MC - Sido Jombarti

ST - Charlie Griffin

ST - Greg Palmer

S1 - Paul Tate (GK)

S2 - Ryan Mullan

S3 - Anthony Taylor

S4 - Ashleigh Evans

S5 - Kaid Mohamed

Young Ashleigh Evans replaced Craig Hughes on the bench. Otherwise its the same team.

We started well and used the whole pitch to our advantage. Fowler's long ball out wide behind the rightback allowed Richard Evans to get in a cross to Griffin, who was tripped by O'Brien to give us a penalty after only 14 minutes. Griffin stepped up and sent a low shot into the bottom righ hand corner of the goal. Bishop's only chance came after 20 minutes with a goal mouth scramble, after some scary moments the ball was finally cleared by Nicholas out for a throw in.

We continued to play a nice passing game in the 2nd half but the 2nd goal had a bit of luck in it. Fowler's freekick deflected off the wall and fell for Sam O'Sullivan, who took the ball into the box before shooting. The ball took a deflection off O'Brien and this took the ball past the Bishop's goalkeeper.

We move up to 3rd in the league.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first attempt at story writing. I'll be using FM08 version 8.02 with the English leagues down to the conference north/south and the Welsh Premier loaded. All players from England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have been loaded.

Sat 7th July 2007

I couldn’t believe this was real. He I am, sat opposite Chris Blight, the Newport County chairman signing a 4 season deal to become the manager of the club I’d supported all my life. I’d only gotten my coaching badges weeks before. It was a dream come true.

Peter Beadle, the previous manager had resigned less than 24 hours ago citing personal problems and the board wanted a new man in charge as soon as possible. Id only applied as a joke thinking that with no experience id be lucky to get a “thank you for applying†letter. I had handed my CV personally to the Chairman as he was entering the ground the same time as I had gone over.

The board had told me that within 4 years they wanted Newport County to survive in the Conference National and that the target for this season was to challenge for the league and at least reach the play-offs. Having watched the players for years I knew what type of job I had. So once the press had their photo’s and comments, I called the backroom staff in to introduce myself. The players had been called in and a meeting with them was due this afternoon. My backroom staff were

Scott Young – Assistant Manager – Ex Cardiff City player who famously scored the winner against Leeds United in the FA Cup.

Mark Ovendale – Player / Coach – Played league football for Bournemouth, Luton and York as well as in Europe for Barry Town. Plans to retire from playing in December 07.

Bobby Morris – Coach – Ex Llanwern and Newport YMCA Manager who has been with the club for 6 years as a coach.

Tony Pennock – Player / Goalkeeping Coach – Returned to Newport after resigning as player / manager of Port Talbot Town.

John White – Youth Coach – Been with the club for over 7 years working with the Academy. Well respected by the younger players.

Glyn Jones – Youth Coach – Head of the Academy and my choice to manage the U18’s. Well respected at the club.

Russell Jones – Physio – Assistant to head physio Tommy Cosh.

Tommy Cosh – Physio – Newport’s match day physio. Had spells with Cwmbran and Merthyr before joining Newport in 2006.

Kevin Morris – Scout – Former Port Talbot Town and Carmarthen Town Manager who keeps on the lookout for talent in the Welsh league.

That afternoon I met with the 1st team. I explained my plans for the season ahead and that all I wanted was 100% from them. They seemed happy enough and after an hour of chatting we headed out to do a little pre-season training. I was impressed with them all. The first team is

Goalkeepers

Mark Ovendale – 33 year old and last seasons 1st choice keeper. Retires in December

Tony Pennock – 36 year old back after a year out injured and a short term as Port Talbot Town.

Glyn Thompson – 26 year old new signing choosing to compete for a first team place with County rather than remain as reserve keeper at Hereford United where he had been for the previous season.

Defenders

Shane Brewer – DL – 18 year old from the academy in his 2nd year at club. Looking to break into 1st team

Paul Cochlin – DRC/DM – Tall 23 year old defender who will miss 1st 2 months with a broken ankle.

Mark Dodds – DC/ST – 27 year old new signing who has spent most of his career as a striker in the Welsh league. Volunteered to play in defence for a few games with Carmarthen Town last season and hasn’t looked back.

Ian Hillier – DRC/WBR – 27 year old who came though the ranks at Tottenham. A key player at either right or centre back.

