The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

Erm, an emphatic 'what Mark said' to the whole of page 18.

Can't remember who said it now, but I saw a phrase on the last page along the lines of "we just have to sit back now and wait until he makes a mess of the club". Erm, WHAT THE ****? The hell we do.

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Can't remember who said it now, but I saw a phrase on the last page along the lines of "we just have to sit back now and wait until he makes a mess of the club". Erm, WHAT THE ****? The hell we do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, other than the boycotts and phoenix funds what else is in the pipeline as they really are "sit back and wait" methods of getting the Glazers out (actually the phoenix fund isn't even that).

What are these immediate ways to force the Glazers out short of violence etc.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knox:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Can't remember who said it now, but I saw a phrase on the last page along the lines of "we just have to sit back now and wait until he makes a mess of the club". Erm, WHAT THE ****? The hell we do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, other than the boycotts and phoenix funds what else is in the pipeline as they really are "sit back and wait" methods of getting the Glazers out (actually the phoenix fund isn't even that).

What are these immediate ways to force the Glazers out short of violence etc.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me. it's about intensity and pressure, which is why "sit and wait" comments seem so wrong. IT's not going to be quick and easy, but there needs to be songs and protests at every game, stories in the media every week, to go alongside the merchandise boycotts. We need to make sure they never think they are winning the fans round, because if they think that, they will think they can ride out the storm if things don't start well financially. I don't want to see violence or threats, but there needs to be not a single opportunity that passes where they can take a breath and think we're on their side.

Erm, an emphatic 'what Mark said' to the whole of page 18.

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knox:

What are these immediate ways to force the Glazers out short of violence etc.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me. it's about intensity and pressure, which is why "sit and wait" comments seem so wrong. IT's not going to be quick and easy, but there needs to be songs and protests at every game, stories in the media every week, to go alongside the merchandise boycotts. We need to make sure they never think they are winning the fans round, because if they think that, they will think they can ride out the storm if things don't start well financially. I don't want to see violence or threats, but there needs to be not a single opportunity that passes where they can take a breath and think we're on their side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

This is turning into a mutual appreciation society :/

whs to whatever Mark, Blaine and Nick have said recently icon14.gif

Anyway onto the really important issue at the moment.

As discussed with Martin earlier, I am in the process of compiling a 2004/2005 season review quiz, and have so far got 18 questions.

A)What time/day would be best for people here?

B)Would anyone who wouldn't be able to participate like to give me a hand and basically check the questions are worded ok.

C)How many questions would be reasonable?

Email/MSN in profile, cheers icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

To me. it's about intensity and pressure, which is why "sit and wait" comments seem so wrong. IT's not going to be quick and easy, but there needs to be songs and protests at every game, stories in the media every week, to go alongside the merchandise boycotts. We need to make sure they never think they are winning the fans round, because if they think that, they will think they can ride out the storm if things don't start well financially. I don't want to see violence or threats, but there needs to be not a single opportunity that passes where they can take a breath and think we're on their side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

This is turning into a mutual appreciation society :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry Nick, i love you as well, and i'm sure Keyser does too, despite everything icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

As discussed with Martin earlier, I am in the process of compiling a 2004/2005 season review quiz, and have so far got 18 questions.

B)Would anyone who wouldn't be able to participate like to give me a hand and basically check the questions are worded ok.

Email/MSN in profile, cheers icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's rare I'm not working of an evening right now, so I'm happy to help with regards to point b) icon14.gif

Just to repeat what I said about 3 pages ago, we can't just sit around now and 'give them a chance', if they mess up then everyone will say we should have done something sooner, and they'd be right.

I'm not condonign violence, but I can understand why they are doing it. It may be idiotic but tbh at least they are being pro-active rather than the cop out wait and see verdict.

All for peaceful protests though. I'm not bothered about turning them against the fans or anything because tbh, I wouldn't trust them one bit regardless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Depends when you are thinking of doing it. I'd like to do the quiz, but if it's not at a time i'm available, i'd be happy to help with the phrasing of the questions etc.

It's rare I'm not working of an evening right now, so I'm happy to help with regards to point b) icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, well I've got the ones I have so far on paper so will type them up onto word tomorrow and let me know what you think. Trying not to make it too tedious but I've found it surprisingly difficult to find interesting stats from last season! icon_biggrin.gif

Depends when you are thinking of doing it. I'd like to do the quiz, but if it's not at a time i'm available, i'd be happy to help with the phrasing of the questions etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest I'm off Uni for the summer so any time is good for me, would depend largely on when the most people possible would be around here.

It's rare I'm not working of an evening right now, so I'm happy to help with regards to point b) icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, well I've got the ones I have so far on paper so will type them up onto word tomorrow and let me know what you think. Trying not to make it too tedious but I've found it surprisingly difficult to find interesting stats from last season! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grand. I'll be about from early evening to the early hours tomorrow so I should have plenty of time to have a gander.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Mika: which of you or Wicom had that From first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were both in the conversation and put it on immediately after he said it, so it'll have been about the same time. I didn't know he'd used it until I saw one of his posts in the F1 thread and thought it was mine. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmm... I agree with the sentiment but not really convinced with it.

