[FM24] New Zealand National League and Regional Divisions (WIP)

Welcome to another year of my FM update for the New Zealand Football League. I have put some extensive research into the divisions and team data etc for the file, but for some reason errors are being picked up in the advanced editor, even though I have not changed two competitions between FM 23 (verified file) and FM 24. The Auckland Sunday Football League Championship is pulling 1 team instead of 6 and the New Zealand National Secondary Schools comp is pulling 14 teams from the NZ Amateur Division instead of 30. Can anyone help me finish off this file? I included the file below for troubleshooting.

NZ League FM 24 Draft.fmf

On 19/11/2023 at 09:11, jimdownunder said:

Welcome to another year of my FM update for the New Zealand Football League. I have put some extensive research into the divisions and team data etc for the file, but for some reason errors are being picked up in the advanced editor, even though I have not changed two competitions between FM 23 (verified file) and FM 24. The Auckland Sunday Football League Championship is pulling 1 team instead of 6 and the New Zealand National Secondary Schools comp is pulling 14 teams from the NZ Amateur Division instead of 30. Can anyone help me finish off this file? I included the file below for troubleshooting.

NZ League FM 24 Draft.fmf 386.94 kB · 10 downloads

This is amazing work!

I was able to get the file to verify once by adding the Auckland Sunday Football League Championship and NZ Amateur Division teams to the list of required teams under the New Zealand ruleset.

12 hours ago, geofft said:

This is amazing work!

I was able to get the file to verify once by adding the Auckland Sunday Football League Championship and NZ Amateur Division teams to the list of required teams under the New Zealand ruleset.

Thanks, it has been a lot of work updating all the data. I will try to do what you have suggested and see if I can get it to work, before attempting to clean up the National League. Lots of little bugs like the National League appearing twice in the competition rankings screen list. Also, do you know how the competition logos appear in the competition screens? I have never been able to get the graphics to appear in the main competition tab, just the small logos work for the competitions.

Big shout out to geofft. I managed to get the file to verify. I will do some in-game testing but for now I can release the preliminary file for others to help test. I will include the OFC Champions League with updated teams for 2024. 

Issues I would like to fix are:

- Northern, Central and Southern leagues don't have a set fixture order. It's completely random and in some cases you play the same team twice in a four or five game stretch.

- The fixtures screen of the teams in the National League comes up with National League Regional Phase instead of Northern League, Central League or Southern League.

- When clicking the National League screen, the competition reputation has two National League entries.

- The logos for each competition are not showing in the competitions screen even though I have all the competition logos except for the regional cups.

If anyone else wants to add any feedback let me know. I think I have the lower divisions sorted out.

Thanks for the help in advance.

taurangacity_competitions_screen.jpg

taurangacity_fixtures.jpg

competition_reputation.jpg

NZ League Fix FM 24.fmf OFC Champions League FM 24.fmf

'Any chance you duplicated a competition but didn't change the short name? Some entries need that adjusted (even if it's just changing a letter, tabbing away, then clicking back and re-adding the letter) or else it shows as blank. As for graphics, other than clearing the cache I've noticed it can be finicky sometimes needing everything in a "logos" subfolder directly in "graphics"

23 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

'Any chance you duplicated a competition but didn't change the short name? Some entries need that adjusted (even if it's just changing a letter, tabbing away, then clicking back and re-adding the letter) or else it shows as blank. As for graphics, other than clearing the cache I've noticed it can be finicky sometimes needing everything in a "logos" subfolder directly in "graphics"

I was actually gonna tag you in this post as I see you made a file for the US, which the National league sort of mimics. I will have a look around now that you have pointed me in the right direction. At the moment I am actually tinkering with your FM23 Club World Cup file and testing in game. It looks very comprehensive. I changed a few things including the confirmed teams and hosts for 2023 and 2025 with stadiums predicted, and made the tournament 6 team versions from 2024 onwards (with the exception of the 32 team) tournaments.