Lee Jarman – SW/DC – 29 year old who was many had high hopes of becoming a rock in defence for club and country while at Cardiff City. Ended up slipping down the leagues and joined Newport in the summer from Weston-Super-Mare.

Steve Jenkins – DR/WBR – 34 year old with 16 caps for Wales. Coming to the end of his career.

Damon Searle – DL/MC – 35 year old and former Cardiff City player. Another coming to the end of his career.

James Simpson – DR/WBR/AMR – 18 year old who was snapped up when Cardiff City released him near the end of last season. Looking to push into the 1st team this season.

Midfielders

Jason Bowen – AMR – 34 year old with 2 caps for Wales. Playing for his third Welsh club after starting with Swansea and later playing for Cardiff. Also played in the premiership while on load at Southampton.

Nathan Davies – DM – 25 year old who came through the academy. Newport’s all time record appearance maker with over 250 to date.

Richard Evans – AML – 24 year old who has dropped down the leagues. Played reserve football for Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday and Shrewsbury before joining Newport last season.

Lee Fowler – MC – 24 year old with 9 U21 caps for Wales. Signed near the end of last season from Conference Premier side Burton Albion.

Kris Leek – AMRLC – 19 year old academy player who spend last season on load at Cwmbran Town. Looking to break into the first team this year.

Sam O’Sullivan – AMRL/ST – 20 year old academy player who has had two separate loans at Merthyr Tydfil. Hoping to cement a place with Newport this year.

Forwards

Julian Alsop – ST – Tall 34 year old ex league player in his second year with Newport. Has lost a lot of pace and will be used as backup this season.

Jermaine Clarke – ST – Tall 23 year old new signing from Bromsgrove Rovers.

Charlie Griffin – ST – 28 year old in his second season with Newport. Newport’s most valuable player according to the backroom staff.

Craig Hughes – ST – 28 year old in his third season with Newport. Signed from Port Talbot Town in the Welsh league.

Once I had met the players I then went to see what the previous manager had left me with regarding friendly matches. I was delighted. I had a real mix in which to assess my squad. The games were

Sat 14 July – Manchester United Reserves – Home

Wed 18 July – Leek Town – Away

Sat 21 July – Merthyr Tydfil – Away

Mon 23 Jul – Caersws – Away

Thur 26 July – Fields Park Pontllanfraith – Away

Sun 29 July – Stafford Rangers – Home

Wed 1 Aug – Colwyn Bay – Away

Sat 4 Aug – Cwmbran Town - Away

Sat 14 July 2007

Newport County 0

Manchester United Reserves 6

D Welbeck (6)(66), C Eagles (9)(49), D Fangzhuo (55), D Drinkwater (57)

I expected us to fall to a heave defeat against a reserve but strong Manchester United team. However, I was very pleased that while we didn't score, we kept going forward looking for openings and not once did I see a County player's head down. I was disappointed with the lack of support we recieved. Only 112 came to watch the match.

Sun 15 July 2007

After the poor support in the match with Manchester United’s reserves. I felt it was in the best interest of Newport County to terminate the link we had with them. The link was that in return for first choice on all players at Newport County, Manchester United would send a team down every pre-season. I have not yet decided if we will look at forming any links with any other club.

Mon 16 July 2007

The 2nd and 3rd rounds of the Setanta Shield have been drawn today. In the 2nd round we have been drawn away to Bognor Regis Town and if we get past them we are away again this time against the winner of the Bromley or Eastliegh match.

My scout has reported back on a left back who he believes could be better than our current choice. His name is Ian Turner of Goytre. Im going to attend the friendly between Goytre and Weymouth on Fri 20 July

Wed 18 July 2007

Leek Town 3

L Briscoe (1,70), M Trott (82)

Newport County 2

C Griffin (8), K Leek (74)

While I was pleased with the runout I was not pleased with the score and the first goal, scored after only 10 seconds. We recovered well and only our own fitness and lack of focus lost us this game. Griffin's and Leek's goals were well talken and I'll be looking for them to contrinue where they left off.

Fri 20 July 2007

When down to watch the Goytre and Weymouth friendly to watch this Ian Turner. Dispite him only playing the 1st 45 minutes I was impressed with what I saw. He played left side of a 3 man defence and did a good job at keeping the Weymouth winger in check. Will need to see him play a little more before I make a move for him. Gotyre won the game 1-0

Sat 21 July 2007

Merthyr Tydfil 3

C Steins (5), C Penny (83,85)

Newport County 3

C Hughes (8), R Evans (51), C Griffin (65)

Was annoyed that once again, lack of focus at the back allowed Merthyr to end the game level. I told the players after the match that they need to focus for the whole match. Still, another good workout for the lads.

