[FM24] Boston United FC - Non League to Champions League

theBlackPrince

Season 10 - Will we ever get out of the Championship?

6th season in the Championship and we came so close last season, we just got pipped at the post. We still have the issues in the same area's and with very few players to buy, we pretty much have an unchanged squad. You can see the players that are unhappy about me not letting other players are growing, but i do have plenty of support for keeping them here (They do have a release clause which no-one wants to get close to and still have several years left on their contracts). Let's see if season 10, the 6th in the Championship will give us promotion.

TitlePage.thumb.png.a283864ab08e0b871101255fb7e44737.png

2.thumb.png.381a95a3bce6c3f37172026b82681f37.png

4.thumb.png.bcedaa9ca1b4fa5a49fef0934640c623.png

5.thumb.png.b2e9036fc68f5ee8e6e32772f524962e.png

3.thumb.png.9eb407666c54e0d58b887d9dbc4d4ace.png

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/02/2024 at 19:37, warlock said:

Just caught up... commiserations on the playoff heartbreak :(. Championship is a tough league to get out of (at the right end!)

Better luck this time :thup:

I've lost many finals and play-offs before, but this one was a kick in the teeth. I don't think I remember anything from us in the second half and just knew they were going to beat us. But we probably would not have been ready for the Prem as many of the team are still League One/lower championship players and a lack of depth in places.

On 09/02/2024 at 18:43, SpillBlood said:

That was a good read and so close!  Hopefully next season you can get out of the Championship!

Thank you, I hope so, it has been a long time in this League and with the board blocking every attempt to build a new stadium (13k capacity here), I think getting promoted is the only way to force that through!

Thank you both for checking in on the Championship plight of Boston!

Season 10 - Championship Update - August to October 2032 Update

Maybe the youngsters of Boston are finally coming together. Things looked GREAT from the first game when we smashed Coventry 9-2 (4.19xG and 9 shots on target), yes that is 9-2 and just carried on from there. We would start the season with 7 wins on the trot before finally losing to a very average Watford team, a game we should have won really. The immergence of 20 year old Gavin Thompson 29c has been especially pleasing, especially starting the season with a hat-trick against Coventry. Unhappy star player Jamie Forsdick 28f has still played well and leads the team with 4 player of the match awards, maybe, just maybe if we go up, he will be happy to sign a new deal?

It is great to see two of the Boston born players, Paul Tomlinson B28a and Kallum Stewart B24j still performing at a high level for the club and leading stats for average rating and assists.

EFL Cup - A remarkable run, beating two Premier League clubs in Brighton and then Tottenham away. We managed to get Norwich away in the Quarter Final so here is to hoping that we can produce our League form against them and somehow make the FA semi final? Luton Town make it 3 Championship teams in the Quarter Final as they drew Chelsea this round.

Season10.thumb.png.541f1dede9bad35867e7802619c608ab.png

Edited by theBlackPrince

A great start, things are set for this to be the season, also a great result away at Spurs in the cup, not so happy with that lol

EFL Cup - Quarter Final 

What a performance from our Boston born Paul Tomlinson B28a who put Norwich down in the first half with 3 clinical goals in a space of 20 minutes and a first half hat-trick. He could not be stopped and it was all one way traffic in the first half as Norwich didn't get a sniff at goal. The second half Boston were just about to take off Carter Jones (L)  but he ended up getting sent off in a silly 2nd card offence which gave the game a little excitement, or it should have. But Norwich still did not really look like scoring with just 2 shots on target for the shole game. 

Every Boston player would (except Jones) who started would grade higher than 7.1 for their rating and we saw assists from 4 different players. An overall dominant performance from the Boston United team who look forward to a semi-final game after over-performing so far in the EFL Cup.

Season10(2).thumb.png.845ee060c77177af6937f4060502dd10.png

An the draw is in, and what a draw it is!!!! The two Championship teams face off with Boston having the advantage in the first leg with a home tie against cash-strapped Luton Town before going to Power Court (New Stadium built in 2030 with a 19,500 capacity). This gives both Luton and Boston a huge prize to get to a Wembley final in what will certainly be an impossible task, but that won't stop either set of fans from dreaming about Cup success.