Edited by jimdownunder

On 29/11/2023 at 03:29, Vakama2619 said:

Minor issue

image.thumb.png.440a0544f2da503ddb91c631bf920b9f.pngimage.thumb.png.cc07dec8e48230e3cec2ff6290cd48e3.png

Thanks for bringing that up. That is the new Terry Hobin Cup for the Stafford Choat Cup (Northland) and NRF Federation Cup winners, and the Taranaki Duff Rosebowl. Not sure why the names aren't appearing in the competitions screen.

I think they added the 32-team version themselves this year? Anyway, porting the FM23 version over isn't supported. Happy to help you with a new one but definitely don't just make minor tweaks to my work from last year and post it :lol:

edit: link has been removed from his post but this was in response to his repeatedly stealing my work

Edited by themodelcitizen

6 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

I think they added the 32-team version themselves this year? Anyway, porting the FM23 version over isn't supported. Happy to help you with a new one but definitely don't just make minor tweaks to my work from last year and post it :lol:

Maybe it was included in this version. However, I heard that it's gonna go to a 6 team version from 2024 onwards with the 2024 edition possibly being played in China. Very strange about the graphics folder because I did all the graphics for the NZ teams and league and only the teams logos and the small competition logos within a competition screen work. Interestingly the Club World Cup, Oceania Champions League and Florida Cup competition logos all work, but none for the New Zealand competitions.

I made a 32-team version for FM23 because it wasn't there already. Please don't make changes to my work and repost it here, certainly not for a different version of the game. Not sure what's going on with the graphics, try the usual clearing cache etc... any chance there's an old config file somewhere overriding the instructions?

3 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

I made a 32-team version for FM23 because it wasn't there already. Please don't make changes to my work and repost it here, certainly not for a different version of the game. Not sure what's going on with the graphics, try the usual clearing cache etc... any chance there's an old config file somewhere overriding the instructions?

Good question. It's got me stumped as have the other issues of the duplication in the competition reputation screen, and the inability to create a straight fixture list within the regional divisions in this MLS type league structure.

5 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

It would be good if some of the more experienced file developers could help the newbies, so that we could get some good files out to the community. That should be the goal so that the FM public have some novelty saves. New Zealand is a neglected league in FM, that doesn't have a lot of attention, but is interesting to a lot of people because of the hexagon challenges etc. It's quite a tricky format to replicate and there are a lot of nuances and small errors that don't get picked up, leading to the issues that I and other users posted about. I have no problem maintaining a file for the NZ league or working in collaboration with others to make the best file possible for the community, as I have a tonne of data about the league etc, but in order for that to be successful the file needs to be compatible with a decent OFC Champions League file and Club World Cup file. 

So ask away? How are you gonna learn if you just take other people's work and don't actually engage with any of the settings? Surely bringing in such a complex FM23 file will just result in glitches. Sounds like you want someone to make a similar file this year, why not have a go yourself?

36 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

So ask away? How are you gonna learn if you just take other people's work and don't actually engage with any of the settings? Surely bringing in such a complex FM23 file will just result in glitches. Sounds like you want someone to make a similar file this year, why not have a go yourself?

My work is concerning the New Zealand league file and not the Club World Cup. As mentioned above I wanted to know if there was a way to resolve the following problems:

- Northern, Central and Southern leagues don't have a set fixture order. It's completely random and in some cases you play the same team twice in a four or five game stretch.

- When clicking the National League screen, the competition reputation has two National League entries.

- The logos for each competition are not showing in the competitions screen even though I have all the competition logos except for the regional cups.

@themodelcitizen

One other superficial thing that has been annoying me:

Do you know how to remove the double up of league tables in the National League?

Besides the Northern League, Central League, Southern League and All Groups dropdown selection you have the

Northern League League Table

Central League League Table

Southern League League Table

Someone suggested it might to be with a Hidden Stage but I couldn't find anything relevant.

national_league_table.jpg

I took a look at the file, but there's so much going on, IMO you'll have to describe the set-up and what you're trying to do a bit better so someone can help. I'm not familiar with the NZ setup, from your post I assumed National League was a parent comp but it's not set as such and there aren't any child comps. Are those Southern League type tournaments groups somewhere? Stages? Comps? I'm happy to help but it should be apparent I don't have time to deep-dive into someone's complex file and figure out how everything works before diagnosing it, between here and random people messaging me on other platforms for help with their DBs I'd be doing that all day every day

