The 'Will my computer run fm09?' thread + system building advice.

Edit: Daylight, I've got plenty of space to work with, so I could care less. That and I just don't monitor it as it doesn't affect me performance wise. :)

You may think it doesnt and indeed maybe not now but it will,it would depend on the game's you play at at what level,regardless of that you should look into lowering that page file limit and even set it to half of what you are using.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footyking before you run out to buy a card make sure your board can support 1,also with some intregrated cards you will have to dis-able them for the new card to work.

My advice would be to take your system into a shop and NOT mess around with it yourself and tell the shop what you want,upgrading is only easy if you know what you are doing and if you dont could cost you alot more pain and cash...play it safe with your system.

You may think it doesnt and indeed maybe not now but it will,it would depend on the game's you play at at what level,regardless of that you should look into lowering that page file limit and even set it to half of what you are using.

Because you said it nicely, I'll lower it. :)

Does this mean any thing I try to download off the internet for a better Graphics System will not work?...Do I have to buy a New Graphics card!..I really don't want to ship out €500-€600 for a New and improved graphics card

You cant D/L a better graphics system,only the drivers(which wont help you).

You need a better card which has to be installed and doesnt cost anywhere near 500,you could get a really good 1 for 100,although like I said there are alot of pit falls from fitting a new card,maybe your PSU isnt good enough,maybe it will bottle neck your system..

If you really dont know enough about pc's then take it to your nearest shop,it isnt worth the gamble to end up with a rather large paper weight.

Does this mean any thing I try to download off the internet for a better Graphics System will not work?...Do I have to buy a New Graphics card!..I really don't want to ship out €500-€600 for a New and improved graphics card

A dedicated graphics card, (for your system at least, judging by its specs and making an assumption on the motherboard) will not cost you anywhere near that amount. For that price you could get a better computer.

More RAM would definitely be more helpful however it won't help you as much as getting a graphics component that will allow you to actually run the game because with the 1GB of RAM you already have, the game would work with that.

As the error message you get says, your system cannot deal with the graphics part of the game, so RAM is not the definite issue.

daylight But do I have to bring it to my Local PC Store?...Isn't their anything on the net which will improve my graphics card??

There is nothing on the net that will improve your system,you need a new card.

Now tbh I have no idea of your system except the little you have wrote,also I dont know your budget.

There does come a time everyone has to upgrade and if you take into consideration the new card and more RAM(altough that is cheap)maybe a good 2nd hand system would be a better choice,you could maybe pick up a system that is all set for you for the same price of a new vid card and ram(you already have the monitor).

The choice would be your's.

The only thing I would ask people who dont know alot about PC's to avoid is other posters telling them to buy a new Video card when the person who do the advising has no idea of there system,i.e there PSU.

PC's arent as simple as saying"I will stick in this new card and I am set" nope you need to make sure the rest of your set-up can run that card,if you are unsure then take it to a shop,better safe than sorry.

FootyKing, you're more then welcome. However from what I can tell is you are not very knowledgeable in computer hardware, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it is not as simple as buying a new video card. It's not like buying a new T-shirt. You must know every thing about your motherboard and what it can and cannot handle. Along with the power supply unit.

Things like the slots available for a graphics component, or the connection method. If one of these things is mismatched, you are out on a loss.

I strongly suggest that you visit a local PC repair and upgrade shop and tell them your situation. Tell them you are interested in upgrading you computer with a dedicated graphics card and they will tell you whether it's possible to do so or not.

FootyKing like I said before take your system to a shop,I will give you an example here of the problems you could face with just a new card.

You buy an 8800gt 512mg card for 70 pounds,this is a really good gamming card and will give you lots of fun,now even if your system supports a pci-e or pci slot you may not have the power supply to run it,every pc has a power supply unit(psu)and that has to be enough to supply your pc with all the power it needs.

Lets just say the 8800gt card you just bought needs 300 watts to run(it doesnt but lets say it does)and for the rest of your system you need 100 watts,ok that means you need 400 watts just to make your system run.....the problem is you only have a psu of 320 watts...that means your system will shut down more than it runs.

The moral of the story is if you dont know about your pc needs goto a shop and get the best advice possible before you throw alot of cash away.

How much do you think a good Graphics card would be?.....Decent one?..I heard a very good Graphics Card is between €500 and €600...

They can go up to a few thousand even, that's not the point. At this point, you need to get your system checked out and have them explain to you what options of graphics cards you have to choose from, if any.