Season10(3).thumb.png.228102c99fb17cb3a107c6b3e84a0f24.png

Edited by theBlackPrince

2032/33 Season - Championship Update November and December

We continue at record pace to the title (hopefully) and will hopefully avoid any meltdown along the way. I'm pleased that we still have a few of the Boston born players performing at a high level as keeping as many of them in the first team is a key aim. Not much else to say from this update, we just keep moving forward and aim for that promotion!

Season10(4).thumb.png.c350ce3e1be5bc8c90144f12106313e9.png

EFL Cup - 2032/33 Final

Boston United face off in an historic final for the club, but face a mighty task in defeating Premier League Club and 3 time winner Arsenal. They last won in 2027 over Manchester City but lost to them in both the 2029 and 2031 finals. This is going to be a huge task for Boston against an Arsenal team who will be expected to win.

It is interesting to see that Boston needed penalties in both the First and Second Rounds, how different the season competition had been if they had not stepped up and won those. 2 Premier League teams would follow and then it would be a great run to the final with two championship teams to beat. One could say Boston have had a great run to the final, with just the big win over Tottenham as the real stand out result. 

Route to the Final - 

First Round - Huddersfield 1-1(p)

Second Round - Accrington Stanley 1-1(p)

Third Round - Brighton 2-0

Fourth Round - Tottenham 1-0

Quarter Final - Norwich 4-0

Semi Final - Luton 11-5 (agg)

Season10(6).thumb.png.85aefbc37baf95189e68790a0b529995.png

Season10(7).thumb.png.2dfc566497984fa1f93d857b6b5f5af4.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

Advantage Boston United - 08:27 - Goal for Boston United

Boston United 1 - 0 Arsenal

A throw in from Courtney Jelfs B27e to Gavin Thompson 29c, played back to Courtney Jelfs B27e which drew the man from Gavin Thompson 29c. Arsenal left him free in the box and from 8 yards out, 20 year old Gavin Thompson 29c smashed home to go 1-0 up inside 10 minutes. In the downpour of the game, Boston are feeling at home and Arsenal look all out to sea.

Season10(8).thumb.png.e5c7c1b7a2ba9efb66185e936de358e4.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

Boston gift Arsenal a goal 39:43 - Goal for Arsenal

Boston United 1 - 1 Arsenal

it would be from a well worked free-kick routine that presented Ethan Nwaneri the simple tap in when Nicholas Adamu LC24 failed to clear the ball from his own 6 yard box. Instead of booting it away his touch was head and that left Ethan Nwaneri free for the simple finish. Harsh for Boston to concede such a soft goal before the half. 

Season10(9).thumb.png.16fe2c125dd262c26476d48a81af23e3.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

Half Time - Boston United 1 - 1 Arsenal

Boston United will be the happier of the two sets of fans despite conceding that goal just before the half. They have been the better team so far and maybe should have been 2-0 up. The two wingbacks for Boston are causing some issues and Boston have had much more of the ball. Their does not look like a division between the two teams at this stage but will the Arsenal team come out in the second half and start to turn the screw?

No changes for me at the half, I want to get Kallum Stewart B24j on at some point once either wingback starts to get tired. Formation wise we are doing well and the defensive midfielders are holding their own. Playing Jack Larkin 30a was a gamble, but so far he is performing well at the heart of the defence. I am not getting excited for this game after the play-off game last season....

Season10(10).thumb.png.5a1fde1ed6da04d63b3a2396b0a2645b.png

Edited by theBlackPrince

EFL Final - Live Stream

Advantage back to Boston - Goal 71:17 -  Boston United 2 - 1 Arsenal

Courtney Jelfs B27e would whip a dangerous cross into the box from the right hand side. 4 on 3 in the box and Jamie Forsdick 28f would tower above all, only to see his header crash off the bar. The ball landed on the Arsenal defender and it would that man again making a name for himself, Gavin Thompson 29c reacting quickest to toe-poke the ball home from 2 yards out. Boston United back in front, just over 20 minutes to go.