1 hour ago, themodelcitizen said:

I took a look at the file, but there's so much going on, IMO you'll have to describe the set-up and what you're trying to do a bit better so someone can help. I'm not familiar with the NZ setup, from your post I assumed National League was a parent comp but it's not set as such and there aren't any child comps. Are those Southern League type tournaments groups somewhere? Stages? Comps? I'm happy to help but it should be apparent I don't have time to deep-dive into someone's complex file and figure out how everything works before diagnosing it, between here and random people messaging me on other platforms for help with their DBs I'd be doing that all day every day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_New_Zealand_National_League

Here is the link to the league information but basically as timmarkcorcoran is saying above you have the National League that composes three regional leagues: Northern, Central, Southern (similar to Eastern and Western Conference) in MLS, that qualify 10 teams to the National League Championship phase, of which one is always the Wellington Phoenix Reserve team (even if they finish outside the top 4 of the central league). These regional stand-alone leagues are under the National League umbrella as is the format for the editor for MLS, but unlike MLS, the fixtures are in a straight order and not random, hence why I brought up that problem before. Another user brought it to my attention that there is another way to setup the league structure, however I was not able to get the continental qualification to work that way. It was qualifying teams randomly for the OFC Champions League. I will include that file (new_zealand_2.7.fmf) for you to see the differences.

database_screen.jpg

new_zealand_2.7.fmf

When you first load up NZ is there anything under league settings/continental cup rules? Just curious. I can take a deeper look at the file this weekend. For that "straight" fixtures to work perfectly I'd imagine you'd have to avoid all clashes, so "check for clashes" with "none" under schedule, and under fixture rules check the box to play through international matchdays and make sure it's unchecked to stop for international finals. Even then if they're playing OFC or CWC it will probably bump it due to higher priority so you may have to test it to see what dates are actually free and use those 

Also what was the alternate structure? (summary) might be saveable with having a fate action to qualify the top two teams to the O-League

On 01/12/2023 at 02:47, themodelcitizen said:

When you first load up NZ is there anything under league settings/continental cup rules? Just curious. I can take a deeper look at the file this weekend. For that "straight" fixtures to work perfectly I'd imagine you'd have to avoid all clashes, so "check for clashes" with "none" under schedule, and under fixture rules check the box to play through international matchdays and make sure it's unchecked to stop for international finals. Even then if they're playing OFC or CWC it will probably bump it due to higher priority so you may have to test it to see what dates are actually free and use those 

Also what was the alternate structure? (summary) might be saveable with having a fate action to qualify the top two teams to the O-League

I replicated the alternate version which sorts out the fixtures not being straight, but I couldn't even get the National League Championship to run. However, the database still has the duplicate National League competition reputation entry. 

alternative_competitions_screen.jpg

alternative_national_league_screen.jpg

NZ League Alternative Version.fmf NZ League Fix FM 24 Final Draft.fmf

On 30/11/2023 at 18:38, jimdownunder said:

My work is concerning the New Zealand league file and not the Club World Cup. As mentioned above I wanted to know if there was a way to resolve the following problems:

Taking a look at that Final Draft but not sure this is the latest version, don't see any of my suggestions above. Anyway at first glance:

• I'd get rid of that "regional phase" stage name, if the groups have comps specified I think that sort of takes priority. If you want it to look the same way just name the subcomp "Regional Southern League" or something
  • You have "league settings"/"fixture order" for the stage itself AND each individual group set to "slightly random"? Why? I assume this should be set to "straight"
  • Drop the three entries you've checked under "group settings"/"rules" (the stuff like "ask competition for groups"), that's just confusing it IMO
  • Should "league settings (all groups)" have "number of teams per group" set to 2? Looks like Southern, Central etc are bigger than 2 teams each, so uncheck that entry in that case
  • To tighten this up even more, under the stage you could activate and UNCHECK the box for "randomize teams".  Go into "league settings" and set the "other league stage flag" that says "don't randomize the team order when scheduling the league"
  • If all else fails you may have to specify each fixture date on a date you know is free (yes, every single matchdate in "fixture dates" and then reflected in "league schedule"/"dates") and use break periods to block them from trying to schedule on continental/cup/CWC dates. Could toggle that "check for clashes with" option and test different ways
  • Also under "fixture times and rules"/"general", follow my instructions re: international dates in the above post
  • Logos I already answered to my best knowledge. That's not an editing question

A lot of these settings do exactly what they say and are worth testing, not skipping over. Plus you should engage with other content and collaborate on here - not just 1-way traffic. Help others brainstorm solutions when they have a problem too :brock:

Can you drop stages 1 to 3 entirely? Can the groups in stage 0 accomplish everything you're doing there? I wonder if the redundancy (having 2 Southern League tables) is causing some of the duplication.