Think of this like an organ transplant. Everything must match, nothing can be an exception. The same applies to installing a graphics card into your machine. Don't worry about prices right now but know that it shouldn't cost more then €100 for your system (depending on where you live of course).

As I said, first, find out what you can get by having the PC shop looking at your system as it's not just a matter of pick and buy.

look mate you are giving very dodgy advice,you can pick up a card like the 8800gt 512mb for around 100 pound new,even the newest cards would cost around 200 pound new so I have no idea were you get a few thousand just for a graphics card,you can get a brand new system with all the trimmings for around 1000 pounds.

I am sorry but I have no idea what magazine you are reading.

Who said I told anybody to buy a graphics card for a thousand bucks? I don't think you fully read or understood my post. I've simply stated that the price of graphics cards can go up to a few thousand. I did not say buy a card for a few thousand. Check the last second paragraph of post #68 if you don't believe.

As I said, depending on where you live, things are different.

Visit this site;

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=108

And tell me if you don't notice a few video cards that are not priced in the range of over a thousand. Even with the conversion rate, still in the thousands. I'm sure you look for other sites that strictly deal with premium PC parts, you would find more of the same trend.

Edit: Slight tip, arrange the cards by price. ;)

LOL,

Ok I am finished with this thread,at the end of the day any "normal" player that is looking to upgrade to play a game either..

A.Take your system to a shop and get proper advice.

B.At the very least visit forums dedicated to helping you and not some game forum were someone tells you to grab a card and you are sorted...I.E people that have no idea but want to look good.

Remember it is your cash these guys are playing with and for the most part they dont care!

^Oh I'm sorry, did you spot something?

Post #71 and #67 summed it up I think. And I would refrain from the smirky comment, it's not looked up politely by some. I'd be more than happy to continue the discussion in private if you have any questions, but please do not start with the name game.

FootyKing, I hope you get your problem sorted, mate.

I'm back... which one would you go for? What's the main differences between the Intel and AMD processors?

- Acer 5535 RM-70

- AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core (2.0GHz, 1MB Cache)

- 4GB DDR2

- 250GB HDD

- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory)

-Windows Vista Home Basic

- £399 (But I could get that down to £360 with my discount card)

Or...

- Dell 1545

- Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.0GHz, 2MB Cache)

- 3GB DDR2

- 250GB HDD

- Windows Vista Home Premium

- £399

I know they haven't got decent graphics but like I mentioned before, I'll stick to 2D on FM. Also, I'll probably want to take off Vista and install XP if it's possible?

^Oh I'm sorry, did you spot something?

Post #71 and #67 summed it up I think. And I would refrain from the smirky comment, it's not looked up politely by some. I'd be more than happy to continue the discussion in private if you have any questions, but please do not start with the name game.

FootyKing, I hope you get your problem sorted, mate.

I re-read your posts and all you did was cover yourself from my previous post,I would submit you have no idea about pc working and basically read a couple of topics about the subject and declared yourself an expert,thats maybe ok for you but like I said before you are spending other people's money.

Off the bat, I can tell you that AMD processors warm up quicker than Intel however that shouldn't be a problem if you have enough fans running within the case. Also, usually AMDs are known for being slightly cheaper in price however that trend seems to fading.

In my personal opinion, I would go with the Dell system due to the simple fact that the Core 2 Duo outperforms the AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core in most benchmarks and consumes less energy then AMD's processor. The RAM can always be easily upgraded so that won't be a big problem. The only downfall to it is the integrated graphics chip on the Dell system but if you feel like you won't be using it for heavy gaming, then you'll be fine.

Edit: Daylight, I don't know what your problem is. I covered myself from my previous posts? Read them again and see that I did nothing but suggest advice that was both financially and technologically reasonable. If you can't see that, then it is not something I can help you with. And again, if you want to prove that you cannot have a discussion without getting into the bashing, by all means, feel free to move on as I don't appreciate direct petty insults.

In my personal opinion, I would go with the Dell system due to the simple fact that the Core 2 Duo outperforms the AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core in most benchmark and consumes less energy then AMD's processor. The RAM can always be easily upgraded so that won't be a big problem. The only downfall to it is the integrated graphics chip on the Dell system but if you feel like you won't be using it for heavy gaming, then you'll be fine.

Cheers - again! Aye, the only game I'll be playing is FM09, I'm not into any other games on PC.

Daylight - What's the PSU? :confused:

Daylight, what would you like me to discuss about the power supply unit? What is your reasoning for the constant mentioning after it will do no good to FootyKing since he has admitted himself that he is not familiar with computer hardware components?

