x Fans Player of the Year, Club Favoured Personnel - A true ledgend of Merthyr, he will be very difficult to replace

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 16th in League One

Average Attendance: 5,813

Most League Apperances for Club: Matthew Harris - 556

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 209

A note to anyone who may be following this, despite FM2010 coming out soon, I will be continuing the save, due to my policy of only buying every 2nd FM (I find the changes from year to year aren't that great). Whilst I could continue this save forever (or until I get fired), I have always wanted to get a player as close as possible to 1,000 appearances, and have earmaked a couple of players who have shown a lot of potential and earned a first team place early in their career. I will continue the save until all of these players have either retired or left the club.

The players I am following are:

Rob Simpson, DC, 27: 500 games in 11 seasons, has probably had too many injuries to get close to the 1,000 mark

Danny Wyatt, DC, 26: 468 games in 10 seasons, has had his last season at the club, however I'll continue to follow him at his new club to see how he goes

Chris Thompson, GK, 21: 241 games in 5 seasons. Averaging just under 50 games a season, he'll have to play over 20 seasons to get there, but if he stays injury free he just might get there

Matthew Harris, MC, 31: 649 games in 14 seasons. Doesn't have too many more seasons under the belt, but he should be able to reach 700 games, which I think would be a decent achievement

Another good season there Mark, Wyatt will be a big miss on the pitch Im guessing? Who will replace him? Finances are looking superb, surprised that you still havent been able to get anything upgraded. Half way through my second season in League Two im sitting n a comfortable mid table position after falling out of the playoffs due to an injury crisis. In good news the board very kindly let me know that my training facility upgrade was completed. About 650K in the bank now but still no budge on the youth facilities upgrade unfortunatly.

KUTGW mate.

Merthyr 2020/21 Season Update - League One

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation :(

After a solid first season in League One last season I was looking forward to more improvement as I have done most seasons, but the forced sale of my best defender (probably the best player to ever play for Merthyr), as well as a broken leg to my 2nd best defender, resulted in the team conceeding a League One (FM09) record 88 goals, and despite scoring the 6th highest number of goals for the season, the team ended 21st, 3 points short of saftey, with a 8-18-20 record.

Disapointing 2020/21 League One Table

Once again, the top scorer and fans player of the year was Marcus Griffiths, but given he is now 31 it is quite worrying how reliant the side is on him. With the board's minimum expectations being promotion next season and my squad being arguable weaker than it was when it took out League Two 2 seasons ago, next season could be make or break for me!

2021 Seasonal Best XI - Disapointingly no one averaged over 7, with 2 of my first choice defenders averaging under 6.6 - now that is a worry!

New Club Records

Highest Gate Receipts: $475,000 v Man Utd FA Cup 4th Round

Biggest Defeat: 8-2 v Watford (A) League One

Highest Scoring Game: 8-2 v Watford (A) League One

Highest Scoring League Game: 8-2 v Watford (A) League One

Most League Apperances for Club: Matthew Harris - 600

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 222

Highest Transfer Fee Received: $130,000 - Danny Wyatt to Barnsley

Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2020/12 Update

As mentioned previously, I have been tracking a few of my star players to see if any of them can get close to the magical 1,000 apperances mark. Here is the 2020/12 Update:

Matthew Harris, MC, 32: 701 apperances in 15 seasons - Has done well to reach 700, but is now fighting for a place on the bench, and is unlikley to reach 750 (unless there is an injury crisis)

Rob Simpson, DC, 28: 538 Apperances in 12 seasons - Once again had an injury interupted season, and is averaging less than 45 games a season - not going to get near 1,000 apperances at that rate!

Chris Thompson, GK, 22: 291 Apperances in 6 seasons - Still early into his career, but being a GK he could hopefully play into his late 30s

Staines Season Report 16/17

So, after a good solid opening season in League Two how could we follow up? Would the new training facilites show any major benefit? Would we be able to raise money for youth upgrades or not?