If you absolutely need the double stages because one qualifies teams a certain way, I'd drop the "competition" entry from one set. Like, don't have 2 "southern leagues" in there. If you want it to look the same way (but one of these stages should probably go entirely), just create a new stage name called Southern League or something and use that here

And if we do have to keep them all, can either stage 0 or stage 1-3 be a hidden stage(s) (i.e. that box under "league settings" checked)? So not visible in-game?

EDIT: Under stage 4 you've set both "other competition to use" and "stage name" to something, I'd only go with 1 there (just leaving notes as I come across them now). Teams will still qualify fine from stage 0

In "other stage rules"/"take stage results into other stage" you don't need to specify the competition names here, wonder if that's confusing it too

8 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Can you drop stages 1 to 3 entirely? Can the groups in stage 0 accomplish everything you're doing there? I wonder if the redundancy (having 2 Southern League tables) is causing some of the duplication.

If you absolutely need the double stages because one qualifies teams a certain way, I'd drop the "competition" entry from one set. Like, don't have 2 "southern leagues" in there. If you want it to look the same way (but one of these stages should probably go entirely), just create a new stage name called Southern League or something and use that here

And if we do have to keep them all, can either stage 0 or stage 1-3 be a hidden stage(s) (i.e. that box under "league settings" checked)? So not visible in-game?

EDIT: Under stage 4 you've set both "other competition to use" and "stage name" to something, I'd only go with 1 there (just leaving notes as I come across them now). Teams will still qualify fine from stage 0

In "other stage rules"/"take stage results into other stage" you don't need to specify the competition names here, wonder if that's confusing it too

Thanks for the help, but after applying all of your suggestions I am met with the following error.

error_nation_rules.jpg

So when I said this "If you absolutely need the double stages because one qualifies teams a certain way, I'd drop the "competition" entry from one set. Like, don't have 2 "southern leagues" in there. If you want it to look the same way (but one of these stages should probably go entirely), just create a new stage name called Southern League or something and use that here" I meant you shouldn't have "other competition" set to "southern league" for both the subgroup in stage 0 and stage 3. You'll also need to answer this: "Can you drop stages 1 to 3 entirely? Can the groups in stage 0 accomplish everything you're doing there? I wonder if the redundancy (having 2 Southern League tables) is causing some of the duplication. "

EDIT: Also meant this "In "other stage rules"/"take stage results into other stage" you don't need to specify the competition names here, wonder if that's confusing it too"

Gonna stop now, if you don't understand my instructions then say something, don't just ignore it and keep posting the same file

If all of that doesn't work I'd also uncheck that "allow sub-comp to be viewed separately" thing, at least for testing. I'm not sure that works that cleanly, you'd probably have to go child comps if you wanted it to look like that

EDIT: OK couldn't stop myself, thought you were messing with me or it was the old file. But definitely don't make them ALL hidden stages. The user has to have something to look at

11 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

So when I said this "If you absolutely need the double stages because one qualifies teams a certain way, I'd drop the "competition" entry from one set. Like, don't have 2 "southern leagues" in there. If you want it to look the same way (but one of these stages should probably go entirely), just create a new stage name called Southern League or something and use that here" I meant you shouldn't have "other competition" set to "southern league" for both the subgroup in stage 0 and stage 3. You'll also need to answer this: "Can you drop stages 1 to 3 entirely? Can the groups in stage 0 accomplish everything you're doing there? I wonder if the redundancy (having 2 Southern League tables) is causing some of the duplication. "

EDIT: Also meant this "In "other stage rules"/"take stage results into other stage" you don't need to specify the competition names here, wonder if that's confusing it too"

Gonna stop now, if you don't understand my instructions then say something, don't just ignore it and keep posting the same file

I tried testing with all your changes and then dropping changes out one by one but this new error keeps coming up. I am not just ignoring things and posting files. I am trying to troubleshoot with you. It makes sense what you are saying but I am gonna need help with this new error that was created by following your instructions.