Songs and protests are good but is it not a case of the same people doing to the same things in an anti-Glazer stance. The same people protesting, I just can't see what will come from it. Finance (or lack of) at the end of the day is the key to the downfall, so instead of focusing on Glazer maybe there needs to be the educating of the majority of the fans. Its because of the apathy at the end of the day, that things like the ticket boycott never really got off the ground, demand was always too great.

If the anti-Glazer camp can win the minds of the majority of the fans before the Glazers, that will be the key to it really (all in my lowly opinion of course). Focus on the support before Glazer(s).

I'm not condonign violence, but I can understand why they are doing it. It may be idiotic but tbh at least they are being pro-active rather than the cop out wait and see verdict. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't disagree more with that. Pro-activity is a blunt tool if it isn't used correctly. One is as ineffective as another, and I don't care what reasonings is behind any violence - there is absolutely no place for.

Hmm... I agree with the sentiment but not really convinced with it.

Songs and protests are good but is it not a case of the same people doing to the same things in an anti-Glazer stance. The same people protesting, I just can't see what will come from it. Finance (or lack of) at the end of the day is the key to the downfall, so instead of focusing on Glazer maybe there needs to be the educating of the majority of the fans. Its because of the apathy at the end of the day, that things like the ticket boycott never really got off the ground, demand was always too great.

If the anti-Glazer camp can win the minds of the majority of the fans before the Glazers, that will be the key to it really (all in my lowly opinion of course). Focus on the support before Glazer(s).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting to the "everday" fans is as much of the reason for the vocality as getting to Glazer. It's a case of showing both that the fight goes on. Boycotting merchandise and sponsors is a very intangible thing until the effect has finally hit home, so being vocal in other ways has to make up for that, to remind people that the fight goes on, both United fans and the Glazers alike.

I'm not saying it's right, far from it. I don't agree with it and would even consider being part of it it myself.

I just can kind of see why some people may so it, and the 'wait and see attitude' just bugs me hugely.

and all i'm saying is it won't work. songs and merchandising boycotts? icon_biggrin.gif

come on. you'll need more than that to shift him and i suspect you know it. you'll need a benefactor to come in with £800 million to get rid of him. that'll be the only reason why he goes because someone will buy him out. if that turns out to be a group of fans then hurrah for that but it ain't gonna be a sheikh or an abramovich - it's going to be another glazer.

then what? the protest songs and merchandising boycotts and violence (?) will continue until sections of the fanbase get the club back to it''s seemingly precious plc status ffs? icon_biggrin.gif

never.going.to.happen.

Watching Luis Figo's all start XI, it has Smudger and Kleberfoot for Figo's side and CRonaldo and Richardson playing for the Ronald McDonald select XI. Would of thought Miller would of been apt for the Ronald McDonaldo XI tho icon_frown.gif. Other names such as Defoe, Ronaldo, Couto also playing.

The thing you guys have to remember and realise is, that the way we have approached things so far, or the way the "not for sale coallition" have approached things hasnt worked.

Not it hasnt worked in stopping Glazer, because, realisitcally, that was never going to happen. It was naive of people if they actually thought they would achieve that. All it was going to do was hinder him and make it as absolutely difficult for him as possible, making him fully aware, him and his family were not wanted.

That phase of the quest is now over. What you have to look at, is that onyl a small minority of the fans actually came out in protest, i'd say the vast majority of fans have been quietly in favour, undecided, or actually believe that he really is good for the club, "our abramovich" if you will. These fans would have seen the way we were protesting and quite possibly have been repulsed, but certainly turned off to what we had to say.

Its not a case of fighting him, protesting and being vocal in the same way as we've been so far, its not about being violent. We are in the minority here us acting like that achieves nothing. Hes not going to go away by us acting like that, he is just not, anybody who thinks he is really needs to actually sit back and think about it.

What needs to be done now, is education of the fans who are undecided, what needs to happen now, is education of the fans who believe that Glazer will be good for the club. We ARE NOT going to achieve that by getting all aggressive and shouting abuse in their faces when they turn around and say they dont believe you, or dont want to be part of our campaign because of the aggression etc etc.

So we carry on the fight, but in a different way to before, we still campaign, we still protest. We ensure that we make the family aware, we are watching them all the time. We ensure that whenver we are involved in an article on the situation or being interviewed on the television or radio on the situation, we are clear, coherent and pleasant in our approach.

This part of the fight is about turning fans heads, getting more fans to back us than back Glazer, to have more fans invest in the Phoenix fund.

It IS a case of sitting back and waiting now in terms of the ownership of the club, there is NOTHING we can do about it, he owns it, Lock, Stock & Barrell.

Mark posted earlier saying how he couldnt believe that it was me saying some of the things that i was saying. I've not once said that i've changed my mind, but thats how i'm being painted. What i cant understand is that some of the more intelligent members of the board really are blind to the fact that we need to change our tactics and strategy if we are to win in this fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Glazer has won the vast majority of fans over already though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that. Which is why continuing we have been just will not work.

