AI Transfers

Hi all

Currently playing in the Vanarama South, 3 seasons in. Took some time to have a proper look around the leagues to see what’s happening around the world in my game, and was quite concerned by some of the transfer business.

The main issues I saw were 

a) AI clubs (mainly in the prem) spending millions on players, then selling them a year later for half what they bought them for; and

b) AI clubs buying multiple players in the transfer windows but then never seeming to play them (for example West Ham have bought about 5 players in game and almost every one of them fails to start even 10% of games) 

I can sort of understand issue A to an extent. Premier league clubs often overpay for players given the money they have, which quite often leads to a loss a year later when it doesn’t work out and they decide to sell. But something just seems really off this year compared to previous and feels a little bit immersion breaking.

Is anyone else seeing this or similar issues? 

1 hour ago, wattzy said:

Hi all

Currently playing in the Vanarama South, 3 seasons in. Took some time to have a proper look around the leagues to see what’s happening around the world in my game, and was quite concerned by some of the transfer business.

The main issues I saw were 

a) AI clubs (mainly in the prem) spending millions on players, then selling them a year later for half what they bought them for; and

b) AI clubs buying multiple players in the transfer windows but then never seeming to play them (for example West Ham have bought about 5 players in game and almost every one of them fails to start even 10% of games) 

I can sort of understand issue A to an extent. Premier league clubs often overpay for players given the money they have, which quite often leads to a loss a year later when it doesn’t work out and they decide to sell. But something just seems really off this year compared to previous and feels a little bit immersion breaking.

Is anyone else seeing this or similar issues? 

been an issue since the beginning of time.

• SI Staff

Not something I've noticed much in my playthroughs, I've been very impressed with the AI Signings during my current save, especially in the Prem with teams snapping up wonderkids for bargains/activating release clauses. 

Also seen some nice expensive moves, like Liverpool buying 19 year old Lamine Yamal for £110 Million, which was cool to see.

The AI (like real life clubs) will make mistakes and buy players that don't work out. But if you have specific examples, we will need save files from before & after the transfers to review further. 

18 minutes ago, CrowManager said:

The short answer is no. A high level player will pretty much never make a hugely damaging mistake like the AI can because once a player is fully scouted with exact attributes and you know what attributes to look for, it's pretty easy to never make a transfer that just explodes in your face. Obviously the signing can be meh but it's really difficult for things to just capsize.

the AI doesn't have said luxury

Sorry, what question are you responding to exactly? You’re either seeing the issue or you’re not, I’m not even sure what point it is you’re trying to make.

1 minute ago, wattzy said:

Sorry, what question are you responding to exactly? You’re either seeing the issue or you’re not, I’m not even sure what point it is you’re trying to make.

Ah yeah you're right, switched to the wrong thread, was meant for the scouting one.

20 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Not something I've noticed much in my playthroughs, I've been very impressed with the AI Signings during my current save, especially in the Prem with teams snapping up wonderkids for bargains/activating release clauses. 

Also seen some nice expensive moves, like Liverpool buying 19 year old Lamine Yamal for £110 Million, which was cool to see.

The AI (like real life clubs) will make mistakes and buy players that don't work out. But if you have specific examples, we will need save files from before & after the transfers to review further. 

Is this actually the position of SI towards AI squad building? Which has supposedly had a major improvement since the last edition? Like the OP, I'm seeing these issues constantly across multiple saves. I'm obviously not sure how the AI decides which positions it needs to strengthen but it seems off. If I'm battling a larger club for a player in the transfer market, I now back off and pick them up for cheaper a year later when they inevitably kick up a fuss for making four substitute appearances in a season. 
I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to do their job but it's really troubling that it appears SI see no problem with this area of the game.

I think this heavily depends on the number of active (not just view-only) leagues you have active. The more you have, the better the AI squad building is. I suspect that the AI is programmed to do certain things and can only do them right with the correct player pool to fish in. Without that, their algorithm does weird stuff.

21 час назад, Zachary Whyte сказал:

Wolf Of Wall Street Gif - IceGif

GIF is just a joke :D It's far from perfect, but the AI is definitely getting better every year.

23 часа назад, wattzy сказал:

To a lesser extent, similar examples occur in IRL clubs. My favourite saves are journeyman. Few years in past it was like to clean the Augean stables after move for a new club. Gradually my transfers are becoming more and more precise with every new FM. But as I said above, this is still far from 100% immersion. If you don't have high expectations, you won't be disappointed. I shared a lot of transfer issues in past few years, if you have a time and energy to do the same - it would be very useful

Edited by Novem9

20 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

I think this heavily depends on the number of active (not just view-only) leagues you have active. The more you have, the better the AI squad building is. I suspect that the AI is programmed to do certain things and can only do them right with the correct player pool to fish in. Without that, their algorithm does weird stuff.

I always load multiple leagues in full detail and this is still always a problem regardless. Right now I have 14 loaded in my current save. I don't use view-only.

25 минут назад, NineCloudNine сказал:

I add advanced players in this window. And it gives me a lot of newgens even in nonactive league

image.png.1362cd7857bb686821a7441774c35da2.png

image.png.8fff1f03bc4ab9f6576dab54c8669ae2.png

My only real gripe is that transfer logic and selection (and international call ups) still seem to be based more on CA/PA and reputation rather than performance.