4 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Make the changes I've listed above, and if it still won't verify then post it here

Changing the names of the competition causes another error. I had all the settings to stop these sorts of errors from occurring.  

teams_error.jpg

I flipped the settings around for the league names to have the individual group settings in Stage 0 with the other competitions and changed Stages 1 - 3 for the stage names, but I still have that other error occurring. I took out that setting of take stage results into other stage.

NZ League Fix FM 24 Final Draft.fmf

Edited by jimdownunder

Check the "teams" entry, I think it was getting teams from stage 0 using the competition name (which I guess you've changed) but you'll have to adjust this obviously. You could list each team individually, give the Western teams a "secondary division" of "western league" and call them that way, whatever works best for you. When you're changing something like a stage name you should check the other instances where those teams are referred to (maybe the playoffs under "teams") and make sure it can accommodate the new entry.

Do we need stages 1-3? Is there a way to rejig the rules so the groups in stage 0 do everything they're supposed to do? Unnecessary duplication is at the heart of this I think

3 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Check the "teams" entry, I think it was getting teams from stage 0 using the competition name (which I guess you've changed) but you'll have to adjust this obviously. You could list each team individually, give the Western teams a "secondary division" of "western league" and call them that way, whatever works best for you. When you're changing something like a stage name you should check the other instances where those teams are referred to (maybe the playoffs under "teams") and make sure it can accommodate the new entry.

Do we need stages 1-3? Is there a way to rejig the rules so the groups in stage 0 do everything they're supposed to do? Unnecessary duplication is at the heart of this I think

I sorted out the teams problem as I mentioned above. I cannot see around having stages 1-3.

The hidden stages took care of the duplicate screens for the league tables and also removed the northern league, national league double up from the team competitions screen. The fixtures still aren't straight with this method. Would I be able to override this error by creating a custom match plan in the individual group rules of each group? The competition reputation is still doubling up also. I know I can put the reputation of the new National League Championship database competition entry to 0. That will take care of that duplicate, but it is still a mystery, the other National League entry on that screen.

national_league.jpg

24 minutes ago, jimdownunder said:

I am able to make Stages 1-3 Hidden Stages and get the file to verify. By the way from time to time I get an error saying only 1 team found in the Grand Final when I verify.

What you're seeing in that screenshot is stage 0. What do stages 1 to 3  do? If they're needed, any reason stage 0 is needed then? Why did you want two "Southern League" (for example) tables in the first place? Just trying to get my head around the setup so I can help. Guessing this duplicating everything is what's causing the National League rep issue, either here or somewhere else you're calling the same competition in multiple places (don't)

43 minutes ago, jimdownunder said:

I also cannot for the life of me get the file to verify if I change the competition name duplication in either Stage 0 or Stages 1-3.

You've got the competition set elsewhere, in a "teams" entry, or a fate action, or qualifying, or something. When you make a change like that and it still won't verify, sometimes you have to painstakingly go through the settings to see which other instances need to be adjusted

On 04/12/2023 at 02:27, themodelcitizen said:

You've got the competition set elsewhere, in a "teams" entry, or a fate action, or qualifying, or something. When you make a change like that and it still won't verify, sometimes you have to painstakingly go through the settings to see which other instances need to be adjusted

I haven't managed to get anything verified removing stages 1-3, so I am going to concentrate on getting the fixtures right and fixing any possible problems, like the Grand Final not playing because the Wellington Phoenix qualify for the final (they are prohibited from disputing the final) and are ignored by the teams rules. If I can get these changes to work in-game this thread will become a valuable tool for anyone wanting to achieve anything similar for their file. The league structure and nuances of the NZ League seem so radical that I do not imagine there are many other means of learning about all the different options to improve the overall accuracy in replication of the competitions.