Season10(11).thumb.png.dec6365e3159f57632147ec86be77fe6.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

Boston fall asleep from the kick-off - Goal 72:13 -  Boston United 2 - 2 Arsenal

The lead would last less than a minute as Boston would fall asleep, 3 passes later and Ethan Nwaneri played a beautiful pass to Mathew Alozie who had a one-on-one with the keeper, he calmly slots it past him and its back to 2-2. Boston really caught celebrating and with their pants down. 20 minutes to go, all to play for.

Season10(12).thumb.png.314281e36297c80f25d7dd739c2645af.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

Boston re-take the lead - Goal 84:22 -  Boston United 3 - 2 Arsenal

Oh my days, oh my days. I mentioned Kallam Stewart B24j at half time and the Boston kid, who probably was unhappy at not starting but is a team first guy, bombed down the left, beat his man and as he has done so many times this season, put the ball into the mixer. How the keeper has missed it I will never know but Nicholas Adamu LC24 made up for his previous error at the other end and stabbed home from 2 yards out. It was not pretty, but they all count. 

Now we know how Sheffield United fans from last season felt scoring late on (at the minute they have surviving the drop too). We move to a defensive 5-2-2-1 formation to try and hold on. It is risky as teams always seem to score when I go defensive, but I would hate myself more leaving us in our current formation and conceding straight away.

Last push, can we do the impossible??

Season10(13).thumb.png.f7f92a03b9f04d0ffa1db1d9e399bab4.png

EFL Final - Live Stream

They think it's all over, well it is now!!! Boston United 3 - 2 Arsenal

On a rainy day in London, the mighty Pilgrims of Boston secured their most famous victory in their 100th year as a club, defeating the Gunners of Arsenal 3-2 in the EFL Cup Final. We have only bloody gone and done it, we held on pretty convincingly in the final 10 minutes as the lads, well the lads they REALLY wanted this and they didn't want to give it up a 3rd time. 

BOSTON UNITED - 2023/33 EFL CUP CHAMPIONS

I also hadn't even thought of what this meant until the email came through the next day. For the 100th Season of Boston United, they will be playing in Europe in the Europa Conference League! I probably will be blitzing through the rest of the season now as next season is going to be epic.

Season10(15).thumb.png.5fd59441eab896bfd4a3c3eb469d24a0.png

Season10(14).thumb.png.85c70c900dc10e281e0222abb5b9fdb9.png

Season10(16).thumb.png.d54db59cfc99e7e438838c844f6ace96.png

In all my years of playing, this might be the most satisfying game I have been in charge for. 

2033 Youth Intake

I take the star ratings with a pinch of salt as always. Some of the better players have not been an "A", "B" or "C" tagged player and still performing well for the team. It is another excellent intake which is very promising, especially as we need to get most of the players ourselves with very few others coming in from Lincolnshire.  It is interesting how we have had an intake with an Iraqi and Iranian, never had either before. We still only get a couple of Boston born players each year, I wish it was a few more.

Season10(19).thumb.png.cb57e2f65c0ed1f06dcfdb5c40b05ea6.png

Season10(18).thumb.png.9fe42b35884690a487934d1d677f23cb.png

End of Season 10 - Championship and EFL Cup Double

We would set the Championship on fire from the first game to the last, getting ourselves a few records in the process, namely most points and most wins. We would end up doing the double with a famous EFL Cup Final win over Arsenal to really put Boston, and Lincolnshire, on the map. Heading into the Premier League and into Europe might be a tall ask for the players, with few signings out there we will be relying on keeping the players we currently have and keep bringing the youth players on.

Season10(20).thumb.png.ed54f78b537ded5090955d4c502f05f8.png

Season10(23).thumb.png.cfc5d8a063c848f78ed3fb298d64342b.png

Season10(22).thumb.png.eb0da139e8469ace4b88b885f77fff48.png

Season10(21).thumb.png.7eed4b437ac3757dcdcada6f3e5f5864.png

Season 11 - Premier League Football with a Bonus of Europe

Into the Premier League we go and we actually have a smaller stadium then we had last year, the board keep refusing to talk about building a new one so I wonder if they are looking to sell in the future? We managed to get all our star players happy and signing new deals so everyone, including Luke Forsdick 28f who is earning more than anyone else and has a relegation release clause. With few targets to go for, we took a chance on Sam Nottage (L) from Coventry. For £5,000,000 up front and then £7,000,000 after 50 League Appearances, that gives us plenty of time to try before we fully buy if he doesn't progress as he could do.