We started off in great form, and after 14 games we were flying and riding high in 4th position. We were turning games we wouldve drawn last season into wins, and Lewis Smith was in the form of his life, outscoring Kelly upfront, whilst at the back we had changed for the better, Suckling continued to be the rock, but the amazing improvement and dvelopments of Furkan Kurtulus meant he became his permanent defensive partner, and how he shone. Lee Hutchinson nailed down the right back spot and is really starting to show his worth, whilst previous right back Ryan Stevenson was booted to either left back or right wing where he had been newly trained.

Unfortunatly it couldnt last, a spell of difficult games led to a lack of confidence, and this came at the worst time as we were in the middle of an injury crisis. These things led us to a pretty steady decline in the table, where we evened out at about 12th place. That was on, but then my experimental side came out a bit and we dropped down to 16th, where we remained for the last 12 games, despite actually playing very very well in the late period of the season, something which gives me a lot of optimism for next season.

The cups were again a big big dissapointment, we got some really horrible draws, normally always away to a side in our league. This meant we were knocked out in the first round of both the FA and League Cups. A big shame.

Predicted Finish: 24th

Actual Finish: 16th - League Table

FA Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Bristol Rovers (away)

League Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Southend (away)

Johnstone's Paint: 2nd Round - Lost to Aldershot (away)

23rd of June Balance: £474k - £30K down on last season

End of Season Stats

Top Scorer: Danny Kelly (18)

Top Assists': Lewis Smith (11)

Highest Av. Rating: Lewis Smith (46Apps, 7.03 Av.Rating)

Most MOTM: Danny Kelly (5)

Yellow Cards: Suckling (11) - no reds this season for the crazy man that is our Simon.

Next Season Aim: Id take a midtable finish, say 11th If I push myself, a decent cup run is what im really after.

Code:

2016/17 Coca Cola League Two 16th None

Oh and unlucky Mark, so close to staying up aswell, must be a big blow, cant beleive you conceeded so many when you have such a brilliant keeper in goal.

Reckon you have what it takes to challenge at the top end of League Two this season? On my game there is quite a bit gap between the two divisions, but by the looks you're squad has weakened, I reckon it could be quite tough for you.

Keep plugging away though mate, its just you and me now by the looks! :D

Oh and unlucky Mark, so close to staying up aswell, must be a big blow, cant beleive you conceeded so many when you have such a brilliant keeper in goal.

Reckon you have what it takes to challenge at the top end of League Two this season? On my game there is quite a bit gap between the two divisions, but by the looks you're squad has weakened, I reckon it could be quite tough for you.

Keep plugging away though mate, its just you and me now by the looks! :D

If I ever get back into/ get time to play FM then ill do this.

Until then I will offer my support :D

Amazing stuff Marky Mark. I have not been able to get into FM09 in the slightest so never attempted it this season. :(

FM10 however will be a different matter especially after I've loaded all the English Leagues with the editor. ;) FM10 seems to run a whole lot quicker and smoother and clearly I believe I can at least finish a season this time. :D

Oh on a side note, originally I did not allow international management until the challenge of Premier League and Champions' League had been complete.

Merthyr 2021/22 Season Update - League One

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation :(

2021/22 - League Two, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, JPT Winners!, Automatic Promotion!

After relegation last season (my first ever in any FM series), the board were expecting promotion at the first attempt, which had me a little worried, given that last season I was still over-reliant on aging striker Marcus Griffiths and I still hadn't found anyone to fix up my leak defence.

However, it seemed I had nothing to worry about! Whilst my defence still wasn't fantastic, I found not one, but two players to step up in attack and not only assist Griffits, but repalce him, and between them they scored 44 goals! The two new strikers of the future for Merthy are:

Daniel Hudson - now 24 and having played over 300 games for Merthyr, he is not a new addition to the side, but this is the first season he has come out of Griffiths shadow and made his own mark on the team - and with 23 goals, 19 assits, and a rating of 7.19, he certainly made his mark. Also walked away with League 2 Top Goalscorer 3rd place and a place in the League 2 players select. Is wanted by several Championship sides and "Feels that he needs to leave to further his career"

Mark Quinn - At only 18, he has earnt himself a spot in the senior starting XI (as well as the Welsh U21 side, with 14 U21 caps to date), and excelled in his first season of regular senior football, scoring 21 league goals in only 37 apperances, earning him the League 2 Top Goalscorer, as well as a place in the League 2 Players Select. Is now wanted by several Championship sides

Due largely to those two players, as well solid performances from the rest of the team (although the defence was still a worry at times), the side had an excelent season which saw them sit in 2nd place for most of the season, only ever a few points from 1st place, but also only a few points ahead of 4th place, where I would then have to navagate the playoffs for promotion. In the end, I secured automatic promotion with 1 game to go, which was good as my final game of the season was against top placed Salisbury for 1st place in League Two. Merthyr lost 0-1, but had still done enough to secure 3rd place and promotion, ending 1 point clear of 4th placed Rotherham.

