Colour Blind and having a tough time

rhacer

I'm colour blind and I have a terrible time with the red-yellow-green colours that indicate preferred position or out-of-position players on both the Player Positions screen and the Tactics screen.

Is there a way I can change the circle colours on the Positions screen, and the little dot's colours on the tactics screen?

Any help much appreciated.

Hope you get some help with this one mate, I am sure someone here will know how to change it.

Thanks!

My sons were watching me play and said "what're those colours dad" So I explained that they're red green and yellow, and I was told "there're more than red green and yellow there dad!"

What colours would suit you from the following?

awkward

unconvincing

competent

accomplished

natural

or if you know how to do it yourself extract the "panels" folder using the resource archiver to your desktop and the position colours are in "player positions indicator.xml

hope that makes sense!

What colours would suit you from the following?

awkward

unconvincing

competent

accomplished

natural

or if you know how to do it yourself extract the "panels" folder using the resource archiver to your desktop and the position colours are in "player positions indicator.xml

hope that makes sense!

Never done it before, but I'm fairly handy with a text editor. I would have to tinker to find things that had enough difference for my eyes to notice, but I would probably start with something like the following...

Black awkward

some level of grey unconvincing

Green competent

Bright Blue accomplished

White natural

Never done it before, but I'm fairly handy with a text editor. I would have to tinker to find things that had enough difference for my eyes to notice, but I would probably start with something like the following...

Black awkward

some level of grey unconvincing

Green competent

Bright Blue accomplished

White natural

Alright, just figured out how to extract. Is there a colour list? It seems that putting a modified file back in place of the original would be unsafe. Is there a secondary position that a file goes so you don't overwrite the original, but it still gets used?

The colours are based on R/G/B - use this link: http://www.ez-calculators.com/rbg-color-calculator.htm as a guide on the colours. You can put the modified file back in place of the original and it shouldn't cause a problem. Just be sure to back-up the original in case there is one.

So I can use RGB colours in place of the colour names that are currently in the file?

Currently the xml stanzas look like this...

<colour id="colour" name="green" />
<boolean id="name"value="true"/>
<integer id="alpha"value="255"/>
<integer id="min_value" value="20"/>
<integer id="max_value" value="20" /> 

So I would replace 'green' with 00FF00 ?

Sorry! I've just looked at the 'player position indicator.xml' and you can't enter the R/G/B values. Yes there is a colour chart and it is named 'colours.xml' which is found in the 'settings' folder. You can use the link I gave earlier as a reference as a colour chart by entering the values shown in the 'colours.xml' into it. For example, if it says

<!--Player basically can't play in the position-->

<record>

<colour id="colour" name="black" />

then search for the "black" colour in the 'colours.xml' file and change it to what you want.

In the example that you gave, look for "green" in 'colours.xml'. You could change the colours that are listed by green in here if you wish. However, it may affect other areas of the game. I suggest you make a new colour called "green5" and then enter "green5" in the 'colours.xml' file under the <!--Greens--> section and enter the R/G/B values you wish for it.

In the example that you gave, look for "green" in 'colours.xml'. You could change the colours that are listed by green in here if you wish. However, it may affect other areas of the game. I suggest you make a new colour called "green5" and then enter "green5" in the 'colours.xml' file under the <!--Greens--> section and enter the R/G/B values you wish for it.

Could I not just use different colour names from the colours.xml file? that way I wouldn't have to muck with changes to two files.

Place the 'colours.xml' file in the C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\<yourskinname>\settings folder

And the 'player positions indicator.xml' in the C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\<yourskinname>\panels folder

Place the 'colours.xml' file in the C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\<yourskinname>\settings folder

And the 'player positions indicator.xml' in the C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\<yourskinname>\panels folder

Thank you VERY much I appreciate your help.

Have you tried it to see if it works yet? And no problem... so far but I will try to help you further if it hasn't worked. Remember when you have loaded the game to go into preferences and untick the 'use skin cache' box and tick the 'reload skin on confirm' box and then confirm it and check.

Am I right in thinking that this has worked? Also, isn't there another .xml file that has to be edited for the tactics panel shown in the match engine Basketcase?

EDIT: I have checked these 3 files and they do work! :D (There is no need to edit another file to make it work in the match engine either).