TitlePage.thumb.png.0fdfecf9662942ad6e0c0c5eb25dcb0a.png

2.thumb.png.de4d27a67e00cbeafb474ba0095192a3.png

5.thumb.png.552e5d0b8231f163a8de511a314d12fb.png

3.thumb.png.bd96d3c1297e91e2e1ffdf4ff0ce11e1.png

4.thumb.png.55ab97099d8b52b76e694f525733c1d0.png

2033/34 First Team Squad

The squad is pretty much the same as last year, a few players have dropped back to the under 21's to try and either find a loan or they are just not at the level needed, but will be called upon if we find ourselves needing depth. Many of these players have come up the ranks from our academy and non-league up to the Premier League which is a huge achievement for a couple of players, let alone most of the squad. We will be relying on our key players to lead this team to safety and have some fun in Europe at the same time.

6.thumb.png.839af8299fc97b7f45e6f5f73487303a.png

7.thumb.png.e03cde37cffa413d215471a37eae3fe8.png

Boston United - Our First Games in Europe

We would start our first game in Europe away in Slovenia and we would come away with the 3-0 win, we would make that a 6-1 aggregate score to comfortably get through to the Europa Conference League, League Phase. The aim would be to be ranked in the top 24 teams and qualify for the play-off's and anything after that would be a huge achievement. We may be a few seasons before we get back to Europe so we will make the best of it, have some fun and see if we can progress in the competition. I would really hope we would be better than 4 teams on the list already, but they may be use to playing in Europe and wit tough away trips to Belgium and Portugal, nothing is given.

Season11.thumb.png.4287cb2e3d4259e83776b40dbb89a02b.png

On 11/02/2024 at 14:57, theBlackPrince said:

End of Season 10 - Championship and EFL Cup Double

Wow, Great season!  How satisfying that must be. Very much enjoying the story and your recaps.... The live stream of the finals had me on the edge of my seat just waiting for Arsenal to come flying back - and they didn't... so cool!

On 11/02/2024 at 23:40, warlock said:

Outstanding season :applause:

Thank you, it was long overdue with Promotion and the Cup win was a big surprise!

On 13/02/2024 at 01:21, mpm2342 said:

Wow, Great season!  How satisfying that must be. Very much enjoying the story and your recaps.... The live stream of the finals had me on the edge of my seat just waiting for Arsenal to come flying back - and they didn't... so cool!

I was starting to get a little frustrated so the Promotion was very much needed :) I'm glad you liked the "live streams", they take some work (And I've spotted a mistake on a photo that's the same, oops) but add a little immersion to the story!

You and me both, I was just wating for them to score as every highlight at the end was them on the attack...

On 13/02/2024 at 05:20, ChaosReiter said:

Excellent layout, pretty sure you're a UX designer or some similar job position. xD.

Thank you!! I am nothing to do with design or graphics, don't think I'll be hired in that sort of field either!

Season 11 - Our unexpected Euro Adventure

It was unexpected and somehow we made it into Europe last year as a Championship Team, but it looks like we can compete, at least at the Europa Conference League level! I expected to get a result against Larne and Newtown, but the victory on the road at Braga as something special! Taking the lead right on the death before the half changed the game and we came out swinging in the second half and secured the game. We currently sit as one of the 5 teams that has not dropped a point, but we have Club Brugge away in the next leg which will really show if we are able to progress in this competition or not.

For a player only grading out as Championship Level, Nicholas Adamu LC24 is on fire with 6 goals in 3 games, scoring at least 1 in each and a hat-trick in Wales!

