Can't get performances out of a player; assistant can.

Title says it all.  Managing Napoli, trying to get good performances out of Khvaratkshelia; he's averaging a 6.8 or something over two seasons.  Rarely does anything in game.  Basic 4-3-3 system, he's a winger on attack, instructions to cut inside with ball, shoot more often.  Got a pressing forward on attack ahead of him, a BBM on his side of the pitch, mezzala on attack on the right side of midfield because I want him to have some space and not have the mezzala get in his way, full back behind him on support.  Regista in the DMC role.  Team instructions are on short passing, standard tempo, play out of defence, mid block without ball - pretty simple.  I've tried inverted winger, inside forward, all to no avail. Tried focus play down left.  Taken off and fiddled around with his instructions such as take more risks; but the analysis tab doesnt suggest he's losing the ball all too often because he's shooting wastefully, or taking too many risks with his passing, and his average position is kind of where I'd like him to be to influence the game.  He's just never really in the game.

Funny thing is, if I go "instant result", or if I'm losing 4-0 or something and he's done nothing all game, then using my tactics, when the instant result comes in, he's got 3 goals and a 9.9 rating. So what am I doing wrong? He's obviously a class player so I'm obviously misusing him.

1 hour ago, tat501 said:

Title says it all.  Managing Napoli, trying to get good performances out of Khvaratkshelia; he's averaging a 6.8 or something over two seasons.  Rarely does anything in game.  Basic 4-3-3 system, he's a winger on attack, instructions to cut inside with ball, shoot more often.  Got a pressing forward on attack ahead of him, a BBM on his side of the pitch, mezzala on attack on the right side of midfield because I want him to have some space and not have the mezzala get in his way, full back behind him on support.  Regista in the DMC role.  Team instructions are on short passing, standard tempo, play out of defence, mid block without ball - pretty simple.  I've tried inverted winger, inside forward, all to no avail. Tried focus play down left.  Taken off and fiddled around with his instructions such as take more risks; but the analysis tab doesnt suggest he's losing the ball all too often because he's shooting wastefully, or taking too many risks with his passing, and his average position is kind of where I'd like him to be to influence the game.  He's just never really in the game.

Funny thing is, if I go "instant result", or if I'm losing 4-0 or something and he's done nothing all game, then using my tactics, when the instant result comes in, he's got 3 goals and a 9.9 rating. So what am I doing wrong? He's obviously a class player so I'm obviously misusing him.

Obviously your assistant is a better tactician than you :lol:

So it seems!  But why is he playing crap?  I put Raspadori in, and he tears it up in the same position, irrespective of role.  How do you get more out of a single player you want to build a team around?

3 hours ago, tat501 said:

Post some stats like in this thread:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/583466-comparing-explaining-performance-differences/

easy. Let assistant manager manage a game and go back and watch highlights and match stats/analysis and see what he's doing right and learn from him. 

Letting my assistant manage friendlies is how i figure out which players are good at set pieces. 

i also watch u19/u21 games to see what players are good at before putting them in first team. 

"Learning" from your ass man is a very effective strategy and there's nothing wrong with that.