2022 League Two Table and Graph

Interestingly, my goal difference of +45 as +12 better than champions Sailbury, and my 88 goals were 27 more than they managed, and only 1 short of the League Two record.

Along with my 2 strikers Quinn and Hudson, wingers Jason Puncheon and Brian Parkinson also made the League 2 Players Select, and a total of 5 Merthyr players managed to average over 7.00 this season (note that no player managed that last season).

2022 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Note that despite Puncheon managing an average rating of 7.22 and picking up fans player of the year, he could not manage a place in the seasonal (or overall) best XI starting lineup, with the system opting for a left winger, 3 central midfielders, and no right winger - very strange...

Also, my finances hit the $4m at one stage, partly helped by 50% of Danny Wyatt's $1.6M move to Championship side Swansea, however still no improvement to the facilities - although instead of getting the usual message about not having enough funding, they now said that our facilities do not need improving.

2022 Finances

The was one more piece of good news, as if all that wasn't enough, and that was in the cups. We managed to get to the 3rd Round of the FA Cup (where we were dispatched by Everton), but in the Johnson's Pain Trophy, despite now being a League Two club, we made it all the way to the final in Wembly (due to a very favourable draw) where we were up against League One first placed Barnsley!

We played very well in the first half and in the 36th minute Hudson managed to put the side ahead, despite all of the experts saying we had no chance! Early in the 2nd half disaster struck when our best defender, Swann, received his 2nd yellow card and was sent off, and after that Barnsley dominated the game, but it wasn't until the 85th minute that they scored the equaliser. 1-1 is how it remained all the way to penalties, and amazingly the side cam through, wining 5-4 in penalites and walking away with the 'coveted' Johnson's Paint Trophy - the third trophy to add to their cabinet (after the FA Trophy in 2014 and League Two title in 2019).

2022 JPT Final stats

What a season, here's hoping we can last more than 2 seasons in League One this time around (as long as I can hold on to all of my squad I think I should be able to, but with many now wanted by several clubs it could be interesting)

New Club Records

Biggest Win: 7-0 v Kettering (H) League Two 11.9.2021

Most Assists: Jason Puncheon - 27

Most League Apperances for Club: Matthew Harris - 639

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 226

Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2021/22 Update

Matthew Harris, MC, 33: Now 33, and with his best days well and truely behind him, he still managed a credible 48 apperances last season (most off the bench), bringing his total to 749 and counting. Although his declining attributes no longer warrent him a spot in the team, I've got a feeling he might still get the odd game here or there to see if he can reach 800, which would be an amazing achievement

Rob Simpson, DC, 29: Has now complated 13 seasons with the club and managed 586 games, although this has been largley due to the lack of any other competition for the central defender role, with his best seasonal average rating over his 13 seasons being 6.87. Is now 29, so whilst he should have a few good seasons left (and they a few bad ones after that), he's not going to get close to the 1,000 mark, and may not even make it to Harris' current record.

Chris Thompson, GK, 23: Has only made 345 apperances (as well as 10 Welsh U21 apperances), but at 23 has a long career ahead of him (hopefully with Merthyr, but he does now have 7 clubs interested in him :( ). Currently averaging 50 games a season, he would need another 13 injury free seasons to get to the 1,000 mark - sure, it's unlikely, but you never know!

Thistles - Fair question, I would love for Wyatt to be in my starting XI given my defensive problems, but I had to sell him at the end of the 2019/20 season as he refused to sign a new contract.

It was metioned in passing, but I received $130k for him plus 50% sell on fee. As it turns out, he was sold 18 months later to Championship side Swansea for $1.6M, resulting in Merthyr collecting a total of $960k (AUD), not bad at all...