Season11(1).thumb.png.fa7a53c7811073700db2437625564c0f.png

The one injury we struggle with

We have cover in most positions now, with the exception of the keeper. Jobe Bendon (B) breaking his arm at the end of the game really has set us back, but he ll be back for the next stages in Europe and hopefully wont miss too many games in the League. The club has also taken out a loan to increase our transfer budget when we are making £2,000,000 a month currently, madness. Just the £2,750,000 in interest to pay back on that. How about you sort the stadium out, much better use of money.

In the league we sit in the Europe spots in 7th, performing well seems we have the extra games in Europe to navigate. Little too early to really see how we will do this year but if we are not fighting to stay up that is a huge bonus!

Season11(3).thumb.png.29a623d75b1b1aa10211f0214da2b64d.png

Season11(2).thumb.png.34a3879b4a0e01dc1afd5329ffdc2bc8.png

7th is fantastic.  You are already 15 point clear of relegation, so hopefully can focus on the Europe spots without worrying about that.  The team seems to be benefiting from playing together for a few years.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Season 11 - A rough December in the League but in Europe we remain unbeaten!

I haven't been on for a while but will try and get the season going again. December was rough for the League form, but we were doing far too good in the League and way above where we should be. Back down the table with a bump and to 13th place, but the bottom 3 look in terrible form so we are not too worried yet! Staying up is the only aim and another 17 points should be enough this season. I did forget that this is the first season in the Premier League after what seemed like 20 years in the Championship!

Season11(5).thumb.png.0417fbe6b46ce54009ade09ca1ae4c21.png

But in Europe in the Europa Conference League, we are at the top of the charts with 6 wins in 6 games, the only unbeaten team with 18 points and a leading -17 goal difference. Club Brugge also qualified but that is it from the teams played so maybe, just maybe we didn't play many teams that were likely to progress. It will be the end of January when we find our next opposition.

Season11(4).thumb.png.c11341e37308f6d56b62c506c7c44049.png

In Europe we continue!

In Europe we were drawn against Austrian team Austria Wien in the UEFA Europa Conference League round of 16. We would take a 2-1 away victory back home to the Jakemans Community Stadium where the party atmosphere was bumped up another few levels with a convincing 5-1 victory behind a Paul Tomlinson B28a hat-trick. This would put us in the draw where we had hoped to avoid a big team, but we would draw Italian giants Roma in what might just be a hurdle too far for this young Boston team!

Season11(6).thumb.png.1e4625689a59227125d142391faee53b.png

Season11(7).thumb.png.99798ef1551206f7d974f754baab1eea.png

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final 

I was not planning an update here but with the way the team somehow came back from the depths and with 10 men, deserved it's on post. It will be so tough to get a result in Rome but this result was special! May have to look at something special with tactics as I feel they should tear us apart.

Season11(9).thumb.png.1bc2377b2c6b651c70c8a2c9795beaaa.png

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final Leg 2

Oh what a night in Rome for the Pilgrims as Boston United sealed their place in the Semi-Final's with a performance that left the purists with a bitter taste in their mouth. An early deflected goal from Nicholas Adamu LC24 was the slice of luck Boston needed. He didn't know anything about it after Kyle Barrett LC26's shot barrelled into a wall of players. The Roma keeper didn't even see it, but Boston had the lead early on. The rest of the first half was forgettable, Roma had chances but were struggling to hit the target and Boston would lead 0-1 at the half.

The home fans were sure their team would take victory in the second half and were awarded a penalty in the 57th minute. Player of the game Jobe Bendon (B) at full stretch would pull off an almighty save  away to his left, and just like that the home fans deflated. What a save, a game changing moment for the Boston born keeper. Boston moved to a more defensive formation, 4-3-3 from 4-2-2-2 and then finally to a 5-3-2 to hold on as Roma peppered the goal and apart from the last kick of the game hitting the bar, Jobe Benson (B) had it all covered.

And as the whistle went, the travelling fans vastly outnumbered in the 65,000 seater Stadio Olimpico were the ones cheering, Boston United had done the impossible once more. 

Season11(10).thumb.png.abc8d1aeb4f4ca0edb64d586bc7e3363.png

2034 Youth Intake

I don't know what to make of these anymore with the players coming through the ranks each year. I take each one with a pinch of salt and see who comes out as a potential to make it to the first team once they have completed their time in the under 18's and then loan/under 21's! Less Boston and Lincolnshire born players this season which is a shame.