Members of the local press had spotted my watching the Goytre match last night and rumors are flying high about a possible transfer.

Sat 21 July 2007

Tommy Cosh came to me late tonight. Kris Leek will be out for up to 2 months with a broken toe after a heavy tackle in the match with Merthyr.

Sun 22 July 2007

More injury news. Steve Jenkins will be out for 3 weeks with a damaged elbow.

On the transfer front I've send a bid to take Ian Turner on a one week trial to see how good he really is. Hoping to hear back from Goytre soon.

Mon 23 July 2007

Caersws 2

T Reynolds (24), S Butler (82)

Newport County 5

C Griffin (40, 52), C Hughes (57, 61, 63)

Our first win in a fantastic end to end game. After the match I told the players that if they played like that all season I'd be over the moon with them. Both Griffin and Hughes are pushing to become my main strikeforce.

In other news the groundsman has been told that for the season ahead, I want the smallist size pitch I can have. My reason was to put teams under pressure all over the pitch and to stop them passing the ball freely.

Thurs 26 July 2007

FP Pontllanfraith 2

D Smith (75), A Pennock (90 + 1)

Newport County 1

C Griffin (9)

My decision to play a defensive game after scoring backfired late on. I aimed to have my players control the game by possession after we scored just the 1 goal. We played well and it was only when I subbed the 1st team to a selection of reserve and U18 players did we become unstuck.

In transfer news Goytre have rejected our approach to talke Ian Turner on a weeks trial. Also, the press are talking about new signing after I was spotted at 2 games over the past 2 days. On tuesday I was at the Cwmbran vs Haverfordwest match and then on wednesday the Carmarthern vs Weymouth game.

Fri 27 July 2007

With just 2 weeks to the beginning of the season Newport County have been ranked as joint 4th favourite to win the Blue Square Conference South Division. The top 6 are :

6/4 - Havent and Waterlooville

6/4 - Braintree

6/4 - Bishop's Stortford

7/4 - Newport County

7/4 - Welling United

7/4 - Eastbourne Boro

I responded to this by saying that with hard work and a little luck we could be up there near the end of the season.

Sun29 July 2007

Newport County 1

N Davies (35)

Stafford Rangers 1

S Hopkinson (70)

Nathan scored a fantastic 45 yard stike after the Rangers 'keeper messed up on a clearence.

After the game Tommy Cosh told me that after a bad tackle by one of the Nuneaton players, our first choice left winger, Richard Evans, will be out for up to a month with a fracturad arm.

Over the past few days I was able to watch some of our league rivals. on friday I caught a very impressive Bath beat Nuneaton 3-0 and then a very un-impressive proformance by Weston-Super-Mare in their 2-1 defeat away to Tredegar.

Wed 1 Aug 2007

Colwyn Bay 2

S Wynne (7), D Wright (50)

Newport County 2

C Griffin (32), M Cummings (90 + 2)

With the current injurys to key players i made a choice to throw on a young winger be the name of Martin Cummings and he repayed me with a hard low shot across the keeper and into the net. We didn't deserve to take anything from this game as the Bay out played us for most of the match. With only 1 friendly left before the start of the season I've got my first team set in my mind. Only hope they are all fit come the day.

Newport have announched that the bonuses for the league and cups will be as follows.

League - High bonues of 7k if the league is won

Cups - Medium bonues of 26k if any cup is won

Sat 3 Aug 2007

Cwmbran Town 3

M Revins (41, 71), L Parry (74)

Newport County 1

C Hughes (10)

For our last friendly I when ahead and treated it as a league game, only naming 5 subs and bringing on only 3. Cwmbran chose to name a whole new 11 for the second half and their fitness proved our undoing as there yound squad ran though our defense. Im not do downhearted, all the players know that the results of the past month were not important and that the season starts one week from today at home against Hayes & Yeading.

Our pre-season fixture list ended

P 8, W 1, D 2, L 5, GF 15, GA 22

Sun 4 Aug 2007

The board today chose that the first league game at home against Hayes & Yeading will be a fans day. All locals have been encouraged to apply for free tickets to the game. We are now hoping for a extra large crowd to kick our season off with a bang.