Well given that Tootie (6 apps @ 6.83), Beesley (9 apps @ 6.44) and McPherson (19 apps @ 6.68) were deemed more worthy in the overall starting XI lineup than Puncheon (379 apps @ 7.01), Thompson (345 apps @ 6.80) and Hunter (384 apps @ 6.86), I think it is fair to say there is something a little buggy with the overall best XI system.

I think it is due to him playing 5 seasons in the BSP (despite him also playing in League Two and League One), and the system deeming 6 games in League One being more important than 400+ in the lower leagues (although I'm not sure why Harris and Griffiths made the cut) - go figure?

SMSL - the creator of the original challenge (I think?), good to see you looking over my progress. I have to ask, is mine the first side to make it to the lofty hights of League One, or do I have to make it all the way to the Championship to set a new record?

As for the international management, it wasn't mentioned in the intro, so I thought I'd give it a go to make things a bit mroe interesting, but I haven't had much sucess so far as the Croatian squad is terrible (well that's my excuse, anyway), although the FA still expects to qualify easily for all major compititions, despite now being ranked 36th (they were in the top 10 when I took over).

FYI - My current internation history is:

Croatia - July 2014 to date

2016 Euro Championships - Qtr Finals

2018 World Cup - 3rd in Group E

2020 Euro Championship - DNQ (4th in Qualifiers group)

2022 World Cup - DNQ (lost in Qualifiers playoffs)

Despite my fairly poor record (well less than FA expectations) and my job often being insecure or very insecure after failing to qualify, come the start of a new year my job status resets to Stable, which is the only thing that has kept me in the Croatian job.

I am applying for every other international vacancy, as I am sure it's only a matter of time before I get the sack, but have not had any other international offers, despite my reputation now being National

Yes I will be starting this again for FM10... Will, great to see you're interest already - I too will be starting pretty early I think.

Im a little bit quizzical of starting it too early though, I think a challenge like this (Probably the most difficult challenge going on FM) Is one that people will probably take up when they have become a little bit bored of the game and seen it all. Maybe after 4 months of release Is when the majority will be taking it up.

However, I will be starting it, Im gonna say Ill put it up on Wednesday, Ive got about 2 more seasons I want to get through on this FM09 save, My current season im nearing the heavy hights of League One and I want to see what I can do If I get promoted. So Will, If you would happily keep your updates until then Id be very pleased! :thup:

However, I really was thinking about adding the entire league structure down to level 7 or level 9, as this would give players a big chance for early sucess and to create a massive history for the club, not just a few promotions.

What do people think, Im incredibly tempted.

Boston United - Blue Square North - 2010/2011 Season

After being predicted 15th, and with a relatively poor track record on FM, I was delighted with the season.

League Table - http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fmtable1.jpg

League Progress - http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fmprogress1.jpg

In with a chance of play-offs in the last few games, but injuries and poor form cost me. Still, a solid start. Nothing notable in the cups.

Squad - http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fmsquad1.jpg

No one outstanding, but hoping my youth academy can provide me with some decent talent for the future.

Transfers - http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fmtransers1.jpg

No one in, as promised.

Code:
    Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square North        8th          N/A 

Will look for promotion next season. A good start to my career, I feel.

Great work Mark, going straight back up I felt wouldve possibly been a bridge too far but you managed it! Also, the JPT win mustve been a great sucess, especially for the finances. The fact that you were getting results such as 7 - 0 wins it shows you obviousley have some real class. Puncheon's 27 assists is quite remarkable.

Unfortunatly you havent yet set the record for this challenge, but you have equalised it! - I took Gateshead to League One in both FM05 and FM07.

Staines Season Report 17/18

So, after a promising season in League Two last time around, how could we push on? We needed something after two quite mundane seasons, both we no cup runs whatsoever.

Well, we didnt have get it. Once again we started off brilliantly, and by the 10th game we were sitting 9th hovvering just outside the playoffs. However, unlike the previous seasons where we tailed off, this time we consistantly managed to cling on to our position outside the playoffs. The difference? Our away form. We were superb away from home, and check out this for a statistic - ashtonishingly we had the best away record in the entire league.

