SIMPLICITY - How to make a SOLID & SIMPLE 4-4-2 set

Hi, great opening post. I've done it with Ipswich on Default database but not getting great results. I'm crap with tactics on FM so thought this might help me but not a great start. I'm able to shoot alot, but poor finishing and lack of possesion (Usually 40-45/55-60 in oppositions favour) any advice on how to improve? I would post screenies but printscreen's being a nuisance.

Friendlies:

0:1 Fenerbache H

0:1 Scunny A

1:1 Rochdale A

0:1 West Ham H

0:1 Cheltenham A

0:1 Watford H(League)

3:0 Dagenham/Redbridge A(League cup)

0:2 Southampton A

First Choice XI

GK Richard Wright

RB Moritz Volz

LB Razvan Rat

CB Ivan Campo

CB Alex Bruce

MR David Norris

ML Mohammed Abou Trika

CMd Owen Garvan

CMa Alan Quinn/Henri Lansbury

FCd Daniel Aquino

FCa Jonathan Walters

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to say jm_itfc with the information you have given.

I would guess that team gelling is pretty low. This could be the key to your side picking up some form.

Check your team gelling by going to assistant feedback. If you are below 'good' gelling then you can expect considerable improvement. Keep things consistent and try to get to 'good' team gelling as soon as possible.

Other than that, watch the highlights and look at the basics. Can you see anything going wrong in terms of marking or closing down, for instance?

You've only played a few competitive games so I would keep things consistent tactically and ride through this difficult patch, unless you see anything major going wrong on the pitch. You'll probably find performances getting better and better as team gelling picks up.

Hope that helps.

C.

Difficult to say jm_itfc with the information you have given.

I would guess that team gelling is pretty low. This could be the key to your side picking up some form.

Check your team gelling by going to assistant feedback. If you are below 'good' gelling then you can expect considerable improvement. Keep things consistent and try to get to 'good' team gelling as soon as possible.

Other than that, watch the highlights and look at the basics. Can you see anything going wrong in terms of marking or closing down, for instance?

You've only played a few competitive games so I would keep things consistent tactically and ride through this difficult patch, unless you see anything major going wrong on the pitch. You'll probably find performances getting better and better as team gelling picks up.

Hope that helps.

C.

From team talk feedback:

"Bryan Klug reports that morale amongst the players is very good at the moment."

"Bryan Klug believes our current players are some way short of operating as a unit".

Is it just a matter of patience this really? Or can it be improved by anything i.e. Abou Trika is my sole Egyptian in the team, if I got another it may help?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Some way short of operating as a unit is one of the worst ratings, usually due to making a high number of new signings.

It's a case of patience, trying to keep your team consistent, trying to bed in your new signings as soon as possible and also trying to keep morale up during the gelling process.

You could try dropping a few new signings and bringing in one or two players who have been at the club for a long time. That might make a short-term difference.

Personally, I would just keep the team consistent and try to get the best results I can over the next 15-20 games. Depending on the group of players you have, you may be comfortably gelled before Christmas.

Good luck!

C.

Some way short of operating as a unit is one of the worst ratings, usually due to making a high number of new signings.

It's a case of patience, trying to keep your team consistent, trying to bed in your new signings as soon as possible and also trying to keep morale up during the gelling process.

You could try dropping a few new signings and bringing in one or two players who have been at the club for a long time. That might make a short-term difference.

Personally, I would just keep the team consistent and try to get the best results I can over the next 15-20 games. Depending on the group of players you have, you may be comfortably gelled before Christmas.

Good luck!

C.

Thanks for the advice, I brought 5 & sold 5 so that would explain, I'll keep you updated with it:)

Many thanks.

Crouch:

Just wanted to compliment you on this thread and your tactics. I am not one to throw compliments around but I feel you deserve the praise.

I have never been one to use other peoples tactics or even a 4-4-2 formation always preferring a 3-4-3, 4-3-3 or Danish 4-2-3-1. The problem with these formations in my opinion is that they work better with the more skilled players ie: top divisions. I have had limited success bringing teams up from the lower leagues in the past but not as often as I would have liked. I stumbled across your write-up on the 4-4-2 and decided to give it a go for a lifetime game. I started unemployed with English leagues loaded down to div 1. I received an offer from Yeovil. With no money to spend and a couple of loan players we won the league after a prediction of 19th. I am looking forward to see where this goes.

In my other challenge for your tactic I played with Everton as they have very little money to spend and felt it would be a good challenge. I bought a mc from United - Possebon _ and in many games had to play my youngsters but ended up finishing 3rd in the first season. I would say pretty darn good.

I made no tweaks to your tactics for either team from your original template only adding my own training, and corner, free kick, throw in tactic.

I am also impressed with flow of the games and it is quite attractive football at times.

Again - well Done!

Crouch:

Im hoping you can give me a little advice please?

I have come across a couple of teams that the the scout report shows the following:

team plays a defensive 4-4-2> their pitch is narrow which suits teams that play predominately through the middle> they dont play a particular passing style and like to mix it around a bit. a possible weakness could be their defence and they look vulnerable to pace and crosses in the box. importan to defend deep or use fast defenders

i have used both balancedand defensive at home and away. I appreciate any advice?

Generally, I'd go more attacking when the scout tells that the team are defensive. At home, I would personally say definitely attack. Away from home, it's more about weighing up the risk and looking at your opponents, who may change tactics and become more attacking.

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=3633964&postcount=484 - This post might be helpful advice for you.

Hope that helps.

C.

many thanks

Generally, I'd go more attacking when the scout tells that the team are defensive. At home, I would personally say definitely attack. Away from home, it's more about weighing up the risk and looking at your opponents, who may change tactics and become more attacking.

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=3633964&postcount=484 - This post might be helpful advice for you.

Hope that helps.

C.

hi, i have started a new game as sunderland and i really want to succeed with them, and i am using ur guide to help me through my tactic/formation, i used your basic tactic (def, balanced, att) sets before wen i was derby, and i played upfront nathan tyson (who i bought) cos he was fast, (so could run past players), good dribbling, good off the ball skills and commons who was more creative, can finish , good long shots etc. so i worked ok.

However now i am sunderland i have two good players in Jones and Darren Bent, as i no bent is very fast, and can play that tyson role very well, i havent got a creative forward, but Jones is a big strong powerful player who can hold up the ball,

Can you help Crouchinho to help me figure out what i can change for the partnership to work.

cheers

Mdbraddock

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I wanted to post a thankyou crouchaldinho, for this excellent thread.

I've adapted your system to my BSS team's 4-5-1 tactic and what a difference it made. Like watching a team that actually know how to play football :D It was a pleasure to watch in Full Match mode rather than a drawn-out pantomime of missed opportunities! I've only tried the Balanced tactic so far, will be testing the Defence version next in a friendly.

It made me realise the small but essential flaws in my previous tactics in which I'd relied too much on the TC to decide for me. Tempo and Passing were either too high to pass accurately or too low to maintain possession. Fixing those to medium (my team dont have the brains or the brawn for much else) and tweeking a few instructions for individuals such as reducing creative freedom and forward runs made a massive difference.

I totally recommend this approach for any other managers struggling with FM 10 in the Lower Leagues.

Archived