Mon 6 Aug

Today i announced that defender Ian Hillier will be club captain for this season. I was impressed with his attitude over the last month. Nathan Davies has been selected as vice-captain.

Tue 7 Aug 2007

Steve Jenkins has started back with full training today after his injury in pre-season. while not fully fit, im hoping for him to play some role come saturday.

Sat 11 Aug 2007

Blue Square South League Game 1

Newport County 1

L Jarman (36)

Hayes & Yeading 0

Att - 1256

While only one goal was in it in the end this game was all Newport for large periods. After 6 minutes Griffin bundled the ball over the line only for the ref to rule a foul on the keeper. Jarman's goal came after a corner was poorly cleared to the edge of the box where Jarman half vollyed it back and into the bottom left hand corner.

In the second half we continued to push for a second and almost had it when on 56 minutes Craig Hughes broke past the defence and slotted the ball under the keeper, however the lineman was on hand to call the game back for offside against the Welsh striker. Hughes almost scored on 60 minutes when a almost perfect chip over the H&Y keeper just floated a second to long and came back off the post. With less than 10 minutes left I changed our tatics and we saw out the game to win our first league game of the season.

Thanks displaced_seagull. Im hoping to increase the amount of stuff in the posts now that the season has started. Im also trying to keep myself from buying players I've had in previous games and only looking at players that my scouts have recommended to me.

Bluebirds4life, thanks but I've always found that whenever I bid on Calliste in other games he's always opted for higher league clubs.

Mon 13 Aug 2007

Blue Square South League Game 2

Bognor Regis Town 1

I Hillier (11 OG)

Newport County 2

J Alsop (50, 69)

Att - 476

A real game of two halfs as Bognor played us off the park in the 1st and could have gone in 2 or 3 up. They took the league on 11 minutes after L Nightingale's shot inside the area took a deflection of I Hillier and passed the keeper. Nightingale almost made it 2 on 20 minutes after he met a cross and smashed the ball only for it to rebound back of the keepers right post.

At half time I replaced C Hughes with J Alsop because Hughes had picked up a knock near the end of the half.

Within 5 minutes of the restart Alsop found a little pace to skip past his marker and round the keeper to score his 1st goal of the season. Our delight turned to dispare after a late tackle on midfielder N Davies left him with a facial injury and resulted in reshuffling the pack. S Jenkins came on at right back and I moved J Simpson into midfield to replace Davies. On 69 minutes we scored our winner after J Bowen's corner was heading in at the near post by J Alsop. Bognor started to push us for the last 20 minutes of the match and with 10 minutes left we changed our tatics and were once again able to ride out the storm and collect the 3 points on offer. A good result against a team tipped to be up the top come the end of the season.

Tue 14 Aug 2007

With our game on saturday being at home against Eastleigh I took the time to go check them out in their match against Havent & Waterlooville. The score ended 2-0 in favour of Eastleigh and we'll need to be on guard if we want to overcome them.

In injury news while C Hughes will be fit for the Eastleigh game N Davies will not, he will be out for about 2 weeks with a facial injury.

Sat 18 Aug 2007

Blue Square South League Game 3

Newport County 2

C Griffin (63), D Searle (90)

S Jenkins injured (8), M Dodds injured (32)

Eastleigh 2

J Brown (17), K El Salahi (37)

I was expecting a physical match but not this. Jenkins was hit hard in the head after only 8 minutes and was unable to continue. This ment a reshuffle of our back line with Dodds coming on in his place and then moving Hillier to right back and Dodds to partner Jarman in the centre.

On 17 minutes the ref gave what looked a harse free kick just inside the D to Eastleigh, Brown hit it straight at the wall and the deflection took it past Thompson in the County goal.

Our back line was reshuffled again on 32 minutes when another hard tackle left sub Dodds flat out on the floor. With no other centre back on the bench I moved Simpson from centre midfield to right back and put Hiller back at centre. J Clarke came on in Dodds place and we switched to a 433.

While we tried to get used to the new formation, Eastleigh doubled their lead when El Salahi found space from a poor defensive header and slotted the ball past the keeper.

At half time I questioned the lads passion and told them that both injurys where not as bad as first thought (what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them for now). We came out second half and looked more hungry straight away.

On 63 minutes Griffin gave us a lifeline when Clarke's pass behind the back 4 was met by Griffin who slotted the ball under the on-comming keeper.