Daylight, what would you like me to discuss about the power supply unit? What is your reasoning for the constant mentioning after it will do no good to FootyKing since he has admitted himself that he is not familiar with computer hardware components?

Maybe read what you wrote and why I dont think you should give anyone advice.

Maybe read what you wrote and why I dont think you should give anyone advice.

Read post #64. Pay close attention to the first 2 paragraphs. Does that tell you more than enough of how helpful I've been trying to be? If that didn't make it any clearer, then something is missing and it's not from my posts.

Yeah post 64 certainly backs up my post 60...like I said you just change your mind to follow other post's.

look I dont care but maybe just maybe you should not advise other posters to spend there cash on something you have no idea about!

Yeah post 64 certainly backs up my post 60...like I said you just change your mind to follow other post's.

look I dont care but maybe just maybe you should not advise other posters to spend there cash on something you have no idea about!

Please explain how I "change my mind" to follow others' posts. I don't think you fully read post #64. What it clearly states is that in order for a graphics card or any other component for that matter to be properly installed into a computer, every aspect of compatibility must be reassured, which includes anything from the power supply unit to the socket type. Not to mention FootyKing mentioned he was not familiar with computer hardware and that is why I directed him to a licensed technicians office.

Maybe you yourself don't know that the PSU is not the only thing that comes into play when looking at hardware components? Because if you certainly did, you would know that there many factors that come into play and it's not just the power supply unit.

Again, relating to my point about organ transplantation. Applies to the same scenario. Many factors are involved, not just one.

Edit: If you don't care, why make a fuss over absolutely nothing? You are showing great immaturity and by making false accusations you are not making any useful statements but rather turning this into a bashing contest. With regards to that, as mentioned before, it's not welcome at all.

Ahh I see you added an edit,yes I was going too leave it alone until you added that,

Ok I see you are still on line and as you know it is the amps on the line that are important,

so as you know so much I am sure you will have the bench marks

for the PSU's and the system's...

Ahh I see you added an edit,yes I was going too leave it alone until you added that,

Ok I see you are still on line and as you know it is the amps on the line that are important,

so as you know so much I am sure you will have the bench marks

for the PSU's and the system's...

I really don't know whether you tried to throw another insult at me or what you are mumbling but you sure seem to like to hijack people's threads and turn them into waste. Let's close the lid on this as it's become into another back-and-forth jibe and let anyone that needs help continue to ask questions because as I said, if you have a problem with me, there's always PMs, and that's what they are for; private messaging. Don't ruin other people's threads because you feel the need to.

We are back on topic.

^ I would go with the second machine you have listed because Intel's Core 2 Duo has proved through benchmarks that it is superior to AMD's version of the dual-core processor. I've listed some reasons above in a previous post when comparing similar processors and the same thing can be applied directly due to the similarities in it's line of processors.

As far as the GPU or graphics component of things, the 8200M series is a slightly older model in the 8M series so needless to say, the 8400M is an automatic choice along with the better processor. Keep in mind that the GPU of most notebooks are not replaceable and you may end up buying a notebook that is good in all departments but the graphic department and you'll be stuck with a machine that doesn't do what you need it to do.

Some gaming notebooks have dedicated GPUs and they are upgradeable but your average notebook and even many of the higher-end ones have integrated graphics which cannot be replaced. Some notebooks have the connector for an external addition, but those cost more than your whole system put together so are not really worth it.

With that in mind, be careful when making a purchase as you can easily be out on a loss since there you want to be sure you are buying something that will work for your needs. However you should be fine with that setup.

I'm back... which one would you go for? What's the main differences between the Intel and AMD processors?

- Acer 5535 RM-70

- AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core (2.0GHz, 1MB Cache)

- 4GB DDR2

- 250GB HDD

- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory)

-Windows Vista Home Basic

- £399 (But I could get that down to £360 with my discount card)

Or...

- Dell 1545

- Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.0GHz, 2MB Cache)

- 3GB DDR2

- 250GB HDD

- Windows Vista Home Premium

- £399

I know they haven't got decent graphics but like I mentioned before, I'll stick to 2D on FM. Also, I'll probably want to take off Vista and install XP if it's possible?

I dont think the first one will allow you to play with 3d as the graphics are only 64mb. Dont know what the second one has though.

Just to note, people saying Vista needs loads of RAM are morons.

Vista basically needs 2gb RAM,Vista 32 only uses 3.5gb RAM but with Vista 64 will use alot more,so no people saying Vista uses alot of RAM are not morons.

To the other poster he doesnt "need"to use 1.6 for a page file he can easily use 1.0 and get better use from it.

Archived