grand_final.jpg

custom_match_plan.jpg

Edited by jimdownunder

Cheers, I thought you wanted some help learning how to make it work, I don't really have time to go in and make the suggested changes myself, verify, and troubleshoot further, especially if you can't be bothered. For ignoring the Phoenix, along with the qualifying rules just put an entry at the top of "teams" in the playoff with "ignore teams" checked, and use "get specific team" with the Phoenix (and one for their reserves if you want them excluded here, might need to set "team type" to reserves or B or however they're set up)

16 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Cheers, I thought you wanted some help learning how to make it work, I don't really have time to go in and make the suggested changes myself, verify, and troubleshoot further, especially if you can't be bothered. For ignoring the Phoenix, along with the qualifying rules just put an entry at the top of "teams" in the playoff with "ignore teams" checked, and use "get specific team" with the Phoenix (and one for their reserves if you want them excluded here, might need to set "team type" to reserves or B or however they're set up)

First of all, you said you were happy to help. Secondly I have commitments that don't allow me to just sit fiddling around with the editor for hours on end to make 1,000 changes to try to get the miracle combination. I am not a professional, and there are no courses to learn this stuff. I map out what I want to achieve, prioritizing some things over others like accuracy of fixtures, and I am prepared to learn new things. I have put a huge amount of work into the file particularly with specific details to the New Zealand league and have tried to implement the league structure as accurately as possible, of a neglected country that is not out of the box in game. I have generally followed your instructions where possible in order to make the file less complex, as clearly it is not quite the same as MLS.  The advanced rules editor is not the easiest thing to play around with, as you can see in these forums. Tonnes of people are seeking advice to try to make their files as good as possible. Because of the overall lack of guidance the only way to get there is by tinkering and seeing examples from other leagues/files. It's incredibly frustrating troubleshooting and banging your ahead against a wall, especially when people in the know can give you a helping hand and probably so much more efficiently. This custom match plan that you see above is something that took me a while to read up about and involved getting the league fixtures from NZ football. It isn't copied randomly from another file and then aimlessly entered into the columns and rows. I am currently working a nation rules error where the National League has not finished in time for the season update day, even though I have created a set fixture list for the Northern and Central/Southern leagues. If you want to help me, then help me work through this error, because probably it will clean this file up to a point where people will actually have a fun and enjoyable save.

general.jpg

match_times.jpg

fixture_dates.jpg

national_league_update_day.jpg

Look at my post history? Along with a few other editors, we go well out of our way to help people with their editing projects. The vast majority appreciate the help and say thanks. When you tagged me and implied it was somehow incumbent on me to either let you repurpose my FM23 work or help with NZ because it's a popular Pentagon file, I didn't realize you just wanted to thrust the file at someone, have them make a bunch of mysterious fixes, and that would be it. Hardly sounds sustainable for a working file over 2024 does it?

Yes the editor is frustrating, that's why I left incredibly detailed instructions which weren't actually implemented in the latest versions. We all want this to be the best NZ file ever but it's not my file, now it's up to you to decide if that's too difficult. If time is the issue, I'm struggling to see why you haven't just answered what the purpose of showing the league tables twice was? Such a basic part of what you're doing with the league setup and if I don't know why, it's very difficult to help. Can't read your mind

52 minutes ago, jimdownunder said:

I have commitments that don't allow me to just sit fiddling around with the editor for hours on end to make 1,000 changes to try to get the miracle combination.

This is just being disingenuous, my instructions were so detailed and clear as to be pedantic. When your response is to post another file that doesn't include most of those suggestions, it tells me you don't actually want to make a working file, you want someone else to do it for you

On 19/11/2023 at 16:43, Kitp1995 said:

I don't think I know how to help on your issue above, however do you have a version which only has the top New Zealand league and Oceania Cup?

I didn't see this message until now. Do you mean the Oceania Champions League?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 02/01/2024 at 08:34, dino88 said:

hi guys, is this still WIP or completed? What is the latest file? I've seen a few attached. 

Here is the latest file with heaps of additional coaching transfers added in. I also uploaded the Oceanic Leagues a couple of weeks ago. Combined those with the OFC Champions League file. Enjoy. 

NZ League FM 24.fmf

Edited by jimdownunder