We kept our 433 formation and brought Alsop on for Hughes on 70 minutes. With the 3 target men up front we where able to stop Eastleigh going forward and as the clock entered the 90th minute we won a freekick some 30 yards from goal. D Searle stepped up and with almost all the team on the edge of the box Searle chose to smash the ball as hard as he could. The ball took a slight deflection off the wall and bounched just infront of and then over the diving keeper to save us a point.

Sat 18 Aug 2007

Injury Update

After the match Tommy Cosh phoned me from the hospital, Jenkins had suffered a concussion and would be out for about 2 weeks. The bad news came when I asked about Dodds, X-rays showed a fractured skull and the lad was out of action for about 3 months.

Fri 24 Aug 2007

Relish's view on Newport

With Newport traveling to Bath tomorrow Bath's manager John Relish, has been reported in saying that dispite Newport's recent injury crisis that they were the team to watch this season. He went on to say that Newport have no weaknesses and would be in the promotion hunt come the end of the season. Relish is from Newport and an ex player and manager of Newport County

I replyed that I hope the best team win on the day and that because I had watched Relish in his playing days and when he managed the County that I admire his ability

Sat 25 Aug 2007

Bath City 4

D Bastow (19), S Partridge (45+1 Pen), D Gilroy (82), S Rogers (90+2)

Newport County 1

J Clarke (64)

C Hughes injured (22)

Att - 556

Our 3 match unbeaten run came crashing down at Twerton Park when Bath's physical side exploited the slighty weakened Newport team. With the current injury list I had to move Simpson back to right back to try and keep a strong back line. This however left a gap in midfield which I gave to academy player Ashleigh Evans. Reserve defender Danny Brimfield made the bench.

Bath gave us an early warning of what was to come when S Partridge scored on 7 minutes only for the lineman to rule it offside (but only just). It didn't take them long to score as on 19 minutes another poor defensive header fell to midfielder D Bastow who powered home a goal from the edge of the D.

On 22 minutes our injury list grew again when Hughes pulled up holding his leg and limped off. I threw young Clarke on in his place.

As we entered injury time the ref gave Bath a pen after Jarman was judged to have pulled Gilroy's shirt. S Partridge sent the keeper the wrong way to score Bath's 2nd of the match

At half time I demanded that the team to show me more hunger on the field, we were 2nd best all half.

We started better and got ourselfs back in the match on 64 minutes when Griffin's pass was timed well be Clarke who found himself one on one with the Bath keeper. He fired high and the ball sailed into the right hand side of the goal. 2-1 Minutes later we changed to a 433 formation and swapped midfielder A Evans (who had played well) with J Alsop. But Bath must have seen us do this agaisnt Eastleigh and didn't start to defend their lead.

D Gilroy ended the game on 82 minutes when he skipped past his marker and fired a low hard shot in from the edge of the area. With this I chose to replace the poor D Searle with young S Brewer for the last few minutes but Bath didn't let up, and 2 minutes into injury time S Rogers scored the best goal of the night with a half volley from the edge of the D.

We simply were 2nd best all game.

Injury update

Craig Hughes's leg was not as bad as first thought. He has a dead leg and will be out for about a week.

Sun 26 Aug 2007

Injury Update

Left winger Richard Evans and vice captain Nathan Davies have today restarted training after their injurys.

Transfer News

Goytre today announched that Welsh Premier League side Caersws and bid 1k for left back Ian Turner. I've thought long and hard about this lad and have deceided to put a bid in for him. However, I've chosen not to offer cash up front but a friendly instead.

Mon 27 Aug 2007

Blue Square South League Game 5

Newport County 3

A Evans (5), J Clarke (12), J Bowen (29 Pen)

L Fowler injured (53)

Cambridge City 1

S Wall (79)

Att - 746

The defeat against Bath effected our attendence as for the first time it dropped below the 1000 mark at home. However, we returned to winning was with a impressive display.

Ashleigh Evans started his 2nd league game and looked a class act, scoring with just 5 minutes on the clock. A poor clearence bounched just infront of Evans and with 1 touch to control it fired a low shot across the keeper and into the goal. Evans was again involved with Clarke's goal on 12 minutes. Evans picked up the lose ball and his pass found Clarke inside the area. Clarke was able to turn and lose his marker, then fired a shot through the keeper's legs to score County's 2nd of the night. On 28 minutes Griffin was tripped while waiting for Bowen's corner to come in and Jason Bowen stepped up to score his 1st of the season and County's 3 goal of the game. As the clock counted down the seconds till half time, Cambridge striker Roach found himself unmarked but his shot crassed against the post.