Ok I have made a final version of this for you including a brighter green colour. I have put it in once simple zip folder to make it easier. It also contains a readme file telling you how to install and uninstall it. You will need some software such as Winace or Winzip to extract the folder.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YM0W6VRV

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R4K8JDI0 for the tactic panel.xml

this should also be placed:

C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\<yourskinname>\panels folder

You're fabulous! Everything is working wonderfully.

I'll likely make some adjustments as time goes by but you've shown me how so I can handle that.

Thanks again.

No problem, if ever you have a problem then you know where to come :).

I just wanted to say thanks again. You have NO idea what a huge difference this has made to my playing the game. I actually had a few fellas playing in less than appropriate positions and just didn't know it. Now it's incredibly obvious.

@ leedsforever: I have done everything from your readme, but it doesn't seem to take. I've been able to edit my attribute colours, fixture colours, selection panel, etc. But this one's giving me troubles. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

leeds, could you direct your attention to this thread please :

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=76389

Hey el sid. I've looked at that thread and I'm not quite sure what your problem is. It seems as though you have fixed it so that preferred foots are shown in the opposition instructions. Is it getting it to work with the default skin that you're having trouble with?

Hmm I'm not sure. The only thing I can suggest is checking that the files are in the correct location for the skin that you are using and that you have reloaded this same skin.

Complete re-boot of FM09 and it works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Hey el sid. I've looked at that thread and I'm not quite sure what your problem is. It seems as though you have fixed it so that preferred foots are shown in the opposition instructions. Is it getting it to work with the default skin that you're having trouble with?

No that's not the problem. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to remove the second frame (the right side half) from the opposition instructions panel. You know, the one titled "Instructions" where you can set the OI for players one at a time.

• 1 year later...

So with 2010 I was hoping I could figure this out myself, but it looks like the file names have changed and the contents of colours.xml has changed.

I would love it if someone could point me in the correct direction for making these changes in 2010.

Do you use the deafault skin? Then you need to download the base skins here http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=154934

It's explained in the thread where you edit the colors (My Documents > SIgames > FM10 > skins > nameofskin > settings > nameofskin settings.xml), I don't remember if if it's filled or empty so for the tactics screen enter this but with the RGB you used in previous editions.

My colors:

<!-- position ability on tactics pitch -->
<colour name="poor" red="255" green="0" blue="0" />
<colour name="awkward" red="200" green="50" blue="0" />
<colour name="unconvincing" red="200" green="150" blue="0" />
<colour name="competent" red="255" green="255" blue="0" />
<colour name="accomplished" red="0" green="150" blue="0" />
<colour name="natural" red="0" green="255" blue="0" />

Sorry if it's wrong!

Do you use the deafault skin? Then you need to download the base skins here http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=154934

It's explained in the thread where you edit the colors (My Documents > SIgames > FM10 > skins > nameofskin > settings > nameofskin settings.xml), I don't remember if if it's filled or empty so for the tactics screen enter this but with the RGB you used in previous editions.

My colors:

<!-- position ability on tactics pitch -->
<colour name="poor" red="255" green="0" blue="0" />
<colour name="awkward" red="200" green="50" blue="0" />
<colour name="unconvincing" red="200" green="150" blue="0" />
<colour name="competent" red="255" green="255" blue="0" />
<colour name="accomplished" red="0" green="150" blue="0" />
<colour name="natural" red="0" green="255" blue="0" />

Sorry if it's wrong!

This did the trick. Thank you very very much. I now have NO confusion regarding a player's suitability for a role. White for natural, Blue for accomplished, Light Blue for competent, some light reddish tinted colour for unconvincing, Bright Red for awkward and Black for poor.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm colour blind and I have a terrible time with the red-yellow-green colours that indicate preferred position or out-of-position players on both the Player Positions screen and the Tactics screen.

Is there a way I can change the circle colours on the Positions screen, and the little dot's colours on the tactics screen?

Any help much appreciated.

i'm colorblind as well and find it horrible and have to hover over the player to see if he's natural, accomplished etc so will try what has been suggested in this thread :)

• 5 months later...

As yet another color blind FMer, I'm loving this thread. And I'm wondering how to change the colored circles representing the players in 2D view. It's quite difficult to follow a game when a team in green is playing a team in red.

Archived