Although he's won them over, it doesnt mean, that they cannot be helped to change their minds. My point is, that the way we approached things before he owned the club is overly aggressive to get those fans we need on our side on our side. So we need to find a way of doing that which they will be receptive to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

My point is, that the way we approached things before he owned the club is overly aggressive to get those fans we need on our side on our side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does Glazer really care about a rump of fans, in the context of the worldwide support ManU have they mean nothing to him? Maybe he figured that these people would be hostile to him no matter how he approached things?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

My point is, that the way we approached things before he owned the club is overly aggressive to get those fans we need on our side on our side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does Glazer really care about a rump of fans, in the context of the worldwide support ManU have they mean nothing to him? Maybe he figured that these people would be hostile to him no matter how he approached things? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm, thats kind of my point, or are you just ignoring what i'm actually saying so you can troll?

Its not about fighting Glazer anymore, its about winning other fans over to our side.

What you have to look at, is that onyl a small minority of the fans actually came out in protest, i'd say the vast majority of fans have been quietly in favour, undecided, or actually believe that he really is good for the club, "our abramovich" if you will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that really the case?

I accept they are here now, I accept that they won't go away because of fan protests, I never thought that they would.

But we can't let them forget that we are here, without us their business plan will fail (though I think it will fail regardless but still). Personally the next time I get to OT it will only be the ticket being bought, what would you do Gregg? If a significant number of supporters can do that then it must help somehow surely? Even if it only hurts them a bit, I'd feel like I was doing something at least.

Glazer will not win me over no matter how many trophies are won during his spell here. He won't 'educate me', he can sod off.

Jesus we're going to end up like Aston Villa but with added debt at this rate /o\

does Glazer really care about a rump of fans, in the context of the worldwide support ManU have they mean nothing to him? Maybe he figured that these people would be hostile to him no matter how he approached things? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm, thats kind of my point, or are you just ignoring what i'm actually saying so you can troll?

Its not about fighting Glazer anymore, its about winning other fans over to our side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf he's hardly trolling, he's probably right.

It's not as if the fans got more angry with him as time went on, we didn't want him from the start and his advisors should have made him aware of that.

As for not fighting Glazer, of course it is, winning the fans over to 'our side' is surely part of that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Although with Essien now costing 26m+ and not many obvious targets around.. would people rather we still searched around for the midfielder we need or let Jones gradually take on the responsibility next season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love it if we could sign Essien. I think he could become the best player in his posision in a handful of years, thats how high i rate the kid. We need a quality defencive central midfeilder, a long term replacment for roy keane. We now know that we can afford him even if the amount you think it will cost us is right, and it would be a good test to see if the glazers do keep there word (as i hope they do) about making cash available to buy top players we need.

Essien plying for us icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

If we could sell Van Nistelrooy and fund or part fund the purchases of Essien and Owen, who would be in favour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

one player who isn't sure if he wants to stay or not out and two world class players in, yeah sounds good but I don't think it's realistic tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

If we could sell Van Nistelrooy and fund or part fund the purchases of Essien and Owen, who would be in favour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact i wouldnt spend more than £5m on Essien and dont rate Owen now he has lost a lot of his pace says no.

And i think we should let Ruud show us he can still do it next season before we sell him.

Ruud was unstoppable before his injury hit season last season.

01/02: 34 Goals

02/03: 44 Goals

03/04: 32 Goals

04/05: 16 goals (Missed half the season and played half the rest unfit)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

Essien is not worth anything over 10m, we could get so much better for 26m.

Owen I would love to see at Utd, but not at the expense of Ruud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with both those. Owen might be a dirty scouser, but he's still a world class forward and if he became available I'd love to see him here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The fact i wouldnt spend more than £5m on Essien and dont rate Owen now he has lost a lot of his pace says no.

And i think we should let Ruud show us he can still do it next season before we sell him.

Ruud was unstoppable before his injury hit season last season.

01/02: 34 Goals

02/03: 44 Goals

03/04: 32 Goals

04/05: 16 goals (Missed half the season and played half the rest unfit) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your a tit then icon14.gif He is a superb box to box midfielder, I know what your saying as in 26mill is over rated for sure, but he is worth 14mill. And you ask he wont do what Dj x 2 did, but did Djx2 get french player of the year? Be the driving force behind his team gaining 3 titles in a row? Get to the quarters of the champions league and were hugely unfortunate to lose.

Id prefere we just promote Jonah rather than forking out 15+ for Essien.

And fk off selling Ruud.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Your a tit then icon14.gif He is a superb box to box midfielder, I know what your saying as in 26mill is over rated for sure, but he is worth 14mill. And you ask he wont do what Dj x 2 did, but did Djx2 get french player of the year? Be the driving force behind his team gaining 3 titles in a row? Get to the quarters of the champions league and were hugely unfortunate to lose.

Id prefere we just promote Jonah rather than forking out 15+ for Essien. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Essien is so good as you are making out then why is he only worth £14m and why would you rather promote a lad from the reserves who has done nothing in the first team than buy this guy?

Archived