With less than 10 minutes gone in the 2nd half we were once again forced to make a change. This time a heavey tackle on Lee Fowler ended with the physio calling for a stretcher. Nathan Davies came on making his return from injury. The 2nd half continued with the ball being bogged down in midfield until on 79 minutes Wall was able to bend a free kick up and around the wall and bounched in of the keeper's left hand post. But this was no more than a consolation for Cambridge.

Injury News

Doctors have confirmed that Lee Fowler has suffered a torn calf muscle and will be out of action for about 5 months.

Transfer News

Struggling Blue Square Premier side Histon have been rumored in looking towards Newport County's captain Ian Hiller to bolster their defence. As yet, no offical statment form either team has been released.

Goytre have excepted Newport's offer for Ian Turner and Ian was at the Cambraidge match to discuss personal terms with County. Caersws's offer has also been excepted.

Blue Square South League Top 5

After 5 games here is the top 5 places in the league.

Team P W D L GF GA GD PTS

1 - Braintree 5 4 1 0 13 2 +13 13

2 - Dorchester 5 4 0 1 9 8 +1 12

3 - Fisher Ath 5 3 1 1 10 4 +6 10

4 - Hampton & R 5 3 1 1 12 8 +4 10

5 - Newport Co 5 3 1 1 9 8 +1 10

Wed 29 Aug 2007

Transfer News

Ian Turner has today signed for North Wales side Caersws after rejecting the offer from Newport County. The reason being that Caersws offered a 2 year deal whereas Newport only offered a deal till the end of the current season.

Sat 1 Sept 2007

Blue Square South League Game 6

Basingstoke 1

B Surey (78)

B Wells injured (25)

Newport County 1

J Bowen (27 Pen)

L Jarman S/O (58)

Before the match I was asked what I thought our chances were. I replyed that while Basingstoke are a good side, I felt that we could win if we played to our best.

Basingstoke started quicker and had a few half chances in the opening 20 minutes but the real action started on 35 minutes. Basingstoke's B Well's picked up a knock after a 50/50 ball with Newport's N Davies, which resulted in Well's being subbed soon after. 2 minutes later a cross from S O'Sullivan on he left was about to be met by C Griffin when a mistimed tackle tripped him up inside the area. J Bowen stepped up and sent a low hard pen to the keeper's right and put us 1-0 up.

At half time I encouraged the lads, while not having as much of the ball as I would have liked we had shown Basingstoke that we were no pushovers.

The 2nd half started a little slower but soon picked up on the hour mark when Jarman received his 2nd yellow card after an obstruction on the edge of the area. We sent on S Jenkins for A Evans to partner I Hillier at the centre of our defense and changed to a 432 formation. I was hoping to hold on to our 1 goal lead. With 15 minutes left I freshened up the team by making stright swops. J Alsop came on for J Clarke and young left back S Brewer came on for Searle.

Basingstoke's numerical advantage payed off when on 77 minutes B Surey lost his marker and found space from a corner to header Bastingstoke's equaliser.

We drop one place to 6th after this result.

Lee Jarman has been given a one match ban for his sending off against Bastingstoke. After the game I watched it back and found that both of Jarman's bookings where within 5 minutes of each other and for simular things. He was given an offical warning for his actions.

Sat 8 Sept 2007

Blue Square South League Game 7

Newport County 3

I Hillier (20, 39, 65)

Fisher Athletic 1

S Batt (82)

Att- 754

With Jarman suspended I brought in Danny Brimfield from the reserves. Brimfield is a simular player to Jarman and I was hoping that his lack of match fitness wasn't going to be an issue. Craig Hughes starts on the bench following his injury.

We started well, kept the ball and stretched the Fisher back line looking for an opening. It came on 20 minutes when Searle's inswinging corner from the right found Hillier who had lost his marker easy. He jumped high and set it back across the keeper to score his 1st of the season. Fisher didn't learn from their mistake and on 39 minutes, Hillier found the net again in a simular way. This time Bowen's inswinger from the left was flicked on by Hillier and into the far corner.

