Player refused higher salary offer (but joined me anyways)

I was trying to bring in a DC (image below). As I saw other clubs making him offers, I went to to the contract negotiation page and made a few tweaks to make my offer more attractive: I increased the salary by nearly 20% along with better bonuses (but also a higher release fee, even though he's already 33).

His agent promptly refused all my improvement offers. The player did accept my offer and joined my club a week later.

That's the first time I see a player refusing a higher salary in FM. Have you seen this before?....

That's him:
image.thumb.png.bf12e3e65c14299932bd4e6f99bab024.png

Edited by phd_angel

It happens with me, If other clubs are interested and I really want the player, I have to up my offer quite a bit.
This happens more with young players (16/17) turning me down to stay where they are on very much lower wages.

Edited by starbugg

That seems off if I’m honest. Generally in cases like this, they would just lower the release clause and leave your improvements intact. Or in older FMs, lower the release clause and then increase the wage demand…

I’m assuming you didn’t touch the agent fee?

17 hours ago, gunner86 said:

That seems off if I’m honest. Generally in cases like this, they would just lower the release clause and leave your improvements intact. Or in older FMs, lower the release clause and then increase the wage demand…

I’m assuming you didn’t touch the agent fee?

Correct. Agent fee was the same. I increased the salary offer and bonuses as well as the minimum release fee (Given he is already 33, I thought he wouldn't mind). The agent reverted all offers back to the previous offer levels. Over the next few days, they evaluated offers from other clubs and a week later, he accepted to join me at Cadiz. This behavior (refusing a higher salary and joining me) was a first time I've seen.

• phd_angel changed the title to Player refused higher salary offer (but joined me anyways)
19 hours ago, starbugg said:

My post above doesn't make sense now because you edited your original post.

Most commenters understood my original post but a couple didn't. Thus, I edited my post to increase clarity, but the original meaning remains the exact same.