Reading FC

collisonmullan

Does anyone know if Readings real life financial issues are reflected in game? And if so, how?

I don’t just mean losing money, or the points deduction.
 Is it a difficult save? 
I remember last year being able to sell one player and solving all the problems very easily. Is it still like this? 

On 03/12/2023 at 15:47, collisonmullan said:

Does anyone know if Readings real life financial issues are reflected in game? And if so, how?

Is it a difficult save? 
I remember last year being able to sell one player and solving all the problems very easily. Is it still like this? 

Not sure on that but the pre-game editor has a debt of £83,189,608 repayable as 'gift upon departure' by 1st January 2042. Presumably that is to the Chairman/Owner. 

I've been planning to manage Reading in FM24 as in all my years of FM-playing, the club was never in League 1 by default. But far from being the reset that was hoped for in the summer, real life events got worse and have been putting me off. I've made some changes via the pre-game editor to try and make it more appealing, which included the following:

• Extended the transfer ban of attached players until 1st January 2025 (embargo end date 31st December 2024) which I believe is the current reality
  • Removed the Owners and Directors (other than keeping Sir John as a Director) as I could not get involved if any of them remained
  • Made the club fan-owned by choosing Member Owned with a Chairman and no elections (copied how Exeter City was showing)
  • Ticked the box to 'Stop Outside Takeovers'
  • Kept the £89m debt as it was, but changed the entry to Supporters Trust rather than repayable upon departure*
  • Removed the entry for Rich Benefactor
  • Removed all affiliate links but added Wexford for realism
  • Deleted some staff that I am fairly sure are no longer at the club (in addition if I am appointed Manager, I would mutually terminate all the people Selles brought in)
  • Changed the nationality of Basil Tuma to Maltese and corrected his data
  • Made Nelson Abbey Vice Captain

*Not sure if this means the debt will stay active, which is the intention. But as I made the club fan-owned it didn't seem to match with the original 'repayable upon departure' entry. If this doesn't work, I may instead decide to convert it to a monthly repayable loan. One way or another, I want the debt to affect the club in the way it should, so this might need some trial and error checking. I've also asked a question on the Editors Hideaway page to see what others think is best for the debt to impact the club.

Apart from checking the finances/debt, I need to decide who the best Chairman is. The best I came up with so far is Dave Kitson as he has been quite involved recently (protests & weekly columns). I also had a good relationship with Dave when our professional paths crossed in the era of the 106-team. I was going to go for Nigel Howe as Chairman for more realism, but he was not in the editor, so just switched Dave from his position of Chairman at Arlesey Town for now. I may decide to add my own person as Chairman and would name them as Nigel Howe or maybe the directors of SCL as they deserve credit for going above and beyond what a sponsor should do. If that is beyond me, I just may put back Sir John as Chairman - he can just act as a custodian rather than being expected to plough any money in.

Edited by Jogo Bonito
Added other comments

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/12/2023 at 16:19, Jogo Bonito said:

Not sure on that but the pre-game editor has a debt of £83,189,608 repayable as 'gift upon departure' by 1st January 2042. Presumably that is to the Chairman/Owner. 

I've been planning to manage Reading in FM24 as in all my years of FM-playing, the club was never in League 1 by default. But far from being the reset that was hoped for in the summer, real life events got worse and have been putting me off. I've made some changes via the pre-game editor to try and make it more appealing, which included the following:

• Extended the transfer ban of attached players until 1st January 2025 (embargo end date 31st December 2024) which I believe is the current reality
  • Removed the Owners and Directors (other than keeping Sir John as a Director) as I could not get involved if any of them remained
  • Made the club fan-owned by choosing Member Owned with a Chairman and no elections (copied how Exeter City was showing)
  • Ticked the box to 'Stop Outside Takeovers'
  • Kept the £89m debt as it was, but changed the entry to Supporters Trust rather than repayable upon departure*
  • Removed the entry for Rich Benefactor
  • Removed all affiliate links but added Wexford for realism
  • Deleted some staff that I am fairly sure are no longer at the club (in addition if I am appointed Manager, I would mutually terminate all the people Selles brought in)
  • Changed the nationality of Basil Tuma to Maltese and corrected his data
  • Made Nelson Abbey Vice Captain

*Not sure if this means the debt will stay active, which is the intention. But as I made the club fan-owned it didn't seem to match with the original 'repayable upon departure' entry. If this doesn't work, I may instead decide to convert it to a monthly repayable loan. One way or another, I want the debt to affect the club in the way it should, so this might need some trial and error checking. I've also asked a question on the Editors Hideaway page to see what others think is best for the debt to impact the club.

Apart from checking the finances/debt, I need to decide who the best Chairman is. The best I came up with so far is Dave Kitson as he has been quite involved recently (protests & weekly columns). I also had a good relationship with Dave when our professional paths crossed in the era of the 106-team. I was going to go for Nigel Howe as Chairman for more realism, but he was not in the editor, so just switched Dave from his position of Chairman at Arlesey Town for now. I may decide to add my own person as Chairman and would name them as Nigel Howe or maybe the directors of SCL as they deserve credit for going above and beyond what a sponsor should do. If that is beyond me, I just may put back Sir John as Chairman - he can just act as a custodian rather than being expected to plough any money in.

I'm loving some of those ideas! I heard Dave Kitson was involved with a failed consortium takeover before the Thai's came in I believe, so it's not that far-fetched and idea. And Nigel Howe is back involved with the club once again to try and push through this current takeover and stabilise the club.

I was hopeful we there would be progress with the takeover to allow me to manage the club after the Winter Update, but it is seeming unlikely any takeover will happen in time. 

For now I am doing a glory hunter save (I'm currently enjoying Scalvini at Atalanta) and thoroughly enjoying myself. I played as Reading FC last season and had success, but couldn't bring myself to touch them this year while the current owner stays in place.

On 31/12/2023 at 11:47, Abaddon879 said:

I'm loving some of those ideas! I heard Dave Kitson was involved with a failed consortium takeover before the Thai's came in I believe, so it's not that far-fetched and idea. And Nigel Howe is back involved with the club once again to try and push through this current takeover and stabilise the club.

I was hopeful we there would be progress with the takeover to allow me to manage the club after the Winter Update, but it is seeming unlikely any takeover will happen in time. 

For now I am doing a glory hunter save (I'm currently enjoying Scalvini at Atalanta) and thoroughly enjoying myself. I played as Reading FC last season and had success, but couldn't bring myself to touch them this year while the current owner stays in place.

Sorry for the late reply. I've decided Dave is too controversial/outspoken to be our Chairman, and Nigel Howe's appeal dwindled on the unconfirmed allegation that he may have had something to do with the rogue Chris Samuelson apparently being back around the club recently. So I've installed Mark Bowen as Chairman and just a final few tweaks to go before having everything as it should be.

I agree that taking on the club with the current owners is not at all attractive. Enjoy your time in Italy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2023 at 14:47, collisonmullan said:

Is it a difficult save? 

They're reflected yes but not as severe, you get lots of potential owners and lots of failed takeovers but normally get taken over within a season or two. 

First season isn't too tricky to meet the targets as you have a decent playing squad.