We continued to push in the second half and Captain Hillier compleated his hat-trick on 65 minutes when Bowen's freekick which bent round the wall was spilt by the Fisher keeper, Hillier had run from ou wide on the right in case a chance to quickly cross the ball back in but in this case he was able to pass the ball into the net.

With the game pretty much over I gave both Hughes and Jenkins a runout for Clarke and Simpson on 71 minutes and then brought Richard Evans on for Sam O'Sullivan on 78.

Fisher got a consolation goal on 82 minutes when a tired Danny Brimfield passed stright to Batt who round the keeper to score.

Special mention goes to Ashleigh Evans who, at a young age is really doing well in the heart of midfield alongside Nathan Davies.

Wed 12 Sept 2007

Defender Paul Cochlin has today started full training after 10 months out with a bad foot injury. Will still be a while before he is ready to return to the 1st team.

Sat 15 Sept 2007

Blue Square South League Game 8

Eastbourne Boro 1

S Ramsey (2)

Newport County 0

Att - 704

Jarman returned in place of Brimfield who dropped to the bench. With Griffin out Hughes starts.

The weather didn't help either team on this gusty afternoon. Eastbourne scored the only goal after only 2 minutes of play. Ramsey beat the offside trap and was able to slot the ball though Thompson's legs to give Eastbourne the lead. The 1st half ended up bogged down in a midfield battle.

At half time I wanted to see more from my players and told both wingers to push forward more to stop their fullbacks from causing trouble down the wings.

The 2nd half ended up like the first. The winds stop both teams using the high ball and with 20 minutes left I chose to throw on all 3 subs in 1 go. Hughes was out on his feet so Alsop came on for him. Richard Evans replaced Sam O'Sullivan and Steve Jenkins on for Bowen. Jenkins then swapped with Simpson.

It was a poor display and a reminder after our win against Fisher that we cannot take any team in this division for granted.

Mon 17 Sept 2007

Blue Square South League Game 9

Newport County 3

J Bowen (10 Pen), J Clarke (36), J Alsop (76)

Bromley 1

N McDonnell (84)

Att - 748

Bromley's poor away form continued as we return to winning ways with a game that we could have scored 5. 1 minute into the game a deep Simpson cross was headed on by Clarke but Alsop's powerful shot was well held by Bromley's keeper. 7 minutes later Bromley came close themselves when a deep cross was headed against the post by McDonnell. on 9 minutes Alsop was tripped when twisting and turning inside the penalty box and Bowen stepped up and placed the ball to the keepers right to put us 1-0 up.

On 22 minutes a long goal kick from Thompson was misread by the Bromley keeper who tried to pass his was out of trouble. Alsop easily stole the ball from under his feet but his long shot fell inches wide of the mark.

Bromley did try and get back into the match and thier best chance of the half came from a free kick some 40 yards out. A powerfull shot was saved at the last second by a full stretch Thompson.

Thompson was then involved in County's 2nd goal as another of his long goalkicks was flicked on by Alsop to give Clarke a 1 on 1 chance which he slipped past the keeper.

Bromley started quicker in the 2nd half and forced a point blank save from Thompson on 46 minutes. However, the game then seemed to slow down and on 71 minutes, I changed things up again. Jenkins came on for a tired Ashleigh Evans and swapped places with Simpson. Hughes came on for Clarke and Sam O'Sullivan replaced Bowen.

5 minutes later a fresh Hughes was able to take advantage of a quick counterattack and after drawing the keeper out of position was able to find Alsop who passed the ball into the open net.

Once again our defense was caught sleeping with the game almost over after McDonnell was able to lose his marker Jarman and score a goal.

FA Cup News

The 2nd round draw was today and we are away to Sittingbourne on the 29th Sept.

Thanks mark wilson27. Reading your story was a main reason why i gave this ago. From someone who's storys are always top quality that means alot.

Wed 19 Sept 2007

Transfer News

On returning from Llanelli after watching the Llanelli and Taffs Well reserve league match I found that 2 teams had placed offers for club captain Ian Hillier

Blue Square North teams Boston United and Kettering Town had both offered £9,000 for Hillier which I rejected without a second thought. He is indispensable to Newport at this moment in time.

Thurs 20 Sept

I spend the evening in Bristol at the Bristol City vs Evexter City reserve game. Bristol came out on top 7-0 and I was very impressed with some of their young squad. I have asked our scout to watch them over the next few weeks.

Archived