But still, with around 35 games gone it was tight at the top and we were around 4 points outside the playoffs positions, with a difficult run in, it looked like a good safe season would be the best we cope hope for. Or not - we went on a sensational run, and we lost just 1 game in our last 13, as we stormed our way up the league, eventually forcing our way into the playoff race with an unbeaten last 5 games - we won four of them, which saw us finish 5th, just 1 point off 2nd place and only 3 away from the leaders, Notts County.

In the playoffs I got a horrible draw - Chester City, my bogey side (we hadnt beaten them in our last 6 meetings) They play with one up top and a defensive midfielder, totally dominate possesion and I havent a clue how to counter it. It led to two mundane games - we drew 0 - 0 at the Deva Stadium, and a sell out at Wheatsheaf park in the return leg saw an early Lewis Smith goal was enough as a defensive Chester had no answer upfront.

In the final I got what I feel was another tough game - Kidderminster Harriers, a side who had battered us four nil at their place earlier on in the season. However, we started positvely and took a deserved lead when Phil Jones curled in a lovely 25 yarder. However, Kiddy started playing and dominated the second half, equalising early on when Nathan Lewis bundled in from close range. Extra time was upon us as neither side could force the winner, and penalties looked a certainty, until a superb moment - a great move ended in Furkan Kurtulus, who was playing right back picking up the ball, he beat two men, then from 18 yards blasted the ball into the top corner, a stunning goal, which deserved to win any match.

But how did we do it? Well simple, this was arguably my best season ever, certinaly my most enjoyable. We scored the most goals in the league, conceeded plenty, we brilliant to watch. EVERY last player did a great job for us, If you look at the overall season stats page, you will see how everybody contibuted, we spread out goals all over the team, defenders chipped in, from midfield we were superb, and it was the old timers who shone the most. Dean Thomas had the season of his life, 11 goals and 6 assists was a phenomoninal return, but Orlando Smith was the real surprising performer - dropped for the last two years he came back with a huge bang scoring 7 and adding 9 assists. Phil Jones continued his fine form with 9 goals, one of which was in the playoff final.

The cups were also hugely improved - despite losing in the first round of both the JPT and the League Cup, the FA Cup saw us go on a brilliant run. We started with a penalty vicotry against Charlton after 210 minutes of football produced just a goal apeice. We then got drawn against North Ferriby who actually gave us a real scare. We drew 0 - 0 at their place and easily couldve lost. We then scraped through at home, coming out 2 nil victors in extra time. We then faced Championship side Coventry, and we played superbly, goals from Furkan and a brace from Kelly saw us defeat them 3 - 2. Fourth Round now and a tough tie - away at Cardiff, also a championship side. We managed a brilliant 1 - 1 draw at their gaff, but the home leg and our luck ran out, and they cruised to a 2 nil win, although we did have chances. Still, a great cup run which will keep us financially secure for a long while.

Predicted Finish: 23rd

Actual Finish: 5th - League Table - Playoff Final

FA Cup: 4th Round Replay - Lost to Cardiff (home)

League Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Gillingham (home)

Johnstone's Paint: 2nd Round - Lost to Charlton (away)

23rd of June Balance: £697k - £223K up on last season

End of Season Stats

Season Defining Game - A great game, a vital 3 points, and sealed by two cracking goals. Jones curling a lovely goal in, and the second, in the 87th minute game came from youth product and just 16, Danny Cahill. One touch and finish from 25 yards was truly stunning to see.

Top Scorer: Danny Kelly (19)

Top Assists': Orlando Smith (9)

Highest Av. Rating: Phil Jones (54Apps, 7.09 Av.Rating)

Most MOTM: Danny Kelly (6)

Yellow Cards: Ramsey + Stevenson (8) - Where's Suckling gone?!

Next Season Aim: Survival!

Code:

2016/17 Coca Cola League Two 16th None

2017/18 Coca Cola League Two 5th Promoted Via Playoffs, FA Cup 4th Round

Great season there Ste.

I think if your going to extend it then only 1 or maybe 2 levels should be enough.

Also there is no harm in starting it early so people can see it then pencil it in for later or maybe get going straight away.

Archived