Season11(11).thumb.png.6f05b2238b51094c66e98b4995994df1.png

Europa Conference League - Semi Final

It was quite a routine Semi-Final against Lyon as we won the home leg 2-0 and battled on the away leg to claim the 2-3 victory which gave us the 5-2 win over the 2 games. This would set up a mouth watering final in Sweden as we will face FC Schalke 04 in the Final as they beat Greek side Olympiacos 5-1 over the two legs.

Boston United's Euro Adventure continues to the Conference League Final, who would have thought this was even possible?

Season11(12).thumb.png.c4feb752d6af2bc144d91d2c8232ce43.png

Europa Conference League - Final

In what can only be seen as a massive reach for Boston United, they have played 14 games in the Europa Conference League and head to the final, undefeated. With 13 wins and a draw to Roma, the run has been sensational and something that no-one would have forecasted at the start of the competition. 

Season11(14).thumb.png.dd7716fd6b3ed75a1c98f038b8c020f5.png

With 5 Boston born players in the starting 11 and a remarkable 9 players from the Boston United Academy, this team really is home grown and full of local talent. Can Boston find what is needed for one last push and a European Trophy, or will it be heading back with FC Schalke 04 who won it in 2029/30, beating Rapid Wien?

Season11(13).thumb.png.c103681253532443e27d53dd3391e4ab.png

UEFA Europa Conference League Final - Boston United vs FC Schalke 04

0-0 heading into the last ten minutes as Boston United struggled to make their chances count despite several clear cut chances. Was the occasion getting to the young Boston squad? And then it happened, 84th minute and the German side would score a simple headed goal from the corner as Maximillian Dietz headed home at the near post. A huge goal at a time which really left Boston with a mountain to climb and only minutes to go. 

But in the 91st minute it would take a Boston connection to force the game to extra time as Courtney Jelfs B27e drove to down the wing, put a inch perfect cross over for Paul Tomlinson B28a to head in from 6 yards out. The Boston fans erupted in celebration (as did I) as we had got that vital goal in the dying seconds of the game. We needed it, we deserved it at that point. What a relief and it was fitting it was two Boston born players who saved us.

And into extra time we went and as the charts showed, it was one way traffic. Schalke 04 looked down and trying to hold on for penalties after that late Boston United equaliser and it was only a matter of time before Boston scored. It would come via a spot kick which Nicholas Adamu LC24 put away with ease and Boston United would hold on for the comeback victory.

Boston United, your 2033/24 UEFA Europa Conference League Champions!!!

It genuinely felt like a game we was not meant to win, we just could not put the ball in the net. When they scored late on I was sure that would be it but a great effort to get to the final! This does mean we get to play in Europe again next year which is fantastic as we may still be a few years away from qualifying from the League. What a night, what a game and what a result for Boston United.

Season11(1).thumb.jpg.c81327f2b3fb9bc984ca15c7d961f6be.jpg

Season11.thumb.jpg.aa3abc56beae2bf4574f0ff9bc4fca55.jpg

Season11(3).thumb.jpg.c24936617d26f9c17516264d0d461f50.jpg

End of Season 11 - Season Summary

Europa Conference League Champions

I guess with our little European adventure, I genuinely didn't care much about the League as we were safe due to 3 very poor teams, so there was really not much updating. We comfortably finished outside the bottom 3 despite resting starters in several games before a match in Europe, but that paid off big time having a fresh starting-eleven. 

We head into the Europa League next season and will aim to keep pushing up the League Table. With few transfer targets from Lincolnshire or Lincolnshire clubs (Lincoln City once again relegated from the Championship) we may see some big salaries for key players to keep the team together!

Season11(4).thumb.jpg.1ee4f8cff06ba95707a67bd60617aa10.jpg

Season11(5).thumb.jpg.5fdce087dd33da80cadb511dd5e2141c.jpg

Season11(6).thumb.jpg.c52464d0b0e281341d3b2f369466bb22.jpg